Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bonitis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New boots
    Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 8:03am
So I've had the same pair of Burton boots for about 6 years now...I only go about 10-15 sessions a year, so they're still in good shape, but figure it's time for a new set. After some research, seems like the best companies for boots are Burton and Salomon. I'm also very interested in the Nikes. Does anyone have any recommendations? I prefer the traditional lacing compared to the boa or quick-pulls. I usually just cruise the mountain and hit the park a little. Nothing crazy in there, so I guess a mid-flex boot would suit me?
thedru13 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 9:03am
I rock Burton Sabbaths. Love em. My buddy just got a pair of DC judges and he LOVES them. Was a huge burton fan boi but has really been enjoying the DC's. they are stiffer than the burtons and are a boa but he seems to really like all the adjustments. He rides both park and mountain. I have read good things about the Nike ones as well. I would go try a few pairs on and wear them around or hit up a demo day if you can see what you can ride...
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 10:11am

You're probably going to hear this a lot, but boots are the one piece of equipment you should really decide on by listening to yourself and your feet. Bad fitting boots will ruin your season faster than anything else.

Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
jenni View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 10:13am
Originally posted by julius77

You're probably going to hear this a lot, but boots are the one piece of equipment you should really decide on by listening to yourself and your feet. Bad fitting boots will ruin your season faster than anything else.

+1 you really have to fit it to understand what everyone is saying. l had a pair of boot based on brand and price, and it was horrible. swapped for a cheaper one and it feels even ebtter
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 10:48am
NOT Salomon.  I think I've grumbled about them elsewhere on here, but essentially my experience is that the quality is poor and their customer service is unreachable.  Only non-toll free international phone numbers are available.
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 10:54am
burtons hurt my feet too much.  i just got a new set of 32s for this season and they are AWESOME!!!  i will never go back to burtons again.
be talkin to ya
hawkeyepnx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 11:07am
Personal suggestion, find a brand that fits, try them on towards the end of the day when your feet are swollen and bring your boarding socks. Then when you know what brand you like, decide sort of flexibility you want and the things you need from a boot. Take logical steps to find what suits you best because it seems jumping at a purchase will cost you more in the end and sore/tired feet are the worst
azngolfur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 11:33am
When I went to look for boots I had my mind made up on some burtons... after trying a bunch on I ended up deciding between a pair of Solomans and 32's... All the burton boots had pressure points everywhere on me and were just not comfortable whatsoever.

Like other people said, boots are something you have to find the right fit, you could just make up your mind and say I want Burton's or Saloman's.. but then you might not get the best boot for you.

I went from hand me down boots to Saloman boots (super comfortable), to now a pair of 32's (EVEN BETTER) with the BOA lacing system.

Once you figure out which boot company makes the best fit for you, they offer boots with the 3 different lacing systems.

Also, friends kept urging me to get speed laces or traditional laces vs BOA, now that I have BOA I don't think I would ever go back. The technology is really so much better now that before that many of the issues of BOA or speed lacing are gone.

Good luck!
Wzila View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 11:38am
I love my burton imperials they get more comfortable as you've rode them the liner molds to your foot no pressure point whatsoever. but ya find whats comfy and is the right flex you want and go with that 
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 11:45am
Originally posted by julius77

This is 100% true!  Always try boots on.  Any quality brand.. just get the boots that fit the best w/ the flex you like best.
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 11:48am
i have burton mints which i have worn for 3 seasons of heavy use and they are holding up great.. 
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 12:03pm
a lot of people have told me something to that effect: "I've had these boots for decades, but they're so soft I hate to get new ones.  They're like a pair of tennis shoes."...and I'm thinking: "Those boots are long past toast and you're holding yourself back."

you have almost 100 days on them, so, depending on the boot, the liners could be packed out and the shell's flex may be compromised...yeah, you're probably due new boots

I agree salomon isn't the longest lasting boot, but, they fit my feet so much better than any other brand I've tried, I'm on my third pair.  Like most brands, your experience will be better with their mid-high end models (Dialogue or better)...if they fit you correctly.  I also think their lacing system is kick ass.

jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 1:12pm
after reading Piranha's posts it made me think.
If you've had your boots for so long and they're still in great condition, fit your feet great with really no complaints WHY even get new boots... they're "due" just doesn't really cut it. I don't see the point unless you just want new gear then that's something else.

If I was finding my boot getting wet and damp all the time or its been beaten up so bad that it's not supportive as it use to and just isn't comfortable anymore then I would look at getting a new pair.

I've got a pair of Burton Rulers, I dunno which year they've served me well so far. But recently I've found them hurting the back of my calf, just above my Achilles.  When I'm flexing my foot to try and go on my tippy toes inside the boot all tied up, It hits a pressure point which causes so much pain... don't remember it doing that before.  you notice the pain pretty quickly within a min or 2 so you can try that if your trying on boots.
(i dunno why i do that, go on my tippy toes, guess i'm trying to stretch? hahah prob pointless) 
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 1:53pm
My right boot started to come apart and I found my right foot was getting cold and wet everytime I went out. One of the seams/seals broke and the two parts were coming away from each other, letting water get in. So, I epoxy'd the crap out of it, duct taped over it (to keep the seam closed) and voila- now re-waterproof'ed snowboard boots. Sanded the epoxy down and good to go. I had to repeat the process, as the epoxy later cracked, but they still work. Thank God, because boots are expensive and this pair fits me well.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Piranha

I agree salomon isn't the longest lasting boot, but, they fit my feet so much better than any other brand I've tried, I'm on my third pair.  Like most brands, your experience will be better with their mid-high end models (Dialogue or better)...if they fit you correctly.  I also think their lacing system is kick ass.

+1
I went with Salomon bc they had some of the best heed hold for my foot. I am on my third season (about +100 days) with my boots and they are loved but still running well. They did pack out a bit but this is the most I have days I have put on one pair of boots, so I don't think it is abnormal. I think this will be there last season.    
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 3:11pm
I like the fit of Ride and K2 boots.  The burtons were too loose and 32 were to tight.
What I have found though is that if you like the fit of a particular brand then the rest of their line will fit good as well.  
Maybe you should just upgrade to a higher end or newer Burton boot?
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2012 at 3:31pm
If you can as well buy a pair of lighter boots.
I feel mine are too heavy.. or at least can be lighter...
Bonitis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 8:06am
that's the main thing..i tested a pair of new boots (deeluxes?) and found them to be so much lighter and more padded than my current burtons. guess i didn't know what i was missing with the newer tech, but that's what spurred me to look into getting a new pair.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 8:15am
Yeah some of the new tech is really convenient...quick laces, lighter boot, nice padding, hopefully the newer padding doesn't pack out too! but i dunno about that..
I wanted a new pair for lighter boots but I'll consider this a little training lifting these heavier ones. hahha
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 8:35am
I just got some 2011 salomon dialogues and they're actually heavier/bulkier than the 2009 dialogues I previously had ...but the new ones are apparently better built, a bit stiffer out of the box and have some new tech.  I'm guessing these might last a little longer. 
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
New 2012 setup for outerwear

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 12:09pm
I have 2010 nike zoom force 1's and love them. Definetly worth every penny i spent on them. They do run a true size to regular nike shoes. I wear a size 12 shoe and bought a size 12 boot. My toe touched the end but didnt curl over so that is a perfect fit. After they were heat molded and worn a couple times they fit perfect. 
11 Dc lauri pro tone, 11 Rome s90 bindings

Check out www.wonsnow.com
Bonitis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 12:42pm

thanks luv2shred. I'm looking at the 2011 black zoom force 1's. is there a marked difference between the 2011 to 2012? How do you like the lacing system? This may be a dumb question, but how/where do you get the boots head-molded?

Bonitis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 6:45am
just bought the Nike zf1's...the pewter/red/orange color. tried em out for a day, little squished on the right pinky toe, took them in to get heat molded, now fits like a glove.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 7:13am
^ Did you get them molded at a shop, or did you mold 'em up yourself??

I was looking pretty hard at the ZF1, but there was nowhere close that I could try them on. :-/  
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Bonitis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 7:18am
I went to the shop I bought them at since they do it for free. Took about 30 mins. The guy warned me against heat molding before riding them more...but I just went ahead with it. he said they'll get really packed out. any opinions on this?

I wore 10.5 nike kobe bball shoes, but got the 10 boots. The guy originally had me try a 9.5...but that was too uncomfortable. boots seem narrower than most...need to adjust my cartels a little now cuz my bindings are size large. Lacing system takes a little getting used to because the straps get in the way, but after a few times you'll get the hang of it. plus, they look absolutely sick
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 7:37am
That's a bummer if they fit narrow, I have a super wide foot.  I guess good thing I didn't just buy them on faith. Approve

As for molding packing them out more??  I don't get that.  I have found that moldable liners don't pack out as much, just do to the fact that they are made to "spring back" more.

Glad they're working for you man!!  They do look sick as hell, and my main man DK rides 'em. 
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 6:10pm
Best thing to do is just try on all different brands of boots and see which ones fit your foot best. Everyone is different so its all preference.
CLoSeR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 6:30pm
If the Nike's were the best fit then you got the right boot, the liners will normally mould to your feet after a few days riding. It probably would have worked itself out if you waited.

10 Sierra Crew | 10 Rome Crail | 10 Union Sierra Contact SL | 10 Nitro Reverb TLS Boots
 Post Reply Post Reply