Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jvisaac View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Laos!

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japan and Prices
    Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 7:41pm
Planning a first time trip to Japan for early 2013.

Wondering how much money people spent on their trips in the past?
What an average day look like - money-wise?

nothing could be more expensive than Australia

Im a backpacker at heart so when i travel i budget a lot. This means cheap street food and backpacker accom (dorms). So really if anyone isnt shy about saying how much they spent during their stay it would be much appreciated? Particularly if you lived very cheaply.

Transport, food, accom and lifts passes? I currently own all my own gear.

thank you in advance!
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 8:29pm
I suggest you follow Ippolite's threads, very informative on Japan stuff.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 9:07pm
I think i used $4000 for a 10days trip there, everything from food, flights, accommodation and travel. 
Flight from Gold coast, QLD, landed in Narkita, Tokyo. spent the night there then headed to Hakuba in the Nagano region. Spent 7 days there in a backpackers hostel, boarded for 5 days. Managed to get a season pass for cheap off a guy leaving that day thou. And last 2 days were spent in Tokyo, doing a tour of the city. 
All of it was at backpackers hostels and cheap capsule hotels. Traveled via train and bus. 
(If you are from Aus and going to set places, you might qualify and be better off buying an "east rail pass" Look it up, nice and easy to get and saves you a bunch. Only downside is, you can only use it in pretty much, east coast of mainland japan. Prefect for going to tokyo and hakuba). 
Food over there is cheap if you buy japanese foods but if you can't handle it and start buying western foods, it might cost you a bit more. Alcohol isn't too pricey but watch out, if you start drinking and start eating snacks to go with you'll spend heaps in a small timeframe. So easy to get drunk over there. 
If only Queensland had snow...
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 9:14pm
http://www.trusnow.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38699
Long thread but must read. 

I think this is still in progress with more to be added but heres his guide list. 
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 9:31pm
I would definitely say EXCLUDING transport, youre looking at a base cost of around 10,000yen per day. It can be higher if youre going out at night as well, and can be lower if youre eating 7/11 cup ramen for lunch and scoring on multiple use passes. But 10k is a decent benchmark to start your plans from. That is contingent on the fact youre a cheapskate for accommodation. This is dorm prices and a lift pass (about 4000+4500 for lift+1500 for food).

Normal pension prices for japan really start from around 7000yen to 20,000 depending on what youre after. But usually this includes at least breakfast and possibly dinner too. If youre on your own, and youre hitting up a non hakuba/niseko westernised area (like shiga kogen for example) youll also be paying 1000yen+ extra on the advertised room fees for being a single person and losing them money on a double fee. 

So bottom range assume 10k/day. Mid range (which doesnt mean middle quality, it just means the brunt of prices for the lower cost pensions (what japanese people call B+Bs/motels) will be more like 15k for room, meals and ticket pppn. 

Also remember though that pensions usually have discount coupons for tickets. When you do book somewhere, ask about it. This stuff can save you a spot of cash. They also might let you use their season pass for cheap (or nothing at all if they like you). 

There are ways to bring the cost down, but to be safe work on the base assumption of 10k/day (again travel NOT INCLUDED) and go from there. 

m00m
t1npbo9 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 9:54pm
japan is definitely a costly place for travels, but its a lil cheapper now due to the earthquake and tsunami last yr
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 10:50pm
i dont think thats entirely accurate there dude. It might be the case that GETTING here has a few more bargains because people were put off coming this season, but when youre here life goes on and prices arent changing at all.  In fact, only really tohoku is doing worse this year and tohoku is primarily a domestic tourist area (hands up if you can name more than 2 resorts in he tohoku area! If you can you probably lived there). School trips have moved from places like alps bandaira to niigata, nagano, or kamakura (not ski related). 

This is really where the numbers have been hit. Not from foreign tourists, but from domestic tourism. 

m00m
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2012 at 12:19am
Originally posted by t1npbo9

japan is definitely a costly place for travels, but its a lil cheapper now due to the earthquake and tsunami last yr
Very informative 2 cents here. 
I haven't realised anything being cheaper since the disaster, they just have air flight sales more often to there, thats about it. 
Accommodation and travel are still the same. No idea on food, that might of gone up because of the disaster? 

Travelling on a whole is expensive, but i don't think japan is that costly compared to Europe or US and maybe a bit less then Canada. 
jvisaac View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Laos!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2012 at 2:33pm
$4000 over 10 days is a little more than i would like to spending while im there. Thanks you all the replies and a big thanks to ippollite and all your other threads. Yeah i love japanese food so food should be pretty cheap while im there. Why go to Japan to eat macdonalds (well maybe once to get something weird).

I feel like I should just book a ticket and maybe have an initial destination and just play it by ear from there. I usually dont book anything when i travel, just play it by ear. I dont know if id like the really touristy areas. Would much prefer a local less crowded scene.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2012 at 3:59pm
actually mcdonalds in japan is freaking awesome. I dunno if they make it with love, but its usually well presented, tasty, and addictive as hell. Honestly britains Maccie dees versus japans is a no contest. :) 

And you definitely can do that... but understand that once you move outside of places like niseko and hakuba (with a strong western presence) youre into a world of pensions, double rooms, group rooms (which cant be booked individually) and places that just dont do dorm accommodation. Youll also find fewer options in English, though sites like rakuten travel and jalan will give you a few options in less well known areas. 

Also consider that places like myoko akakan has an INSANELY good value deals. As does Ryuoo if i remember right (but both require a bit of japanese to score them). 

For best results try and stay in and around the tourist trap for the cheaper alternatives in truth. Also understand that niseko and hakuba are so well known internationally because they do in fact offer some of the best conditions and terrain in japan so its not like youre picking a lesser of two evils here. Theres a very compelling reason to hit both of these places regardless of whether or not it was hit up by thousands of bogans every year. ;)
m00m
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2012 at 5:13pm
Um fast food in America is much different from their counterpart in other countries especially Japan.  The menu is usually different and the taste is also different.  I don't know what it is and I'm usually a picky eater but when I was in Japan, I was able to eat just about everything even things that I normally dislike eating!  Maybe their food is laced with drugs.  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
jvisaac View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Laos!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2012 at 11:37pm
Ippolite, what do you mean by Pensions?

I speak basic Japanese but might work hard and try to get a bit more down.

Its so hard, the more i read the harder it becomes to decide on anything.

So there are basically 3 good areas (Nagano, Hokkaido and Niigata)?

Within these perfectures are towns (eg Hakuba, Nieseko, Myoko) and from each of these towns are mountains with lifts aka resorts (Ryuoo, Goryu)

Ok i think i got it haha
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2012 at 11:53pm
If you speak basic, even if its a little, it'll probably be enough for you to get around most areas. A lot of signage over there is in english and super easy to read. 
I'm japanese but brought up in Aus so i know how to talk but cannot read or write. Still got through very easy. 

Big thing is how to read a map over there. I was hell confused at the start but once you know how, its easy to get around. 
They don't do street names and such, more suburb number, block number and street number. Something like that from my vague memory. I'm sure you can look it up online. But yer, best to know how. 

From personal experience. Hakuba was really awesome. I'm going back there whenever i can. Bit westernised but it was still nice, from my understanding nieseko is pretty much based on tourists. (correct me i am wrong).
Hakuba was really easy to get there as well. Took ippy's advice and took the train to Nagano city, then bused the rest to hakuba station. 4 hours in total i think? 
http://www.hakubatourism.com/getting-here.html 
Probably the same if you were to go to niseko but most likely cheaper? 

Goryu and Hakuba 47 have a combined mountain pass, Pretty big in total and a pretty fun park there, more jumps then rails plus a halfpipe. 
Its fun and its the only one i went to. Totally regret it as I heard some others have treeline and off piste runs! 
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2012 at 12:19am
"pensions (what japanese people call B+Bs/motels)"
Its basically just a small family run hotel with 5-10 rooms (on average). It doesnt have dorm accommodation (for the most part, though ones that have spent a few years maybe with foreign guests may have a special dorm room). 

Usually you pay a fee on the full room, so the more people you get the lower the price. Its not so muhc that the room costs a fixed amount. For example: The single person price might be 6500, and 2 people might be 5000 yen each, and for 3 maybe 4500pp. Its more just that theres a minimum charge on the room. 

Theyre just local small scale hotels in effect and usually the budget option for japanese families or small groups. 

For western backpackers like myself they are the expensive budget choice when no real budget choices exist :) (If you can speak or read japanese though youll probably find theyre even cheaper than the shit we usually accept because they accommodate foreign tourists and you can book it online. 

Take for example the deal i talked about in the akakan review, or the one im trying to score right now at ryuoo (the black box deal - http://www.blackbox-info.jp/ryuoo/ ) But have to book the blasted thing by phone because the website is being arsey about it...

m00m
jvisaac View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Laos!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2012 at 1:16am
hahaha thats pretty sneaky. yeah i can read hiragana and katakana but i just need a dictionary by my side to decipher everything. Kanji is a whole world i dont want to visit though, i no nothing.

thanks for all the advice.

Do you live and work in Japan?
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2012 at 1:53am
yeah, live in saitama (just north of tokyo - though im about 3/4s the way up the prefecture). 
m00m
 Post Reply Post Reply