Official 2014 MLB Season

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 4950515253 86>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official 2014 MLB Season
    Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 8:01pm
I know it is wayyyy early, but Hamilton and Pujols are a combined 0-15 in their first two games.  That's only, you know, $50 million dollars per year.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 9:11pm
A's looking good tonight. Good pitching and at bats. Beat Seattle with ease. Woohoo. Lets go A's.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 5:13am
Really didn't want to start the season losing two to three to the Giants..arghh .  If they do not take 2 of 3 from Pirates watch the pressure start to mount already...
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 5:59am
Damn, jays 0-2 isn't a great start especially against the tribe.
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 6:43am
Originally posted by Geez

I know it is wayyyy early, but Hamilton and Pujols are a combined 0-15 in their first two games.  That's only, you know, $50 million dollars per year.

You are right, it is wayyyy to early.
Jaydoc08 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jaydoc08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 7:34am
It looks like Doc is done, crazy how quick some guys can lose it.
xxbeachbum0804xx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote xxbeachbum0804xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 9:14am
i hope the yankees at least win 80 games this year. not looking to good as of right now
cheemaster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote cheemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Jaydoc08

It looks like Doc is done, crazy how quick some guys can lose it.

like the other guys said up there, its way too early to say hes "done". but he has lost it for now, kinda sad to see it happen like that but its the same way for timmy.
although timmy pitched a "solid" game, he had spurts of good pitching but gave up 7 walks to the dodgers. I hope he takes this game and just improves and gets to a respectable starter. Need me some timmy
chenmt View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chenmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 10:42am
I wouldn't be so quick to say doc is done. He was throwing strikes and he did face a loaded Atlanta lineup
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 11:23am
^ I am a Phils fan, so I hope he still has something left.  But he lost velocity last year, and now it is creeping back up, but he has lost his command.  He's been throwing a ton of off-speed stuff for the past year (including spring training), and it looks like he is trying to avoid throwing his fastball at all costs.  He still struck guys outs last night, but when they put it in play, they hammered it.
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 12:55pm
I think Timmy will be okay. If not I wouldn't mind seeing him pitch out of the bullpen like he did in the WS.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 12:56pm
I think Timmy will be okay. If not I wouldn't mind seeing him pitch out of the bullpen like he did in the WS.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2013 at 4:32am

Lee was dealing last night for the Phils.  Didn't get his first win until July 4th last year.  Hope it is a sign of better days.

solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2013 at 5:18am
Giants back in town for the first home game. Zito on the mound and Championship banner being raised. Fun day at the park. If only I could afford overpriced tickets.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2013 at 6:53am
Finally a win for the Jays last night and they avoided the sweep. Longball came alive for the blues but may have lost Bautista for a couple games with a sprained ankle. Next up, Bosox and their bastard coach Farrell.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote cheemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2013 at 2:39pm
Zito pitching strong! Giant's starters still have yet to yield an earned run. slow offense today, but that's just the way we like it. 1-0 win
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2013 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by cheemaster

Zito pitching strong! Giant's starters still have yet to yield an earned run. slow offense today, but that's just the way we like it. 1-0 win

Zito with 7 shut out innings and romo with his 3rd save. Off to a good start.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 5:59am
Originally posted by Von44

Are you saying the Astros are the new Al west punching bag? Im feeling generous today so I'll give them 30 wins this season tops.
I retract my statement. Geez is right, Astros won't be winning a game this year. lol
Jaydoc08 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jaydoc08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 6:04am
Chris Davis is killing it now. I'm glad i'm not going against the guy who as him in fantasy.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 6:21am
Originally posted by Jaydoc08

Chris Davis is killing it now. I'm glad i'm not going against the guy who as him in fantasy.
Oh yeah, I got the big boss man on my fantasy team. Too bad he's the only one doing f*** all.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 6:25am
Chris Davis was supposed to be the next big think like 4 years ago.  Nice to see him putting it together last year.  He gives Justin Smoak hope.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 9:11am
I am surprised more teams aren't tanking it right now to get a higher draft potential.  It looks like the Blazers are doing their best to lose.  Why is everyone else trying to win at this point?
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 9:17am
Originally posted by LeerroooyJenkins

I am surprised more teams aren't tanking it right now to get a higher draft potential.  It looks like the Blazers are doing their best to lose.  Why is everyone else trying to win at this point?

I was supposed to pose the above question in the NBA thread, sorry about that.  

The question I wanted to pose here is about my beloved cubs.  The talk has been to renovate or to build a new stadium.  It looks like the plan is going forward: http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/9139426/chicago-cubs-city-chicago-close-wrigley-field-renovation-deal-according-report  

In my ideal world, they would never change (except for winning).  I think the apartments with rooftops seats agree http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/15875/rooftop-owners-balk-at-wrigley-plan-report
chenmt View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chenmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2013 at 10:03pm
That's awesome. Never knew about the Wrigleyville rooftops. Don't think there will ever be a new stadium. Like Fenway park, the place has too much history to be replaced. Nevertheless, I'm a fan of new stadiums. Better seats, no obstructed views (unless you're in ny), concessions, traffic, jumbotrons. Also living in Boston you'll grow to hate the red Sox if you ever take public transportation between May and September
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2013 at 3:41pm
I think the renovations are happening because, while Wrigley is still awesome for the fans, it is not an ideal place for players.  Apparently the locker rooms are cramped and the training facilities are not great.  While the fans show up and have a great time for 3-4 hours, the players show up to work there every day and probably do not care much about nostalgia.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2013 at 5:12pm

13-0 Bosox? Dickey is getting rocked so far in his last two starts. This guy better get things turned around quick.

xxbeachbum0804xx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote xxbeachbum0804xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 3:29am
hoping to see Kuroda's finger isn't too banged up today in Cleveland.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 3:56am
I got all settled in to watch Darvish v. Weaver last night and then Yu has to come out with a blister and Weaver injures his non-throwing arm (in his defense, it was either that or get hit by a come-backer).  Don't think either was too serious, so hopefully they are back soon.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 5:51am
Seems like many of the top starters got knocked around. Cain, Hamels, Dickey, Strausburg. Sucks cuz I've got 2 of the 4 on my fantasy team.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 5:08pm
Doc got hit hard again.... you want to hold out hope and give him the benefit of the doubt because of his track record, but he hasn't looked right since 2011.  
Instructor
Instructor

Quote cheemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 8:21pm

Doc got hit hard again.... you want to hold out hope and give him the benefit of the doubt because of his track record, but he hasn't looked right since 2011.  

Yeah... just because he's doc i hope he gets his stuff together, but he definitely isn't looking good with two very poor outings. Still lots of ball to be played though

Giants though, PENCE doing it big. Bum not doing his best work today but good enough to get the win with pence staying hot. Along with that, right when i was saying posey was stuck in a slump, he puts a nice opposite field rbi single in the 8th. Hope that gets him back in the groove. Romo just lights out, though he started with a hit, still struck out the side, though helton's last pitch was a bit questionable, i'll take it
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 5:54am

I think the renovations are happening because, while Wrigley is still awesome for the fans, it is not an ideal place for players.  Apparently the locker rooms are cramped and the training facilities are not great.  While the fans show up and have a great time for 3-4 hours, the players show up to work there every day and probably do not care much about nostalgia.

In addition to that, Wrigley isn't good for fans that want to pay a lot.  It is great for me where I like the old-timey aesthetics, cheapseats and looking at the ivy wall.  But having more tickets available by having more seats, having less obstructed and partial views, and being able to sell skybox and luxury suite tickets would be better for the organization and therefore eventually better for the fans.

Jaydoc08 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jaydoc08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 8:33am
Weaver broke his elbow. Out 4-6 weeks.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 9:35am
^that flush you hear is the sound of my fantasy team going down the toilet.  Maybe when he comes back he won't be throwing Moyer speed.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 7:49pm
Same, he was one of the anchors to my pitching staff. Just gotta make due with what's left and pray things turn out well.
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 8:02pm
Nice come back by the giants. Hold that lead!
twolf123 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote twolf123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by solocreep

looks like the same issues are plaguing timmy this time around...and sadly, i do not have the patience for him this year :/
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 8:52pm
Timmy is still a young guy. He's got plenty of time to correct the problem. However, Doc is at the end of the line. Poor guy, hate to see him go out like that after what he's accomplished over his career.

On a side note, Miggy finally belts his first homer. And of course it's against my Jays.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote cheemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by twolf123

looks like the same issues are plaguing timmy this time around...and sadly, i do not have the patience for him this year :/

I think i'll always have patience for timmy, but that comeback was AWESOME. right off the bat i didn't think crawford's was going out but it just kept backspinning all the way out. and bullpen just getting it done, romo is killing it. either way a GREAT comeback win to get timmy off the hook
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2013 at 10:55am
Was weird seeing Cain get lit up like that the other day.  That doesn't happen usually.  it's early, so the occasional stinker is nothing to get worked up about.
Jaydoc08 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Jaydoc08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2013 at 11:35am

Was weird seeing Cain get lit up like that the other day.  That doesn't happen usually.  it's early, so the occasional stinker is nothing to get worked up about.

Cain is pretty consistent he'll bounce back, I think bumgarner might be their best pitcher. Pretty crazy he's only 23 and still one of the best in the league.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2013 at 11:48am
Blah. Mariners got lit the (@$&* up last night... and by Houston nonetheless.  Maybe the league/division change was good for em lol
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2013 at 2:43pm
Rangers got shut out by the Rays today...Cry
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2013 at 2:52pm
Rockies were shut out 10-0 by SF... but still are 1 game above .500.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote cheemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2013 at 5:06pm
Zito is just pitching great. contributed on the mound and from the plate today. So glad Posey and belt did well today, two really important guys that need to get it going and did just that
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2013 at 8:33pm
8 of 13 games today had a team scoring 8+ runs.. Lovin the offensive production. I'm not a huge homerun junkie, but it makes it seem like no-hitters may be a little harder to come by this season! 2012 made em almost seem commonplace!
And yet again, the Moroners give up big numbers to Houston (one of the 8 games mentioned above). It is kinda funny that they seem to be the only team in the MLB who can't manage to score runs at Safeco LOL
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 5:12am
Zito is such a stud early season. Hope he keeps it up all year
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 11:52am
Just heard about chitown's Tom Ricketts receiving a goats head in a box. Some sick ppl all cuz the guy wants to Reno Wrigley field.
twolf123 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote twolf123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 10:16pm

Zito is such a stud early season. Hope he keeps it up all year

he was a life saving stud post season too...lets just hope he keeps this up ALL THE WAY through to the rest of his contract...and maybe more ;)
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2013 at 3:30am
Zack Greinke breaks his collarbone when Carlos Quentin rushed the mound after getting hit by a pitch.  Sounds like Quentin was thinking about the previous 2 times Greinke hit him with a pitch (when they were with the White Sox and Royals).  If Quentin had a brain he would have realized Greinke was not trying to hit him - the score was 2-1 and the pitch count was 3-2.  Getting hit by a pitch is nothing new for Quentin, he led the major leagues the past 2 seasons in that stat category.

Matt Kemp confronted Quentin in the hallway after the game and the 2 had to be separated by security and police.

This should stoke the rivalry fire between the 2 teams.  Wonder how many batters are going to get plunked the next time the teams play (Monday, on Jackie Robinson Day).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 86>