Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 23456 77>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Online Status: Offline
  Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official 2014 MLB Season
    Posted: Mar/05/2012 at 5:32am
If you're not cheating you're not trying gotta love Braun. I heard yesterday at the cactus leagues game that he was getting taunted left and right. Im from milwaukee and im sorry I cant help but think hes a tool
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 3:20am
^Agreed.  Just because he got away with it, doesn't make him innocent.  He just found a loophole.  The worst thing about it is that he shouldn't have won the MVP in the first place.  Matt Kemp had a better year.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 3:50am
^ Kemp had incredible stats last season, 1 category shy of the elusive Triple Crown.  The knock against him is he had an outstanding season for a crappy team (same could be said for Kershaw).  Whether Kemp had a great season or not the Dodgers did not make the playoffs.  If herpes-Braun did not have a great season would the Brewer have finished in 1st place and made the playoffs?

Based solely on stats I would have given the MVP to Kemp.  Based on the player's value to the team... well, that's a tough call.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 4:35am
Braun also had Prince protecting him. I think Kemp had the better year, Braun had the better team.
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 7:49am
Originally posted by ctoma

Based solely on stats I would have given the MVP to Kemp.  Based on the player's value to the team... well, that's a tough call.

That's part of the problem, people have a different definition of what the MVP is. To some it's the best statistical season, to some it's the most value relative to their team. I usually lean to player who I think had the better season regardless of their team's success so I would have probably voted Kemp.
360faceplant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 360faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 7:58am
Originally posted by mollicap16

The phillies had their first spring season game agaisnt the yankies and they got killed 8-5. They played all their scrubs but it was good to see a game.

Not only did the Yankees win, but Pineda looked pretty good too.  He's also almost lost the extra 10 pounds he showed up to camp with.

On the down side, Benuelos and Betances are still struggling to the point where people are wondering if they're actually as close to the MLB level as previously thought.  No bueno Benuelos!!   
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 9:42am
Originally posted by broys

That's part of the problem, people have a different definition of what the MVP is. To some it's the best statistical season, to some it's the most value relative to their team. I usually lean to player who I think had the better season regardless of their team's success so I would have probably voted Kemp.

And to some a pitcher shouldn't be eligible for the MVP, glad most voters didn't feel that way and Verlander won the award.
mollicap16 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mollicap16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 6:51pm
Andrew McCutchen agreed to a six year deal worth 51.5 million dollars a contract well deserved he is the heart of the pirates organization.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
  Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 7:20pm
Wouldve been rough if they didn't lock him down. That team needs help sucks to be the punching bad of the west.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 4:22am

^ Kemp had incredible stats last season, 1 category shy of the elusive Triple Crown.  The knock against him is he had an outstanding season for a crappy team (same could be said for Kershaw).  Whether Kemp had a great season or not the Dodgers did not make the playoffs.  If herpes-Braun did not have a great season would the Brewer have finished in 1st place and made the playoffs?

That's been an ongoing debate for a while.  Braun was the best player on a good team, but Matt Kemp almost won the triple crown and he stole 40 bases.  Personally I feel like in baseball, the MVP should be the guy with the best stats. 

In other sports, personal performance is tied into team performance much more closely.  In baseball, when you're up to bat, you're on your own.  You have different situations, hit-and-runs, etc, but when you're Matt Kemp or Ryan Braun, basically you go up there and take your swings.  So Matt Kemp scored more runs and drove in more runs for his team, and really that is the goal of hitting a baseball.  And in the other aspects of the game, Kemp stole more bases, and he won a Gold Glove.  Ryan Braun had a higher batting average and ingested more synthetic testosterone.

Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 4:29am
Wow, the Mets really are a (mess) show.  There is no way they get out from under this mess unless the Wilpons sell the team, and that guy has been an owner for like 40 years and the Mets are his legacy.  The best thing for all parties is if he sells the team and they can start fresh.  However, it looks like they will let the Madoff suit play out before he does anything.  As a Phils fan, I can't say that I am that broken up about it, but the situation is just sad (i.e. pathetic, that tear-inducing).  Let the bidding for David Wright begin!
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 7:16am
Originally posted by grapeape2669

In other sports, personal performance is tied into team performance much more closely.  In baseball, when you're up to bat, you're on your own.  You have different situations, hit-and-runs, etc, but when you're Matt Kemp or Ryan Braun, basically you go up there and take your swings.  So Matt Kemp scored more runs and drove in more runs for his team, and really that is the goal of hitting a baseball.  And in the other aspects of the game, Kemp stole more bases, and he won a Gold Glove.  Ryan Braun had a higher batting average and ingested more synthetic testosterone.

There are other issues tied to personal performance in baseball that are team based. If you're in a good offense you'll produce more runs and RBIs because of the other hitters around you. Also, a big thing is who's behind you in the lineup, because that will affect the pitches you see in a lot of situations. The funny thing is though, all of that still favors Kemp, because Braun had Fielder behind him and a better offense.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 360faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Geez

Wow, the Mets really are a (mess) show.  There is no way they get out from under this mess unless the Wilpons sell the team, and that guy has been an owner for like 40 years and the Mets are his legacy.  The best thing for all parties is if he sells the team and they can start fresh.  However, it looks like they will let the Madoff suit play out before he does anything.  As a Phils fan, I can't say that I am that broken up about it, but the situation is just sad (i.e. pathetic, that tear-inducing).  Let the bidding for David Wright begin!

This just goes to show what a clown Selig is.  The Mets are in far worse shape than the Dodgers were, but because Selig and the Wilpons are friends, MLB won't force a sale or seize the team.  Also who are these idiots saying they'll give 20m for a minority share with essentially no rights or say in anything the team does?

The Mets are on pace for the biggest salary dump ever.  Even worse than when the Marlins won in '97 then cleaned house. 

As a Yankee fan I don't really care, but as a sports fan, it's horrible for baseball and horrible for NY. 
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 4:07pm
I'm in a 12 team fantasy MLB league and was just wondering which round to draft Darvish or if I should stay away from him.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 5:14pm
Dodgers ... Are you ever gonna be really good anytime soon so I can be proud to root for you?
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 11:15pm
first season in my lifetime that the angels actually shopped outside of the bargain bin...will be a very different feel here in orange county with albert here
DCC View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
East Coast Rider

Quote DCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Von44

I'm in a 12 team fantasy MLB league and was just wondering which round to draft Darvish or if I should stay away from him.

he did pretty good in his debut today.  i'm sure there's someone who's gonna risk it and take him way too early.  the guy can throw 7 pitches.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 3:23am
Originally posted by broys

Originally posted by grapeape2669

There are other issues tied to personal performance in baseball that are team based. If you're in a good offense you'll produce more runs and RBIs because of the other hitters around you. Also, a big thing is who's behind you in the lineup, because that will affect the pitches you see in a lot of situations. The funny thing is though, all of that still favors Kemp, because Braun had Fielder behind him and a better offense.
Exactly.  Kemp certainly wasn't protected as well as Braun.  Nobody wants to pitch to Prince.  So really the in the true sense of the word, Kemp was clearly more valueable to his team.  But in order to get the votes, you need to have value to a team that wins.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 5:28am
I am allowed 6 keepers and for my last 2 slots, I need to pick two of the following 3: Alex Gordon, Uggla or Napoli.  It's auction and I got these guys dirt cheap, so they will be a minimal cap hit.  Thoughts?
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 6:29am
I'd take Uggla and Gordon if you don't care about Uggla's avg. I think Napoli won't be able to repeat those numbers again.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 9:43am
Darvish is for real and the Rangers bats should help him get a bunch of wins. I'd take him pretty early if you like to take pitchers first.
azngolfur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote azngolfur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 9:45am
Not 100% sold on Darvish... Dice-K had the same hype too but look how that turned out...
tworunningcards View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote tworunningcards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 10:04am
Originally posted by azngolfur

Not 100% sold on Darvish... Dice-K had the same hype too but look how that turned out...

MLB and NPB are pretty different, but he should hold up well. We'll see what happens.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 10:29am
A 10-team playoff?  What the... ?
I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.  It seems to cram too much in at the end of the season.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 10:47am
it's just a 1-game play in for the wildcard team..not a big deal
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 10:58am
I guess that could make things pretty exciting, though it's kind of a bummer to "make the playoffs" only to have to face the opposing team's ace.  In a 1-game series, that really sucks to play 162 only to have it come down to 1 game.  (Unless of course its Game 7 of the WS)
DCC View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
East Coast Rider

Quote DCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 11:02am
it's gonna add more excitement to the end of the season, especially on the last day. 
azngolfur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote azngolfur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 11:23am
Not sure how much more exciting the last day of the season could be than last year...

The whole system is screwy. Let's say NYY and BOS have great years... and BOS ends up leading the wild card by say... 10 games or so. Now, you give the other team that is 10 games behind the wild card leader a 1 game chance to get into the playoffs?

Seems like it screws whoever is the wild card leader. Don't get me wrong though, it definitely gives a lot more teams hope for the playoffs
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 360faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 11:25am
Originally posted by robnezz23

I guess that could make things pretty exciting, though it's kind of a bummer to "make the playoffs" only to have to face the opposing team's ace.  In a 1-game series, that really sucks to play 162 only to have it come down to 1 game.  (Unless of course its Game 7 of the WS)

You're assuming they can pitch their "Ace" in that game.  What if they need him in the last game of the season?  Also if they pitch their "Ace" in that game, then he won't be able to pitch until probably game 3 or 4 in the division series, which means 1 start.  It's gonna affect a lot of stuff.

My problem is that a wild card team can have a better record than a division winner and it get's forced into the 1 game playoff.  Screw winning the division, top 3 records get the bye and the worst 2 play in the playoff even if they won the division.
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 11:29am
Originally posted by 360faceplant

My problem is that a wild card team can have a better record than a division winner and it get's forced into the 1 game playoff.  Screw winning the division, top 3 records get the bye and the worst 2 play in the playoff even if they won the division.

That's the biggest problem I have as well. Reward the better team for their 162 game regular season, or at least let them have 3 games to fight it out. Winning 90 games only to have something screwy happen in a one game playoff isn't right.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 3:51am
^To be fair you didn't have that great of a season if you didn't even win your division.  And if you have the better record I'm sure you get home field for the wild card play-in game.  I agree that 3 games would probably be better than 1, but I'm sure schedule constraints come into play.
Oh, and what happens if there is a tie for the 2nd wild card spot?  Do they do a 1-game playoff for the wild card spot before the 1-game wild card play-in game?
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 5:30am
A lot of work still needs to be done with this new format but if they make a few tweaks to the playoffs then I think we may be looking at a pretty exciting playoffs for years to come.

And I think they'd use a tie-breaker, like runs scored, instead of holding a 1-game tie-breaker for the remaining wild card spot. Like i said, a lot of work needs to be done but i think they're on the right track.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 6:11am
I am not a big fan of the new format, but I guess we are going to have to live with it.

Now, if they try to bring the DH to the NL, well, that would be a be a lot harder to take.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 7:17am

You're assuming they can pitch their "Ace" in that game.  What if they need him in the last game of the season?  Also if they pitch their "Ace" in that game, then he won't be able to pitch until probably game 3 or 4 in the division series, which means 1 start.  It's gonna affect a lot of stuff.

I'm assuming they would pitch their Ace in the 1-game playoff in a situation where the winner of the top wild-card sport is not a close race.  That team would theoretically rest their ace the last week of the season, and then put him on the hill for the 1-game playoff series.  If I were manager, I would do that in a heartbeat.  Because I'd rather make it through to the next round then be packing my bags and heading home.  Alot can happen in a 5 game LDS that you won't need to rely on your Ace as much (well, hopefully).
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 7:52am

I'm assuming they would pitch their Ace in the 1-game playoff in a situation where the winner of the top wild-card sport is not a close race.  That team would theoretically rest their ace the last week of the season, and then put him on the hill for the 1-game playoff series.  If I were manager, I would do that in a heartbeat.  Because I'd rather make it through to the next round then be packing my bags and heading home.  Alot can happen in a 5 game LDS that you won't need to rely on your Ace as much (well, hopefully).

You're also assuming that the team could rest their ace the last week, and they won't be in a fight to even make it to the wild-card round.

I like the one game as a tiebreaker for a playoff spot, the teams had an equal record, have them play it out. As an actual playoff series, there's too much potential for a team with a worse record to prevail in a one games series, I mean even the worst teams get 40-50 wins a year. You just can't predict how the division winners and wild card team records will play out.  If it was the top 3 records are safe and then the next two best records play the one game then I'd be more OK with it.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 9:18am
I heard some baseball commentary that a full playoff series for the wildcard spot would actually hurt the teams that won their divisions because their pitchers are not getting their regular rotation days and would throw them off. The teams that had to keep playing would have an advantage over teams that rested. But I think that teams could just pitch simulated games to work around that waiting period.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 10:11am
im not sure how i feel about the newly added wild card spot. i understand that it allows more teams to keep hope alive at the end of the season and that will in turn keep fan interest alive but it (the wild card game) being just one game leads me to question the necessity of it
tworunningcards View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote tworunningcards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 10:51am
The 10 team playoff discussion has been done to death, but here's my 2 cents anyway. It puts more emphasis on winning the division to avoid a "sudden death" game. It keeps fan interest in that 5th place team's market to drive tv ratings. On the other hand, it has the potential to royally screw the 4th place "true wildcard". It creates a situation where a team with 15-20 wins more than another team could be knocked out. This sucks. Any team can beat any other team in a single game. No bueno.
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 5:12pm
Good news for Giants fans. Posey caught two innings and survived.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
shing02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 10:48pm
FOR REAL, POSEY'S BACK!
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2012 at 5:04am
Wainwright had a good return as well.  Clearly the Cards lost their two biggest pieces, Pujols and LaRussa, but Beltran-Holliday-Berkman is still solid (albeit old), and if you catch Carpenter and Wainwright in a short series, it could be a problem.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2012 at 11:35am
The "report" that Halladay was injured made my heart skip a beat.  The fact that he and the GM both laughed it off made me feel better, but come on, don't toy with my emotions.  Howard will likely be out until July (or the entire season), Utley is always iffy and the rest of the line up has question marks.  If Halladay, Lee and Hamels are not tip-top, there will be problems.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2012 at 3:32am
^You'll have to excuse me if I don't feel bad for you since the Phillies have been absolutely stacked for the past few years.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 360faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2012 at 8:03am
Andy Pettitte comes out of retirement to pitch for the Yanks!  They're rotation was already pretty good.  If he can do what he did in 2010, it would boost them to another level.  They are a little overcrowded now though...

Sabathia
Pineda
Kuroda
Nova
Pettitte
Hughes
Garcia (probably long relief out of the bullpen)

A couple minor leaguers floating around too.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2012 at 10:08am

Andy Pettitte comes out of retirement to pitch for the Yanks!  They're rotation was already pretty good.  If he can do what he did in 2010, it would boost them to another level.  They are a little overcrowded now though...

Sabathia
Pineda
Kuroda
Nova
Pettitte
Hughes
Garcia (probably long relief out of the bullpen)

A couple minor leaguers floating around too.
Yankees will be pretty solid this year.  Although I heard murmurs that Pineda showed up 20 lbs heavier than spring training last year with the Mariners and that his velocity is way down.  If any team can overcome it, it is the Yankees.  He just might not be Insta-Ace to start the season. 
kcsnowboard View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kcsnowboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2012 at 1:33pm
Seriously, Pettite is back? that's not fair at all.

As for my mariners, it's gonna be another long season.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2012 at 10:18pm
pujols is already lightin it up and so is the rest of the angel hitters. this year should be fun for angel fans
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2012 at 6:07am
SF Giants have to re-sign Cain right?  I know he and Hamels are going to command stupid money, but I don't think they want to split up him and Lincecum.  I know his career record is not that great, but his peripherals are some of the best in the game when you consider his run support.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 3:40am
Yea i'm pretty sure it's his last year before he becomes an FA. If SF doesn't pay him, there'll be plenty of clubs knocking on the door.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2012 at 8:38am

Now they're saying Utley will miss the beginning of the season.  I am a huge Utley fan, but at this point I think his career is in serious jeopardy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 77>