2012 Ride Berzerker Review

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012 Ride Berzerker Review
    Posted: Feb/05/2012 at 3:33pm
Rider: Ippy inutil. Lazy, fat, happy on a charge, loves pop, enjoys pow, parkphobic. 

Board: 2012 Ride Berzerker 158. All mountain hybrid camber, narrow ass waist, 3 part directional sidecut (9.8, 7.3, 8.3), mellow camber from tail contact to inserts then a very mellow rocker on the nose. Directional, 90A Slimewalls, sintered, carbon array 3, 3/4 inch setback, and a ride flex of 7.

Time on the board: 2 days so far.
Bindings: My trusty peeling apart, ratchet hell 2009/10 green forces. 
Conditions: Day 1 (kagura) overcast, pow, slightly packing, but still japow. Day 2 (gala yuzawa/kogen/ishiuchi): sunny, so the pow got progressively heavier. At ishiuchi it was full blown crud. 
Other: Day 1: Rode bindings fully set back for pow. Day 2: switched up to a centered (though in built setback) stance. 
Tech preconceptions: A hard charging board but with a little extra kick for pow. Might be a bit squirly in icier conditions but i can live with that. Probably wont be too playful though...

Review: 

Strapped in and the first thing i did was had a wee test of the flex. This board is NOT STIFF. I mean, it might just be that i'm fairly used to boards that give you a hernia when you try and press them, but this board presses EFFORTLESSLY (comparatively speaking of course -its not a horrorscope). I'd dare say this was even easier to press than my airobic. Well there goes preconception number 1. I bet it rides crap in switch though... blam! no. Rides switch fine thanks. Bindings set back or not, it just feels like riding switch. 

Right, it butters. If i was giving it a flex rating id put it at a classic medium flex. Maybe even slightly softer than a medium flex. That's surprise number one then: It is mellow camber with a mellow rocker nose after all... its kinda buttery... i guess that means its going to suck on a carve.

So i put it on edge and got hit with revelation number 2. First, getting on edge was super smoooooooth. You lock into a carve right away and you KNOW you're on your edge. The second thing though is that this board has a gas pedal! 

You know in movies when someone hits the turbo button and they get knocked back into their seat... its like that. I swear to god! you get on your edge and there's none of this slow build up, you are now going immediately faster. It was kinda funny. There was no pop on it, i didn't bounce into this edge, just rolled onto it and boom! acceleration.  And it locks. If you blind tested this board, you wouldn't know this had any rocker at all. Its edge hold is solid. The word "wash" didn't even enter my thoughts until i was on the train home thinking "holy shit, the idea of this board washing never even crossed my mind once this weekend!"

Naturally then the rocker is not affecting the carve so it must be sooooo mellow that its barely going to affect the pow either... its probably just like riding a broken in camber ride, right? 

Wrong again ipps. 

Kagura gets deep. The board killed it. No nose diving issues to report. I took it into the areas the riot really got spanked on (the trees up near the top lift which gets both deep and can be flat in places), and this board rode it like i was on my charlie. Naturally no taper and 6cms smaller than the slasher means the charlie still has its role, but for anything but the deepest terrain this board is going to kill it. With the bindings set back i had no problems at all. It eats up slackcountry japow. [I should add though on day 2 when i centered the bindings i did have a couple of moments when it tried to nose dive, so its not a pow board in that regard]. But when you have a pow day, knock the bindings back and blam! semi-pow stick. 

So Day 1 conclusions:

This board is a mechanical marvel. Someone is going to be ecstatic about this board. If i did have to pick apart one thing on it, it did seem kinda lifeless... it was missing a little oomph to it that i want in a board (and that i definitely get on both the quiver killer/NAS and the riot). It handles it all, but its just lacking that little aggressive tweak that makes me want to bounce off everything and throw it everwhere. It does it, but in a kind of "thats nice, but dont you want to go play in the trees?" type of way. Its like an old faithful board. Maybe even a slackcountry quiver killer. Its buttery fun with an amazing consistent ride and fantastic float. Pretty much ticks almost all the boxes youd want. Just not all the boxes i want. 

And then on day 2 i decided this opinion was massively influenced by both the lines i rode (pow lines and chopped up steeps - the mainstay of kagura) and my binding positioning. I needed to test this out and see the difference it made.

Well, as luck would have it, the first run i clipped in on (the top run at gala yuzawa) was your classic intermediate groomed steep. 

And here i learned two new things about this board. 

1. The board is seriously quick. 
2. The board does not care one way or the other whether you want to ride an entire line with one edge change. Preconception number.... lets say ten... smashed. This board isnt just about tight sharp turns. I mean it turns super quick as youd expect, but as you might not expect, (but only later come to realise as to why), it also runs long straight lines without hooking you round. And then you suddenly remember the mellow rocker and the extremely wide angle in the sidecut at the nose... thanks ride R+D. :) 

So on a carve its quick, its got super easy turn initiation, it doesnt hook (i should also mention this for landings as well though i personally wont be testing that one for you), it locks like youd expect camber to lock, it can do super quick transitions thanks in part to its narrow width and sidecut and also holds long arcs with no real problems. So if this was a carving board, youd be pretty happy with it. 

In the pow it floats, doesnt nose dive, stomps and slashes, it feels really meaty and you wont feel like youre skidding out. It kills it. So preconception number 1 delivered! its an aggressive board with a powder lean. Yay! 

But its not.

Its also seriously playful. Day 2 i spent shooting up walls, playing in the baby park getting baby air, 50/50ing boxes and rails, hitting every side hit and bouncing every bit of crud and chop you could find. I mention this in part to humiliate myself by reminding you that im not a park rat, but also because it was the change in the feel of this board that actually had me wanting to do all this. If this board was just the board from my preconception above i would have spent the day kinda chilling and burning down the groomers... Its just not though, its super playful. But in a buttery playful way, kinda like the indoor survival type of playful as opposed the riots type of playful. It has pop, and decent pop at that (especially bouncing edge to edge which is a stack of fun), it wants to ride walls (theres about a 100spots of formerly immaculate sidewalls on the groomers of gala that have this boards little imprint on it now) and it wants to just spin and butter about. Its just really fun on top of everything else. 

So let me take a brief moment to point out all the contrasts...

1. Its both super playful when you want it, and super aggressive when you want that.
2. It floats like an untapered s-rocker but loses nothing in its carve to deliver that.
3. It excels at sharp explosive turns, but doesnt hook on long turns. 
4. Its poppy yet buttery.

I cant think of anything its missing to be honest...

I guess the last thing i should mention is the dampening. Ive never ridden a board specifically with dampening built into it so im not exactly the best person to ask... but even in serious crud i didnt come out of it with jelly knees. I never felt like i was being bounced around so i hope that helps you out. 

Conclusion: 

What the hell else am i going to say except this board is genuinely the best board ive ever ridden. I mean ive ridden less boards in my life than someone like the angrysnowboarder rides in a weekend test so this statement should carry zero weight. But I cant help but think somethings actually clicked in this deck. 

Its rather batshit insane if im honest. I keep mentally digging through this check list of things a board needs to do (and do above average), to be considered that perfect kill it all deck... and it keeps ticking the damn boxes. I want to say something negative about it, i want to say "but yeah... you still want to ride your riot though!" but thats more out of masochism and the sheer mischief that board carries. This deck on the other hand is pure functional elegance. Everything works and it works to perfection. Its not simply good at everything; its very good at everything AND even exceptional in some of those areas (its carving, its speed, and its turning just for three things). 

Ive spent the past two years stating categorically that theres always a trade off... and im trying desperately to think of it... but bugger me, i dont honestly know what it is. I cant think of a bad thing to say about this board. I guess i could say its pop is still a little flat... maybe... but only a little and only because my last two go-to boards (well one of them is my current), are the riot and the quiver killer - two boards built for pop. 

I dunno what to say dudes... this is annoyingly positive. I want to criticise it. I want to find fault in it and have that "aha! i've GOT YOU NOW!!!" moment, but if you want a board thats going to kill it all no matter what and not sacrifice anything in doing it, then shtooking hell... this might actually be that board. Its far and away the most versatile board ive ridden and until they design that board (which currently only exists in my head and changes its flex and shape like you can change your stance), it probably will be for a few years yet.  Im quite gobsmacked by it to be honest. 

m00m
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2012 at 5:52am
This is Blauvelt's pro model, correct? It's been about five years since I owned a Ride snowboard and three years since I rode one. I've definitely been intrigued by this one. If the Cobra doesn't work for me, I might need to check it out.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2012 at 12:23pm
yupyup, and the dude clearly knows what he wants in his snowboard (everything). :) 
m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2012 at 1:56pm
bump because... well,  Censored you. 
m00m
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2012 at 4:41am
Great review, I was always interested in the Berzerker
exastronaut View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote exastronaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2012 at 5:53am
I've been keeping an eye on this one. I still love my Ride Concept TMS, although it doesn't see the light of day as much as it used to. I could see by the construction that this board should be a little softer, but you give me the impression that maybe it's a lot softer. How is the torsional stiffness?

I ride trees almost exclusively. If the snow is good, hell, if the snow is just average, I don't want to be on trail. Besides my other Ride, I've got a big (166), rigid, directional, Arbor Crossbow (nearly identical to the A-Frame), and a Yes GDOH 162. I'm looking for something in between. Some camber, rocker nose, directional, but significantly softer than my Arbor. That thing will effing bomb, but it's not a fan of tight spaces, and the trees in the Northeast don't have much room between them.

So, in your non-expert opinion, will this thing float my fat ass in powder, have some playfulness to it, but still be responsive enough to keep my head from ending up in the same place as a tree?
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2012 at 4:57pm
im now a cool 78kilos riding the 158. Im riding some relatively deep and flat pow in kagura and its staying on top of things. In the flats itself i wouldnt want to be the person cutting the line on it, but in a decent gradient (your standard medium green run and above), where you can get a bit of speed, youll be fine.

Torsionally its quite twisty, nothing outlandish, but im pretty sure that rocker nose is making it super easy to twist and initiate turns (and the camber in the back is giving you that spring out). So no problems there. 

Response: The thing does what you tell it. Its got great response. On my quiver killer it always felt a little heavy and hard to get lightning fast edge to edge. Its one of its acchiles heels. On this, edge to edge is nice and quick, it pops and it can hold a line or hook super quick depending on what you want it to do. You can glide beautiful s-carves, or you can just smash on that tail and slash your way through the pow. Its got great response (and variation) is what im suggesting in a roundabout way. I think whats really driving teh reponse is the carbon array though. I wish i could be exact on this, but im sure the ride techs would confirm this. You feel like youre on your entire length of your edge when you drop into a carve. Its totally stable and theres no feeling like youre driving those contacts with the edge reinforcing it (and sliding under you if the contacts give out). This is hard to express, but you dont really notice your contacts because the pressure is distrubuted so well throughout your entire edge. 

Just put the pieces together and i tell you, from actually using it, it does exactly what you think it should and could do. Its lightweight, quick, super responsive, it holds a line perfectly, it distributes the force along the edge, it doesnt hook or catch, it floats, it slashes and stomps and it has just enough kick in the tail to get some real energy from your turns (though the setback sits you pretty much on top of its sweetspot which is going to soften the snap a little - centered though and its much more lively as youd expect). 

Hope that helps tease out some more parts that i might have overlooked in the review (the carbon array for instance). 
m00m
exastronaut View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote exastronaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2012 at 6:53am
Well I'm tipping the scales at about 100 kilos, so I'm looking at the 167. I like that the waist is on the narrower side for a board that long. I'm sure that helps with the quick response. I also really like Ride's quadratic sidecut. I think those two things really contribute to the ride characteristics you're talking about. 

My Concept TMS is a great, but it's a bit too stiff and doesn't float all that well with a big guy like me on it. It really sounds like the Berzerker is a very similar board with that narrower waist and quadratic sidecut. Construction is similar, it's just a step down on the fiberglass & carbon fiber reinforcing the Berzeker, and you get the rockered nose.

It looks like there's still quite a few of these guys for sale right now. I was thinking of trying to pick up a directional CamRock board, or something with a little bit of taper, or maybe waiting on the new NS Cobra, but if one of these pops up on the right clearance sale, I may jump on it.

So many possibilities...
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2012 at 1:14pm
Great review!

That's why this guy is an expert on here (plus the tons of other info he's responsible for). Not just the review but following up with peoples questions as well. Good to see.

Very tempted to get on one of these, could replace my machete and more by the sounds of it.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2012 at 4:08pm
Its definitely worth your cash. :) BUt i would say that :p

And thanks migoo, very kind of you to say that. If you do get a chance, go demo it. If i see another one at cheap, theres a pretty big chance im picking it up (this one is already earmarked for one of my mates moving over to japan from teaching in china... actually i cant wait to see what he thinks of it since he hated the indoor fk but loved my quiver killer. Its always interesting to get a fresh pair of eyes on it). 
m00m
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2012 at 11:58am
Wow, ipps, I just read through this whole page, took me a while, had to take some breaks to rest my eyes but I finally finished.  Dude, first of all, excellent review! Obviously.  But as you explained each feature, it was easy to imagine your riding conditions and it basically brought me there.  Ridiculously in depth.  I can see now why you don't have many points for product reviews... it would just take too long. LOL

I have some questions about this board.  I saw on your profile you normally ride a 159 and you got a 158 on this.  I see your weight and height and I see many riders on the hill and it just seems to me that I'm going too long for my boards.  I'm 5'7" - 5'8", 158 lbs, and based on the weight ranges, I went with the 155 stunt and 157 vapor.  My stance is just one notch before the widest and I like it.  You can see based on my profile picture.  I get the stability I want when landing without sacrificing comfort when initiating turns.

Anyway, so the Stunt is my soft noodle rocker and my vapor is my stiff directional camber and I know I want a hybrid for my next board.  I was initially thinking about going hybrid twin shape/flex but reading this review has me reconsidering directional.  

Riding switch is pretty important to me and I know you mention that this board is more than capable, but did you find you could ride the entire run switch comfortably or were you just going switch for fatigue sake from your normal stance?  I like to throw in 180's on flat runs and off lips and thus why I would like to land switch with confidence.  I find I enjoy the super pipe a lot and am hoping to do more than just climb those walls, but like you am pretty parkphobic when it comes to large features and rails.  I'll go on the occasional box and am now hitting medium features with some simple grabs.  I still can't rotate properly off jumps, something about the incline throws me off, but I'm hoping to address that this season.  I'm not an awesome boarder, but I'm pretty determined and developing pretty fast, at least that's what I've been told, so I am looking to progress with my next purchase.

Basically, your review here has me believing this is the all-round board I've been looking for as my go-to stick when going on trips.  I hate having to choose between my Stunt and my Vapor for a 3 day long trip out of province.  I love how playful I can be with my Stunt but I also love how aggressive and fast I can be with my Vapor.

Sorry if this post is all over the place.  I will probably keep my 155 stunt and my 157 vapor for a long long time.  Before I read this review, I was considering going after a hybrid twin around 151, to see if I'm really going too long and if I'd have more fun going shorter.  The hybrid could potentially lead me to sell my other two boards as I get older.  So what are your thoughts?  I see that the shortest the Berzerker goes is 155 sooo...
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2012 at 4:58pm
Actually on the issue of sizing it gets really murky once youve spent a while on a board. You tend towards the size youre happy with regardless of your own weight fluctuation. The guidelines on sizing are just that: guidelines. Over the past years ive gone from 82kgs to 72 and back up :'(
Ive always been happy as a pig in shit in the 156-159 range. Anything shorter and i start bitching about the board, anything longer and i have a mental snap that tells me that someone has clearly replaced my snowboard for a goddamned canoe! Its psychological. Pick the size youre happy with, maybe tinker a few cms, but theres no objective correct size out there because we arent machines at the end of the day. We formulate preferences and then lie to ourselves to justify them :) 

Onto question 2. Make no mistakes, this board is directional to hell. Not only is it setback, its got a directional sidecut AND a directional camber profile. Its pretty much made to go in one direction. I do say its fine to ride switch, but i dont have a problem riding my charlie switch when its fully set back... Its not a twin. Youre fine riding it switch, im extremely comfy in switch, so for me, its genuinely not an issue but youd probably find switch riding better if you had a twin or even a bataleon (those things are cheat mode for switch riding). Be realistic is what im suggesting. Its fine, you can do it, you can even butter about fine, but its not built for that. All the benefits are in the one direction. Reverse it and obviously you have less snap in the tail, a shorter nose, and less float with a hookier turn initiation and poor release. These are factors that dont really bother you that much, its still a snowboard, its still got twin tips. Its just not a twin board though. 
I think you buy this board if switch isnt a big deal in truth and would probably advise something different if it is. Youre going to love it if you ride predominantly the one direction, but if youre spending a great deal of time in switch, its not the best tool for the job to be honest. 
So yeah, theres its acchiles heel and why theres a trade off in the end. :) Such is the thing though with very directional boards though. 
m00m
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2012 at 11:56pm
Ok, thanks Ipp, this is something I'd definitely need to demo before making the purchase.  I hope I find the opportunity.  I'll check this board out and probably look at a Burton Flying V twin shape as well.

I don't feel I'd miss switch so much, I do usually just turn out back to my normal regular stance after landing switch from a 180.  I don't even mind riding switch on my Vapor much, just gets annoying after a little while.

This video really entices me though... and based on Jake's length, it's definitely meant to be ridden in POW:

Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
 Post Reply Post Reply