Skateboarding

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 678910 11>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skateboarding
    Posted: Aug/27/2012 at 5:40am
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2012 at 5:49am
I remember watching that video, Of Troglodytes and Men, its a good one. You should have posted that one to the longboarding thread instead.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2012 at 7:42am
I will post it there as well, totally forgot about that thread.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2012 at 6:44am
OK, so I've got a skateboard and a helmet, plus there is a skate park right by my house.  What else do I need?  Oh yeah, I also have some brand new skate shoes coming soon.  Will I look like a tool if I wear elbow/knee pads?  Part of me doesn't care because I'd rather protect my body than look cool.
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2012 at 6:47am
^ All you need now is someone to skate with or meet someone at the park. Because skating by yourself isn't nearly as much fun. 
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2012 at 6:55am
I don't think people will think your a tool. In my opinion the real tools are the people who don't wear a helmet or anything. They might think they look cool but they won't look too cool when they get brain damage.
movesmusic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote movesmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2012 at 8:55am
Never concern yourself with what others think.  Wear pads if they make you feel comfortable.

This is me with a couple of the kids I'm currently instructing...

Board to death.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2012 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by thisisjoebro

^ All you need now is someone to skate with or meet someone at the park. Because skating by yourself isn't nearly as much fun. 

I love skating by myself.  The best thing about someone to skate with though is that it's nice to have someone else to do the driving when you need to make a run to the ERLOL  Skating alone is like meditation for me, but it did suck driving a half hour to the ER when I was bleeding and woozy.Confused  Which was my fault for not having my helmet on that day.
Nater43 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Nater43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2012 at 8:11pm
Just bought myself a skateboard a few days ago. Gives me something to toy around with until the winter hits every year. Seems like a ton of fun, just sad that I'm getting into it so late.  
| Boards: '08 Burton Custom 156 | Boots: '08 Burton Freestyle | Bindings: '09 Burton Missions |
               '10 Reverse Crew 155
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2012 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by snowj720

I love skating by myself.  The best thing about someone to skate with though is that it's nice to have someone else to do the driving when you need to make a run to the ERLOL  Skating alone is like meditation for me, but it did suck driving a half hour to the ER when I was bleeding and woozy.Confused  Which was my fault for not having my helmet on that day.

Yeah man I dont think it's a good idea driving with a head injury haha. I'm glad you're okay though. I understand, its like that for a lot of people. I am fine skating by myself too but I'd rather do it with my buddies because I learn so much more. And I don't get frustrated because its a positive vibe.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2012 at 9:06am
Originally posted by robnezz23

OK, so I've got a skateboard and a helmet, plus there is a skate park right by my house.  What else do I need?  Oh yeah, I also have some brand new skate shoes coming soon.  Will I look like a tool if I wear elbow/knee pads?  Part of me doesn't care because I'd rather protect my body than look cool.

btw, how much should I expect to spend on a set of knee pads, elbow pads, and wrist guards?  I've got a helmet already :) no worries there.  What are some good brands, and where can I buy em?  Probably not Big5 or Dicks, right?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2012 at 8:38pm

btw, how much should I expect to spend on a set of knee pads, elbow pads, and wrist guards?  I've got a helmet already :) no worries there.  What are some good brands, and where can I buy em?  Probably not Big5 or Dicks, right?

Dude, they are pads, I think just as long as they are comfortable your good. I don't think you need brand name pads unless you really want to. 
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2012 at 6:39pm

Good skateboarding right there. This dude rips.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 7:37am
I got pads from a rollerblading company. They work as well as my old skate pads, but were way cheaper. I also don't care what people think if I wear pads. I'm tired of injuries, especially preventable ones.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2012 at 4:26pm
^ I did the same, even wear my wrist guards when I go out because damn am I sketchy out there.  I think the rollerblading pads tend to be lower profile than skate pads (at least as far a knee pads go for sure).  But they've protected me from worse than what I ended up with many a time.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2012 at 5:27pm
I think skateboard pads are so huge because they have vert skating in mind. Like pools and mega pipes.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2012 at 5:52pm
Yeah, that's the ones I'm thinking of.  I would like to get a good set of knee pads (pause) for my pool days.  I totally have never done that smooth fall onto the knees, though not sure I always could have even if I wanted.  Plus my legs just don't fold under me like they're supposed to, hurts my bad ankle too much.
But back to the point, yeah, roller blading pads are meant for people that are roller blading and how far are you going to fall cruising by the beach with your walkman on the waist of your spandex?LOL 
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2012 at 6:54pm
I need to get a pair of knee pads for longboarding. trying standup slides and bailing is no fun.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2012 at 9:34am
Are there some knee and elbow pads that I could use for skating, and then turn around and use them for mountain biking too?  Would any pads suffice?  Just trying to be cost efficient here...
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2012 at 10:02am

Are there some knee and elbow pads that I could use for skating, and then turn around and use them for mountain biking too?  Would any pads suffice?  Just trying to be cost efficient here...

I don't see why not, probably look into Fox moto gears or something.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
whitejawz1 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote whitejawz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2012 at 12:05pm
I Skated a Long Time Ago Like When I Was Ten And I Think I May Get Back In Too It If Any One Wants To Rind With Me Pm Me
dpboarder98 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2012 at 12:13pm
When I longboard I usually wear knee pads, unless I'm just cruising around. If I'm trying to do slides on rough roads I usually break out the elbow pads too. Just one look at my knee pads show how much they have saved my knees. Huuuuge gashes in them. But the pads I have are pro-tec street pads and they are comfortable and minimalistic enough to probably ride a mountain bike with too, Robnezz. And they are really cheap. I got elbow and knees for around $40.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2012 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by steezemisterr

I need to get a pair of knee pads for longboarding. trying standup slides and bailing is no fun.

Hell, I was thinking just for the speeds.  It's not terrible fast, but when I was bombing hills last summer at 30mph I thought, "Damn, I would hate to hit a rock right now".....or make a wrong move period.  I used to wear helmet and all pads when I was doing the downhill, if I was trying slides I think they'd be on too. 
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2012 at 5:50pm
http://www.freedomdolly.com/longboard-completes/stoney-panda-green/

Just got myself a new longie. Gonna take it for a cruise over the next few days hope I don't mess myself
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2012 at 6:07pm
This is the longboard I have, although I don't ride it often cause I'm usually just skating at the park.

motoxninja80 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Vail

Quote motoxninja80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2012 at 7:44pm
I love going on road trips to find skateparks across the country, those are the best road trips.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 4:04pm

This is the longboard I have, although I don't ride it often cause I'm usually just skating at the park.

I'd ride her everydayBig smile  I think that's the style longboard I need for my creaky old ass.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 6:52pm
^Yeah man Laura (boards name) rides pretty darn well and looks just as good. I get some dirty looks though when I bring her to public places dressed like that.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 3:59am
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote movesmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 9:31am
Board to death.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by movesmusic

David Gonzalez is sick.

I was mindblown when i watched that video yesterday. He really raised the bar with this one.
Local
Local
Vail

Quote motoxninja80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2012 at 2:31am
David's video was just too insane. He's soo good. gnarliest ender i've seen. I don't even think a snowboarder would've 50-50 that 34 stair kink rail.
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2012 at 3:13am
Holy shitsnacks that guy is INSANE! That was crazy. I was cringing so much because of all of those brutal falls.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2012 at 7:39pm
Yeah David and Aaron Homoki are my favorite skateboarders to watch right now.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2012 at 1:54pm

Yeah David and Aaron Homoki are my favorite skateboarders to watch right now.

Tony Hawk is my favorite skateboarder to watch.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2012 at 7:10pm
His son Riley Hawk rips also, but he skates street mostly
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote movesmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 5:51am
Board to death.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 5:36pm
got pivot fakies down today. super happy cause its a really fun trick. 5 0 fakie next.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote movesmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 3:44am

got pivot fakies down today. super happy cause its a really fun trick. 5 0 fakie next.

Down on what?

Btw, that Maloof joint I posted sucked a bit.  I mean, I love watching skating I've never seen, but for a $12.50 theater experience, you'd think they'd incorporate full sound and whoever was in control of the camera sitch, SUCKED...  I mean REALLY sucked.  Sure they only had two days to make it happen, but the Maloof camp has way too much money to drop some garbage like that.  I wonder if their other events (live music, etc) suck like this...
Board to death.
Local
Local
Vail

Quote motoxninja80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 7:05am

I've wanted to learn that trick so badly
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2012 at 5:19pm
When I say down I mean I have it consistently. But it was on a 4 foot quarter at my local park. 

ninja, do you have feeble fakies? If not, learn those and I'm sure you'll have pivot fakies soon.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2012 at 1:21am
my good friend ryan cortes is living in spain right now and just put together this video that he filmed, only at famous spots.... damn.  i'm a big fan of ryan's video style, but maybe it's because i know him.  either way..

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2012 at 5:41pm
^ this usually bugs me on skate videos, but the lack of audio and just the music really works for this video haha
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2012 at 10:50am
I just put some spitfire cheap shots on my trick board cause I had $6 cash on me. Don't like them at all. They feel funny. I think I'll stick to reds.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
Local
Local
Vail

Quote motoxninja80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 9:35am
Dude I don't even have feeble fakes. I did them a few times on a very small quarter pipe, but never on a large quarter pipe. it looks so sick when people do 5-0 grinds to fakie.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 3:42pm
got 5 0 fakie two days ago. can only get them in the mini though, its freaky on a bigger ramp.

You should get feeble fakies down then, they arent hard. Its just scary to trust yourself to go back down haha.
Local
Local
Vail

Quote motoxninja80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 2:13pm
yeah that whole trust factor is the problem I have. I get into them fine. just trying to build the confidence to roll back in his hard for me.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 2:26pm
word. took a while for me also
Local
Local
Vail

Quote motoxninja80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2012 at 12:12pm
but I got back smith grinds on tranny for weeks though
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2012 at 8:47pm
Thats sweet I need to learn them. Every time I try it, my front foot touches the ramp and sticks. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>