Official 2014 MLB Season

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 6162636465 82>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official 2014 MLB Season
    Posted: Jul/19/2013 at 6:12am
I am shocked Garza has not been traded yet.  I know the Cubs are holding out hope that someone will give up a Zach Wheeler-type talent, but the price must be super high right now if no team has pulled the trigger.  He's not elite, but he can be a quality addition to a contender.
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2013 at 10:16am
I think the Cubs can hold the price high, because right now they have many interested teams who needs to extra pitcher to strengthen them for contention.  And if he doesn't pull in what they want, they can extend with him and it won't matter because they aren't going to win this season anyway.  You can't give him away for anything less than the max he is worth.  Cubs are lucky to have him as a bargaining chip and it looks like Theo is playing it right (so far).
jstgermain View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jstgermain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2013 at 12:13pm
They announced Garza will be traded...hopefully they get some young talent.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2013 at 6:15am
Phils broke out the whooping stick last night.... aaaaaand then they gave up 8 runs to make it a fairly close game.  Either way, good to see the bats come out right out of the break.  Facing Wheeler and Harvey the next two games, then 6 against StL and Det.  Pivotal week.
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2013 at 11:28am
the Chad did good. way to start off the 2nd half of the season.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2013 at 7:25am
Weird game last night in Houston:  Bedard takes himself out of his own no-hitter, Seattle scored two runs on passed ball / sac fly, and team with 1 hit wins 4-2.  
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2013 at 2:38pm
Seems like the jays are still on break after being swept by Tampa. 
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2013 at 5:12am
To be fair, Tampa has been on fire the past month.  I think their record is something like 20-4 and their team ERA is 2.18.
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2013 at 5:35am
giants didn't get the sweep, but so far, so good in the second half.
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2013 at 10:36am
Rockies return from the All Star break by taking 2 of 3 from the Cubbies and now move on to a 4 game series against the lowly Miami Marlins.  Time to make up some ground, only 3.5 games behind Arizona.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2013 at 11:37am
Catching the Jays/Dodgers game tonight. Get to see Ryu on the mound.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2013 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Geez

To be fair, Tampa has been on fire the past month.  I think their record is something like 20-4 and their team ERA is 2.18.
That's a crazy month. But it's also a shame that they have no fans in Tampa. If they make the playoffs, you can be sure all the bandwagons fans to show up in full force.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2013 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Von44

That's a crazy month. But it's also a shame that they have no fans in Tampa. If they make the playoffs, you can be sure all the bandwagons fans to show up in full force.

Don't blame the fans!  Oh wait, yeah...definitely blame the fans.  The Rays brought a good franchise to that part of Florida and it seems like they don't care.  

Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2013 at 2:51pm
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2013 at 5:41pm
^ That's big, suspended for the rest of the season although his numbers this season aren't quite as good as 2011 when he won MVP (and taking PEDs?).  

Who's next, Nelson Cruz?  Logically A-Rod would be next but he re-injured himself.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2013 at 6:32pm
An absolute schlacking by the Dodgers! Its been a while since Ive been to a Jays game where they got beat that badly. Also didn't help with the 5 errors by the Jays.

Also, can't believe TB is just a half game back of Boston for the div lead.
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2013 at 3:17am
after timmys no hitter performance last game, he goes and gives up a bunch o runs early. 8 days rest and the guys arm might still be tired. 148 pitch, no hitter still worth it.
Grinch View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2013 at 4:24am
Braun is suspended and I live in Wisconsin so now I get to hear everyone cry about it....FML!
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2013 at 4:47am
A lot of stuff going on.  Braun clearly cut a deal based on what they had on him.  I hear the A-Rod revelations are going to be way worse.  The other guys:  Gio, Nelson Cruz, etc... it's going to affect pennant races and future salaries (Braun and A-Rod are set for life regardless).

Oh, and Matt Garza got traded.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2013 at 5:17am
Dodgers take over first after going on a run of 23 of 27.  Kemp hurt again right as he is heating up...if he hits this team is really dangerous.

Man so tired of players like Braun...but ultimately the guy has 120 million guaranteed and the Brewers have no idea what they paid for. They need to step the ban up to 2 years for first time offenders and life after that or just go straight to life time ban or this will never end.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2013 at 5:28am

A lot of stuff going on.  Braun clearly cut a deal based on what they had on him.  I hear the A-Rod revelations are going to be way worse.  The other guys:  Gio, Nelson Cruz, etc... it's going to affect pennant races and future salaries (Braun and A-Rod are set for life regardless).

Oh, and Matt Garza got traded.
Yep, Braun is gonna have a tough time not getting the remaining 3 million from his 8.5 million salary. How is he supposed to survive on a mere 5.5 million for the rest of the year? I think the way Braun went about professing his innocence is worse than the actual offense of using ped's. He should've gotten a longer suspension and be stripped of his mvp award. Things would've been different had he come out from the start and admitted to using. Now he's become the Lance Armstrong of mlb.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2013 at 5:32am
Originally posted by shwazy

Dodgers take over first after going on a run of 23 of 27.  Kemp hurt again right as he is heating up...if he hits this team is really dangerous.
Dodgers should've been in first from the beginning of the year with that payroll. They're just making up for their underachieving first half really.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2013 at 6:38am

Dodgers should've been in first from the beginning of the year with that payroll. They're just making up for their underachieving first half really.

Hard to achieve when Greinke, Ramirez, Kemp, Crawford, Billingsley, Beckett all get hurt...they are now fairly healthy and producing and replaced Billingsley with Nolasco...from my perspective it was more a matter of health than anything...they lead the majors in dl stints so it is good to see they never quit and have fought there way back to relevance...yes all teams suffer injuries but the injuries were on the extreme side...but yes they should be in first
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jstgermain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2013 at 10:43am
Garza, now Soriano leaving...time to get lean and mean.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2013 at 7:21pm
Another embarrassing loss by the jays. Bullpen just couldn't hold a measly 5 run lead.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2013 at 5:38am
Phils stumbling out of the gate after the break.  3 straight losses and now 5 more against StL and Detroit.  Not a good time to be playing bad baseball.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2013 at 5:40am

Another embarrassing loss by the jays. Bullpen just couldn't hold a measly 5 run lead.
that was an impressive comeback as a dodger fan.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2013 at 7:57am
It's tough being a Rockies fan.  Just a few days ago they were 3.5 games back with a 4 game series against the shitty Marlins (2nd worst winning % in the MLB).  What happens?  Rockies drop the first two games of the series.  C'mon, the Marlins are a minor league team!
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2013 at 8:16am

As a dodgers fan, you can thank Darren Oliver for those hittable pitches!
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2013 at 8:20am
Originally posted by sideways99

It's tough being a Rockies fan.  Just a few days ago they were 3.5 games back with a 4 game series against the shitty Marlins (2nd worst winning % in the MLB).  What happens?  Rockies drop the first two games of the series.  C'mon, the Marlins are a minor league team!
At least the Rockies have 8 wins more than the Marlins. My Jays have flat out quit on the season. And btw, yes the Marlins are a minor league team, pretty much made up of Jays prospects.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2013 at 8:32am
Seriously, i thought the Jays were going to be worth a hoot this year.  That could have been a neat 5 team race.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2013 at 8:41am
Originally posted by JDiggidy

Seriously, i thought the Jays were going to be worth a hoot this year.  That could have been a neat 5 team race.
I think I may have to buy that Tampa jersey soon and ditch this team. Really hope some trades are made before the deadline. The situation up here is getting messy. After that monday night loss, I'm not putting any more money into games until somethings change.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2013 at 11:10am
Originally posted by jstgermain

Or at least time to take an honest attempt at rebuilding.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2013 at 12:34pm
The Rangers could really use the help from Matt Garza with so many injuries to their starting rotation.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2013 at 2:01pm
I think it was a really good pickup for Rangers.  Read a good article on how Rangers make their teams with deadline pickups.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2013 at 5:17am

Tough incident for Tim Hudson.  He's been a very good pitcher for a long time.  Hope he makes a full recovery.  If he was not wearing long pants, it would have been pretty gruesome (it was pretty gruesome as is).

Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2013 at 6:36am

Tough incident for Tim Hudson.  He's been a very good pitcher for a long time.  Hope he makes a full recovery.  If he was not wearing long pants, it would have been pretty gruesome (it was pretty gruesome as is).

Guy is tough. I was sure that his leg was gonna snap in two. Hope it's not career ending as well.

Originally posted by LeerroooyJenkins

i can't see Theo having that kind of patience to rebuild. He'll prolly make a splash in the FA this offseason.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2013 at 7:22am

I think it was a really good pickup for Rangers.  Read a good article on how Rangers make their teams with deadline pickups.

Yup, Garza just pitched a 3-1 win over the Yankees last night for the Rangers. Time to catch up to the A's!

On another note, I'm surprised that MLB player contracts don't have a clause that they wouldn't get paid if they're suspended by the league. Ryan Braun won't play for the rest of the season but he'll still get paid for sitting at home.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2013 at 7:33am
Originally posted by lightning80

Yup, Garza just pitched a 3-1 win over the Yankees last night for the Rangers. Time to catch up to the A's!

On another note, I'm surprised that MLB player contracts don't have a clause that they wouldn't get paid if they're suspended by the league. Ryan Braun won't play for the rest of the season but he'll still get paid for sitting at home.
What are you talking about? This 65-game suspension will cost Braun just under $4 million in salary.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2013 at 7:39am
^ My bad, I was under the impression that he would still get paid Dead
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2013 at 8:17am
De La Rosa stops the bleeding (for now) for the Rockies, going 6 and not giving up any runs.  Colorado finally beats the minor league Marlins.  Game 4 tonight, Nicasio needs to shut 'em down.  Still 5 games back of division leading Dodgers.
Spenser W. View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Spenser W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2013 at 9:16am

Such a gruesome injury.  I watched it in slow-mo like 10 times.   Young was super upset about it, I thought it was cool how supportive he was of him and how he acted how a normal person should act when accidentally hurting someone else.  Looked like he was actually crying after they took him off the field, definitely have never seen that before.

As a collateral matter, Hudson was on my fantasy team and has been throwing the ball pretty well...damnit! 
2011 159 YES Typo II
2010 Triads
2011 Impreza
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2013 at 9:45am
Something the Dodgers are doing right:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/chompions/201307/see-it-new-frozen-beer-foam-keeps-brews-cold

Pretty cool (no pun intended) idea.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2013 at 11:05am

Guy is tough. I was sure that his leg was gonna snap in two. Hope it's not career ending as well.

i can't see Theo having that kind of patience to rebuild. He'll prolly make a splash in the FA this offseason.

That is what I thought a few years ago when they picked Theo up.  But he has done NOTHING until now, so apparently his patience is there.  It's just time to see what his plan is.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jstgermain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2013 at 12:49pm
Tough break Huddy...I had a similar injury and can't imagine coming back from that at his age.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2013 at 3:33pm

As a dodgers fan, you can thank Darren Oliver for those hittable pitches!
well they racked up 60 hits in 4 games so either the Blue Jays pitching is really bad or it had nothing to do with the Blue Jays
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2013 at 6:03am
Originally posted by solocreep

giants host the d backs tonight. 6.5 games back, hopefully some rest did them some good. we don't have to win the division, cuz that wild card rule.

three teams out of the central are going to the playoffs...only hope is to win the division...their run differential tells you that is almost a pipe dream at this point.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2013 at 6:19am
Soriano is a yankee again.

I hope this pitcher the cubs got works out.  I read that he might be no more than a long reliever.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2013 at 8:28am
The Rangers are in desperate need for a bat or two. Lance Berkman's hip injury might cause him to retire. Team's leader in HR and RBI Nelson Cruz will probably be suspended 50 games in connection to Biogenesis. Landing Alex Rios and/or Howard Pence in trades will really help the Rangers stay in the playoffs hunt. A's losing more games would help too Big smile.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2013 at 8:32am
^ They have Manny Ramirez hitting a healthy .250 (/sarcasm) for the Round Rock Express, the Rangers' Triple A affiliate.  Bring up Manny!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6162636465 82>