All Things-FISHING

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kushman182 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Things-FISHING
    Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 7:17am
Maybe this thread wont stick but i see all these others about all things somethin so hopefully theres enough people out there that enjoy fishing as much as i do, and with such a disappointing winter im excited to get out on the water when spring comes
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 7:45am
I could go for a beer, warm sunlight, and a few lbs bass pulling on the other end of my line about now.
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 7:53am
that sounds great right about now, i just ordered a new st.croix rod and im just itchin to get out there and catch some lunker
jenni View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 8:16am
l like fishing too but l only go shore fishing. get these small fishes that isnt even worht te effort to skin and eat them 
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 8:20am
yeah i do plenty of shore fishin too, actually the biggest crappie ive ever caught was standin on a dock, weighed over 2 lbs, most of the fishin i do is catch and release but i do like cookin up some fish every once in awhile
daanbouman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote daanbouman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 8:37am
man, it's been a while since i've been fishing. putting up a tent, drinking all night, ordering food twice and catching maybe one or two fish each. that's what makes it great. being with friends. only we don't eat them, we prefer meat and dorito's
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 8:48am
yeah thats what its about, just enjoying the outdoors with friends and family, i remember me and my buddy grilled bacon over the fire one morning haha, it was great
Nire333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nire333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 8:51am
I absolutely love to fish. Thing is...I barely have the chance to get out. My family used to have a small fishing boat but we sold it and now i never get to go. It is such a peaceful activity that gets my in tune with nature.
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 9:01am
yeah, i love gettin to the lake at sunrise with fog over the lake and puttin the boat in the water, theres nothin better, ive loved to fish since i was a little kid, thats why im pursuing a degree in fisheries now
soxfan47104 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote soxfan47104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 10:03am
I go fishing every summer in wisconsin at a pretty big lake called balsam lake. I might be going to canada this year getting excited!
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 10:08am
i havent been fishin in quite a while now.... :-(

but I also dont have any of my stuff over here in germany with me, nor do i feel like forking out the cash to take the course that is required before you can even apply to get a license.....
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 10:09am
man id love to go to canada and fish, id really like to get ahold of a big muskie or a northern up there, not to mention the smallmouth
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 10:09am
OoOh fishing thread.
I used to love going fishing every weekend! then life happened.
But I've got an Ice Fishing trip planned for  next week and I'm quite excited to go! haven't tried it before so it'll be a new experience. hope we catch some huge 2lb perch lol
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 10:10am
Originally posted by derbytownjoe

i havent been fishin in quite a while now.... :-(

but I also dont have any of my stuff over here in germany with me, nor do i feel like forking out the cash to take the course that is required before you can even apply to get a license.....
yeah i wouldnt even want to know what youd have to go through to get a liscense there, that sucks man, but thats why you have snowboarding right? haha
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 10:12am
Originally posted by jhoang6

OoOh fishing thread.
But I've got an Ice Fishing trip planned for  next week and I'm quite excited to go! haven't tried it before so it'll be a new experience. hope we catch some huge 2lb perch lol
thats cool where you goin ice fishing? ive done it a few times, its pretty fun, but only if youre catchin fish, otherwise youre just sittin in the cold wishin you were warmer haha
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 10:12am
@derbytownjoe.

What is it with Europe and having to take classes on everything just to do basic stuff? I mean do you have to have a cert just to piss in a public bathroom.:?

personally I say take the class. I dont know what kind of fishing you do but Germany for some reason is a leadering pulling out big pike. They have had numerous WR fish
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 10:15am
hell even here in the middle of munich on the river isar, there are huge trout..... but usually where ive seen them is a fairly popular swimming spot.... so i dont know if that would go over too well....
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 10:38am
Originally posted by kushman182

Originally posted by jhoang6

OoOh fishing thread.
thats cool where you goin ice fishing? ive done it a few times, its pretty fun, but only if youre catchin fish, otherwise youre just sittin in the cold wishin you were warmer haha

Going out to Ice fish in Collingwood, Ont., Canada we've got a hut and a wood burning stove to keep us warm. Gonna have to pick up some fire wood though, buying it on location will probably cost a lot more.
I'm expecting to catch perch/pike/trout...possibly some crappies too dunno what else.
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 10:41am

^ that sounds like a blast, someday id like to get to canada to fish, best of luck to ya

jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 10:41am
Originally posted by derbytownjoe

hell even here in the middle of munich on the river isar, there are huge trout..... but usually where ive seen them is a fairly popular swimming spot.... so i dont know if that would go over too well....
really you have to take classes before getting a license? almost sounds like a boating license or drivers license..

sounds  a little bizarre.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 11:22am
all this stuff is in the offseason log but here are some shots from this summer on various fishing outings.

usually we go to the outer coast for a few days on each trip.  king salmon, halibut, coho, king crab, dungee crabs, and prawns are the catch each time.

july 10 heading out just for a day trip.. full post:

me getting ready haha

lots of scenery to see

old friend with a nice coho

total catch from the day

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 11:32am
a week later we did a 3 day trip to the coast... full post:

http://aklivin.blogspot.com/2011/07/july-15-18-fishin-elfin-cove.html 

video of my dad and a 170LB halibut, click link for full screen

back deck on our way out to the open ocean

first king of the trip.. a fatty

first larger halibut of the trip, this one was 90lbs

some scenery

screenshot, 3 grown men needed to get this 170lb halibut up and over our high sides

unlcle giving my dad props for the work.. haha

dad and the beast

our boat

our freezer starting to fill up with salmon and halibut at the place we were staying in elfin cove...

screenshot of the seas on our way back, waves crashing above the roof

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 11:37am
later in august we did an overnight trip to tenakee.. full post:

the boat ready to go

scenery

me as we headed into tenakee after setting our dungee pots

dinner time... steak!

the next morning heading out to pull our pots at 5am

screenshot, one of the crabs we got.. they weren't very big, but they were legal

coho fishin'

more humpbacks

later on our way home, pulled our shrimp pots and were pleasantly surprised

after poppin' heads we came out with four full bags.. nom nom nom

Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 7:02pm
those are some great pictures spenser, that halibut is a monster!! i couldnt imagine something that big on the end of my line, the biggest fish ive ever caught was about a 60lb paddlefish
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 7:13pm
well... my dad is a pretty strong guy and he's been fishing his whole life.... it took 15 minutes from the bite to getting it in the boat and that cove we were in is not the deepest water so it wasn't a ridiculously long amount of line to pull in.  basically 80% is reeling in the weight, factoring in the way water makes it feel heavier, and the other 20% is the fish running and you holding on for dear life.  that shit can pull you out of the boat if it wants, if you hold onto the rod hard enough.

needless to say, my dad was pooped when we finally got it onboard.  he's not a hardass and doesn't act it, but he's tough... that thing wore him out.  it was the 3rd 170lb caught on our boat, first one i was there for.  no way to do the size justice in photos.. those things are monsters in person.

man i can't wait for summer, as much as i love winter...
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 7:16pm

yeah thats insane, im suprised he could even hang on to the rod when it took off a few times, ive had my fair share of battles with fish, but nothin that woulda done quite the same damage as that haha

EDIT: That makes me feel like a pus*y for catchin 4-5 lb largemouth bass lol
ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ianbejamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 7:18pm
i usually fish like bear grylls: with my bare hands...
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 7:24pm
Spencer: Those are some real rad pictures. Im hoping to go spear fishing when I visit my brother in law in Hawaii. They go at night with flash lights and pull out massive lobsters. So sick. Fishing is a lot of fun but I've never gone out on a big fishing boat.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 7:32pm

EDIT: That makes me feel like a pus*y for catchin 4-5 lb largemouth bass lol
haha nah, all fishing is fun, it's not about that.  some of the most fun i've ever had fishing was catching smaller stuff that liked to put up a fight, like rockfish.  actually pretty decent sized fish and they bite like crazy, like "my line's not even down yet" type of thing.

the biggest fish i've personally caught were halibut, but just small ones like 30-40 pounds.  sounds hefty but those are babies and you catch them constantly, most of which we throw back due to waiting for the big ones and not wanting to go over any limits.. and it pays off a lot of the time; we've got our secret spots haha.

speaking of fights... you get a feisty king or coho with at least 25lbs on its side, that's a fight.  shit i've caught some 15 pound coho that put up fights bigger than anything else i've had on the line.
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 7:36pm
ha yeah, fishin is a hell of alot of fun no matter what youre fishin for, its about just getting out there and doing it, one of these days ill get out on the ocean and catch some real monsters though, ive got a few fish on my list id like to hook
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 7:44pm
same here, but i don't know if my little runner-body muscles can handle a 170lb halibut yet haha.  i might have a lot more cardio/stamina/youth on my side than my dad, but i sure don't have 54 years worth of muscles.

halibut fishing is great though... anchor up in a cove, sit back, and wait.  very relaxing. that particular day we got the 170 was amazing.  bluebird, perfect temp, nice ocean breeze, had some breakfast burritos, and sat back...
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 7:47pm
yeah those are some of the best days, every year we go out night fishing on the boat and spend the whole night fishing for walleye and white bass, its a great time
elmers_cow View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote elmers_cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2012 at 8:13pm
mmmm fishing.... even if i dont catch anything its still fun hanging with the buds
let it snow
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 12:54pm
^ Hanging out is good and all but I'd rather still be catching fish!
That's something to talk about haha
damn I miss it...
fishing isn't what it used to be.
awesome pics spenser, all the shrimp, huge halibut

Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 12:58pm
Natural light whilst fishing spenser? Shame on you Tongue
ChiTownRon View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 1:15pm
Good pictures, spenser. Love to fish but it's been a month or so since I went. Nothing but couple small perch. My work hours will chance once spring starts, so I plan on going out a lot more.
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 1:29pm
i plan on going at ice out and tryin to catch some northerns, theres a decent lake around here ive wanted to fish at ice out for awhile now
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Skio25

Natural light whilst fishing spenser? Shame on you Tongue
my dad drinks the natty, haha.  usually ICE but there's always a 12er of light.

if i drink cheap stuff it's PBR.  normally i like nicer beers... unibroue is my favorite brew co : )
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Online Status: Online
  Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 5:47pm
I like to fish for largemouth bass and smallmouth bass,and w/e else takes my lures, in the rivers and lakes here in MI.  I don't eat fish (it makes me sick) so I do the catch and release thing.  I also mash the barbs down on the hooks to make for an easy release.  I just like being on the water and floating around.... I take a lot of pics and do a lot of my artwork from my pics I take on my fishing trips.

4-5lb largemouth I caught about 3 yrs ago

My Illustration of catching the bass on a jig.

I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 6:25pm
Mike thats a nice largemouth!, i primarily fish for largemouth here in nebraska, havent had the chance to get ahold of a smallie yet but hopefully soon, and thats a really cool picture you drew up, i wish i was artistic enough to do that
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 6:30pm
Hmm. I need to get some pics of my Lake Michigan adventures on here. My favorite fish from that lake was a 18 lb Rainbow trout that I hooked before I even got the planer board all the way out on the highline. That fish was so big/old, it looked like a normal king, we didnt realize it was a rainbow till later when we saw it in more light. Also, idk who here buys those little Plano extra tray inserts, but I forget which model, but there is a picture of me holding a smallmouth bass over the side of the boat on that paper insert in one of the Plano trays. I did a photoshoot for Plano about 6 years ago.
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2012 at 7:31pm
wow an 18lb rainbow? thats huge, and how did you manage to snag a job like that doin photoshoots for plano?
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2012 at 8:20am

Mike thats a nice largemouth!, i primarily fish for largemouth here in nebraska, havent had the chance to get ahold of a smallie yet but hopefully soon, and thats a really cool picture you drew up, i wish i was artistic enough to do that
smallies are fun the big difference i find to largemouths are that they tend to jump more and my catches are usually smaller than the large mouths.
Love it when you're tossing a jig and as it drops you feel a hit, bam! its largemouth.
esp more exciting is playing with top water lures like frogs or poppers. I get way too trigger happy hahaha
azngolfur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote azngolfur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2012 at 9:14am
Any general advice for beginner fisherman out there?

We bought our fishing licenses for the year... new poles, tackle box, everything.

When we got to the lake, we spent more than half of our time untangling lines and trying to set up the hooks.

So frustrating...

MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2012 at 10:48am
Originally posted by azngolfur

Any general advice for beginner fisherman out there?

We bought our fishing licenses for the year... new poles, tackle box, everything.

When we got to the lake, we spent more than half of our time untangling lines and trying to set up the hooks.

So frustrating...

i'd suggest going out with someone that knows what they are doing... they will be able to help out immensely... offer to pay for their beers and/or drive them.  

i tend to tangle up my fly line every once in awhile after a few safety related extracurricular activities so i feel your pain on untangling lines... best of luck! 
MOAR powderz plz!
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Online Status: Online
  Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2012 at 11:00am
I agree with MT.  Try to find someone who knows what they are doing and go w/ them.

I use baitcast reels pretty much exclusively.. and no matter what/ how careful you are, you will get a nice blacklash or 3 during the day.  I spend 5-10 mins picking out the tangle a few times each outing.  It happens, even on spinning rods you get line twist.  This can be avoided by properly spooling the line on the reel. A lot of sporting goods stores will/ can do this for you when you get new line.
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
Nire333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nire333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2012 at 11:22am
Biggest smallmouth I ever caught was 21.5 inches. I though it was pretty big for Wisconsin. I know a couple of my friends have gone up to Canada and got some 23-24 inchers.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2012 at 11:23am
I've never actually been out fishing before i guess cuz i don't know anyone who does but is it really that fun?
Nire333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nire333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2012 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Von44

I've never actually been out fishing before i guess cuz i don't know anyone who does but is it really that fun?

If you like nature and tranquility (sometimes haha) then you will absolutely love fishing. It is so peaceful to just sit there and jig for a while. Sometimes it is just as fun to go by yourself as it is with friends.
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2012 at 11:38am
umm. My dad worked with one of their reps when they needed some printing jobs. And they needed a father/son duo for a photoshoot, we spent the day fishing, they fed us 3 times, and I got to pick whatever stuff I wanted. So I got a bow case, a really big tacklebox, and a smaller tacklebox. It was a really good deal. We never really got paid, but we got hundreds in free gear/food for fishing that day, and snapping a few pics.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>