Official 2014 MLB Season

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 4748495051 86>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jaydoc08 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jaydoc08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official 2014 MLB Season
    Posted: Feb/07/2013 at 2:36pm
I think a lot of teams would think about giving Kershaw that money. Kershaw is probably the best young pitcher out there, I don't think he'll leave LA, but you never know how free agency turns out.
DCC View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
East Coast Rider

Quote DCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2013 at 3:11pm
King Felix with a nice fat contract today, the fattest actually.  Too bad the mariners suck.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2013 at 6:36pm
So risky to give a pitcher a deal more than 5 years. So high health risk and productivity risk.  No way Kershaw leaves the dodgers.  They are giving money where they shouldn't no way they dont give a deal to Kershaw who actually earns it.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2013 at 7:17am
Originally posted by DCC

King Felix with a nice fat contract today, the fattest actually.  Too bad the mariners suck.

Yeah.. we fans of the paltry M's are very well aware of this. Their batting average leader for last season hit .276 (not counting those with very limited at bats). Not to clown on Jaso, as I find he's an incredibly entertaining player to watch, but CMON!

Originally posted by shwazy

So risky to give a pitcher a deal more than 5 years. So high health risk and productivity risk.  No way Kershaw leaves the dodgers.  They are giving money where they shouldn't no way they dont give a deal to Kershaw who actually earns it.

While I'm a huge fan of Felix, and am glad he's sticking around Seattle a while longer, I was thinkin the same thing! Hell, he could tear a ligament one game into this season and could possibly never pitch again! Forecasting 7 years down the road is INSANE! I understand pitchers want to feel protected, but to the same end, there's no guarantee a team will have their investment protected.. ya know?
Jaydoc08 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jaydoc08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2013 at 10:40am
These huge contracts are necessary to keep your home-grown studs, unless you lock them up early. I think we'll see the contracts go down when this tv revenue bubble bursts.
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2013 at 3:27pm
Tim Lincecum chopped his hair off.looks like a geek now.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2013 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by solocreep

yep a geek that can pitch in the majors.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2013 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by 360faceplant

Originally posted by Von44

Looks like Felix is sticking around in Seattle for the next 7 years. He signed a 7 year deal worth $175M making him the highest paid pitcher in baseball. This makes Arod's contract look like peanuts in comparison.

A-Rod's contract was 10 years and $250 million.  So the same per year and he had 3 more years.

If Kershaw is going to get $200 million it's only going to come from the Dodgers who now have money to burn.  No one else would offer him that.
yeah arid had the same money per year but he played a full season and not just 30+ starts. Every start Felix makes will be approx just over $750,000 per start.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2013 at 7:25am

Now there is officially nothing to like about the Giants.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2013 at 6:23pm
What is with the Indians signing over-the-hill vets to minor contracts? I mean Jason Giambi and now Matsuzaka. Guess their farm team doesn't have much goin on.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2013 at 7:42am
Originally posted by shwazy

Now there is officially nothing to like about the Giants.

1. Hahaha, nice one!
2. He looked like a geek before the haircut, just more of an 80s era geek.

What is with the Indians signing over-the-hill vets to minor contracts? I mean Jason Giambi and now Matsuzaka. Guess their farm team doesn't have much goin on.

While he's definitely not been the dominant pitcher he was in 07-09, Matsuzaka's still only 32. There's a number of pitchers who have gone a ways beyond that. While the tommy john and last year's 8+ ERA are certainly liabilities, he was still pitching just shy of 1 strikeout per inning. In very limited-inning appearances (say as limited relief pitcher, similar to the Mariner's setup in 2007-2009), it could work out. The $1.5 mill Minor league contact won't really put the Indians in any kind of financial bind, so they still can hold some options open for the young guns :)
Jaydoc08 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jaydoc08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2013 at 6:19am
Surprised to see the indians signing bourn. Not a bad signing considering their pick 1st round pick is protected. Could be a dark horse team this year.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2013 at 6:56am
Oh here we go again.... jays injuries already piling up. Rasmus, Santos, and now Lawrie. Dammit its only spring training!
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2013 at 8:13am

Oh here we go again.... jays injuries already piling up. Rasmus, Santos, and now Lawrie. Dammit its only spring training!

Oye! I was wondering where this thread ended up! Thanks for reviving it, Von. Sucky that it's on such poor circumstances. The Jays have really had a rough going with their injuries the past couple seasons. Vying against Baltimore and NYY is already a tall enough order. Gotta be healthy!
I'm hoping the young Seattle team can somehow be competitive in the AL West this year. The Rangers and Athletics put on quite a show last year, and despite the Angels weaknesses, still have Mr. Trout at their disposal. Really tough division! I really am curious how the new field dimensions at Safeco will help their batting. Safeco has neverbeen a hitter's ballpark, but if you're the home team, you should still be able to hit better there than your opponent lol.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2013 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Jaydoc08

Surprised to see the indians signing bourn. Not a bad signing considering their pick 1st round pick is protected. Could be a dark horse team this year.

I like the signing.  They waited out the market and got a very productive player at a fair price.  Also, Swisher is one of the most consistent players in the league.  They just need to cross their fingers about the rotation.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2013 at 6:53am
Originally posted by Geez

I like the signing.  They waited out the market and got a very productive player at a fair price.  Also, Swisher is one of the most consistent players in the league.  They just need to cross their fingers about the rotation.
Yea I think Swisher can really help the ball club. He could have a really good year hitting cleanup.

@j_lucky - I'm just praying that they can all stay healthy during the regular season. Also, not too worried about the Yankees this year as they've lost a lot of core guys and vets via signings or injuries. Boston is rebuilding. So really its just Baltimore and Tampa that my Jays are competing with, but then again, it's Boston and NY were talking about so I will not look past them. As for the AL West, it's looking more stacked each and every day kinda like what the East was for the past several years. M's are kinda in the same spot as the Jays going up against powerhouse teams. Just gotta stay healthy and grind out some games.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2013 at 9:17am

Jays got a lot of new toys this year.  If ever there was a year for them to make a run, this is it.  Yankees could struggle (by that I mean, not win 95 games), Sox big signings were Victorino and Napoli, and the O's probably won't win 90% of their 1-run games again.  Rays are always a threat, though.
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2013 at 9:22am
I am loving just watching video of Bryce Harper's swing. It is so perfect.  Glad baseball is here.
Jaydoc08 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jaydoc08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2013 at 9:37am
Chris Sale and Allen Craig were locked up to team friendly deals. I'm curious to see how Trout is for a full season. He bulked up and looks like a fullback.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 11:50am
Not that I really have much interest in the outcome, but it's sort of sad/funny that the only way for the WBC to garner any attention is a bench clearing brawl.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 4:16pm
Getting my fantasy baseball team draft ready. Still think I'd take Miggy 1st and then Trout.
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 4:42pm

Getting my fantasy baseball team draft ready. Still think I'd take Miggy 1st and then Trout.

With Austin Jackson and Torii Hunter batting before and Prince Fielder and Victor Martinez batting behind Miggy I think he is going to put up some huge numbers.  Triple Crown again?  Doubtful but at the very least he will hit .300 with 30HRs and 120RBI.

I think Matt Kemp (if he stays healthy), Andrew McCutchen, Joey Votto, and Carlos Gonzalez are first rounders.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by sideways99

With Austin Jackson and Torii Hunter batting before and Prince Fielder and Victor Martinez batting behind Miggy I think he is going to put up some huge numbers.  Triple Crown again?  Doubtful but at the very least he will hit .300 with 30HRs and 120RBI.

I think Matt Kemp (if he stays healthy), Andrew McCutchen, Joey Votto, and Carlos Gonzalez are first rounders.
kinda on the fence with Carlos as his numbers have dipped since 2010.

And if Miggy only projects his 30/120/300 stats then I think I'd may go with Trout instead cuz of his speed. If Miggy has better projections like say another +10 homers then it's a clear choice.
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 5:18pm
^ That's the low end for Miggy (30/120/.300), I expect he'll put up much better stats than that.

Trout may suffer from the sophomore slump... then again he might not.  

That's the great thing about baseball in March, anything is possible.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 9:53am

I'm really hoping Trout doesn't hit the slump. I really enjoy watching the guy play, and not only for the stats he puts up. He just seems to really love playing the game for the sake of playing the game. Hardly ever see that guy out in the field without a smile on his face. He never looks pressured to do much, and always seems to execute. All sports need more people like that guy :)
Jaydoc08 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jaydoc08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 12:08pm
My personal top 10 for fantasy baseball
1. Miguel
2. Trout
3. Braun
4. Cano
5. Kemp
6. Pujols
7. Votto
8. McCutchen(Hate the pick)
9. Fielder
10. Cargo(Might be the worst place to draft)
360faceplant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 360faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 12:55pm

^ That's the low end for Miggy (30/120/.300), I expect he'll put up much better stats than that.

Trout missed being a rookie 2 years ago by like 5 at bats, so last year was pretty much his sophmore season.  I would just be worried that he showed up to camp overweight.  When speed is a part of your game, you never want to play your way into shape.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by 360faceplant

Trout missed being a rookie 2 years ago by like 5 at bats, so last year was pretty much his sophmore season.  I would just be worried that he showed up to camp overweight.  When speed is a part of your game, you never want to play your way into shape.

I thought Trouts take on the weight gain was funny.  Purposefully gaining fat to get more power.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2013 at 6:13pm
Idk, I think I'd put pujols ahead of kemp just cuz he's got better support in the lineup.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2013 at 7:13pm

My personal top 10 for fantasy baseball
1. Miguel
2. Trout
3. Braun
4. Cano
5. Kemp
6. Pujols
7. Votto
8. McCutchen(Hate the pick)
9. Fielder
10. Cargo(Might be the worst place to draft)

I think that is a pretty solid top-10.  Maybe swap a few places, but you can't really go wrong with the top picks.  Votto is a great pick if your league gives points for OPS.  Unless Braun gets suspended (I doubt he will), he is the most consistent OF in fantasy. 
Jaydoc08 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jaydoc08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2013 at 10:23am
I think kemp has a huge bounce back year. He was on track for it last year before he got hurt. Pujols is a stud but there's not that big of a difference between him and votto and fielder. I think you draft for value. I have 5 OF spots in my league so it's important to get a stud early. There's a decent depth of 1b
greenmnmsi View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Ride wit me

Quote greenmnmsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2013 at 11:27am
I got Kaepernick in my keeper league....is he worth holding on over RBs Bradshaw and Turner?
Jaydoc08 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jaydoc08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2013 at 11:36am
Originally posted by greenmnmsi

I got Kaepernick in my keeper league....is he worth holding on over RBs Bradshaw and Turner?

Wrong sport , but yea defiantly. Those two won't even be starting next year.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2013 at 1:10pm

Kaepernick was drafted by the Cubs, but I think he is glad he chose football.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2013 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by LeerroooyJenkins

Kaepernick was drafted by the Cubs, but I think he is glad he chose football.
Well he could do both. could be the next Bo Jackson and Prime Time for both baseball and football.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2013 at 5:05am
I hate to admit it, but I am getting into the WBC.  The U.S. / DR game last night was pretty intense.  I have never seen teams spill onto the field for runs that were not walk-off winners like the DR did.  Except of course for when the Indians ran onto the field after Pedro Cerrano's 2-run shot in the 8th inning to tie the game against the Yanks.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2013 at 6:22am
^It def was intense, but as a Jays fan, I got kinda nervous watching Dickey throw one high and in on Jose Reyes. I'm sure it wasn't intentional but def made me a bit nervous for a moment there.

on a side note, Johnson pitching well for the Jays so far in s/t. Could be a big year for this guy.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2013 at 12:22pm
Will be interesting to see what happens with the Braves bullpen.  Kimbrel didn't look so hot in the WBC, and reports say O'Flaherty and Venters' velocity is way down.  I liked the Upton pickups, but no Prado, Chipper or Bourn this year will hurt.  Plus, who knows what they are getting out of McCann after the shoulder injury.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2013 at 9:23pm
It was technically spring training for him so he's just warming up. I'm not worried, it's the braves, they're annual contenders for div or wc at least.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2013 at 4:53am

I am starting to get more skeptical that Halladay will ever get it back.  If anyone has the work ethic to do it, it's Doc.  But there is a lot of mileage in that arm, and the velocity has been alarmingly dropping for a year.

shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2013 at 9:27am
Dodgers should keep Harang, Cap, and Lilly.

Billingsley almost required Tommy John last year, Greinke is already experiencing arm trouble, Kershaw almost had surgery on his hip, and Ryu has never seen a gym.  
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2013 at 7:10am
^then i guess SF is gonna take the NL again this year. So much for a little competition in the West.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2013 at 7:30am
Don't forget about the Cubs...

Nevermind, forget about the Cubs.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2013 at 8:38am
Speaking of the NL West, tough break for Chase Headley.  He really put together a good season last year - .286 / 31HR / 115 RBI / Gold Glove.  He should only miss the first few weeks of the season, but the Padres might have a chance to put together a decent season if he puts up similar numbers.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2013 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by LeerroooyJenkins

Don't forget about the Cubs...

Nevermind, forget about the Cubs.

Haha, nice.

Hopin some of these trades will mix up the season a bit. Definitely gotta get up to Seattle this summer n see an M's game (even though they'll likely lose in a 2-0 blowout lol)
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2013 at 3:36am
I'm excited to see a new change in the AL east. No more Yankees and Bosox taking it cuz of deeper pockets. Can't wait to see how the jays do this year. Just stay healthy plz.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2013 at 5:11pm
^Now it is looking like Jeter might not be ready for the start of the season.  No Jeter, Teixiera, Granderson, A-Rod... Basically Cano and Ichiro need to be otherworldly when the season starts or the Yanks are going to struggle.  Of course, it seems like this is said about them a lot and they end up with 95 wins.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2013 at 1:43am
Originally posted by Geez

^Now it is looking like Jeter might not be ready for the start of the season.  No Jeter, Teixiera, Granderson, A-Rod... Basically Cano and Ichiro need to be otherworldly when the season starts or the Yanks are going to struggle.  Of course, it seems like this is said about them a lot and they end up with 95 wins.
true, anything is possible when it comes to the Yankees. I expect to see a lot of 1-0 or 2-1 wins. It'll be interesting to see how they do this year.
Jaydoc08 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jaydoc08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2013 at 9:15am
Hanley out 2 months after injury in the WBC. Dodgers have to be pissed.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2013 at 10:13am
^Hanley out two month, Crawford can't throw, and Greinke with a cranky elbow.  That is like $70 million on the DL.  That team is feast or famine, and if the starters get injured, the bench is thin.  Any team with Kershaw, Kemp and Adrian Gonzalez should be able to compete, but there is a lot of dead weight right now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 86>