Quick Login: Forgot password?

Topic ClosedTeaching the NEXT generation to Snowboard

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PunkPhilosophy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Canyons Resort POWDER DAY... This is SPRING in Utah!

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teaching the NEXT generation to Snowboard
    Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 8:53am
I will be teaching my daughter (a month away from turning 5 years-old) to snowboard. I just wanted to get some advice from fathers who have gone down this path before me... or from instructors at resorts. WHAT IS THE BEST METHOD to teach a 5 year-old little girl to snowboard? I am looking for direction and steps... "start with this, then move on to this and then this... and so on" I just want to do it right so that if she enjoys herself up on the hill... she will be shredding circles around most boys in no time... IF she likes it. But every time I head out the door.. she always says, "Daddy, I want to go snowboarding with you, can I come this time?" It is SO cute, I simply HAVE TO take her soon! I cannot wait to share something that has brought me SO MUCH joy! THANK YOU for any and all help you guys can offer me!
winn View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my collection

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 8:55am
get an instructor l think is the best advice and staying by her side as she starts learning
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 8:58am
Money is tight... I will be the one to teach... I know is sounds bad... but I am saving enough money to get her a rental board ($15) for when we go... If she digs it then I'll buy her one next season (that will give me more time to save) Money problems or not... I want to pass on this passion for riding. I already looked into it a private instructor is $55 for an hour! No can do... gotta go out on my own here... besides, I am looking forward to spending the time with her...
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 9:35am
Make it fun.  Has to be the number one rule.  Go on a nice, sunny day (not in a blizzard), take snacks, don't go too long.

As far as learning, my kids picked it up really quickly.  Kids are just naturals, they have much better balance, lower COG, minimal fear etc.  My 4 and six year old both ski, but they have ridden snowboards several times.  Strap them in (it's good for them to learn but it takes forever) and it's easier for them to stand up toeside (knees up to feet).  I had mine just ride straight down and turn heelside and sit down when they want to stop. 

It's awesome once they're good enough to get on lifts and ride with you a little bit. 
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 9:38am
I've put this up here before, but here's my kid on a snowboard.
gunda pickle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 9:45am
That is great picture!
I am looking to pick up some used gear for my 4 year old this summer to get her out on the hill next winter.
gsoccer04 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 9:57am
As for an instructors view, ive taught kids as yound as 3 and a half, and the key it to make it fun as said above. The fact that you are looking to to it over an instructor is not that bad of an idea because the kids ive taught have always wanted to be able to show their parents everything anyway. The main thing to be sure of is to make sure she knows that when she falls (its inevitable) to be sure to make fists with her hands and not try to catch herself as much as cushion the fall, to avoid injuring her wrists. As far as a step by step technique its really pretty different for each student. The way I normally would begin a lesson is by trying to get the student to understand the way to put different pressures on the heel and toe side of the board, now this will either work or not. Then you could move into heel slipping or "the falling leaf", where you show how to use the edge of the heel side to control speed or stop. Rock your weight back and forth to somewhat slide the heel side and then stop to demonstrate the side slip. For the falling leaf you will basically ride only the heel side of the board to the right then to the left in a "falling leaf" motion. After this and hopefully becoming comfortable with the heel edge of the board you can go into a J turn. And slowly progress from there...
Hope this helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw2jg46kkh4

This link is to a video explaining the falling leaf,,, not sure but the channel may be useful too
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 10:41am
THANKS guys... these have all been very useful tips! I appreciate it very much! COOPERLA... that pic of your kid snowboarding is SUPER RAD! Thanks for sharing it... I hope my girl grasps the concept as awesome as your kid did/does! gsoccer04: Those were some awwesome tips and thanks for the link, very useful... AND, yes... there are a lot of very useful videos on the link you gave... so THANKS again!
humblerooster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 10:58am
Let her learn at her own pace.
I see Guys teaching girls all the time on the bunny hill when I go past it to hit the park and they push them to hard, so it makes it not fun.
Go on a powdery, sunny day. That will make it way more enjoyable the first time.
bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 11:53am
powdery and beginner don't mix well. when they stuck, they stuck for good. i have see a lot of them quit on the first few runs because they can't make it through some spot. 
hmmm... Now What???   
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Cooperla

Make it fun.  Has to be the number one rule.  Go on a nice, sunny day (not in a blizzard), take snacks, don't go too long.

Very sound advice.  I think someone else mentioned to let the kid go at her own pace.  And make sure you're in a good mood when you go too.  I made the mistake of being cranky about something unrelated and it didn't make for a good day for my son and I. 
bjvinson View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 12:09pm
I've got two sons, both now ride. The older one is a pretty athletic kid, while the second son is not. I taught con #1 and within an hour or so he was on the chair lift and tackling normal runs. Son #2 has had about three group lessons and is still pretty much getting to grips with being upright on the board. Just make sure that you are happy to go at your kid's pace (whatever that may be) and everything should work out - don't stress is the learning curve seems steeper than you anticipated. Just remember a bad day on the snow beats a good day at work! 
SoCalRyder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My little guy showin up the old man

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 12:16pm
Agree with rooster. I have a theory that a lot of couple break-up at ski resorts. I always see guys teaching their GF and usually by the end of the day you see a lot of those girls sitting on the deck pissed off.

It has to be fun. Dont be like some parents where they want their kid to be the next Shawn White or Brian Boitano. They project their expectations and lost dreams on their kid and expect too much. Keep in mind she may not like it at all. But dont be surprised if your kid just picks it up quick. Kids sometimes dont complicate things with fear and logic like adults do.

You know, I believe the children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside. Give them a sense of pride to make it easier. Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be. I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows. If I fail, if I succeed. At least I'll live as I believe. No matter what they take from me. They can't take away my dignity

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 12:28pm
HOLY CRAP SoCal.... that was some funny shiz! BAHAHAHAHAA!

and yeah.. I agree with the couple break-up theory... basically if you are going to teach someone, you have to accept that the day you do is NOT about you AT ALL... and that day is ALL about teaching that individual... yes, at their pace.

I have a feeling my daughter will not be one of those who just picks it up fast... but thats cool... and if she hates it and wants to go home after 20 mins thats cool too... well not as cool, we may try a little longer than that, but if she says she is DONE... then she is and off home we shall go.

Thanks again... you guys pretty much rock! EVEN IF you quote Whitney Houston lyrics. BTW way... I started singing along! I HATE YOU! LOL!
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 12:50pm
My son tried skiing a couple times last season and liked the snow, but didn't really enjoy skiing because his first instructor was trying to be funny by calling him "cute" names and he just didn't want to listen to him. He didn't do much better in his 2nd group lesson. He enjoyed it more on his 3rd time, but it was a private lesson which cost an arm and a leg. After that 3rd day, he said he wanted to snowboard.

Since I didn't want to pay for any more lessons, I taught him myself. We just went on the magic carpet. I helped him to stand up and he just starting going tip first. He would fall after a few yards, then I help him up, and he'll go again. We did the magic carpet run 3 times, and he was done for the day. I thought he wasn't going to like it any more. But, on the way home, he asked when he could go again. He went 1 more time before the end of the season. He was able to stand up by himself and go straight down the run and get back up if he falls in the middle of the run. He stops by falling down. Again, he only went on 3 runs before he was pooped.

We've gone 1 time this season and he's able to get down the magic carpet run without falling at all. We went on 3 magic carpet runs and he was ready for more this time. Unfortunately, it was pretty late for lunch so we went to eat. He didn't feel like going back up after lunch.

My philosophy is not to push too much and not to force them to do things they don't want so they'll have a posible image of the sport. Let them go as long as they want. When they're tired, let them rest. If they're done after 1 run, so be it. Just make sure they're having fun. Don't tell them "look at everybody else and how they're able to do this or that". The thing is, maybe they WANT to be like everybody else, but they just can't do it. Saying that would just discourage them. Don't hesitate to praise them when they do something right. And try not to criticize too much, just advise on what they can work on.

He saw me in my ski gear yesterday morning when I was taking him to school and he asked if I was going to the snow. He said he wanted to go too. That was encouraging for me because that tells me that whatever I did has left a positive image of snowboarding for him and he has a desire to go too. I promised him that I'll schedule a day to take him. We'll be working on J turns so he can stop without having to fall down, if I were going to teach him again. But my wife saw a bunch of little kids at the Burton Academy at Northstar and wanted to try it so he can progress faster. We'll see what he wants to do. Notice that it's HIS choice, like all other decisions about snowboarding.
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 1:09pm
^That's pretty solid advice for any parenting, not just teaching them to ride.  A combination of this, and Whitney Houston's wisdom, and you can't go wrong.

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 1:10pm
Yes... the Magic Carpet is where I will be headed with her first. I agree with EVERYTHING you said... your son is lucky to have a good teacher like you... I hope I can do that good of a job... I will do everything I can to make HER DAY a good one and make sure she has a positive memory of the experience... so when she sees me leaving home in my gear she will say, "can I go?" She says that now... I hope she always will.

Thanks dude!

Yes... Whitney Houston's "wisdom" ...may we all live by it... well not the drug part... all that positive "children are our future" business, yeah, that...
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 1:12pm
LoL Whitney's wisdom...
thanks for sharing that story lightning. that put a smile on face. great to see your son enjoying the sport and living life for himself, making decisions.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 1:38pm
Who is Whitney Houston? Who does she ride for? Oh, wait. I think she's a pipe rider, right?

And why would you sing to my thoughts as i lay them down on paper. uh, i mean screen?
bjvinson View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2012 at 1:40pm
you guys need to quit talking about Whitney, the song is getting louder in my head!!
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 6:01am
I wrote up a summary of how teaching my daughter to snowboard for the first time went... check it out if you want to and have the time. It is a blog post... a tad long, but I am a proud Daddy!

I finally had the chance and near perfect conditions (a little over 60 degrees, maybe even a little too warm) to teach my 4 year-old daughter, Darby, how to snowboard. It was a bright sunny and warm Saturday morning when I loaded up all our gear and we set out to hit Beaver Mountain (Logan Canyon – Cache Valley, UT [3-10-2012]).

When we arrived at Beaver Mtn I got her all dressed up in her snow gear and then attached her Beaver Mtn Season Pass to her jacket. At Beaver Mtn whenever an adult purchases a season pass they may also receive a season pass for one of their children that are 5 years-old or younger. So, I was able to get her a pass for no additional cost, which is awesome! AND the rental for a kids snowboard (board, bindings and boots) was ONLY $8 for a half day and ONLY $10 for a full day! So we rented Darby’s gear for a half day and set out for an adventure.

I have heard about children getting scared when their feet get strapped into a board and not being able to move them… NOT Darby! Let me explain, over the past year we have watched several Warren Miller movies together (IF you don’t know who that is, Google it!), when Mom is out of the house… and Darby has really enjoyed watching them with me while she colors or we play a game… so much so, that pretty much as soon as Mommy leaves and it is just her, Me and Merek (my 2 year-old son) she looks at me and says, “Daddy, put on some snowboarding!” That has obviously made me very proud but those films have also sort of acted like training videos.

I strapped her feet in and she pretty much knew exactly what to do, she pointed the board downhill and just like that she was snowboarding. I brought my board with me, but I did a little research online in the week leading up to this day and found that it is best to leave my board on the sidelines and basically walk with her, run alongside her and then walk down and let her ride to me. So that is exactly what I did. After about 3 starts and stops, not three runs mind you… STILL ON HER FIRST RUN… Darby said, “Don’t touch me Dad, I want to do it all by myself!” I find it hard to express how proud I was at that moment; not merely about snowboarding, but that she wanted to take this challenge head on. It made me VERY proud to be DARBY’s Dad at that moment, I simply said, “Oh yeah, YOU GOT IT!” I let go and Darby rode down the hill for about 20 feet before I stopped her. I took this opportunity to explain how to stop again. “When you want to stop, just sit down.”

One of the funny, and albeit cute things, about children on snowboards is that the backs of the bindings basically stop a few inches before the back of the kid’s knee. So when a child tries to sit down they basically just end up squatting. Well, this can be problematic, as a squatting stance on a snowboard basically makes you go faster. So after my first experience with this, don’t worry… I caught her of course, I explained that she had to sit AND kick the snowboard out a little. Success… Darby knew how to stop. I tried not to let her get going too fast as landing on your butt sideways at any real amount of speed has a tendency to sort of “hyper-extend” your butt cheeks apart. Anyone who has ever learned to snowboard knows exactly what I am talking about. Truth be told, every now and again I still hit my butt kind of hard and, BOY HOWDY, it freaking hurts when I land on my backside at high speeds. Luckily, this only happened once to Darby, she cried a little and needed a hug and a few kisses… but after some love and a lot of praise for how well she was doing, she was ready to get “back on the horse” and keep on going. AGAIN, pride swelled inside me. I said “OK!”

We did another run or 2 and she said she was hungry and ready to go eat. I said, “Ok, how about 4 more runs?” And the negotiations began, I felt like I was back at the Golden West Swap Meet in Huntington Beach, California… bargaining with a Vietnamese guy for a pocket knife. Darby answered, “How about just 2 Dad?” I replied, “How about 3 more runs?” To which she said, “Ok Dad!”

I continued with my pre-planned onslaught of positive reinforcement. Darby (and pretty much any kid) responds very well to words of affirmation. I NEVER said a single negative thing, and praised her as much as possible without being annoying. But it really wasn’t hard to praise Darby, she was doing an amazing job. Now, of course I am biased, she is MY KID, so obviously she is totally awesome… however, in all honesty, she really was doing VERY well for her first time out.

One thing Darby got a HUGE kick out of was riding the magic carpet back up the little learner’s hill. The Magic Carpet is basically just a moving walkway with little rubber nubs on it to help grip skis and snowboards as it gently pulls you back up the hill. This method of going uphill is WAY BETTER than the older method which was “the tow rope.” If you have ever tried a tow rope, while learning to ski, you KNOW exactly what I mean. After riding the magic carpet twice Darby said, “Let me get off the top on my own Dad.” …yep, you guessed it, PRIDE SURGE. Darby just kept rocking this little hill over and over.

Half-way through our learning session another little kid from our neighborhood arrived as his Dad brought him up for some training as well. Darby LOVED that she knew someone else up there. My good friend and ski buddy Justin Jensen was teaching his son, Braxton, to ski. I am pretty sure this was his son’s fourth time up on the hill, and Braxton was doing great. Being a little more advanced, they only stuck around the learning hill for a couple of runs before heading up the “bunny hill” ski lift otherwise known as “Little Beaver.”

Justin, Braxton and Justin’s Mom met Darby and me in the Lodge for lunch and we all talked about skiing/snowboarding and how well the kids were doing. Well, being that Justin’s Mom happened to come along to watch her grandson ski… her presence afforded Justin and I the opportunity to go get two runs in on our own as his Mom stayed back and watched the kids for about 20 minutes. It was nice to get a couple of real runs in, but the fun of those runs could not even come close to how much fun I had teaching Darby how to snowboard!
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 6:11am
Darby rocking and rolling on The Magic Carpet!

Darby slay'en the hill... FIRST TIME!
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 6:14am
Originally posted by PunkPhilosophy

Nice! She rips!
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 8:05am
That's so cool.  Thanks for posting up the summary.  Sounds like you had an awesome day, and, more importantly, sounds like she had an awesome day.  She looks like a natural!
return2heaven View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 8:24am
Originally posted by PunkPhilosophy

so great! i was wondering if Darby's pants are insulated or shell? i've been looking everywhere for just a shell type pant for my 4 yr old to no avail... 
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 8:32am
great story   you have 15 years of fun in front of you my friend   enjoy every minute   it goes fast!
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 9:02am
THANK YOU EVERYONE! Yes is was super awesome! No, those are not shell pants, just ShopKo or Kmart snow pants, whatever the cheapest was at the time... in my mind, kids don't really need the super cool name brand stuff, they grow out of everything SO FAST! ...and YES, I am looking forward to the next 15 years with my little shredder!

THANKS A LOT FOR THE ADVISE AND KIND WORDS!
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 9:24am
Punk - Can you make a kindle version of your recap. Maybe a cliff notes too.
Glad to hear everything went well.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news (or good news) but you'll probably have more than 15 years of riding with your kid. I cant seem to shake my oldest kid when I go boarding. About the only time she wants to "hang-out" with me. I think it's because I'm still paying for her lift ticket and the gas.   
andrethegiant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 9:42am
screw making it fun, make them train hard so you can live off there success and get to go to the x games and other contest for free, but oh yeah, make sure they don't sign deals with target and wear leather...
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 9:43am
Originally posted by andrethegiant

screw making it fun, make them train hard so you can live off there success and get to go to the x games and other contest for free, but oh yeah, make sure they don't sign deals with target and wear leather...

dummy.
MOAR powderz plz!
humblerooster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 9:44am
Originally posted by andrethegiant

Gas and Lift Ticket is probably a big part of it hahah.
My friend says the same thing when he goes up with his parents.
Its a way to get up to the mountain instead of searching for a ride.
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2012 at 4:20am
I am hoping to get my son (3 next year) out on a board and if he likes it I have a credit at the shop by us, I will probably get him some gear.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2012 at 4:34am
Glad everything went well!  Didn't start my girl till she was 7 (last season), but she loved it, and it's so nice having a live in snow buddy now!
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2012 at 6:43am
Fun, my kid is going up skiing next week.  I am excited to have a partner in crime up on the slopes!!!!  We tried lessons last year to no avail.  This year, I think he's ready (5.5 years old).  I just don't think he was truly ready last year.
Wish me luck!

And awesome job Punk!!!!
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2012 at 11:12am
Thanks everyone... IT WAS SUPER RAD... I think I might try it again tomorrow! Maybe!
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2012 at 1:13pm
Glad it worked out for you! Soon, you'll be asking her to slow down so you can catch up. LOL
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2012 at 1:28pm
Got my daughter a lesson last season and took her out this season just to find out they never even put her on the lift during the lesson.  and it was an all day lesson! 
She learned more one day with me then she did on that lesson...
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2012 at 3:56pm
^^ I know a lot of the time they don't put beginners on a lift.  My son had to learn to use the tow rope when he got his lesson.   Which is crap because they need to learn how to use the lift and the rope uses a lot of energy that could be used elsewhere on the hill.

And it could be the instructor she got, maybe it's the resort, who knows why they didn't teach her more.  I think they like to go baby steps with newbs. 
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2012 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by snowj720

^^ I know a lot of the time they don't put beginners on a lift.  My son had to learn to use the tow rope when he got his lesson.   Which is crap because they need to learn how to use the lift and the rope uses a lot of energy that could be used elsewhere on the hill.

And it could be the instructor she got, maybe it's the resort, who knows why they didn't teach her more.  I think they like to go baby steps with newbs. 
It was new years eve at big bear...classes were packed.  But we paid for a full day class...they never even went down the hill once.  Only went up the magic carpet twice.  Full day.  All they showed them was how to stand and waddle.  

Luckily, the lift on our bunny hill is super slow and super low.  She went down the hill 2 or 3 times, then we hit the big hill.  She fell off the lift and cried, but then she had WAY more fun cause the hill was steeper so she was actually able to get edge hold and get some speed.  Mainly just charding down the hill, then heel edging to sit on her butt.  Funnies thing was she was blowing by noobs in their 20s!  
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2012 at 4:13pm
Damn, they did move slow.  Not even a run down the hill?  Maybe it was just that it was busy and a big group.  That would make it tough to teach a group of kids just learing.  I know when I tried to teach my son I was worried he'd fly into someone or just get hurt in general, can't imagine a bunch of little ones.

Sounds like she was getting the hang of it.  And to be brave with a steeper slope, that's a really good sign.  She's 7?  That's old enough to know that a steeper hill could be scary, but if she was charging it already...........Big smile
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2012 at 4:24pm
Falling off the lift doesn't sound very safe.  Shocked
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2012 at 4:46pm
She was 7 when she took the lesson last year, and it was a very large group.
She was 8 when we went this season, and she didn't fall off the lift.  She fell while getting off the lift.  It was going to fast and I didn't realize that her little legs were to short so her board wasn't touching the snow like it did on the bunny lift.  But I never let go, so when I looked back, she was still on the chair and starting to go around!  I just kept holding on and pretty much pulled her off the lift and she faceplanted!  
After that, she really did not want to snowboard anymore, but I told her we were at the top and we had to go down so she did it and loved in.  So much that we did 3 more runs on the bunny hill after lunch.  
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 10:38am
Sometime, kids don't get much out of group lessons because they're not getting enough attention. My son is considered a level 2 beginner because he can go straight down but doesn't know how to stop or turn. He went to Northstar's kids group all-day group lesson this past Sunday and was grouped with level 1 kids because they didn't have any other level 2 students. he was bored out of his mind after going down the magic carpet 3 times. good thing i went to check up on him because he was just laying on the snow and didn't want to do anything. i went to talk to him and he just wanted to go home. he wasn't too tired or too cold, he just didn't want to snowboard any more. i negotiated w/ him and he agreed to go down the magic carpet 2 more times before quitting for the day (I was bummed out that I just wasted $175 on the lesson...). he went down 1 time, and fell at the end of the run, laughing. i pointed that out and reminded him how much fun he has when he's snowboarding. so he went down the magic carpet again and i asked him if he's having fun. he said he was. the instrutor and other students were on the top of the magic carpet, so i told him to go up to meet them, so he did. it was time for lunch, so everyone went down the magic carpet, making it the 3rd time after our agreement to go down 2 time (yeah, he got tricked in to it). he said he wanted to go 18 more times after lunch. i asked the instructor to work on turns and stops in the afternoon so they put him with the level 3 class. he had a blast in the afternoon and bragged about doing a jump and landing w/o falling when i picked him up at the end of the day. he also said that he went down the magic carpet 19 times, exceeding what he promised. i'm just glad that the day was saved and i didn't waste the money for the lesson. i think i'm going to stick with teaching him myself from now on since it feels like he's more comfortable being with me and he learns more..it's also easier on the wallet Wink

here are some pics that epic mix took:
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2012 at 1:37pm
Lightning80...

Those are RAD pics and a great story... thanks for sharing your experience. I actually have not been able to take my daughter again this season... but she keeps telling me that she wants to go. Since the season is all but over... lookslike she will have to wait for next winter. No worries, and by then she will be a bit older and more balenced (fingers crossed). But I am still stoked she had a good experience with her first time on the hill. I look forward to teaching my girl how to turn and carve... like your son was, she currently just knows how to point it down hill and GO GO GO... not so good at stopping or turning, but I did train here to just sit down, which is one way to stop... but when she gets some speed going... stoping on her butt doesn't feel all that pleasent... so yeah, turning and stopping is next!

Cheers, bro!
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2012 at 3:24pm
My kid learned to ski this week.  Group lessons are great if you go the right time.  During weekends, group lessons are often over-crowded and you won't get the one on one time needed.  He went during a spring break kids camp and I felt like he was being held back by the other kids, but it allowed him to really focus in on stopping and learning to turn.  I know it's not snowboarding, but I'm getting him on the mountain and enjoying the snow.
After the third day of group lessons, he was on the lift and easily able to go down any green run.  It was super fun going out with him afterwards and he could've gone forever (if we didn't have to pick up his sister in town) LOL
Anyway, ever since he went, he's asked each day, "when do we get to go back to the snowy mountain"?  I am excited that he is excited to go back up.

I had talked to the instructors during my time there, and they said that Tuesdays (at our mountain) was the best day to go get group lessons.  Usually there's a maximum of 3 people in a class and there's no one else on the mountain.  Beginners get freaked out by too many people on the hill and notice others more than focusing on what they need to focus on.

I hope I will be able to make it back up there (with lessons) with him!  I choose lessons because I know I'm not the best instructor.  I don't have the patience needed to teach them effectively.
asdffdsa View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2012 at 5:21pm
I would recommend using a system like this if you want to teach your kids. It's what I use when I'm instructing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2RgGUnUY-c 

Remember to bend at the knees, not the hips and look where you're going 

Single group lessons are pretty much useless for beginner snowboarders. Either get a private lesson or sign up for a camp (once a week, or during Christmas Break or something)

Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2012 at 5:52pm
That's sort of like snowboard addiction.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2012 at 8:14am
$20 lessons and rentals at my hill this week (spring break), as well as 12 and under free tickets with an adult, so my 5 year old will get a ski lesson while my 7 year old and I go out for the last time this year. 
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2012 at 11:12am
Originally posted by MrMeaty

$20 lessons and rentals at my hill this week (spring break), as well as 12 and under free tickets with an adult, so my 5 year old will get a ski lesson while my 7 year old and I go out for the last time this year. 
Dang, it was $300 for full day rentals and lessons for three days at my hill last week (spring break kids camp).  The kids get three days of riding in, drop them off at 8, they do lessons from 10-12 and 1-3.  Season passes for groms (6 and under) is $20 though.  We ended up getting one of those for him, and "saved" $30 off the lessons.  
I am hoping to get the kids involved in the winter break camp and spring break camps next year.  My daughter will be 4 at that time (and old enough to do the lessons).  I am not sure I want to throw her into three back to back days during winter break though.  My son imploded when he was 4.5 (not enough food or sleep for him), so I don't want that happening to her.  Implosion for her is much more destructive, and no one needs that.  We'll see what happens next year!
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 5:09am
Turns out the $20 deal is only a 2 hour lesson, so I hope that's enough for her.  WE will make a half day of it and just have fun cause our hill closes this Sunday.  
Normally it's $110 for full day so prices seem about the same.  But I they had a special earlier in the season that was $350 or so for 3 days worth of lessons, but included a season's pass.  
Not gonna bother with that till 2 seasons from now because I will pick up my little one's season pass for next season for free since she is still under 6.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>