Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sleeepili View Drop Down
Local
Local
catching air at bear

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sleeepili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: june mountain is so awesome
    Posted: Jan/30/2012 at 4:37pm
this weekend i went to june mountain for the first time. i've never heard of the place prior to the trip and apparently not many others have either. it's in central california about 20 minutes north of mammoth. mammoth actually owns june mountain

it's awesomeness is quite simple
1. absolutely empty, no wait in any lift lines, any run
2. big wide runs. even black diamonds were big and wide, and double diamonds as wide as 20 yards
3. well-groomed. most of the runs were very very well-groomed. its like heaven under your feet. i clocked 53mph max speed on a diamond run with a 159 sierra reverse crew. 

for those of you who have never visited, i recommend you give it a shot

for those of you who have been there, please feel free to agree/disagree
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2012 at 4:40pm
I disagree

June sucks! Wink

My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2012 at 5:25pm
June only sucks when there's a holiday, June doesn't suck when Mammoth is holding a contest...no one is there
pimpasaurus JR View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote pimpasaurus JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2012 at 5:28pm
Note to self... schedule a trip to June and Mammoth Mountains soon.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2012 at 5:32pm
I always wanted to try out June but after driving 6 hours to get to Mammoth, another 20 minutes sounds like a lot!  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote coolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2012 at 5:51pm
6hrs to go boarding? dam your a trooper, 3 hrs gets my booged down already. just think of the gas hurts me 
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2012 at 11:12pm
Huh, I though I knew all the resorts in CA/NV.  First time I heard about this place.  Will have to look into it.
gepet0 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote gepet0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2012 at 11:33pm
I think all the snowboard resorts in the usa are very good!...

here in spain resorts can not be compared with ones you got there...

I really want to visit USA and test those perfect resorts with the snowparks carefuly built
CLoSeR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CLoSeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 12:28am
Yes your resorts in the US are good!

I'm in Australia, and yes we drive 6 hours for snow!!
10 Sierra Crew | 10 Rome Crail | 10 Union Sierra Contact SL | 10 Nitro Reverb TLS Boots
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 2:42am
I've only made it to June once, and I had fun.  I always plan on going there, but I'm always happy with Mammoth.  That place gets busy, but it's big enough to handle it.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 8:43am
Wait how do you know how fast you're going down? do they have speed guns? or boards which tell youhow fast you're zooming by?
cuz 53mph is pretty damn fast!
I've yet to see a really nicely groomed hill... seems best left natural
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RideTimeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 8:51am
Originally posted by hana24

I disagree

June sucks! Wink

OP is smoking the good stuff.  June sucks.

Only a couple lifts.  They are slow.  It's in middle of no where.  It's not worth it.  Just go to Mammoth or Tahoe.

Nothing to see here....carry on.
Did you google it?
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 9:04am
Originally posted by RideTimeless

I disagree

June sucks! Wink

OP is smoking the good stuff.  June sucks.

Only a couple lifts.  They are slow.  It's in middle of no where.  It's not worth it.  Just go to Mammoth or Tahoe.

Nothing to see here....carry on.

EXACTLY!!!

Updated weekly!
sleeepili View Drop Down
Local
Local
catching air at bear

Quote sleeepili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by jhoang6

Wait how do you know how fast you're going down? do they have speed guns? or boards which tell youhow fast you're zooming by?

i was using my friend's GPS worker tracker (i dont know what it's called). It records the time, distance traveled, max speed, average speed, current speed, etc. In the summary it even draws out the path you took on the map, which i found to be pretty neat
sleeepili View Drop Down
Local
Local
catching air at bear

Quote sleeepili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 3:31pm
and regarding the "best left natural" part, i guess it depends on what you're looking to ride on. it's nice to have natural powder build up whereever it ends up on the mountain. for high speeds though i definitely felt safer on the smooth groomed surfaces. on the same run that i clocked 53, the reason i stopped is actually because i started riding over a less-groomed section and the board got super shakey so i wussed out and slowed down
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by sleeepili

i was using my friend's GPS worker tracker (i dont know what it's called). It records the time, distance traveled, max speed, average speed, current speed, etc. In the summary it even draws out the path you took on the map, which i found to be pretty neat

I honestly do not think these things are accurate.  My buddy was clocked at 58 mph on his and I am pretty sure he does not ride that fast...but I dont know maybe they are...anyone can validate on the accuracy of these apps?
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by coolz

6hrs to go boarding? dam your a trooper, 3 hrs gets my booged down already. just think of the gas hurts me 

Well, I have like 5 local ones to choose from that are like a 45 to 2 hours away but they don't compare to Mammoth.  
ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ianbejamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 7:08pm
pshh 6 hours is nothing... i have to drive 9 hours..
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by shwazy

I honestly do not think these things are accurate.  My buddy was clocked at 58 mph on his and I am pretty sure he does not ride that fast...but I dont know maybe they are...anyone can validate on the accuracy of these apps?

Yeah I don't these things are accurate at all.  I clocked myself at 65mph.

Updated weekly!
gepet0 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote gepet0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 11:51pm
just post some pictures about how is it.

Just to update and so that people could think if going or not.
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2012 at 4:13am

My app has been pretty accurate.  Top speed is always 40ish.  At the end of one day I thought it had screwed up because it said my top speed was 68 mph, but then I figured out that I left it on in the car.
sleeepili View Drop Down
Local
Local
catching air at bear

Quote sleeepili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2012 at 3:18pm

depends on how good the GPS signal is, and also how good your GPS device actually is. good way to verify is just take it into a car and drive with it. that particular one was +/- 1mph with the car's speedometer. I saw another one (medium-end garmin) that was off by about 3mph

the max speed it read out was actually 53.19. Not sure about the accuracy of the tenths and hundredths of a mile...but im going to assume 53 is not far off
koyota93 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koyota93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2012 at 3:43pm
I got a max speed of 45MPH on Saturday at Mountain High using the Speed View app for Android. I have tested it with my car on the freeway, and it has shown to be accurate there. When I was into boating, the only speed you would trust is GPS. It didn't matter what the speedometer said.
trill2go View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Arph.

Quote trill2go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2012 at 8:51pm
Awesome, have never gone to June Mountain before, will definitely consider it, especially since Mammoth is so expensive these days :( $96 per day is painfulll
gepet0 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote gepet0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2012 at 9:28pm
96$ each day¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿

what a fuckkkk!!!!

can anybody post some pictures about june resort?

has it got snowpark?
nachosyumm View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote nachosyumm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2012 at 9:05pm
The June park isn't really that good this season.  It usually has a pretty nice park that doesn't get all rutted out like the one at mammoth does on weekends, but lately they haven't put much effort into it with only a few jumps, no pipe, and a whole bunch of rails.

It was however, a ton of fun last time it snowed.  There were probably <100 people there and the snow was a bit drier than the powder at mammoth.  Lots of fresh tracks and powder day fun.
sleeepili View Drop Down
Local
Local
catching air at bear

Quote sleeepili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2012 at 1:34am
Originally posted by trill2go

Awesome, have never gone to June Mountain before, will definitely consider it, especially since Mammoth is so expensive these days :( $96 per day is painfulll

i bought a 2-day pass directly from their website. it ended up being 62.50 per day, which isnt bad at all. unlike mammoth which is still like 80+ even when u buy multiday passes

sleeepili View Drop Down
Local
Local
catching air at bear

Quote sleeepili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2012 at 1:40am
Originally posted by gepet0

96$ each day¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿

what a fuckkkk!!!!

can anybody post some pictures about june resort?

has it got snowpark?

i think the other poster was referring to mammoth being 96 per day (or 89 per day if u sign up for mymammoth). here are two videos of my june trip. the runs are quite spacious

it has two parks. the beginner one is the one from the first video. there is also an advanced park at the top of the mountain with much larger features that i dare not attempt. there were also some moderate to difficult features scattered near the top of the mountain
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2012 at 8:54am
The tree runs @ June can be epic if you know where to look/go. & only after a good dumping of course.
deepakhj View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote deepakhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 5:22am
June Mountain is the shiznit!!! Skip Mammoth......... GO THERE NOW!

2012 154 Never Summer Proto CT w/ K2 Formulas
2010 160 Contract C62
2005 Ride DH
2009 Never Summer SL (broken)
2010 K2 DB T1
2009 K2 DB T1
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 5:35am
Something to consider for next years trip on the west coast.
kirkalicious View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kirkalicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 6:04am
Not sure if the $96 is worth it per day, no wonder the slopes are empty
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 3:16pm
Been to Mammoth a few times....I have to drive 6-8 hours to get there. If im gonna drive that far...and pay for a lift ticket..I feel like mammoth is the way to go! How far is June from Mammoth?
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 5:10pm
Who even pays full price?  You can get discounted tickets.
 Post Reply Post Reply