Topic ClosedTahoe Trip Feb 2012!

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
calund00 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tahoe Trip Feb 2012!
    Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 8:00am
I will be heading out to Tahoe next week with some friends.  Its our first board trip to Tahoe.  We are staying in South Tahoe.  Just wondering where we should ride? Any good tips on places where to ride at those resorts?  Would like to hit up the backcountry, if there is some fresh snow, otherwise probably hit up the park.  

The other thing I was wondering if anyone knows of a place to rent snow chains, we are flying into Sacramento.  I figured we could just rent them for the rental car company, but doesn't look like they rent chains anymore.  
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 8:08am
if there isn't any new snow, I'd just ride heavenly.  The gondola is right in the center of town, so there's no driving involved and the mtn has an absolutely massive amount of acreage, so you could go the whole trip without riding the same run twice. 

if there is new snow...being that you're new to the area, I'd probably still just ride heavenly.  They have some double diamond canyons (mott/killebrew) that are pretty effing steep and will test your skills for sure.  You can also try to get to Kirkwood, by all accounts, the road is kinda sketchy after a dump

one of my favorite (heavenly) trails is "advanced roundabout".  There is no mention of it on the trail map, but it's at the top of the "groove" chair (next to the groove park) on the california side.  The sign to it sunk into the trees and very hidden.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 8:15am
please consult the   JAMM0N  "Duh" map as shown here:

buy chains at the Wal-Mart in Placerville at Missouri Flats Rd.  I'm sure there are other Walmarts, but that's the only one i know off hand.  
-zakk

getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 10:03am
most rental places don't let you put chains on their cars, afaik.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 10:05am
Unless something unexpectedly awesome happens, there's not going to be any new snow and you won't need chains.  Dammit, this winter has been blowing donkey balls so far. 

-b
get bent
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Piranha

if there isn't any new snow, I'd just ride heavenly.  The gondola is right in the center of town, so there's no driving involved and the mtn has an absolutely massive amount of acreage, so you could go the whole trip without riding the same run twice. 

if there is new snow...being that you're new to the area, I'd probably still just ride heavenly.  They have some double diamond canyons (mott/killebrew) that are pretty effing steep and will test your skills for sure.  You can also Try to get to Kirkwood, by all accounts, the road is kinda sketchy after a dump

one of my favorite trails is "advanced roundabout".  There is no mention of it on the trail map, but it's at the top of the "groove" chair (next to the groove park) on the california side.  The sign to it sunk into the trees and very hidden.

When riding Heavenly, I'd say stay on the NV side as much as you can for better snow.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 10:14am
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

Unless something unexpectedly awesome happens, there's not going to be any new snow and you won't need chains.  Dammit, this winter has been blowing donkey balls so far. 

-b

it is coming...it has been foreseen!  Witness the week of the 13th!

-zakk

robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 10:16am
But the OP is coming to Tahoe next week....

Oh well, more snow for us locals I guess  :)
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 10:21am
Originally posted by robnezz23

But the OP is coming to Tahoe next week....

Oh well, more snow for us locals I guess  :)

oh yeah, next week you're screwed.  LoLz
-zakk

lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 10:46am
Yup, no snow expected for next week, so no chains needed. So, no backcountry pow for you and your friends. If you'll be sticking to the park, you can go to Sierra.
boardoholic View Drop Down
Local
Local
The Dragon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by zakk

Originally posted by calund00

I will be heading out to Tahoe next week with some friends.  Its our first board trip to Tahoe.  We are staying in South Tahoe.  Just wondering where we should ride? Any good tips on places where to ride at those resorts?  Would like to hit up the backcountry, if there is some fresh snow, otherwise probably hit up the park.

please consult the   JAMM0N  "Duh" map as shown here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Like folks have said, chances of fresh powdah are pretty slim for most of next week. But if you're actually gonna be out here next wknd, do all you can to appease the great Ullr! I'm hoping to sneak up sometime to catch a day w/ a crew of folks who'll be shredding the 3 South Shore spots the 10th thru 12th. We want POW!

And I concur... pls consult the JAMM0N Duh?!? map linked above.LOL

Hell, take a look at JAMM0N's thread (http://www.trusnow.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50301) that inspired zakk to be so kind w/ providing the map.Wink If you can understand JAMM0N-speak (it may be possible esp. since he hails from your part of the country), you're set. Despite us ribbin' him, it's full of good advice w/ the same type of questions. You just asked in a much more straight-forward & non-confusing manner than he did. Kudos to you!Thumbs Up

Btw, Piranha nailed it if you wanna get on the mtn quick. Though Heavenly is more expensive than the other 2 relatively-close So. Shore resorts (Sierra-at-Tahoe & Kirkwood), it's SUPER convenient when staying in town. With TONS of acreage, multiple days are the way to go if you've never been to Hvnly.
PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were missing. ~Mitch Hedberg
calund00 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 2:56pm
Thanks for the advise.  We will be in Tahoe until the 13 so hopefully we get in on at least the start of the next big system.  
SDsurfKID View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
CABO

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 3:00pm
If you wanna try something new after you ride Heavenly try Serria, its not far a little smaller but a lot of fun.
JAMM0N View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
SKEET SKEET

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2012 at 7:18am
you guys better go soon. i was just @ flatstar.

most of the run are groomed. except the blacks on the other side of the mountain its all icey cause experienced riders dont ride those runs

if i had time to go kirkwood i would but i didn't and yeah sad i missed out.

sugarbowl would be a nice place to go or even squaw.

make sure you have time to go and your friends have money to go with you!

a-wow925 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2012 at 7:32am
so what are the conditions really like at tahoe now? is it even worth going or is it better to wait for more snow?
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2012 at 7:46am
Originally posted by a-wow925

so what are the conditions really like at tahoe now? is it even worth going or is it better to wait for more snow?

Nothing like last yr.  The fact you ask if it's worth it is in a personal question.  Depends on what you're expecting.  If you're going out to have a good time, then it doesn't matter what the snow conditions are.
Did you google it?
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2012 at 1:13pm
It's worth going if you like to ride or ski. 

It's not as good as last year.  But like Ride Timeless said, if you're just going to enjoy riding, especially if you spend all day in the park, it's great up there.

There's no epic powder, and not much action off the groom, but i was at Sugar Bowl last week and Boreal at the weekend and had a blast both days.  Got a little soggy at Sugar Bowl late in the day on the lower parts of the mountain but most of the runs/lifts are open.  It's also quiet up there, so you have lots of space and no lift lines.

CAPnCRUNCH View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2012 at 2:17pm
I'll be going up again the same weekend.
Hoping for the storm to hit on the 7th or 8th right b4 I go.
JAMM0N View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
SKEET SKEET

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2012 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by CAPnCRUNCH

I'll be going up again the same weekend.
Hoping for the storm to hit on the 7th or 8th right b4 I go.

Amen to that brother.

its all about having fun.

you go down a run and you know the conditions. not every question can be answered on each run of how condition is and how many people went down it.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2012 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by JAMM0N

...you go down a run and you know the conditions. not every question can be answered on each run of how condition is and how many people went down it.

Ermm...please tell us english isn't your first language
JAMM0N View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
SKEET SKEET

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2012 at 3:13pm
my grammar is horrible. i speak a lot of slang. who doesnt?

anyways here's how i viewed N*

first:

ignore bunny hills they are a death trap traffic and eventually hard packed snow

check out the blue when on the lift. if you see pebbles get away!

blacks are always going to be icey cause no one attempts them and they dont tell you that theirs a bunny slope after a 20 feet drop. << i had to witness it upclose.

JUST SHRED but personal preference on trails/runs
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2012 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Piranha

...you go down a run and you know the conditions. not every question can be answered on each run of how condition is and how many people went down it.

Ermm...please tell us english isn't your first language

I think somewhere along the lines he said it wasn't. Jammon, speaking a lot of slang isn't a good thing. It makes it hard for others to understand you. That's why there's grammar to establish standards so everyone can understand you and convey the point you're trying to make.
uncivilbanks View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2012 at 7:11pm
LMFAO

Heavenly or sierra at tahoe!!
Local
Local
The Dragon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2012 at 12:54pm

you guys better go soon. i was just @ flatstar.

most of the run are groomed. except the blacks on the other side of the mountain its all icey cause experienced riders dont ride those runs

if i had time to go kirkwood i would but i didn't and yeah sad i missed out.

sugarbowl would be a nice place to go or even squaw.

make sure you have time to go and your friends have money to go with you!

Amen to that brother.

its all about having fun.

you go down a run and you know the conditions. not every question can be answered on each run of how condition is and how many people went down it.

my grammar is horrible. i speak a lot of slang. who doesnt?

anyways here's how i viewed N*

first:

ignore bunny hills they are a death trap traffic and eventually hard packed snow

check out the blue when on the lift. if you see pebbles get away!

blacks are always going to be icey cause no one attempts them and they dont tell you that theirs a bunny slope after a 20 feet drop. << i had to witness it upclose.

JUST SHRED but personal preference on trails/runs

YOU! Outta tha pool!

Pls. don't muck up the OP's thread. For future posting in this thread, refer to the map zakk made for you & only offer any HELPFUL insight regarding South Lake Tahoe. Any so-called Flatstar bidnass (Is that cool enough slang for you?LOL) or other nonsensical & confounding posts should be relegated & quarantined to The thread formerly-known-as "South Shore Utah" or something.

Thanks for playin'. Don't forget to tip your waitress.
PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were missing. ~Mitch Hedberg
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2012 at 4:33pm
lol. the disease is spreading. if youre considering kirkwood, check costco for tickets and their fb page for conditions.
Local
Local
The Dragon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2012 at 3:49pm

Thanks for the advise.  We will be in Tahoe until the 13 so hopefully we get in on at least the start of the next big system.  

I dunno if y'all are already out in Cali, but in case you're not already in South Lake... here's some more helpful tidbits. I know we've already said that Heavenly is very convenient but expensive, so if you want to give Sierra-at-Tahoe or Kirkwood a try as well, stop into the Folsom Costco for discount lift tickets for both resorts. The warehouse store is conveniently located right off US-50 about 40 min from Sac Int'l Airport.

Also, according to a li'l blurb in this newsletter (see the section 2nd-from-the-bottom that includes 'Heavenly'... http://slidingonthecheap.com/archive/oldtop.php?link=20120105.html), you can get $10 off w/ a pre-purchase at SaveMart supermarkets. While I have not heard of any confirmations about this season, they offered this deal in this past. FYI: there is a SaveMart a few minutes from the Folsom Costco.

Hope I wasn't too late w/ these goodies.Embarrassed
Local
Local
The Dragon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 9:54pm
So how'd your trip go, calund00? I was at Sierra this past Sat, then at Squaw on Tue. Though the storms that moved thru didn't produce EPIC pow, they did freshen up the slopes nicely. Sunday/Monday's precip-producer surprised a lotta folks including myself. I heard Mon was a great day to be sliding around on the slopes, esp. from South Tahoe the resorts down to Mammoth & June! I know you mentioned you'd be around til that the 13th, so I hope y'all got the chance to shred on your last day.Thumbs Up
calund00 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2012 at 3:48pm
The trip was sweet!  Didn't have any epic pow while we were there, but we were still able to find some good snow in the trees.  .  Started to come down when we left sunday night.  Missed it by one day, still a good trip though.  Beautiful area.  
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2012 at 3:59pm

The trip was sweet!  Didn't have any epic pow while we were there, but we were still able to find some good snow in the trees.  .  Started to come down when we left sunday night.  Missed it by one day, still a good trip though.  Beautiful area.  

Hard to go wrong in Tahoe -- if you don't get a huge dump we've generally got bluebird . . . .

-b
get bent
Local
Local
The Dragon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2012 at 4:45pm

Which resort(s) did y'all end up riding?
 Post Reply Post Reply