Any plans to improve the forums-

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any plans to improve the forums-
    Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 4:56am
I was wondering if there were any plans to improve the functionality of the forums?  
Just little things that would make navigating and finding these easier, like a better search engine?
Also things like being able to better track threads you have replied to.  Right now you can look at them in your profile, but they don't all show up.  Also, at the bottom of the list when you go to page 2, it is blank.  
I like checking back on threads to see how things are going but it is near impossible to do that here unless I remember the exact name of the thread and I search from google using the "search term site:trusnow.com" method.  

Or are we just waiting to be completely absorbed by The House and then close down the forums entirely?

'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 5:14am
I don't really know if anyone, besides a staff member could really answer this question effectively.  I would send a PM to Doug, since he's the only one left from Sierra.

Here's my pessimistic view though....
I don't think these forums will last forever.  I think that the site will, eventually, use up too much of The House's resources, and it'll eventually get shut down. 
Heck, I'm surprised that the point system lasted long enough for me to get my "free" goggles (ordered last night!!!).  I thought that was the reason for the delay in giving out the coupons.  Alas after 2 months of waiting, I was able to get my "free" goggles!
ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ianbejamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 5:36am
ugh that's such a scary thought... I love the forums and would hate to see them go! I've learned so much from the forums. Additionally, it's my place to keep up to date with whats going on in the snowboarding world. I also spend a ton of time on the classifieds. Don't shut us down!!!
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 6:28am
Agreed, that is why I posted in the "Customer Service" section.
What I don't understand is if The House planned on shutting down TruSnow all together, why even buy it?  The House has plenty of other sites and the only added overhead for TruSnow would be, as you stated, manageing the forums.  I could actually see them keeping the site but dropping the forums.  If they do, I will take my shopping elsware. 
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 6:34am
Originally posted by MrMeaty

Agreed, that is why I posted in the "Customer Service" section.
What I don't understand is if The House planned on shutting down TruSnow all together, why even buy it?  The House has plenty of other sites and the only added overhead for TruSnow would be, as you stated, manageing the forums.  I could actually see them keeping the site but dropping the forums.  If they do, I will take my shopping elsware. 
Agreed!!!!!  Not that I've bought a bunch of stuff here, but I do look here.  If I'm not trolling on the sites, I don't see a need to come back to the TruSnow website. 
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 6:49am
Massive skype sessions so we can talk to members
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 6:50am
speculation and hearsay.

Just because improvements aren't being made to the forums doesn't mean they're going away. Development costs are a whole different animal than maintenance costs, and the forums may not be where active wants to drop their tech budget this year. There's been really no indications that any part of TS is going away (memberpoints system, forums, etc) other than a lack of comment on threads like this, but then there's a lack of comment from the top on most anything around here under the new ownership. I'd say no news is good news, and we'll have to deal with the slight annoyances of the forum limping along with all it's brokenness we've come to accept as normal.
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 6:57am
honestly from my pov, if it does go away, l'm not sure l would buy stuff from active anymore. their pricing isnt the best, and the only reason is the points that is driving me back. it is probably cheaper if l just buy cheaper and use that money to buy goggle/binding but it just sounds more enticing
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 4:05pm
I see the forums as the "gimpy leg", if you will, of a business minded website. They've created enough of a community environment that people do come back and, really, that's the big goal.

To me, the forum looks like its optimized for a lower traffic and simpler "customer service" type base. But really on the flip side the developers did a nice job integrating user profiles, forums and reviews into one integral system. But for people who are used to the vBulletin forums, this place is a total 180. They have some kinks like the page two and "helpful?" dead ends and a buggy google search, it's a business. As long as the business front isn't crumbling I don't think we're going to see any real changes or updates to our beloved forum. 

Observation:
They've developed a nice facade for casual forum goers. Most of the issues are a couple layers deep, specifically the "Is this review helpful?" and the page two dead end pages. The search bar issue should not be a hard fix for the IT guy though and should really be taken care of. I'm typing this with my Smiths on. 
Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 4:12pm
Just fix the damn search bar so it actually works.   Or don't, I don't really care.  
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by not-ewrx

Just fix the damn search bar so it actually works.   Or don't, I don't really care.  

this and the tracking forums are my biggest concerns. if I cant track it, how am i supposed to find a thread? It will help lead to fewer repeat threads.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 4:29pm

The forums are a great place to share knowledge and learn about new things.  I hope they keep this going.  There's got to be a member on this site with some IT skills that could come up with something, maybe trade some work for gear?

MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 4:31pm
Doug's videos are what brought me here in the first place.  The daily give away's bring me back every day, but it's the forums that KEEP me here every day.  

Ideally, when they switch over full to the house, I think they should completely drop whatever the use for these forums and transfer them over to a different forum software that actually works.  There is just too much here that doesn't work.  My "Better forum Searching" thread (http://www.trusnow.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47296) has not gotten one employee response, which leads me to think they do not plan to fix it.  
jenni View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 4:44pm

Doug's videos are what brought me here in the first place.  The daily give away's bring me back every day, but it's the forums that KEEP me here every day.  

wow, thats deep bro haha. l think my friend refered me because of the great price
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote coolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 4:50pm
just keep the way it is right now, works for us all. 
kikko View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kikko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 4:51pm
the forums could def use some moderators too... theres just so much bullshit spam 

Fear does not stop death, it stops life...
ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ianbejamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 5:15pm
i don't mind not being able to really post pictures ever or not being able to find forums like ever. It's still a great forum and i've really come to enjoy it. Now that i think about it thouhg, i've never really experimented with any other similar snowboarding forums. Which ones are even out there? How do they compare with TruSnow
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 5:41pm
I always wanted to post pictures but this forum always failed at letting me.  Cry
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
mbesp View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hello

Quote mbesp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 5:50pm

Ideally, when they switch over full to the house, I think they should completely drop whatever the use for these forums and transfer them over to a different forum software that actually works.  There is just too much here that doesn't work.  My "Better forum Searching" thread (http://www.trusnow.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47296) has not gotten one employee response, which leads me to think they do not plan to fix it.  

That is unlikely.  Have you seen how horrible the houses' website is.  Just a mass of crap in your face. 
Well maybe some people like that style.
Everything house could use a rework imho.
even going to the store is annoying. 90% of the stuff isn't actually on the floor room and getting someone to help you is impossible and then they always have to go wonder the warehouse to find what you want to look at.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 4:38am
It's funny, cause the only thing I do at The-House is watch their video product review on instructional videos!  Those are actually really good.  Like the ones here for the Sierra boards.

Originally posted by kikko

the forums could def use some moderators too... theres just so much bullshit spam 

I was under the impression that the "expert" members had moderator duties and abilities.  But I know they don't have access to fix what is broken on the forums.  

But I think it was stated before, the forums were probably just tacked on, in fact I think most sales sites have them.  Ride Snowboards has a forum over there and I think there is only oner guy at Ride who every replies, but there are rarely any new posts so it doesn't matter.  No different the customer service answering a couple emails.  
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 4:59am

It's funny, cause the only thing I do at The-House is watch their video product review on instructional videos!  Those are actually really good.  Like the ones here for the Sierra boards.

Originally posted by kikko

I was under the impression that the "expert" members had moderator duties and abilities.  But I know they don't have access to fix what is broken on the forums.  

But I think it was stated before, the forums were probably just tacked on, in fact I think most sales sites have them.  Ride Snowboards has a forum over there and I think there is only oner guy at Ride who every replies, but there are rarely any new posts so it doesn't matter.  No different the customer service answering a couple emails.  
They do have the power of greyskull to spam posts; however, the number of active Expert members has definitely dwindled after the switch from SS to TS.  I remember logging on here during the prime Sierra days, and there'd be a minimum of 10 expert members on site pretty much any time of day.
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 5:04am
There are experts and there are moderators (most if not all of whom are experts as well)

Experts can flag posts/reviews as spam, ban people from chat and get the benefit of having our name on the front page for the "Ask an expert" section.

Things like locking threads, moving threads,  deleting posts - those are only mod powers. And IIRC the only really active mod is Gsssssrrrrrr, and even he's active in a ninja-style.

As to development, under Sierra the 2 main developers were an active part of the community forums and solicited feedback. Not everything was implemented all the time, but definitely was higher on their radar. I know nothing about Active's IT hierarchy or even if the developers are in house or not, so really can't say what, if anything, they plan to do with the forums.
fishkur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote fishkur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 5:12am
I think fostpaint nailed it though...paying a company to fix up some of these problems could rack up a lot of dollars real fast...you'd be surprised how much web development costs by the time it gets coded, tested, implemented.  $40k doesn't go as far as you think it does.

If they were going to can the free stuff they would have done it already.  In my opinion, it's too big of a draw - I'm sure a lot of people end up on the site with the lure of free gear and that just leads to more sales.

I actually forgot about the giveaway...since my province does not observe DST, I'm always commuting when that happens until everyone else shifts again.
dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote dlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 5:15am
I have mod privileges but to be honest I haven't really been as vigilant lately.  I come into the forums here and there throughout the day and unless something is obvious that needs to be taken care I just let it be.  If there are posts, threads, etc. that you guys feel needs to be looked at or taken care of feel free to shoot me a PM. 
nuttynutz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote nuttynutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 4:51pm
I use many Forums, be it about cars, tech, gaming, snowboard etc... The only thing that really annoys me about this forum is the poor search function. Everything else seems fine to me. As far as I know this is the only forum that uses a search function via google. it sucks. 

chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 4:52pm
Guys nothing will get done around here because the house owns it. And in case you don't know google site:trusnow.com and then your topic.
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by chillman

Guys nothing will get done around here because the house owns it.

I hate seeing this as the "official" response to any TS/SS issue. Really?! Unless you plan to back up your claim don't bother posting it. 
Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
kirkalicious View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kirkalicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 7:11pm
I would like to see an improved search bar for the site and forums
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 7:16pm

Guys nothing will get done around here because the house owns it.
Does this mean that the were not issues BEFORE they were bought by The House?  I mean, I think these are issues that have been going on for some time and should have been addressed awhile ago, even before The House bought them.  
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 7:26pm
Yes they have. Its just things move wayy slower here now. With activesports running like 7 websites they have little time to perfect this site. Its even noticeable with customer service/returns etc.
ktown View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ktown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 7:40pm

Yes they have. Its just things move wayy slower here now. With activesports running like 7 websites they have little time to perfect this site. Its even noticeable with customer service/returns etc.

but then again, you can always argue they have alot more expereince to fixing stuff, and can share resources
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2012 at 8:00am
I guess my question is why have they let this go on for so long without fixing these issue?
Maybe I'm too used to internet forums that are NOT associate with a sales site where you bring up issues and they fix them because the forums are their livelyhood.  Maybe I SHOULD start looking around for other snowboard forums that are not linked to sales sites...
mbesp View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hello

Quote mbesp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2012 at 6:39pm

Maybe I SHOULD start looking around for other snowboard forums that are not linked to sales sites...

Shouldn't have any trouble finding one of those.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2012 at 7:23pm
Yeah...I guess.  I just hate starting fresh on new forums.
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2012 at 7:27pm
+1 to all the comments about fixing the stupid search bar.  Why should I have to go to google to find the 2012 captains log?  So stupid.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 10:05pm
You should do what i do!

Manually search through the first ten pages before giving up and assuming history doesnt go back that far, so it couldnt possibly have existed before then!  
m00m
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 2:40am
i've just started a bookmark folder for all the threads I plan on saving. Especially, Ippy's snowboard buying guide
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 4:44am
Originally posted by ippollite

You should do what i do!

Manually search through the first ten pages before giving up and assuming history doesnt go back that far, so it couldnt possibly have existed before then!  
True...people get as much crap for starting new threads that have already been discussed as they do for bringing back threads that have been dead for awhile.  

And I've noticed that my "search term site:trusnow.com" on google does not work as well when the OP has changed the name of the topic.  You need to search for the old topic name, not the new one.  
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 4:51am
I've been wanted to check up on some older threads that I had started and the list not going past page 1 is a real pain.
I can view threads I have posted in, but when I click on page 2, it moves to threads that I started...
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 5:29am

I've been wanted to check up on some older threads that I had started and the list not going past page 1 is a real pain.
I can view threads I have posted in, but when I click on page 2, it moves to threads that I started...
Agreed...
At one point, someone found a work around to this problem and I thought, GENIUS.  Now I can't find the original thread (as it was burried in an off-topic thread).  I will see if I find something or figure it out.  If I do, I'll pass on the brilliance!

EDIT: So I did some searching and CANNOT find it. Cry
I went to Bruizza's profile because he's got a ton of threads he's started and threads he posted on (prior to this year), and that's how someone else figured it out.  Anyway, interestingly enough, when I went there, I was able to see his past posts, threads and everything.  I went to mine, still no page two.  Then I went to yours thinking maybe I can see everyone else's but cannot see my own... Nope.  You had a page 2 but only one post on that page.

All I'm hearing is game show FAIL sounds (whammy, X's on Family Fued, Jepoardy's noise... am I dating myself here?).  Anyway, sorry.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 6:39am
I had posted another thread on using Google's Search Site feature here:
Which is better then the search function, but requires you to know the name of the thread.
There are a couple I check on like the "It's Snowing By Me" which has been renamed "Good Vibes" but the google search only pulls up the original thread name...
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 6:53am
Originally posted by EpicFAIL

Agreed...
At one point, someone found a work around to this problem and I thought, GENIUS.  Now I can't find the original thread (as it was burried in an off-topic thread).  I will see if I find something or figure it out.  If I do, I'll pass on the brilliance!

I went to Bruizza's profile because he's got a ton of threads he's started and threads he posted on (prior to this year), and that's how someone else figured it out.  Anyway, interestingly enough, when I went there, I was able to see his past posts, threads and everything.  I went to mine, still no page two.  Then I went to yours thinking maybe I can see everyone else's but cannot see my own... Nope.  You had a page 2 but only one post on that page.

All I'm hearing is game show FAIL sounds (whammy, X's on Family Fued, Jepoardy's noise... am I dating myself here?).  Anyway, sorry.

when you click on pg2 let the page load, then go to the addy bar and where it says 'true' change it to false.  this will now show pg2
to change to pg3, 4, 5 etc.... change the end where it says '15' to 30, 45, 60 etc....
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by derbytownjoe

when you click on pg2 let the page load, then go to the addy bar and where it says 'true' change it to false.  this will now show pg2
to change to pg3, 4, 5 etc.... change the end where it says '15' to 30, 45, 60 etc....
What a great tip!
I got it to go back 285 posts which is 20 pages! 
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 12:47pm
skype would be cool, but TruSnow wouldn't need to change anything. Just have members put their skype info on their profile and then ppl can contact each other that way
gunda pickle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 12:50pm
Another +1 for better search engine.
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2012 at 5:10am

What a great tip!
I got it to go back 285 posts which is 20 pages! 
Thanks! Clap
Now I have to remember that....
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Sintexo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2012 at 5:16am

Originally posted by EpicFAIL

Agreed...

Haha this was me! wooo.  I forgot I used Bruizza's page to do it originally.
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2012 at 5:34am
thats right, i forgot it was you.....

so anyways, how did you figure that out?
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Sintexo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2012 at 9:06am

thats right, i forgot it was you.....

so anyways, how did you figure that out?

I don't really remember to be honest.  I just noticed that when you clicked a different number page, for most people it brought you to page 2, and was blank (cause most people don't have two pages worth of threads they've started).  So I think I tested it on Bruizza's because I knew he created a lot of threads, and saw that "Thread's I've Created" page two was the same thing that was linked to from "Posts I've Made" page 2.  I told doug about it, but didn't figure anything would ever get fixed and just left it at that.

Then a while later I looked at the URL hoping there was some option you could change, and saw the Threads=true, and just tried plugging in false, and it worked.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2012 at 4:55am
Not sure if this is new with the site upgrades or I just now noticed it, but if you are on the community tab but not in your profile and choose forums, there is a button for "My Threads" which will show 1 page of the last threads you posted in, whether you started the thread or not.  That's actually really helpful because it lets you continue with the last few conversations you have been in.  

If that's new, then Thank You.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>