Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <123>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THE WAX THREAD!!!
    Posted: Jul/19/2012 at 9:45am
Originally posted by jordanwells

does anyone remember that kid selling whacks wax?

Considering that he hasn't been posting in his sell thread in a long time, I would assume he ran out or too many people complained at his slow paced shipping.  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2012 at 8:46am
I'm gonna start waxing my own boards this season.  I just took my two plus my wife's board to the shop and that shiz is getting expensive.  I'm going to get a Walmart iron and some wax and just have at it.

It sucks that the original vid doesn't work.  I've watched the other one in the thread about a hundred times and I keep forgetting to listen to what she actually says.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2012 at 8:55am
Welcome to the club man.  I think waxing and repairing your own ride gives you more ownership in it too.  Gives you those warm fuzzies.

I still use an old clothes iron I got for $2 at a church rummage sale nearly a decade ago.  Needless to say, it waxes boards and nothing else.  I know I know, you're not supposed to use a clothes iron, but it seems to work just fine for me. you just have to keep the iron moving the entire time.

A gummy stone, file (or edging tool), and a sharp scraper are key.

May I sugest Hertel's Super Hot Sauce wax as well.  I got some last year, and it is awesome on the snow.  For some reason, i feel it was harder to scrape than other waxes, but the performance was worth every minute of upkeep.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2012 at 8:09am
Hey I just got my board waxed and tuned at a local shop. I am wondering how do I know if they did a good job cause I really don't see much of an improvement by looking at it. Theres even some dirt left from last season. 

Is this right? should I complain? 
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2012 at 9:15am
sintered or extruded?   shouldnt be dirt left on or in the base.  swipe the surface of your fingernail across the edge lightly.   If edges are newly sharpened correctly there should be friction & resistance.  Should feel like the edge is actually cutting off a thin layer of fingernail
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2012 at 9:29am
I was gonna wax mine by hand this year but my shop has a card for free waxes with every board purchase so I'm just gonna take it there all the time as long as they do a good enough job.
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2012 at 9:56am
Originally posted by sixpoint

sintered or extruded?   shouldnt be dirt left on or in the base.  swipe the surface of your fingernail across the edge lightly.   If edges are newly sharpened correctly there should be friction & resistance.  Should feel like the edge is actually cutting off a thin layer of fingernail

Its a sintered base. Yeah there is some dirt leftover on and in haha. 
I dragged my fingernail across and there was some friction going on. I told them not to sharpen it much cause I ride rails. But told them to get the nicks and burrs out. 
There is also still some scrapes and scratches on the base.

Should I go back and complain? 

This is my first time doing this. Ive had two board in the past and never done it before. Didn't really feel it was that necessary cause I'm on rails the whole time and don't do jumps often.

Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2012 at 7:51am
Originally posted by JDiggidy

Welcome to the club man.  I think waxing and repairing your own ride gives you more ownership in it too.  Gives you those warm fuzzies.

Definitely true.  I got all my stuff and set it up this weekend.  I waxed my old beater first, just in case anything went horribly wrong.  It was actually a lot easier than I expected.  Did Mrs. Cooperla's board next, again in case it got ruined somehow!

$10 iron from Target
$15 for wax and a scraper from REI
$2 brush from Home Depot.

And i bought some grippy rubber door stoppers to hold the board in place (instead of clamps).  Kinda MacGyvered the whole setup but it works great.
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2012 at 7:54am
Here's the setup

JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 8:54am
Nice work man, the door stopper is an especially great idea.

Don't forget to loosen (or remove) the binding screws before you put heat to the deck. (hard to tell in the pic)

Honestly, as long as you keep the iron moving, don't smoke your wax, and scrape scrape scrape... it's a pretty easy process. Especially when Mrs. Cooperla's board is at stake. :)
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 7:56am
Thanks. I took the bindings off to wax them, that's the wife's board after I put them back on.

Need some snow so I can go evaluate my work!
kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kyle521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 8:04am
what kind of brush do you guys use?
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 8:21am
The one I have is just a stiff plastic scrub brush
nieve5552 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote nieve5552 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2012 at 1:32pm
Awesome post derbytownjoe, this really helped!
AndrewCoxx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AndrewCoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 4:43pm
So i want to get myself set up to wax my own board this season... what would you suggest would be the best CHEAP hot wax to get? And how much would be enough to last a season?
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by AndrewCoxx

So i want to get myself set up to wax my own board this season... what would you suggest would be the best CHEAP hot wax to get? And how much would be enough to last a season?

I like the Dakine Nitrous cake Wax All temp. For $10 you can get 180g which is plenty to last the season, assuming you're waxing every 5 or so trips.
jcarlo View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jcarlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 8:06pm
So are regular flat iron (for clothes) alright to use to wax a snowboard?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by jcarlo

As long as it doesn't have holes in it, it's perfect.
gsoccer04 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote gsoccer04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by CassinoNorth

Originally posted by jcarlo

As long as it doesn't have holes in it, it's perfect.

You can use one with the steam holes in it as well.... Just use it on a low enough heat to melt the wax and not burn it. And just keep it somewhat clean if it does get any build up around the ports. No need for a $50 wax iron when a $3 thrift store iron will work just as well.
koyota93 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koyota93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by AndrewCoxx

Hertel hot sauce. It's on amazon and qualifies for their free shipping over $25. I just ordered the 3/4 lbs brick for $21. 
sourgummies View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sourgummies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2012 at 9:51pm
it's a bit messy but very rewarding to do yourself. and you can notice the difference.
mike-de-tacoma View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote mike-de-tacoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2012 at 7:36pm
Nice photo of your setup, Cooperla. Kudos.
Originally posted by gsoccer04

[...]
You can use one with the steam holes in it as well.... Just use it on a low enough heat to melt the wax and not burn it. And just keep it somewhat clean if it does get any build up around the ports. No need for a $50 wax iron when a $3 thrift store iron will work just as well.

I use a folding travel iron -- no holes for steam -- that I got for $1 at a thrift store. It just doesn't work as well as my buddy's waxing iron, that he got on sale for $20 or something like that. The rounded bottom edges of his iron float right onto the wax drips, and get them flat and spread out quickly. With my $1 travel iron, the edge crashes into the wax drips. I have to tilt the iron a little to get onto the drips, and getting a nice even coat takes noticeably longer. The iron I have works for now, but I'll be watching for end-of-season sales on waxing irons made by Swix etc.
Opinions I express are my own, and have nothing to do with my employers.
patman765 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Backyard Parks= way to go

Quote patman765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2012 at 6:01am
I'm starting to wax my board now and I've been using just a basic old beat up iron. But for Christmas I think i'm gonna pick up the Dakine Super Tune Kit just so i have it all. Does anyone have anything good to say about it? The reviews are somewhat neutral so I was just trying to see if anyone here had tried it?
Thanks.
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote coolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2012 at 6:08am
^l have that too, its fine, just be sure to hold your wire so it doesnt melt. i actually dont use the bag it comes it, i find it hard to put back in unless l get the wax off properly
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 11:05am
Just got Hertel's wax in the mail, first day using the waxed board will be tomorrow, let's see how good it is.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by patman765

I'm starting to wax my board now and I've been using just a basic old beat up iron. But for Christmas I think i'm gonna pick up the Dakine Super Tune Kit just so i have it all. Does anyone have anything good to say about it? The reviews are somewhat neutral so I was just trying to see if anyone here had tried it?
Thanks.

I have it, it's decent. But get a better scraper than the one that comes with dakine. Gets dull really quick.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by patman765

Thanks.

I use whatever it comes with except for the wax, I use swix instead.  I got the dakine because I found it on sale for really cheap.  It gets the job done.  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
OscarDaGrouch View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote OscarDaGrouch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 5:38pm
this is a great collection of info!!!!
will def make use of it this winter!!!!
Jibmonkey View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Jibmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2013 at 4:05pm
what is everybody's opinion on using all temp in comparision to say cold temp / spring(warm) temp wax? Noticeable differences? Not too sure if there are enough hardcore waxers here
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2013 at 4:24pm
me personally, l dont see much of a difference. l now just use all temp wax 
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/JennyLi
cds4288 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cds4288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2013 at 4:35pm
is it the best idea to use lib tech's wax on their boards, or is there a better all around wax I should use?
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote coolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2013 at 4:37pm
l think its just a marketing scheme to be honest. Just use any wax and it will have same effect 
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2013 at 5:46pm
different waxes do different things (i.e.- are better for different snow conditions), but unless you're a hard core racer or on a pro level you probably won't notice a huge difference between different waxes.  I can't remember what type of wax I use on my hot wax jobs, but when it comes to rub on I've been using a swix universal for years and I have no complaints.  As long as you wax your board (and it doesn't have to be lib tech wax) you should be good to go.  It's about protecting the base and keeping your p-tex nice and moist. 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2013 at 5:55pm
brand VS brand doesn't matter.  for the most part it's just the same paraffin waxes, and the additives used are usually the same too, depending which type of wax it is.  there are only a couple examples where the formulas actually differ, like hertel's hot sauce.  that's not to say there is a performance difference, but we're just talking formulas here.

in short, warmer wax is softer, as it works better with wet conditions and the snow crystals present during said conditions.  colder wax is harder, as colder snow crystals are more abrasive, so a harder wax stands up to that better.  as far as additives, fluorocarbon is a common one for warmer waxes, as it is a hydrophobic chemical and can enhance performance when there's more moisture in the snow.  there are other common additives that are pretty much standard across the board as well.

when it comes down to it, brands don't matter, and getting too into which wax you're using is kind of pointless unless you're a hardcore racer that needs to shave every millisecond off your race time.

if you are a normal person that just goes and snowboards and you don't want to think about it much, get a normal all-temp.  if you want something all temp that may be even more well rounded, try something like OBJ black magic, which has graphite.  what I've heard is that graphite helps bead water better in wet conditions, and reduces static drag in colder/dryer conditions.  and then if you do like to get a little more specific, just get any temp-specific wax that fits the given conditions.  outside of that, it's 99% over-thought by all snowboarders and skiers.  the important part is that your board is waxed in general.
525polaris10 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote 525polaris10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2013 at 6:14am
there is too much to look through but this is definetly the best video i have seen for waxing a board. this guy is a pro. just like the video says no annoying kid or music. this guy is top notch. please take this down if it is already posted. thanks,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxa_GHMHQrY
joemac84 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote joemac84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2013 at 7:21am
What do you guys reccomend for sharpening scrapers at home?
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote coolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2013 at 7:33am
l use a file and lay my scraper flat on top of it 
DiRtDeViL View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DiRtDeViL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2013 at 12:01pm
Quick question, after having my board hot waxed at the shop is it good practice to cold wax it after a day of riding or I'm just wasting my time?
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2013 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by DiRtDeViL

Quick question, after having my board hot waxed at the shop is it good practice to cold wax it after a day of riding or I'm just wasting my time?

whats cold waxing
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/JennyLi
anna.chan18 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote anna.chan18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2013 at 1:06pm
rub on wax?
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote coolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2013 at 3:19pm
if you really meant rub on wax, l say no need, just hot wax every 3-5 days 
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote coolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2013 at 3:20pm
if you really meant rub on wax, l say no need, just hot wax every 3-5 days 
DiRtDeViL View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DiRtDeViL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 4:19am
I meant rub on wax, so if I could hot wax every 3 to 5 rides there's no need to rub any wax between runs; cool.
nifeblade View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote nifeblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2013 at 10:49am
do shops let you bring your own wax when you want your gear waxed? and if they do do they give you a discount for bringing your own wax?
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2013 at 11:40am
You won't get a discount, but you will get laughed at. No offense (because you haven't actually done it), but a shop would think you were a dill-rod for bringing in your own wax.  It's bad enough you're paying someone 15 bucks a pop to wax your board, but to go out and buy wax that you think might be better than what the shop uses is pretty douchy.  If you're gonna buy wax, then buy an iron and scraper and start doing it yourself

ameration View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote ameration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2013 at 9:14am
I just bought the last few items I need to do it myself too. My buddy has been using the SVST Ultra wax on mine when he's done my boards in the past.
ameration View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote ameration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2013 at 11:23am
So I just got all my stuff to start hot waxing my boards and the place I got some of the stuff from gave me a small container of the Dakine Afterburner Paste Wax. There are no directions on the container but I am guessing that it is pretty much just a rub it on and then wipe off touch-up, quick fix wax, right?

Would I need to strip it off before I re-hot wax the board if I was to use the paste wax in a pinch between hot waxes?

Is this stuff any good or is it garbage?

Anything else that I need to know about paste waxes?

Thanks.
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2013 at 11:26am
You can just buff it on. No need to strip anything. It will strip itself off in a few runs. It is really good, if you are racing, but isn't a long term solution.
ameration View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote ameration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2013 at 11:35am
Originally posted by VermontRider

You can just buff it on. No need to strip anything. It will strip itself off in a few runs. It is really good, if you are racing, but isn't a long term solution.

OK, so really it is just used as a "quick touch up" type wax in between hot waxes, right?
chenmt View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chenmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2013 at 12:41pm
as vermont rider pointed out already. rub on wax is temporary. usually for racing or if midday your board is really dried out and you dont want to pay the mountain to hot wax your board. if you think about it, rub on wax isn't melted and thus it doesn't get into smaller pores in your board nor will it go as deep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>