Official 2014 MLB Season

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 4546474849 86>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
padres82 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote padres82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official 2014 MLB Season
    Posted: Nov/14/2012 at 5:14am
they traded a bunch of good as plyers for a bunch of crap damn!!!
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2012 at 8:30am
Preliminary reports indicate the Tigers have signed Torii Hunter to a 2 year deal.  Nice.  Put that 9-time Gold Glove winner in RF and 2nd in the batting lineup, should prove to be a good move for Detroit.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2012 at 8:35am
Originally posted by ctoma

Preliminary reports indicate the Tigers have signed Torii Hunter to a 2 year deal.  Nice.  Put that 9-time Gold Glove winner in RF and 2nd in the batting lineup, should prove to be a good move for Detroit.

Do they get a salary offset for when he collects social security ???

-b
get bent
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2012 at 9:30am
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

Originally posted by ctoma

Do they get a salary offset for when he collects social security ???

-b

Baaahhaha, good one! He certainly is getting along in the years, but I think he could still be a solid 2-spot hitter. Batted .313 last year, but he could definitely be a bit more patient at the plate. A little over 20% of his outs are strikeouts. But That's still better than grounding into a DP.
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2012 at 10:19am
Hunter setting the market for outfielders. Wonder how much Pagan is gonna want.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2012 at 4:01pm
Angels failed once again by letting hunter go-he was willing to give angels a discounted rate-he was our clubhouse leader and our third best player behind trout and weaver
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2012 at 5:00pm
Holy crap. Verlander didn't get the cy young?
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2012 at 8:27am
Originally posted by solocreep

from MLB.com: "The four-point margin between Price and Verlander made it one of the closest races in the history of the AL balloting and the slimmest margin of victory since 1969, the only Cy Young tie.
...He tied for the AL lead with 20 wins, and his 2.56 ERA was the best in the league. Price racked up 205 strikeouts in 211 innings and held opponents to a .318 slugging percentage, lowest in the AL, while making a Major League-high 23 starts of seven innings or more"

Pretty impressive stats for the season!
Price finished with 14 1st place votes, 13 2nd place votes, and 1 3rd place vote (153 points total).
Verlander finished with 13/13/2 (149 points total).
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2012 at 1:13pm
Only a matter of minutes till Posey gets his MVP.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2012 at 1:36pm

Why do you sound so surprised? He's not gonna win it hands down every year. JV didn't put numbers like he did the year before where he racked up 24 wins. He only won 17 so that doesn't guarantee him the Cy Young. Aside from K's, Price just had better numbers for a well deserved award.
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2012 at 4:16pm
Cabrera wins MVP!!! Helps take the sting outta Verlander not winning the Cy Young, although Price did have a better season and deserved it.
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2012 at 4:39pm
Verlander was going to have a tough time due to the lack of wins this year, but it is great to see Miggy get the MVP.  
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2012 at 7:09pm
Nice to see both MVPs in the world series. And on the final pitch too. One at catcher and the other caught looking.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2012 at 9:50pm
it would have been a near travesty for cabrera not to win the mvp-although trout would've won any other year in my opinion
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2012 at 5:26am
Should be interesting to see the kind of numbers Trout puts up with a full season.
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2012 at 10:52am
Blue Jays sign Melky Cabrera to a 2 year, $16M deal... man, the Jays are loading up. Look out Crankees, Toronto is gunning for you! That division keeps getting tougher by the day.
Winner#1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Winner#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2012 at 11:46am
Originally posted by sideways99

Blue Jays sign Melky Cabrera to a 2 year, $16M deal... man, the Jays are loading up. Look out Crankees, Toronto is gunning for you! That division keeps getting tougher by the day.

This is just getting out of hand now. Who do those crazy Canadians think they are
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2012 at 2:44pm
Haha lot of optimism here in Toronto now with all the sign and trades. I think the odds went from 32-1 to 14-1 to win the WS. Still ways to go but these additions def help.
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2012 at 8:53pm
Is that $16 million American dollars? Or Canadian?
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2012 at 3:41pm

Long gone are the days when you could say the American dollar held a vast supremacy to the Loony. $1 American is currently worth $1.0017 Canadian. :P
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2012 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by j_lucky84

Long gone are the days when you could say the American dollar held a vast supremacy to the Loony. $1 American is currently worth $1.0017 Canadian. :P
well said. but I feel a 2 year contract for someone that juiced is a bit much to invest in. I'm just hoping that it's not the .250 Melky.
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2012 at 5:32am
Originally posted by Von44

well said. but I feel a 2 year contract for someone that juiced is a bit much to invest in. I'm just hoping that it's not the .250 Melky.

I remember when he first got caught. I heard the cheaters are two steps ahead of the testing. If you get caught, its cuz you took it wrong. If anything, Melky learned how to take steroids the right way during his time off.

Now he has a WS ring and a new contact. And we just learned it pays to take steroids.
twolf123 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote twolf123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2012 at 4:21pm

I remember when he first got caught. I heard the cheaters are two steps ahead of the testing. If you get caught, its cuz you took it wrong. If anything, Melky learned how to take steroids the right way during his time off.

Now he has a WS ring and a new contact. And we just learned it pays to take steroids.

he wasn't part of the roster and he got a ring? wait what?

as for "being steps ahead"...yeah, he DEFINITELY tried to get away with it by creating a dumb website

his associate is banned from all but a SMALL HANDFUL of clubhouses, rightfully so, and the entire ordeal was COMPLETELY "hamfisted". while he was admittedly nice to have for a bit, everyone in sf loved the way he performed, he lied about it and basically almost cost the giants a post season entry...but i guess that's where pagan, pence, and scutaro come in
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2012 at 3:00pm
The more i hear about what kind of money greinke is gonna get i changed my mind and now really hope the angels let him go. Big, long term pitching contracts do not have a good history-ie zito and mike hamilton back in the day
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2012 at 8:53pm
The Jays/Marlins trade is finally official. It felt like forever. And from what I'm hearing, they aren't done.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2012 at 9:49pm
The jays, i think, recognize that although the al east will always be the most competitive division that its evening out and that they can make a real play if they go for it
shing02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2012 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by timpiper

The jays, i think, recognize that although the al east will always be the most competitive division that its evening out and that they can make a real play if they go for it

and that's how we got some of the BEST GAMES leading up to post season!
admittedly, WS was kinda shallow...lol
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 12:33am
Not excited to hear that they brought back John Gibbons as manager. He had a .500 record in his first 4 years and had a couple publicized fights with the players. But hopefully now that the team is more stacked he can do something with it and not beat up the players.
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 4:25am
I'm surprised no teams are trying to pry coaches away from the giants. 2 WS in 3 years? They know what they're doing.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2012 at 8:03am

Not excited to hear that they brought back John Gibbons as manager. He had a .500 record in his first 4 years and had a couple publicized fights with the players. But hopefully now that the team is more stacked he can do something with it and not beat up the players.

When they hired Gibbons, I initially thought he was the former Jays manager that lied about his military service... Google cleared that up for me, Tim Johnson.  They should have just re-hired Cito.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2012 at 4:34pm
Ya the jays, in loo of all their recent player upgrades, need a re-do on the manager hire
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2012 at 3:08pm
David Freese crashed into a tree while avoiding a deer, not the worst offseason news I have ever heard about a player.
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 1:33pm
Huge (by Rays standards)extension for Longoria 6 years/100 mill. Great for both sides.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 4:11pm
^Seriously.  I didn't know they had it in them.  Pretty much seals the deal that David Price will be on the market.  Considering what Cain and Hamels got, chances that the Rays retain Price are less than zero.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 5:18pm
Nice to see the Rays lock him down before the Yanks steal him away. But the question is whether or not he can stay healthy every season and avoid the DL. He's the key to the Rays offence.
mollicap16 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mollicap16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 7:57pm
Im really hoping the Phillies make some moves. Like Josh Hamilton, their lineup would be nasty. Either way i see the Phillies making the playoffs this year and making a run in playoffs.
shing02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 10:18pm
oh man, there's a HUGE chance we (giants) may LOSE brian wilson by friday!

at the same time...we're probably the only one who are willing to offer him a deal
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Geez

^Seriously. I didn't know they had it in them. Pretty much seals the deal that David Price will be on the market. Considering what Cain and Hamels got, chances that the Rays retain Price are less than zero.

They've been working with him on an extension as well and they have until 2016 to make it happen. I think the Rays would take a 6 year/100 mm extension for him too. You lose those two players, you lose the franchise itself.

I also am still praying for a move to Charlotte or Las Vegas to be honest (I'm a Rays fan)
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 8:01pm
I heard today that the angels signed ryan madsen, formerly of the phils-thats a decent sign considering it adresses their biggest issue-their bullpen
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 7:14pm
Barry Bonds. Hope he gets in the hall of fame. He was awesome even before the roids. He Sosa and Clemens are on the ballot.
mollicap16 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mollicap16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 7:45pm
Can anyone believe that Carlos Ruiz was roiding?..... Well actually yeah you don't have the best batting average on the team, when you were batting in the 8th spot the season before.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 8:03pm
Ruiz was not caught with anabolic steroids so stop that.

Amphetamines are used to stay awake/alert or lose weight. Quite the opposite of 'roids'. I've used them in the past and I didn't increase my batting average.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2012 at 6:32pm
I cannot believe the contract dan haren got from washington, all be it for only one year. BUT 13 million for an up and down above average, nothing special pitcher
Winner#1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Winner#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2012 at 9:10am
Shane Victorino signed by the Red Sox.
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2012 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Winner#1

Shane Victorino signed by the Red Sox.

I don't know why anyone would sign with the Sox.  The whole organization is on a sinking ship.  At least they got ride of Valentine, he was a terrible manager. 
"Sign up for the Daily give away at Thrive. http://www.thrivesnowboards.com/rp/66964"
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2012 at 7:15pm
Got an email from my A's that Spring training is only 80 days away!  I'm okay with that not coming too soon though, since I need to milk this winter for boarding since last year's was kind of a flop.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2012 at 9:10pm
Dan haren's replacement on the angels is joe blanton-oh boy
mok.eric View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mok.eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2012 at 9:36pm
All I know is that as long as the Jays stay healthy, they are definitely gonna be a contender in the AL East this year
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2012 at 4:16am
4 more years! With Pagan in a Giants uniform. 3 years with Scutaro. Money well spent
whitetiger View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote whitetiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 9:50am
Some friends went to last year's Spring Training and are thinking about going again. Anyone here ever been? Fun times?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 86>