Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 11>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
New 2012 setup for outerwear

Online Status: Offline
  Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skateboarding
    Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 5:33pm
All right i havent found a skateboarding thread just yet. I feel like ive seen one but it might have died down. I looked on google and nothing popped up so i just made one.

I just started skating again! I had layed off because i wasnt good and just didnt really want to skate anymore. Now im back in love! Skating brings back so many memories to me now. Im just saying that this thread is all about skatebording.

Say the equipment you have for skating whos your favorite skater and why you like skateboarding and than this thread will take off!
11 Dc lauri pro tone, 11 Rome s90 bindings

Check out www.wonsnow.com
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 5:43pm
started when i was 4... 23 now.  been burnt out on it for probably 5 years.  these days all i ride are cruiser boards, like krooked zig zaggers.  same concave as normal, but a hair wider and usually cut in a fun shape.  that + 8" indy highs, 62-64mm 78A longboard wheels, and you're good.  cruise around everywhere fast, pop up and down curbs and other features, grind curbs, do whatever.  i don't do it nearly as often as i snowboard but it's the way i hang on to skating besides doing the shop thing, and i guess it also emulates the way i snowboard as well.. just cruising around going fast, seeing where we end up, hitting features along the way.  pretty stoked to start cruising around again soon.

i have a bunch of photos and video but i don't feel like digging it up.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by spenser

started when i was 4... 23 now.  been burnt out on it for probably 5 years.  these days all i ride are cruiser boards, like krooked zig zaggers.  same concave as normal, but a hair wider and usually cut in a fun shape.  that + 8" indy highs, 62-64mm 78A longboard wheels, and you're good.  cruise around everywhere fast, pop up and down curbs and other features, grind curbs, do whatever.  i don't do it nearly as often as i snowboard but it's the way i hang on to skating besides doing the shop thing, and i guess it also emulates the way i snowboard as well.. just cruising around going fast, seeing where we end up, hitting features along the way.  pretty stoked to start cruising around again soon.

i have a bunch of photos and video but i don't feel like digging it up.
Dang you have an action packed life. I stared when i was 6 or 7 and i am 15 now and im loving life. Skating brings back so many memories. I dont even know why i layed it off for a year! Im happy im back!

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 5:55pm
haha it might seem that way, but i don't feel that i have an action packed life.  i feel pretty bored a lot of the time, i'm just good at capturing my daily adventures in photos and video.

i dug up a couple videos for now..

i think this was 2 summers ago, maybe 3.. i filmed this and my friend (the skater) edited it.  just a cruisy longboard edit.

2 years ago just messing around at the park one night.. this is after i'd been burn out for a few years and would push around on my regular board for a half hour maybe once a month, haha.  i'm in the grey hoodie.

a mellow longboard edit with me (filming, and in the black hoodie later on) from 2-3 years ago

two randoms videos from the park the fall before last

3 summers ago, got up at 4am and started our skate day shortly after.  all of this was before roughly 11am i think

two years ago, my bud ryan who i've known for 12 years.  we made a couple of these videos and i think i should pick up the series soon, he's a blast to skate with.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 5:58pm
you can find some more recent skate edits here on my friend michan's vimeo page, featuring our usual group of friends at the park and whatnot.

feel free to browse my profile as well.. if you search "juneau alaska skate" on vimeo it should bring up most of mine... i tend to tag them all pretty much the same

and here is our shop profile which has the entire video by parts from 2 years ago, and it's pretty good.

here's a post on my blog of all the parts together

luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 6:09pm
Jeez you guys are really good. I wish i could do all the tricks you guys do. Im so happy that i landed a heelflip in a giant game of skate that i got second in. I was like first day back and im learning back tricks! Hell yeah!

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 6:19pm
shit, i haven't done a kiclflip or heelflip in so long.... i don't have nearly the same muscle memory for skating as i used to.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by spenser

shit, i haven't done a kiclflip or heelflip in so long.... i don't have nearly the same muscle memory for skating as i used to.
Yea when i grabbed my board today to do an ollie i looked like i just started skating. Within 5 minutes i was able to ollie 2 decks again.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 6:51pm
ollies have always been my favorite.. not necessarily for the trick alone, although i do love a good floaty boned ollie, but for the fact you can literally take it anywhere.  up, own, over, through, wherever.  i was getting pretty decent at switch ollie stuff as well, i was doing switch ollies and switch 180s over stacks of wood about 2 feet high, which i guess isn't much, but for someone that never skates switch and barely skates at all haha..

if i skate regular boards, i guess all i'd want is about a 12" high box.  super mellow and easy to get on to, but you can mess around and do all kinds of little combos.
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote nautika96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 8:40pm
my dad was telling me about some trick in the 70's he would do on his board. he would basically be barefooted and ollie over 4-5 skateboards with trucks, stacked on top of each other. pretty tame, but back then im sure it was sweet to see.

spenser's talk about ollies reminds me of the style they had back in the day with just ollies and simple grabs.
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 10:01pm
I was at the park and my friend busts out a miller flip on the half pipe!!
It's funny cause he secretly practiced it for like 2 weeks until he was sure he could show me up.
sleeepili View Drop Down
Local
Local
catching air at bear

Quote sleeepili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2012 at 4:44am
started in grade school, around 4th i think, i a janky nash skateboard. the wood was crap, just plywood stacked together, and the trucks were plastic. never really got too into skateboarding though, did mostly bmx
ChiTownRon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 1:42pm
Been skating for about 12 years now. Ended up buying 8 Rasa Libre boards off a friend for 200$ recently. So I'm ready for skate season.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by ChiTownRon

Been skating for about 12 years now. Ended up buying 8 Rasa Libre boards off a friend for 200$ recently. So I'm ready for skate season.
Nice!

Hey who rides tight trucks?
Or who rides loose?

luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 6:19pm
Cant wait were filming tomorrow!

dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 7:32pm
I skate! been skating for about 6 years now! all year round, while i wait for the snow:D
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 2:46am
After an almost 20 year absence I started skating again last summer.  Didn't do it much though cuz I suck.  20 years and 70lbs. have not been kind to my skating abilities. 

I've been out 4 times so far this spring, last Friday I hit a nice pool around here.  Mind you, back in my day we didn't have pools and skateparks around, we skated street.  Since I'm old I figured pool is all I need these days (I'm not ready to do any huge gaps or stair sets).  Anyhow, I got a little ahead of my skill set and bad things happened.
Grinch View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Grinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 4:58am
I've been skating since I was about 7. Skateboaring is what introduced me to snowboarding and bmx. I haven't ridden a skateboard for about 2 years now. It got tucked away in the basement and overtime I forgot I had a board. Hopefully this someone I will get back on the board a and hit up the local park.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 4:32pm
I love skating so much now. I cant wait to hit up chicago!

Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 10:54pm
I started skating when I was 6 years old but skated for only a few years. My cousin got me into it when he visited over the summer. Always showing me new tricks. But the only one I was able to do was ollies. I'm almost 32 and kinda want to relive my childhood days, so I was thinking about getting a longboard and ride around in the city. But with the high volume of cars and my shtty skating ability I think I'd end up getting myself killed.
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2012 at 4:37am
I haven't touched my skateboard in a few years, I just might pick it up again this spring.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2012 at 7:48am
Originally posted by Von44

I started skating when I was 6 years old but skated for only a few years. My cousin got me into it when he visited over the summer. Always showing me new tricks. But the only one I was able to do was ollies. I'm almost 32 and kinda want to relive my childhood days, so I was thinking about getting a longboard and ride around in the city. But with the high volume of cars and my shtty skating ability I think I'd end up getting myself killed.
I take my longboard to quiet parking structures at night or in the early mornings. I love charging and sinking into turns as tight as I can. You just gotta make sure no cars come up when you're going down. BTW, my board is a flexdex 29" clear. Everything's stock except the bones super reds I put in.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2012 at 12:41pm
mm I own and frequently use my sector 9 mini..but I wouldn't consider myself a skater! I just love to cruise and carve.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2012 at 1:13pm
QUOTE]
I take my longboard to quiet parking structures at night or in the early mornings. I love charging and sinking into turns as tight as I can. You just gotta make sure no cars come up when you're going down.  [/QUOTE]

Sadly that's the closest thing to a hill we have around here.  I have to drive at least 45 minutes to find a nice actual hill.  But parking structures are cool cuz you can still ride those in the rain.  The place I hit up was an old skate spot back in the day.  There's a nice gap, some curbs to trick on, not sure if ppl still skate it like that what with all these parks now a days.  I'm too old to do the gap and stuff so I just long (or short) board it now. 
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2012 at 7:30pm
I just realized that my skateboard doesnt like me! I sprained my wrist 3 times in less than one hour! Ahhh and almost got a concussion!

xxblondiee View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
<3

Quote xxblondiee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 1:47am
my boyfriend makes skateboard videos...
He made a ten tricks of a Welsh skater called Steve King, within a week of it being on Youtube, Steve got sponsored by DC and Jart.

Watch the ten tricks here. HELL OF A RIDER!
Steve King - Ten Tricks - Drewsutton2
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 5:25pm
^ Thats some good editing. what software does he use?

rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 7:00pm
for those of you who have skateboarded and snowboarded, how similar are the two in terms of learning how to ride. I just learned how to snowboard, this is my 2nd season. I was just wondering if it would be easier to learn how to skateboard now that I can snowboard, compared to me fooling around on a skateboard 4 yrs ago and it was hard.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 7:31pm
After learning how to snowboard, I tried skateboarding and found it a little bit easier to learn than before I started snowboarding. You get used to balancing on your board so it makes snowboarding and skateboarding similar. However, since the skateboard isn't attached to your feet, it's kind of different. Both sports are fun and if you like snowboarding, I'm pretty sure you'll also like skateboarding. (:
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 11:11am
I think that having been a skater for years helped me feel and learn snowboarding at a much faster rate of progression.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 4:37pm
I assumed since they both are boards with similar uses, it would help that I know how to snowboard now. But just like rox357 said about the skateboard not being attached to your feet.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 5:19pm
Im so bummed. I can barely walked! I hate down handrails! Cry

KellyBoy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote KellyBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2012 at 1:55pm
I just bought me a longboard and try it out until snowboarding season comes back around. Anyone on here longboard alot?
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2012 at 2:34pm
I just bought a board for my bulldog, does that count?   
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2012 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by KellyBoy

I just bought me a longboard and try it out until snowboarding season comes back around. Anyone on here longboard alot?

Not enough.  But I do have one and get on it a few times a summer.  When I can get a few bucks together I really want to get a freebord.

if it doesn't embed.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2012 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by snowj720

Not enough.  But I do have one and get on it a few times a summer.  When I can get a few bucks together I really want to get a freebord.

if it doesn't embed.
Ive seen those before. Never tried one out. I just feel so sketchy on them. Like your about to eat it and your feet are in there so you cant run it out. You just hope for the best! LOL

snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 12:02pm
^^You're not totally in a binding though.  You can bail out, it just looks like it wouldn't be as easy as a regular skateboard.  A helmet would be a must for me on one of those.  I wish we had a dealer around here that I could test one out at.  If it's as much like snowboarding (control-wise) as it looks I think I'd do alright.  Maybe not doing huge gaps and bombing down tight spaces, but it might be fun in a pool (bowl).
One of these days I'll get one.  After I take care of my dryer, and car troubles, yadda, yadda.  Although I want the next frivilous thing I get to be a trainer kite so I can start kite boarding the summer away.
chickenricekid View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chickenricekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 12:06pm
Longboard, but Loaded Dervish Flex 2 and Paris 180s, and big zigs!
KellyBoy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote KellyBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 2:30pm

if it doesn't embed.

Wow, that's pretty awesome. I never heard of freebord. I will have to invest in one in the near future. I have to show my friends this.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 4:19pm

^^You're not totally in a binding though.  You can bail out, it just looks like it wouldn't be as easy as a regular skateboard.  A helmet would be a must for me on one of those.  I wish we had a dealer around here that I could test one out at.  If it's as much like snowboarding (control-wise) as it looks I think I'd do alright.  Maybe not doing huge gaps and bombing down tight spaces, but it might be fun in a pool (bowl).
One of these days I'll get one.  After I take care of my dryer, and car troubles, yadda, yadda.  Although I want the next frivilous thing I get to be a trainer kite so I can start kite boarding the summer away.
Ohh id be in like catchers gear to be fully protective! Wink

snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 2:52am
^^ Right.   After my little fall skating a few weeks back my mom asked me if I was going to wear a suit of armor. 

Last year when I hopped back on a skateboard I wore crashpads, helmet, wrist guards, knee/elbow pads.  The only other people at the parks that wore that kind of protection were the young young kids.  I looked like an overgrown 6 year old.LOL
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 2:49pm
Watch this

timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 7:28pm
it's been awhile since ive skated but i broke out my old enjoi board today and landed one kickflip-not bad for a working stiff
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by timpiper

it's been awhile since ive skated but i broke out my old enjoi board today and landed one kickflip-not bad for a working stiff
Nice better than i can do. I havent skated in like a month and its killing me. But i have to concentrate on one sport at a time. 

luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2012 at 6:17pm
So sick yet so sketchy!

TTowncrazy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Keystone 2012

Quote TTowncrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2012 at 8:36pm
Im thinking about getting a new deck, any suggestions?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2012 at 12:20am
honestly, just pickone that's the width you want, a shape you like, and a company/graphic that you think is cool.  as long as it's a normal brand you would find in a real skateshop, it'll be fine.
Nire333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nire333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2012 at 4:00am
Just took out my old Krown deck. It has pretty bad bearings and wheels but it is fine for cruising around my neighborhood. Pulled some easy pop shuv it's and some 180's. It was pretty fun. But I was surprised at how tired I actually got.
Snowboardr13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Snowboardr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2012 at 4:55am
I havent really skateboarded much over the past years, but im kinda getting back into mainly due to the fact that BMX is just to damn expensive
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2012 at 6:01am
TTown:I echo what spenser says a bit about just find a size that works best for you, and ride it. A real popular size is 7.75...I am a huge fan of 8's. While it honestly doesn't matter TOO much, I have always skated Alien Workshop, or Habitat boards. There are some very slight differences in shape of boards from different companies, some use different glues, so on and so on. I just have always had really good luck with AW and Habitat.

If you are just starting out, try out blank decks. Much cheaper, and if you eff up the board, you won't feel so bad about it. Back in the day when I used to skate every day, and was going through about a board every 2 weeks, I would always have a stockpile of blanks in the back of the car. Sure I still rocked the habitats, but after you break so many in a row, it's nice to hop on a cheap board from time to time LOL

All this being said, I don't skate anymore. I mean, I will cruse around to a friends house on my board if I am feeling frisky, but as far as going to the park, or doing tricks, my days are over on that. Too old, too fat, too many past injuries. I like snow, that shit is soft...hahah.

On a side note, anyone here ever visit the Berrics Site? Probably my favorite skate site out there. Some really cool shit on that site. Check it out.. http://theberricscanteen.com/2012/04/14

And a little vid to start your day. One of my all time favorite skaters, Arto Saari. This vid is OLD, from the Flip Skateboard video "Sorry".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>