Official 2014 MLB Season

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <12345 84>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official 2014 MLB Season
    Posted: Feb/22/2012 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Ceida

i want to see how the DBacks are going to be? i kinda want to see if they are going to start off on fire. or just go down hill.

Upton is a bonafide stud, and the staff was pretty good last year.  The NL West has had different winners the last three years, and the Rockies have won the wild card two of the last 5 years.  Long story short, anyone can take it.
DCC View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
East Coast Rider

Quote DCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2012 at 12:21pm
ryan braun won the appeal on his 50 game suspension.  hmmm.......his name is still gonna be tainted.
360faceplant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 360faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2012 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by DCC

ryan braun won the appeal on his 50 game suspension.  hmmm.......his name is still gonna be tainted.

I think I would just tell people I did steroids if I were him.  His excuse is almost worse...
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2012 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by 360faceplant

Originally posted by DCC

I think I would just tell people I did steroids if I were him.  His excuse is almost worse...

As far as I heard the arbitrator just questioned how his sample was processed, nothing bad about that. Pretty interesting that it was the first overturn they've ever had.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2012 at 4:18pm
This seems to set a bad precedent.  Apparently he questioned the chain of custody even though none of the seals had been broken on his urine test (no pun intended).  I like Braun, but not sure why this merits overturning the suspension.
mollicap16 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mollicap16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2012 at 5:01pm
You cant say his name is still going to be tainted untill more information comes out. The MLB is capable of making a mistake this is the first time ever they have overturned an appeal, that has to say something and i dont think it will taint his name at all. But will have to wait and see until more of the information comes out.
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2012 at 5:02pm
YES BRAUN! Im loving this overturn, too bad fielder is gone...
DCC View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
East Coast Rider

Quote DCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2012 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by mollicap16

You cant say his name is still going to be tainted untill more information comes out. The MLB is capable of making a mistake this is the first time ever they have overturned an appeal, that has to say something and i dont think it will taint his name at all. But will have to wait and see until more of the information comes out.

yea, guess we'll have to see what other information comes out.  what are the chances of him testing positive during the season he wins the MVP or from what he claims, mishandled or whatever his urine sample??  hope he's telling the truth though.  i like him as a player.
360faceplant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 360faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2012 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by broys

Originally posted by DCC

As far as I heard the arbitrator just questioned how his sample was processed, nothing bad about that. Pretty interesting that it was the first overturn they've ever had.

They can claim it had to do with the delay in processing his sample, but it's pretty much been uncovered that the guy has HERPES, and his Dr. prescribed him something that caused the positive test.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2012 at 4:49am
Either way, he'll be on the field.  Even without Fielder, the Brewers have a decent rotation, good bullpen, and Braun, Hart and Weeks.  They'll still be decent.
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2012 at 10:07am

They can claim it had to do with the delay in processing his sample, but it's pretty much been uncovered that the guy has HERPES, and his Dr. prescribed him something that caused the positive test.

Haha that wasn't in the article I read, now I see why it's embarrassing. Could be interesting because MLB doesn't seem too happy about the suspension being overturned, and will probably appeal the arbitrator's decision.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mollicap16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2012 at 6:04pm
Thats got to be real embarassing if you are accused by the mlb of taking steriods but it really was your herpes medicine. Im glad to see Braun back, except when the phillies play him.
shing02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2012 at 10:16pm
lincecum was out with a hampered lower back not long ago...man, i hope the giants don't have anyone go on the DL this season, that REALLY killed it for us last year :/
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mollicap16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 7:10am
Zimmerman just signed a 6-year 100 milliion dollar extension with the nationals. I would say its well deserved a little much but they definitely want to lock up zimmerman since hes the only consistant piece of the nationals.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 7:12am
$100 Million for Zimmerman.  He is a very good player with the bat and the glove, but he only averages like 125-130 games per year.  We'll see how it plays out with his health.
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 9:55am
Nationals have some good talent now with Zimm, Worth, Strasburg and maybe Bryce Harper. I guess sucking a lot has some benefits later now.
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2012 at 3:23am
^If you don't have big money, you might as well suck for a while instead of being average.  That way you can get the real gems in your system like Strasburg and Harper.  Seems like the Nats' day is coming.  Then again, Strasburg's arm might explode again.  Who knows.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2012 at 3:28am
The Nats would have been real formidable if they had signed Fielder.  Especially with Harper coming up and Morse emerging.  It's pretty good fortune to get the #1 pick two years in a row when many experts agree that Stras and Harper were two of the best prospects of the past ten years.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2012 at 4:11am

Haha that wasn't in the article I read, now I see why it's embarrassing. Could be interesting because MLB doesn't seem too happy about the suspension being overturned, and will probably appeal the arbitrator's decision.
If herpes meds led to positive drug tests, something tells me we'd be seeing a lot more of them in MLB.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2012 at 7:34pm
Well, at least Braun didn't tell a girl his name was "Ron Mexico."  Maybe he did, who knows?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/29/2012 at 3:48am
^Ron Mexico is a great alias.  I usually leave that name when I order food to go.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mollicap16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/29/2012 at 4:39am
The astros are moving Brett Myers to the bullpen this season, hes announced to be their closer. I think this is going to be a good move for them he did a great job in philly when we moved him to close games.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/29/2012 at 12:55pm
Myers to the pen is a fine move, except for the fact that the Astros might not even win 50 games. Why not up his trade value and keep him as a starter?
shing02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/29/2012 at 10:14pm
2 more days until baseball season!!!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2012 at 2:52am
Originally posted by Geez

Myers to the pen is a fine move, except for the fact that the Astros might not even win 50 games. Why not up his trade value and keep him as a starter?
Myers is a smart man.  He won't ever have to pitch as closer.  He can just hang out in the clubhouse.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2012 at 4:10am
Red Sox banned beer in the clubhouse? I mean what's the point even PLAYING at that point? I can understand during the game, but why not just spring for car service if guys get too lit?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2012 at 4:56am

Red Sox banned beer in the clubhouse? I mean what's the point even PLAYING at that point? I can understand during the game, but why not just spring for car service if guys get too lit?
Bobby V has to act like he's taking charge of the situation since the whole fried chicken and beer incident got so much attention.  They are all just going to have to bring flasks or drink out of solo cups.
tworunningcards View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote tworunningcards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2012 at 7:52am
It's mostly posturing, but Bobby V has always done what he wants regardless. Like when he got ejected but stayed in the dugout in sunglasses and a fake moustache.
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2012 at 9:00am

Doesn't he realize Babe Ruth was a drunk and set the home run record?

Regarding car services, I can't understand how you can make millions and EVER get a DUI, just hire somebody to drive you idiot.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2012 at 9:03am

Regarding car services, I can't understand how you can make millions and EVER get a DUI, just hire somebody to drive you idiot.

Agree 100%.  It's difficult for me to comprehend how someone who makes millions of dollars cannot spend a couple hundred to hire a driver for a night of boozing.  Last year at this time I was wondering the same thing when Miguel Cabrera was arrested in Florida for drunk driving.  C'mon, Miggy, shell out $200 for a limo, Metro Car, taxi... 
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2012 at 9:13am
big name players can't really just get a taxi just in case some thug poses as a taxi driver... but they should be able to get someone in their posse to serve as a designated driver. i mean, they're already paying for everything/everybody, one of those people can drive...

but, about alcohol in the locker room..how many of you can drink at work? i think the locker room is still part of the players' work place and alcohol should only be limited to special occations, like celebrating winning some kind of trophy. but it shouldn't be allowed on a regular basis.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mollicap16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2012 at 6:17pm
Molina is getting 5 years 75 million. Thats mentally challenged Molina stinks and there is no reason for him to be getting that kind of money. Maybe Im getting a little upset still because im a Phillies fan.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 3:04am
Originally posted by lightning80

big name players can't really just get a taxi just in case some thug poses as a taxi driver... but they should be able to get someone in their posse to serve as a designated driver. i mean, they're already paying for everything/everybody, one of those people can drive...

but, about alcohol in the locker room..how many of you can drink at work? i think the locker room is still part of the players' work place and alcohol should only be limited to special occations, like celebrating winning some kind of trophy. but it shouldn't be allowed on a regular basis.
A lot of teams have a car service set up for their players to prevent drunk driving, but guys aren't smart enough to use it.  It's pathetic.
tworunningcards View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote tworunningcards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 6:08am
Games are starting now... can't wait for the regular season!
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 6:36am
just saw the clip of AJ Burnett taking one in the eye after a bad bunt attempt. haha
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 7:41am
Burnett getting hit in the eye is payback for all the poor unsuspecting teammates he hit in the face with pies over the years. That and generally being a bum
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 1:04pm
Since he plays for the pirates, he should wear an eye patch. You don't really need both eyes to pitch. There used to be a one arm pitcher back on the day.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2012 at 1:48pm
might as well wear a bandana too...what about a pegged leg?
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2012 at 6:48am
Not a big fan of the new playoff format.  But then again, I am a traditionalist when it comes to this stuff... in my day, they didn't wear helmets, or use gloves.
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2012 at 7:03am

Not a big fan of the new playoff format.  But then again, I am a traditionalist when it comes to this stuff... in my day, they didn't wear helmets, or use gloves.

I'm not either. Pretty sure I already posted this, but I don't see why they didn't make it a 3-game playoff. Just a fairer way to decide your season's fate, screw how "exciting" it might be.

Say you're the team that has the 2nd best record in your league, but doesn't win your division. Now you're potentially playing the 5th best team that maybe has 10 less wins that you over the course of the season. You lose this one game and your season is done. You also have to burn your #1 with no time to recover for the next series. The baseball season is too long to have only one game decide your playoff fate.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mollicap16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2012 at 11:11am
The phillies had their first spring season game agaisnt the yankies and they got killed 8-5. They played all their scrubs but it was good to see a game.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2012 at 5:15pm
Is the playoffs now 5 teams in each conf instead of the 4? If that's true I'm kinda glad cuz it'll give other teams a chance to see the playoffs (like my Jays). Apparently, AL east is the toughest div in all sports. Its nice to see a bit of change in the game.
shing02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2012 at 10:04pm
GIANTS PRACTICE, YEEUUUH....
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2012 at 7:07am
The format just doesn't make a lot of sense.  This year the NLDS is 2-3 format, meaning the better team has to open up on the road.  I know the thought is that the division winners will get an advantage because the wild cards (theoretically) burn their best pitcher in the knockout game.  But I think the previous playoffs have shown that sometimes too much rest makes a team rusty.
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2012 at 7:07am
Originally posted by Von44

Is the playoffs now 5 teams in each conf instead of the 4? If that's true I'm kinda glad cuz it'll give other teams a chance to see the playoffs (like my Jays). Apparently, AL east is the toughest div in all sports. Its nice to see a bit of change in the game.

Yea 5 teams, 3 division winners and the two wildcards have a one game playoff. I like having more teams, but see above for how much I dislike the one game playoff part.
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BudAshes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2012 at 8:48am
Who do you guys think would be  a better keeper for the next 3 years: Jacoby Ellsbury or Justin Upton?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mollicap16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2012 at 3:20pm
Thats a good question if you said b.j Upton i would pick Upton. But Ellsbury had such a great season last year i would go with the hotter player which is Ellsbury.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 4:25am
Ellsbury would give you more speed, and has a pretty sick lineup behind him. It's a good problem to have, though.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 4:40am

I'm not either. Pretty sure I already posted this, but I don't see why they didn't make it a 3-game playoff. Just a fairer way to decide your season's fate, screw how "exciting" it might be.

Say you're the team that has the 2nd best record in your league, but doesn't win your division. Now you're potentially playing the 5th best team that maybe has 10 less wins that you over the course of the season. You lose this one game and your season is done. You also have to burn your #1 with no time to recover for the next series. The baseball season is too long to have only one game decide your playoff fate.

I did look more into this new playoff format and like i said, i think it's great to see a fifth team will get a chance to see the playoffs but to have it be decided by one game just doesn't seem right after all the work in the regular season.

Wouldn't it make more sense for the league to allow more teams into the playoffs kinda like what the NHL has? Allowing 16 teams get a chance to make the playoffs would make for a more exciting playoffs, would it not? I know this is far from being traditional but it's just a thought. 3 game series in the first round and followed by 7 from that point on. sorry kinda getting ahead of myself.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 5:07am
Originally posted by BudAshes

Who do you guys think would be  a better keeper for the next 3 years: Jacoby Ellsbury or Justin Upton?
Personally I would go with Upton.  I think he has the potential to put up big numbers in the next three years.  I think you saw Ellsbury's best in 2011.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 84>