Official 2014 MLB Season

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 34567 85>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official 2014 MLB Season
    Posted: Mar/19/2012 at 7:45pm
figure with work and this season being kinda crappy that i just rode my last day of the season today...might as well bring on the baseball season now
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2012 at 8:37am
Just goes to show you, the MLB cannot generate news like the NFL.  MLB season about to begin and the NFL just dropped bombshells on Payton, Peyton and Tebow.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 7:41am
Man oh man, what a classless act by Ubaldo yesterday

| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 7:55am
^^^ Doesn't bode well for the Tribe's season.  The worst part for us cleveland fans, as I think about it, is that Tulo would have laid Ubaldo out if he actually got his hands on him.  Not sure what their beef is about but Cleveland needs jiminez to focus on his pitches, not this ridiculousness

-b
get bent
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 7:59am
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

^^^ Doesn't bode well for the Tribe's season.  The worst part for us cleveland fans, as I think about it, is that Tulo would have laid Ubaldo out if he actually got his hands on him.  Not sure what their beef is about but Cleveland needs jiminez to focus on his pitches, not this ridiculousness

-b

I, for one, like where Ubaldo's head is at.  Keep being crazy, Ubbie, while the Tigers dominate the AL Central!!!

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 8:11am
^^^ from what I've seen of the Tiggers this year, I don't think you've got too much to worry about Ctoma -- aren't you supposed to be partying in breck right now ???

-b
get bent
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 8:49am

^^^ from what I've seen of the Tiggers this year, I don't think you've got too much to worry about Ctoma -- aren't you supposed to be partying in breck right now ???

-b

As long as they stay healthy the Tigers should have a good season.  I am cautiously optimistic, don't want to get too amped up for the upcoming season since many things can go wrong (for example see Detroit Red Wings 2011-12 season, to many injuries).

I'm leaving for Breck on Saturday, I hope the snow holds up.  My wife's cousin was there last week and said there are some brown patches.  We need a little help from Mother Nature, how about an Easter snowstorm?

rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 9:24am
Originally posted by ctoma

-b

As long as they stay healthy the Tigers should have a good season.  I am cautiously optimistic, don't want to get too amped up for the upcoming season since many things can go wrong (for example see Detroit Red Wings 2011-12 season, to many injuries).

I'm leaving for Breck on Saturday, I hope the snow holds up.  My wife's cousin was there last week and said there are some brown patches.  We need a little help from Mother Nature, how about an Easter snowstorm?

I haven't been up since Feb 14th.

Toronto is looking good in Spring Training...23-6...damn
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 9:53am
^ Personally I would love to see Toronto take the AL East.  Can't stand Boston and NY.  I have no ill feelings towards Tampa Bay but it's been a while since Toronto was competitive so I'm rooting for the Blue Jays.  Big Ears Bautista is awesome.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 10:01am
toronto will challenge for that added wild card spot-theyre not good enough to win the east yet. im ready for this season to start!
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
  Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 10:03am
I just checked for tickets to a SF Giants sunday game against the Rangers...$33 for the cheapest ticket...across the Bay...the A's have $2 tickets... $132 vs. $8 for one game for the cheapest tickets for a family of 4...are you kidding?
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 10:22am
Originally posted by lightning80

I just checked for tickets to a SF Giants sunday game against the Rangers...$33 for the cheapest ticket...across the Bay...the A's have $2 tickets... $132 vs. $8 for one game for the cheapest tickets for a family of 4...are you kidding?

There's a really good reason for that price difference, have you been to both stadiums? The worst seat in the Coliseum is barely worth $2, while bleacher seats at At&t are still pretty awesome. Add that to the setting of At&t on the water in SF and the fact that the Giants have actually made the playoff recently and you have your answer.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 10:30am
Originally posted by broys

There's a really good reason for that price difference, have you been to both stadiums? The worst seat in the Coliseum is barely worth $2, while bleacher seats at At&t are still pretty awesome. Add that to the setting of At&t on the water in SF and the fact that the Giants have actually made the playoff recently and you have your answer.

Hah opening day is pricey regardless where you go but shortly after they should be back to a fair price.

Rockies opening weekend, 8th row behind 1st base was $38
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 11:05am
Originally posted by broys

Never been to the Coliseum for a baseball game, only the Raiders. I've been to ATT Park several times, but haven't been since they won the WS because they no longer offered the Kid's Club where you could get 6 tickets for less than $50 (yes, I do take my kids, although adults probably bought it and didn't have kids). They were selling out games even before the WS year, so they didn't really need to do the Kid's Club back then either. But they took it away nonthless. So, I was just looking to get in a Rangers game this season and was blow away by the price difference between the two stadiums that are only an hour apart. I'm not sure if the difference in experience is worth that big of a price difference...afterall, I'm there to watch the game, not go down on a slide by the bay...
azngolfur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote azngolfur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 11:56am
Matt Cain, 5 years, 112.5 Mil.

There's a reason why Giants tickets are more expensive!
Lucky5 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Lucky5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 12:15pm
go cubbies
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 12:29pm
I went n sat in a time share seminar 2 weekends ago, and was rewarded with a trip (they always do). Of course i didnt buy anything, but a visit to San Diego is in the works. Girlfriend wants to visit the candle lamp district, and i wanna see a baseball game.. we all win! lol Gonna try to arrange it for the week(end) the Mariners are visiting. Would love to get some free shiz for bein an "away" fan!
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by azngolfur

And that was only half the size of the largest contract of the day.  The Votto deal is pretty crazy.  I wish I could have been a power hitting first baseman.  Those guys get paaaaid.
shing02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 11:00pm
HOPEFULLY cain doesn't choke like zito D;...
azngolfur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote azngolfur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 5:57am
Zito never really choked... he's just plain washed up now!
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 6:02am

Zito never really choked... he's just plain washed up now!

Zito tinkered with his release and could never get it back.

Votto should be arrested for grand theft. But he'll get off cuz they just gave him the money.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 6:33am
So I haven't seen any mention of Jamie Moyer! The relic is still a decade away from being the oldest pitcher ever to play in the majors (Satchel Paige, 59, 1965). However, If he racks himself up a win this season he'll be the oldest MLB pitcher ever to have done so!
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 6:44am
Originally posted by j_lucky84

So I haven't seen any mention of Jamie Moyer! The relic is still a decade away from being the oldest pitcher ever to play in the majors (Satchel Paige, 59, 1965). However, If he racks himself up a win this season he'll be the oldest MLB pitcher ever to have done so!

He's set to start game 2 of the Rockies series in Houston on Friday
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 8:20am
Originally posted by Geez

And that was only half the size of the largest contract of the day.  The Votto deal is pretty crazy.  I wish I could have been a power hitting first baseman.  Those guys get paaaaid.

Chicks dig home runs. The funny thing is that Votto probably could have gotten more in free agency this summer.

Glad the Giants locked down Cain, at least they understand that their pitching is their strength and Cain has been great the last 4-5 years.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 9:13am
It's weird that the season starts tomorrow..but it already started last week...Ermm
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 9:13am
Originally posted by rzero

yah! thats pretty exciting! I'm hoping to find a place to see that one. Any idea who the SP for Houston will be?
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 12:52pm

yah! thats pretty exciting! I'm hoping to find a place to see that one. Any idea who the SP for Houston will be?
That's awesome, Moyer is a true professional.  Beloved in Seattle and Philadelphia.  It is amazing he missed an entire season at age 48 and still decided to come back... and made the team.  You'll see -- he'll give the Rockies 20-25 starts, go 9-7 with 4.25 ERA and 110 innings.  Not bad.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 3:27pm
9-7 doesn't sound out of the realm of possibility. The rockies got a solid squad goin on and a weak division in which to play. :) Though i'd estimate his ERA closer to 4.5 or so. He doesn't have the arm for a 6+ inning outing, so any bad innings can add to the tally quick.
I was a huge fan of him when he was with the M's, and he continues to impress by outlasting the rest! Keep it up, Jamie!
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 8:17pm
The american league is gonna be really fun to watch this season-not so interested in whats goin on in the national other than maybe the nl west
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 6:14am
Never been much of an NL fan; however, watching pitchers take at bats is pretty interesting lol. I remember a few years ago when the M's were playing an inter-league game, and King Felix hit a homer and was his only run support for the game. Come to think of it, with their 3-4 year history of 2-ish runs per game, perhaps the M's should have moved to the NL lol.
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 6:14am
Rosters gonna ber announced today. If the giants keep belt, I hope they dont keep sending him back and forth to the majors/minors like last year.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 6:45am

Harrell it looks like
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 7:49am
That should be a good matchup. Harrell's been back and forth between majors and minors, and his 4.7 career MLB era should provide some opportunities to get Moyer a lead early.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 7:52am

That should be a good matchup. Harrell's been back and forth between majors and minors, and his 4.7 career MLB era should provide some opportunities to get Moyer a lead early.

I'm hoping they come home 3-0 for the opener here. Who knows though, Rockies bullpen is a big question mark... Nicasio is back from his broken neck...Chacin is still around and I know nothing about Guthrie
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 9:39am
For the Rockies fans, at least Tulo appears to be okay.  Jimenez is a baby.  I heard a great saying once: "Don't count other people's money."  I know he is upset about not getting a contract, but if you want a contract, PITCH BETTER.  Jimenez had an incredible half season and has been gawdawfulterrible since.  He could definitely turn it around, but the Rockies look smart by getting rid of him before they signed him to one of those ridiculous Carlos Zambrano-type deals.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 11:51am
Can't wait to see how the Jays do this season. Really optimistic that they compete for that wildcard spot this year. But the question mark still is on their rotation, mainly the bottom 3 starters. If they can keep up, maybe get McGowan back by end of April, then they got a solid chance.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 12:42pm

For the Rockies fans, at least Tulo appears to be okay.  Jimenez is a baby.  I heard a great saying once: "Don't count other people's money."  I know he is upset about not getting a contract, but if you want a contract, PITCH BETTER.  Jimenez had an incredible half season and has been gawdawfulterrible since.  He could definitely turn it around, but the Rockies look smart by getting rid of him before they signed him to one of those ridiculous Carlos Zambrano-type deals.

Completely agree...It took Tulo years to prove himself as a solid player. Now he is getting paid for it; Ubaldo had a great season then slid late...and nothing good since then.

Carlos Gonazlaz also had a breakout season but had a few injuries last year....really hoping he is back in form this year.
(like when he hit for the cycle on a walk off hr http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=10490435)

timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 6:02pm
those miami marlins uniforms are kinda growing on me. im usually not a supporter of teams that have won a championship changing their names/uniforms. still hard to believe the marlins have two world series titles
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 3:18am

[QUOTE=Geez]For the Rockies fans, at least Tulo appears to be okay.  Jimenez is a baby.  I heard a great saying once: "Don't count other people's money."  I know he is upset about not getting a contract, but if you want a contract, PITCH BETTER.  Jimenez had an incredible half season and has been gawdawfulterrible since.  He could definitely turn it around, but the Rockies look smart by getting rid of him before they signed him to one of those ridiculous Carlos Zambrano-type deals.

Completely agree...It took Tulo years to prove himself as a solid player. Now he is getting paid for it; Ubaldo had a great season then slid late...and nothing good since then.

Carlos Gonazlaz also had a breakout season but had a few injuries last year....really hoping he is back in form this year.
(like when he hit for the cycle on a walk off hr http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=10490435)[/QUOTE]

Sometimes guys just get hit.  Maybe Jimenez was just trying to pitch him inside.  Seems like this is all being blown out of proportion.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 4:41am
Originally posted by grapeape2669

[QUOTE=Geez]For the Rockies fans, at least Tulo appears to be okay.  Jimenez is a baby.  I heard a great saying once: "Don't count other people's money."  I know he is upset about not getting a contract, but if you want a contract, PITCH BETTER.  Jimenez had an incredible half season and has been gawdawfulterrible since.  He could definitely turn it around, but the Rockies look smart by getting rid of him before they signed him to one of those ridiculous Carlos Zambrano-type deals.

(like when he hit for the cycle on a walk off hr http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=10490435)[/QUOTE]

Sometimes guys just get hit.  Maybe Jimenez was just trying to pitch him inside.  Seems like this is all being blown out of proportion.
Typically I would agree with you, I think this stuff is usually blown out of proportion.  Plus I am old school, I think pitching inside is necessary and batters (and umpires) should not be so sensitive.  Having said that, Jimenez exit from CO was not very smooth and he gave an interview saying it was tough to be there after he saw Tulo and CarGo get extensions.  All signs point to an intentional plunking.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 9:01am

Typically I would agree with you, I think this stuff is usually blown out of proportion.  Plus I am old school, I think pitching inside is necessary and batters (and umpires) should not be so sensitive.  Having said that, Jimenez exit from CO was not very smooth and he gave an interview saying it was tough to be there after he saw Tulo and CarGo get extensions.  All signs point to an intentional plunking.

Agreed. Pitching inside keeps yourself from a lot of unnecessary walks, or getting hit all over the park. If you're a batter crowding the plate, expect some chin music, or back off.

Also, the 6...7...8 year contracts in any sport are just inane. There are way too many "what if"s in professional sports to warrant committing yourself to paying for a guy for 8 years when he may only have 2 in him. Additionally, in instances like where A-Rod was traded from TEX to NYY, the rangers were paying him to be their competition for like 4 years before the Yanks had to spend a dime. Shocked the Rangers were even able to be competitive so quickly after needlessly forking out cash like that.

Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 11:18am

Halladay is no mere mortal.  Halladay 8IP and Pap with the save.  The phils are going to struggle with scoring more that 3-4 runs per night.  Papelbon might get 60 saves this year because I smell a whole heckuvalot of 3-2 games.  That is, if he doesn't implode like Game 162, 2011.

ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 11:33am
F'ing Jose Valverde blows the save.  Verlander goes 8 innings, 7 Ks, 1 W, 2 hits... and Valverde blows it in the 9th.  Lucky the Tigers' hitters bailed him out.

Dammit, Verlander should be 1-0 right now.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 11:48am
Originally posted by ctoma

F'ing Jose Valverde blows the save.  Verlander goes 8 innings, 7 Ks, 1 W, 2 hits... and Valverde blows it in the 9th.  Lucky the Tigers' hitters bailed him out.

Dammit, Verlander should be 1-0 right now.

Haha complaining about stats on April 5.  the tribe will be glad to count some wins whether our starters get them or not!

-b

P.S.  now that the Tribe's closer just blew a lead I'm also pissed because Justin Masterson should be 1-0 . . . . DAMMIT
get bent
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 2:14pm
That was a shame to blow that win for verlander-he was really, really good today.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 4:46pm
Nothing like a 16 inning game to kickoff the season for the Jays. Jays bats bailed out the shitty pitching. Hope they clean things up a bit when Bostons in town.
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 3:21am

Originally posted by grapeape2669

So you're old school, yet you are basing a pitcher's motives for pitching a guy inside on what amounts to a tabloid soap opera?  People are gonna get hit.  The Rockies need to suck it up. 
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 5:56am
Seems like you missed the beginning of the post where I said, "typically I would agree with you, I think this stuff is usually blow out of proportion."  I have no problem with pitching inside.   Considering the back story, it seemed fishy.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 10:12am
Pujols is definitely gonna hit one out tonight in his angels debut
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 11:13am
I was really quite shocked when that trade happened. He kinda had it made in STL! But the Angels definitely needed something to get back in the AL West running, and he if anyone would be the man to do it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 85>