Official 2014 MLB Season

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 4445464748 86>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
twolf123 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote twolf123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official 2014 MLB Season
    Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 9:26am
i think the 4th game had everything anyone could ask for...to go to extra innings the way it did was PRETTY FREAKING TENSE

but yeah, the first 3 games felt like a walk in the park...if not for the giants playing as defensively as they do, the games could've gone much farther, possibly even a game 6
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 10:24am
The giants and cardinals-who i think would have also beat the tigers had they represented the nl, are the best examples of how baseball teams should be. Great pitching combined with veteran experience and just enough young talent. Im happy the giants won again
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 10:34am
Originally posted by timpiper

The giants and cardinals-who i think would have also beat the tigers had they represented the nl, are the best examples of how baseball teams should be. Great pitching combined with veteran experience and just enough young talent. Im happy the giants won again

Don't forget the defense.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
twolf123 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote twolf123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 10:50am

current trends for giants...
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 11:08am
No coincidence that he'll also win MVP this year.
shurst94 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Bretton Woods Peak

Quote shurst94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 12:03pm
KUNG FU PANDA YA'LLLLLLL
mao mao View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mao mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 1:56pm
My A's lost, but the Giants got revenge for the Bay!
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 3:34pm
crap after all those years of the giants not winning squat they win two out of three years...now its the dodgers who haven't won squat for many years...yikes
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

Sorry Ctoma, for my money I thought that was probably the worst WS I've ever seen, not sure why DET didn't show up. 

-b

No need to apologize, it was a shitty World Series.  The Tigers have done it to me again, got my hopes up (refer to 2006) and let them crash down to Earth.  

Sports talk radio here is lambasting everyone in the Tigers organization except Illitch.  There's the usual pie-in-the-sky talk (if we sign Josh Hamilton...) as well as the trade everyone talk (package Verlander with Fielder...), some of the fans here are delusional.  That's what happens when the Tigers take you on the playoffs roller coaster.  No one has come up with a decent reason for the Tigers' weak effort.  There's the "5 days of rest" bullshit, the "this team just expected to show up and win" excuse, and it goes on and on.  Bottom line is the stars did not perform as stars (Verlander, Cabrera, Fielder) and the "dirtbags" (Leyland's term of affection for the non-stars that grind out at-bats, hustle on the base paths, and do all the little things that help the team win) didn't do the "dirtbag" things they did in the regular season.  

At least I can say I was old enough to celebrate 1 World Series, 1984, when Detroit set the standard for World Series rioting.
shing02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 6:51pm
yeah, the series was pretty weak overall...BARELY put up a fight in games 2-3 and verlander basically rolled over and died in game 1...where everyone who watched PROBABLY expected a no-hitter, verlander gave up as soon as sandoval went up to bat

on another note...GOD DAMN IT SF

cheemaster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote cheemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by twolf123

current trends for giants...

HAHAHA wow everything makes sense now.
On another note, it was a pretty weak series in retrospect. I was too caught up in the giant's winning so i didn't get the chance to look at it from the other side, but I mean, I wasn't expecting that giant's to sweep and honestly kinda wanted them to at least bring back for game 6. but ecstatic either way
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 3:30am
As a disclaimer, I hate the SF Giants, and I don't think this would ever happen or be fair, but...

What if MLB, in an attempt to curb steroid use, would vacate any team's wins if they had a player fail a steroid test.  That's a legit threat.  The suspensions obviously aren't a huge concern, because players continue to juice up.  And everything worked out for San Fran this year.  Cabrera gave them half of a huge year, then got caught for juicing, and they rolled on without him to a World Series title.

Obviously it would be a very harsh penalty, but college sports actually does it.  Penn State lost ten years of wins or whatever because of an off-field issue.  USC and many other teams lost wins because of eligibility issues.  Just sayin.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 3:43am

solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 6:18am
^^ that's what alcohol will do...
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 6:21am

Hey, was that in New Jersey last night??

/have you ever been so stoked for something that you lit a car on fire?
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 7:35am
Uh, No.  Who the heck started the "tradition" of burning buses and cars anyways?  Its the most idiotic thing I can think of.  But, then again I'm sober so I actually have my wits about me.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 7:40am
Originally posted by ctoma

SF got WAAAAYYYY tooo Hyphy!!!! The Mission was tore up! It wasn't this crazy when we won in 2010.....When Hyphy goes wrong. Damn shame. OUR team wins and jackasses set fire to OUR OWN city?
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 7:44am
Originally posted by robnezz23

Uh, No.  Who the heck started the "tradition" of burning buses and cars anyways?  Its the most idiotic thing I can think of.  But, then again I'm sober so I actually have my wits about me.

I don't know if Kenny "Bubba" Helms of Lincoln Park, MI was the first when the 16 year old high school dropout posed for this photo after the Tigers won the World Series in 1984 but it's one image that stays with you for a long time.  Especially when you consider the overturned en fuego car is a Detroit Police car.  Nice gut, Bubba, RIP.

Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 7:47am

Oh, and Fu@k Joe Buck! East Coast bias mo' fo!
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 7:55am

the earliest i can remember was when the lakers won with kobe and shaq...anything earlier than that?
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 8:05am
I was thinking L.A. too, but with the Rodney King riots in the early 90s (I think that's when it was).  anyways, ctoma's pic of Bubba is from way back though, how'd you get ahold of that?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 8:10am
rodney king doesn't count since it was not a riot caused by a celebration...
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 8:48am
Originally posted by solocreep

^^ that's what alcohol will do...

I've consumed copious amounts of alcohol in my time, both in celebration and defeat, and never once was I inclined to commit arson.

And yeah, it looks like it actually got WORSE this time than it was in 2010. SF seriously needs to do something to get its citizens in check.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 8:49am

I was thinking L.A. too, but with the Rodney King riots in the early 90s (I think that's when it was).  anyways, ctoma's pic of Bubba is from way back though, how'd you get ahold of that?

I goggle'd 1984 World Series bubba burning car and went to the Images link.  Yeah, 1984 was a good year until Bubba made national news with that photo.

To put it in perspective, I was in my first year of college, working as a waiter at Chi-Chi's.  I watched the game at Chi-Chi's and a bunch of us decided to head into Detroit to celebrate.  We took famous Woodward Avenue as far as we could before it became a parking lot.  We parked on a side street and worked our way through the crowd, high-fiving strangers, sipping beers given to us by complete strangers, screaming, yelling, etc.  It was a great time.  Fortunately for us naive young white suburban kids we were pretty far from where the riots started and spread.

This is a good read, I can identify with the author although I didn't get a souvenir that night:

Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 3:46am
Why didn't Mike Trout win the gold glove in CF?  Nothing against Adam Jones, but Trout is just notably better.  He made half as many errors, stat nerds seem to be saying he was better in tons of weird defensive statistics, and he made more highlight reel catches.  I'm confused.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 5:46am
Originally posted by grapeape2669

Why didn't Mike Trout win the gold glove in CF?  Nothing against Adam Jones, but Trout is just notably better.  He made half as many errors, stat nerds seem to be saying he was better in tons of weird defensive statistics, and he made more highlight reel catches.  I'm confused.

That's a pretty good question, and I completely agree! During the MLB season, it seemed like every other day that guy was on Sportscenter's Top 10 doing something crazy good. I suppose the plus side is that he's uber young and will have a dozen more opportunities to grab that title :)
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 7:20am
^Right, maybe they figured that since he's already going to win MVP and RoY, a GG on top of it would just be too much.  It would go to his head and ruin the rest of his career.  haha
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 7:30am

These MLB awards have never made any sense to me. And why are they announced after the WS is over when voting was already done at the end of the season?

cheemaster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote cheemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 8:42am

^Right, maybe they figured that since he's already going to win MVP and RoY, a GG on top of it would just be too much.  It would go to his head and ruin the rest of his career.  haha

I think he could've won gg but iono I never payed attention too much besides what we saw on the highlight reel. And you think he's gonna win MVP? Cabrera has to win MVP. You can't not give MVP to a triple crown winner, no matter how good trout was this season. I was saying earlier, if he didn't get the triple crown then yeah, I think trout should win it, but it IS  a triple crown
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 8:52am
One of the biggest problems I see with the "he won the triple crown, he has to win MVP" argument is that if Josh Hamilton or Curtis Granderson had hit just 1 more HR, then he doesn't get the triple crown.  Then does he not get MVP in your eyes too?  Sure he had a great year, but when you factor in Trout's all-around impact on the game (he had 49, yes 49 stolen bases; he played an amazing CF; he played 20 less games than Cabrera because he started in AAA, but still scored 20 more Runs and led the league) he is BY FAR the most impactful, and thus most valuable to have on his team.
360faceplant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 360faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 9:09am

One of the biggest problems I see with the "he won the triple crown, he has to win MVP" argument is that if Josh Hamilton or Curtis Granderson had hit just 1 more HR, then he doesn't get the triple crown.  Then does he not get MVP in your eyes too?  Sure he had a great year, but when you factor in Trout's all-around impact on the game (he had 49, yes 49 stolen bases; he played an amazing CF; he played 20 less games than Cabrera because he started in AAA, but still scored 20 more Runs and led the league) he is BY FAR the most impactful, and thus most valuable to have on his team.

You do know that Mike Trout had 123 at bats last year.  The number to be considered a rookie is 130.  So 2 more games for him last year and he's not even in consideration for this ROY.  That's just as marginal as Cabrera's 1 HR.

Plus this all goes back to the argument: s valuable the same as outstanding? The Angels didn't even make the playoffs.  How valuable could Trout have been?
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 9:14am
123 at bats and 30 HRs?  There's no way that stat is correct.

But I agree on your MVP argument - Tigers made the playoffs so Cabrera was more valuable to their success.  Not Trout's fault, but that's how I would evaluate the award.

EDIT:  Never mind, I just re-read your post and I'm being a dumb-ass.  carry on.

But if I could have either player for the next 5 years it would be Trout, without question.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 9:18am
what's being discussed is MVP, not RoY. 
The Angels played in a much tougher division with 2 other playoff teams.  Not only that, they actually ended up with MORE wins than the Tigers.  Detroit ended up with the 11th best record in baseball.  Not exactly stellar.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 9:29am
I like Reggie's opinion on the matter:

Reggie Jackson said he doesn’t see a debate where the AL MVP award is concerned.

“MVP conversations are for people who don’t understand the game,” Jackson said Wednesday at Comerica Park. “Those conversations are for people who don’t know what a Triple Crown means. They don’t understand the greatness of what Miguel Cabrera has done this year.”

Jackson, the 1973 AL MVP for the Oakland A’s and a first-ballot Hall of Famer, said the sabermetricians who believe Los Angeles Angels outfielder Mike Trout should be this year’s MVP based on the Wins Above Replacement (W.A.R.) statistic are missing the obvious.

“W.A.R. evaluates the average player well but does not work in evaluating the great players,” Jackson said. “People under 40 tend to see the MVP as being Trout with the W.A.R. ratings. But people over 40 understand the Triple Crown that Miguel won this year, and know just how impressive that is.”
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 9:38am
What those stats do evaluate is a player's all-around performance.  Reggie is just talking about hitting. 

I agree that Trout is a better all-around player and did more (stolen bases, great D).  I just don't think you should win MVP when your team finished third in the division and missed the playoffs.

Or change the award to "Best All-Around Player" and be done with it.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 9:49am
I'll agree with Reggie and the argument for Cabrera. While trout had a really good season (and i don't believe the Angels would have been the same without him), players with really good seasons come around all the time. A triple crown hasn't been earned in 45 years when Yazi did it. That shows just how stellar of a feat it is.. and I'll argue Detroit wouldn't have been the same without him, either.
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 11:20am
A whole bunch of black and orange in SF. Giants parade looks crackin. Too bad I had to work.
360faceplant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 360faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 11:38am

The Angels played in a much tougher division with 2 other playoff teams.  Not only that, they actually ended up with MORE wins than the Tigers.  Detroit ended up with the 11th best record in baseball.  Not exactly stellar.

You're right, didn't mean to mix the 2.

W.A.R. = A theory which may or not be true
Cabrera won the Triple Crown = Fact

I go with Cabrera
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 12:18pm
OK, so we agree to disagree  Ermm

I guess I disagree with Mr. October too.  Dang I'm just not firing on all cylinders today.  It's not because I'm under 40.  I do recognize the importance of the Triple Crown; in fact I was in the Miggy for MVP camp for a long long time until I thought about what "valuable" means, at least to me, and I think to many managers too.  
I realize that the voters may not agree (Miggy probably will win MVP), but the ultimate goal in baseball is to win games, as many games as possible.  How do you win games? By scoring more runs than the other team.  How is this accomplished?  In a very basic sense, by producing runs and by preventing the other team from scoring as many runs.  Baseball has very specific and defined offensive and defensive portions, and when you can effect the outcome on both sides that is incredibly valuable to the win-loss record of any team.  If I had a vote, it would go to Trout.  Sorry Reggie.

Oh yeah, Disclaimer:  I grew up 10 minutes away from Angel Stadium.  Big smile  haha

timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 9:36pm
All i know is thank God the angels traded ervin santana!!! So sick of watching him give up close to 40 home runs a year
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 4:11am
Originally posted by 360faceplant

You're right, didn't mean to mix the 2.

W.A.R. = A theory which may or not be true
Cabrera won the Triple Crown = Fact

I go with Cabrera
I actually didn't know this until today, but only 5 of the 9 triple crown winners before Cabrera actually won the MVP.  But considering nobody has won a triple crown since Yaz in 1967, I would just assume Cabrera is a lock this year.  

That being said, I personally would vote for Trout, because his numbers are amazing across the board.  He only played 139 games and still led MLB in runs and stolen bases.  His conventional triple crown numbers of 30 HR, 83 RBI, .326 are legit.  And he was the best outfielder in the league regardless of the fact that he got screwed out of a gold glove award.
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 11:10am
Giants have the makings of a dynasty. If they win one more WS within the next 2 years, I think they've earned the right to be called a dynasty. I kinda expect them to over pay a little for key players to make it happen.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2012 at 9:40pm
I hope the angels can keep greinke. I feel bad for Whatever team is stupid enough to give josh hamilton a deal as big as he's looking for-something like 175 million for 7 years
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2012 at 9:04pm
Does anyone know why mark mcguire left st louis to become the dodgers hitting coach??
twolf123 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote twolf123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2012 at 10:26pm

I hope the angels can keep greinke. I feel bad for Whatever team is stupid enough to give josh hamilton a deal as big as he's looking for-something like 175 million for 7 years

SPEAKING OF ANGELS, and for the sake of hijacking and detracting your post from the angels ;D

angel pagan, scutaro, pence, and affeldt all just got resigned on the giants! ;D

i wonder if scutaro still has it in him to be SO FARKING CLUTCH...and for everyone to maintain that amazing defense in the upcoming year!
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 5:10pm
Damn, big trade between Marlins and Jays! Jays getting Reyes, Buerhle, Bell and J.Johnson. This totally changes the look of the team for next year. Def contenders in the east for 2013.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 9:42pm
And so goes the third complete fire sale of the marlins franchise-the first two coming in the wake of their two world series titles. Such a bizarre franchise.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 9:44pm
And so goes the third complete fire sale of the marlins franchise-the first two coming in the wake of their two world series titles. Such a bizarre franchise.
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2012 at 4:10am

They need to trade that thing in center field that goes off after a home run.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2012 at 4:28am
Originally posted by solocreep

They need to trade that thing in center field that goes off after a home run.

They need to trade that thing that calls himself the owner of the team, Jeffrey Loria is a joke.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 86>