Jackson Hole

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bonitis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bonitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jackson Hole
    Posted: Feb/22/2012 at 4:55pm
so Copper Mountain has been crossed off. Now looking to head to Jackson Hole for the first time. Anyone who has been there, do you have any travel tips? IE where to stay, how to get cheaper lift tickets, food, etc? Is rental car needed? Was thinking of booking everything via one of those travel sites like orbitz or priceline.
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2012 at 3:51am
JH discount tickets are pretty hard to come across.  Some of the hotels might have minor discounts.  If you stay in Jackson and not the village it's a little cheaper and there are buses that will take you to the mountain for around $6 I think (i've never taken them).  You can also catch Snow King in Jackson for some night riding if you didn't get enough during the day.  If you rent a car you can make the trip to Grand Targhee as well, lift tickets are cheaper and they have some good terrain.  Neither JH or Targhee have much if anything for parks.  The "Stash" is at Jackson but it's fairly advanced, the smaller parks are well, small.  Although if you are going to Jackson to putz around in the park you might want to rethink your trip =)

Flights in to Jackson are pretty pricey, but it's a hell of a view flying in.

x_X
Bonitis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Bonitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2012 at 10:18am
thanks! how/where did you book everything? I was thinking of doing one of those inclusive packages through priceline or orbitz.
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/29/2012 at 8:29am
I don't have much to help you with there.  I drive to Jackson and stay with family.  
x_X
Bonitis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Bonitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 12:41pm
no worries, booked everything thru expedia. staying in teton. flight and 4 nights and roundtrip transportation to/from the airport cost 780. not bad i guess, but still gotta get lift tickets. Gonna do just two days of boarding and a day of snowmobiling. Any advice on what runs/what sections of the mountain to hit?

Debating on whether to bring my 155 Hero or 158 custom..
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2012 at 1:02pm
which custom is it?  JH is a burly mtn so u will prob want something stiffer than a hero... 780 seems really low for 4 nights in a hotel and airfare... smoken deal if so.  now get ready to be raped by ticket prices ;)
MOAR powderz plz!
Bonitis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Bonitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2012 at 4:56am
2009 custom. not the x. yea i like my hero more, just not sure how it'll handle the steeps. yea we going in late march/early april, so maybe thats why it was cheaper. though i hear lift tickets and everything else is expensive :/
Bonitis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Bonitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2012 at 6:07am
Anyone have suggestions on what trails/bowls to hit? First time there. I'm above average boarder, but not really looking to be jumping cliffs or anything. Just want to really get the jackson hole experience.
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2012 at 6:30am
well to really experience Jackson Hole you should drop corbets.  But if that's not your style, anything off the Tram is fun.
x_X
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2012 at 6:55am
Originally posted by )(nfinit)(

well to really experience Jackson Hole you should drop corbets.  But if that's not your style, anything off the Tram is fun.

other than just for the ride... theres no point in riding the tram if you aren't going to do corbetts.... no point in standing in line when u can take other lifts and ski your way over to the goods....
MOAR powderz plz!
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2012 at 7:03am
I guess that's a true statement.  But you should at least ride the tram once.  Just to do it.  

dammit I hate when chad's right.  eff, now I have to go kick a puppy.
x_X
Bonitis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Bonitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2012 at 6:46am

hmm that run seems pretty gangster, heh. not sure if i'll be up to it. what areas for bowls/tree runs/glades are good?

any recs for restaurants or bars?
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2012 at 7:46am
I dunno if i'd call it gangster... but the mandatory drop in is what scares most people off.  My idiot buddy(skier) somehow fell backwards and upside down on the drop in..luckily he didn't F himself up.... was pretty entertaining to watch from just past the landing zone.  Once you're down in it, its not bad.. just steep.

The whole looker's left side of the mtn is rad...and then theres some fun glade/tree stuff far right.  stash parks are somewhat in the middle.  mangy moose is fun place for apre up at the mtn... also theres a bar/rest. right by the tram with a huge deck thing thats pretty fun too.  As far as bars in town.. gotta check out the cowboy for sure.. the virginian is pretty fun as well.  Bar up at snowking is a bit more low key but still fun as well.
MOAR powderz plz!
Bonitis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Bonitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 12:42pm
dang, just checked the report today and they said it's hard frozen surface?? how's that possible? thought it'd be powder...and lotsa lifts closed b/c of wind? hope it clears up by the end of this week..
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 12:54pm
I think the base is going to be fubar for you.  Hopefully the upper elevations will be better.  In the spring conditions can change quickly and Jackson has been having pretty warm temps.  Best of luck!
x_X
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 1:05pm
its going to be icy when it warms up above 32 during the day with the sun beating down..then goes below freezing at night... this shouldn't be rocket science.  best of luck on snow conditions at the end of the week!
MOAR powderz plz!
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 1:47pm
Are you a G. Love fan Bonitis?  I've seen em live and they were pretty good... actually waited on them the night before they played here.  I went to the Mtn Festival a few years back when Franti and Spearhead played...had a BLAST!  
MOAR powderz plz!
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by MTpow

Are you a G. Love fan Bonitis?  I've seen em live and they were pretty good... actually waited on them the night before they played here.  I went to the Mtn Festival a few years back when Franti and Spearhead played...had a BLAST!  

Do not miss a chance to see G.Love (and special sauce), the Glove is great live

-b

P.S.  How did Glove tip MT?  Did he bring his own hot sauce ???
get bent
Commissar View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2012 at 12:47pm
http://jacksonholewy.com/ is where I have booked my trip in the past, and am using them again this year.  Not killer lift ticket deals, but better than buying them online at jacksonhole.com.

Food and drinks in town are very reasonable.  Billy's Burgers is a must stop, that place is great.  There are also several fast good joints around the area if you want to do it on the cheap.  You can walk the entire town, so don't waste money on cabs or a rental car, unless of course you are driving in.
lucycandy View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote lucycandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2013 at 9:31pm
Neither JH or Targhee have much if anything for parks. The "Stash" is at Jackson but it's fairly advanced, the smaller parks are well, small. Although if you are going to Jackson to putz around in the park you might want to rethink your trip

Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2013 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Commissar

http://jacksonholewy.com/ is where I have booked my trip in the past, and am using them again this year.  Not killer lift ticket deals, but better than buying them online at jacksonhole.com.

Food and drinks in town are very reasonable.  Billy's Burgers is a must stop, that place is great.  There are also several fast good joints around the area if you want to do it on the cheap.  You can walk the entire town, so don't waste money on cabs or a rental car, unless of course you are driving in.

I really want to try this out next season, but I'm not sure if I can handle riding so much pow.  Is a taxi ride from the airport to the lodging location a reasonable price?  Otherwise I would probably rather rent a car on the cheap.  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2013 at 9:57am
Angry, I have had some of the best snow and some of the worst snow at JH.  I do believe the bus system is more than adequate if you don't want to rent a car (although I've never used it).  

Only reason I would rent a car is if you want to venture over to Targhee.  Also a great resort, minus some of the technical aspects.  Hope you can make it out there.  It's one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.  
x_X
Commissar View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2013 at 7:39pm
If you book through the link above all travel, lodging, and lift tickets can be combined for discounts. No rental is necessary, I hear rentals are extremely pricey in JH.
 Post Reply Post Reply