Quick Login: Forgot password?

Skateboarding

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <12345 11>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Online Status: Offline
  Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skateboarding
    Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 2:17am
Well I'm going to have to check out whiskeymilitia and some ceramics for my long board.

I was like MrMeaty in the buying of cheaper bearings.  Mine was just because I think the most expensive ones available in the late 80's/early 90's were maybe $25.  $90 for bearings is crazy.  Hell I thought I was stylin' now with some abec 7's LOL
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 4:44am
I'm building a board for my boy and he's going to get the cheapest crap available until he learns how to ride!  Well, he's not getting an airwalk deck from walmart.  I'll get him a blank, but he'll be rocking abec3!  

I really need to check out my buddy's long board.  He says he loves it, and that will help me decide if when I get my board a deck, if I get a new street deck for me or a long board.  
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
New 2012 setup for outerwear

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 3:18pm
^Long board no dobut. Or even a freeboard.
11 Dc lauri pro tone, 11 Rome s90 bindings

Check out www.wonsnow.com
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 4:51am
No freeboard for me.  It's not hilly at all here in Las Vegas, so I will have to push myself around.  Not going to be to easy to push around strapped into a freeboard!  
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 9:16am
found a skate park close to my work/home that has some really good surfaces.  stuff still way bigger than I can hit, but rolling the little transitions, getting used to speed, etc is cool. 

Ollies are going great, moving a little faster each day and rolling away from landings with some consistency now.  current shoes will not last the month, though.  
-zakk

luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 3:31pm
^ Hahah thats skating shoes for you! Wink

snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by MrMeaty

I'm building a board for my boy and he's going to get the cheapest crap available until he learns how to ride!  Well, he's not getting an airwalk deck from walmart.  I'll get him a blank, but he'll be rocking abec3!  

I really need to check out my buddy's long board.  He says he loves it, and that will help me decide if when I get my board a deck, if I get a new street deck for me or a long board.  

My son had a spiderman board as his first board (kmart board).  Same thing.  Show me you can at least ride it and like doing it enough to justify a good board. 

As far as a board for you.  Those moose boards on ebay were like 40-50ish and they had longboards (pintail) and street (semi-old and new school setups).  You could get a complete longboard and blank (street) deck for probably like $60.    Just a thought.

And the skateshoe topic above.  I feel ya.   Back in the day I used to rock chucks (which were like $15 back then) and shoe goo squares of old bike tubes on as "ollie pads".  Vision used to have their version of the chuck with little oval rubber pads.  I loved those all black visions. 
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by snowj720

My son had a spiderman board as his first board (kmart board).  Same thing.  Show me you can at least ride it and like doing it enough to justify a good board. 

As far as a board for you.  Those moose boards on ebay were like 40-50ish and they had longboards (pintail) and street (semi-old and new school setups).  You could get a complete longboard and blank (street) deck for probably like $60.    Just a thought.
That sounds ideal for him. My first deck was a zero that my cousin gave me and i was really happy. Still have it today.... somewhere LOL

MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 4:56am
I'm not sure what that spiderman board was like, but there is no way I'm teaching my kid on one of those $30 "toy" skateboards.  The ones I saw didn't even have concave and the trucks were horrible!  
Not sure what moose decks are either, but at blankdecks.com, you can get REAL skateboards, and their completes start at $50.  
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 10:43am
The city of Portland in Oregon just built an awesome skate plaza near my house.
Its a great park, but parents think its a playground.
They bring their 1 year old kid that just learned to walk and they give him a 1 foot long board.
It surprises me that parents think that its okay.
Boards fly out all the time and if one nails him... that would be bad!
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 10:52am
@MrMeaty-  The spiderman board was like a nash (or veriflex or whatever).   My son had a habit of wanting to do things, not liking them, then never doing them again (a practice his mother encouraged probably because I wanted him to follow through on things and she.....well, this ain't the place for that drama).  He did end up skating for a few years.  We got him a nice sector 9 longboard, his momma would buy him street boards all the time (despite not needing new boards).  I took him to an indoor park a few years ago, he broke his ankle.  He hasn't rode since. 
Moose boards are just the blank brand they had for sale on ebay.  9 ply canadian maple, yadda yadda.  Decent blanks.  I can tell a difference between a nice board and the ones I have, but they're still miles above a kmart special.  Their completes were right around 50 also.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 11:20am
Whiskey has their own boards and wheels for cheap.

Snowboardr13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Snowboardr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 3:37pm
I havent been doing much skateboarding recently, I broke my old board,(zero complete) and just havent bought a new one just yet. But I'm thinking about buying a new one. Any suggestions?
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Snowboardr13

I havent been doing much skateboarding recently, I broke my old board,(zero complete) and just havent bought a new one just yet. But I'm thinking about buying a new one. Any suggestions?

If you break boards often, get a Almost Impact board. They last longer and there is a 1 month warranty on them just in case.

If you don't break boards often, I really like how Habitats feel.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 11:24am
@snowj720:  gotcha.  Nash was one of those brands like vision and airwalk that were low end pro
but diffinitely better then those crap walmart decks!  And I know just what you mean about trying making sure they like it before investing money into it.  I figure $50 is about what I want to spend for him to find out. If not, he can use the board for something else, or I can use it!  LOL! 

Originally posted by luv2shred

funny you should mention that, because in their private stash for the next week they have their brand decks for $20 and their wheels for $12.  No trucks, though...

luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 11:36am

@snowj720:  gotcha.  Nash was one of those brands like vision and airwalk that were low end pro
but diffinitely better then those crap walmart decks!  And I know just what you mean about trying making sure they like it before investing money into it.  I figure $50 is about what I want to spend for him to find out. If not, he can use the board for something else, or I can use it!  LOL! 

funny you should mention that, because in their private stash for the next week they have their brand decks for $20 and their wheels for $12.  No trucks, though...

Haha yeah thats where i saw it. Just totally forgot to post the site for people to see but you got that covered.

snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 5:25pm
Damn, that's next week?  I didn't check it today and of course they post a deal I'll be getting on.  I'm checking that place like giveawayoftheday now.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 5:02am

Damn, that's next week?  I didn't check it today and of course they post a deal I'll be getting on.  I'm checking that place like giveawayoftheday now.
No, that's NOW and goes through the next week.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 6:38am
Word.  I gotta get my ass on there after work today.  I'm sure my wife will understand me getting some new stuff.  I'll just use her "I had to get it because it was on sale" reasoning.  Or maybe not tell her since then she'll think it's a green light to go hog wild.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 10:58am
Man, I'm kinda bummed.  I was going to pick up some of those ceramics.  GONE!  Some other good deals.  I would have probably picked up a element deck, but damn my big feet (they only had an 8 and 7.5).

They had some complete cruisers there Meaty for like 65.  Did you see those? 

If anyone ever sees freebord up there for a big discount don't hold out on a bruthaBig smile

It's sad that companies like Airwalk and Vision are low end now, they used to be legit back in the day.  Kind of like Mongoose bikes, they used to be the shit in the 80's.  Now you can get them at any sporting goods store.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 2:59pm
Yeah i hate these small boards. I really need a 8.25 or around there. I hate having big feet but oh well. Sometimes its cheaper for a wider board because no one buys them! LOL

ChiTownRon View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2012 at 2:04pm

Yeah i hate these small boards. I really need a 8.25 or around there. I hate having big feet but oh well. Sometimes its cheaper for a wider board because no one buys them! LOL

I have size 12 and usually skate 7.75 with no problem at all. I'm considering riding 8's, but last time I did, I didn't like how my flip tricks were turning out but I did like how I had more control on my grinds and landings.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2012 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by ChiTownRon

I have size 12 and usually skate 7.75 with no problem at all. I'm considering riding 8's, but last time I did, I didn't like how my flip tricks were turning out but I did like how I had more control on my grinds and landings.
Sometimes you have to sacrifice something to get something else. I was really happy to upgrade to a bigger deck. Like you said about the flips. You"ll get used to it trust me. I love how much control i have on my back boards. Definetly worth switching. 

MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2012 at 12:51pm
Took my deck out this weekend and cruising around is fine, but after my first ollie I realized that this is yet another sport I will have to loose weight for.  My center of gravity is so off!

snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2012 at 1:23pm
^^LOLLOLLOLLOL  Not in a bad way, in a "I know exactly how you feel" way.  Big smile

The few times I rode this spring I was close to 240 (lost about 10 since then).  When I was in my hey day I was 160ish.  It's like the 17 year old me is trying to skate with a bag of quik-cret tied to my waist.  And a bunch of past injuries too. 

About the only "trick" I can still do is shuv-its (can still do them fakie surprisingly).  I can't get enough pop to get a kickflip.  Time for tubby bye-bye. 
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2012 at 4:01pm
I know what you mean!  When I used to skate I was about 145.  I wanted to get my current 195 down to a manageable 175 by the BEGINNING of last season as the boards I purchased were a little smaller then my current weight, thinking I'd be loosing.  I didn't.  But my snowboards are good up to 185, so they are just a little more flexy then they should be.  

Skating, on the other hand, I think requires quite a bit less girth so it give me motivation.  Especially if my boy starts skating.  
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2012 at 4:35pm
I cant wait till summer comes. A ton of edits will be made.

Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 11:01am

I cant wait till summer comes. A ton of edits will be made.

Sounds nice. I'll eventually be picking up a Sony nex-5n to do some filming. Only thing that sucks, is out of the big crew I had to skate with during my teen years, about only 1 friend still skates and only sometimes. So can't really get anyone to film for me. If I were to do a video, I'd have to do it with a tripod.

Really sucks not having a crew to skate with anymore. Just isn't the same skating alone. And as of lately, it's been cold. And if it's not cold, it's raining a lot. Hopefully by next week it should warm up and be somewhat dry. Can't snowboard or skate because of this weather, i'm going insane. Haha.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 11:11am

I know what you mean!  When I used to skate I was about 145.  I wanted to get my current 195 down to a manageable 175 by the BEGINNING of last season as the boards I purchased were a little smaller then my current weight, thinking I'd be loosing.  I didn't.  But my snowboards are good up to 185, so they are just a little more flexy then they should be.  

Skating, on the other hand, I think requires quite a bit less girth so it give me motivation.  Especially if my boy starts skating.  

Totally.  I was talking to a kid a one of the parks around here and he said "I know a bigger guy that skates pretty good".  Is that kid in his late 30's?  Did he stop for almost 20 years?  You gotta lose get to your ideal if the boy skates.  Old man still has to show up for a few yearsLOL  Until he's old (good) enough to realize dad ain't got it anymore.  But he'll still appreciate that you're there.  Back before my kid stopped skating and turned into an asshole he really seemed to like it that I'd still go out and try it (knowing I'd get hurt) with him.

I too wanted to be a "manageable" weight at the start of last winter.  190-200 is my range I'm looking for.  Instead for the first winter in 10 years I actually gained weight (snowboarding usually keeps me good). 

I did the same thing with my park board.  Got it a few years (and about 20 pounds ago) thinking "oh well, I'm only a little over, it'll just flex more".  Man does that board flex.  Like a noodle.  Now I'm only about 40lbs over for it.  I'm still shocked I haven't snapped it yet.
Snowboardr13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Snowboardr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 1:49pm
Do any of you run into the problem of not having a skatepark withen a reasonable driving to that is worth going to? Because where ever I seem to move to( which has been alot of places in the past ten years) there is never really a decent park anywhere near me. But then if I try to skate in my town or somewhere near there, the cops always come and ruin the fun. And then when I move to where I am now they had a skatepark for awhile that was pretty decent. But it closed about a week ago(which is really when I started to get back into skateboarding)because some kids decided they wanted to blow up one of the toliets in the bathroom( and no I'm not kidding). They need to either build more skateparks or loosen up on the laws of where and where not you can skate.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 8:27am
I have to drive a minimum of about a 1/2 hour to get to anything I consider worth while.  I have a decent ramp park about 15 minutes away, but it was built with bikes in mind, so it ain't as cool for boarding.  I still dig it, but nowhere near as much as the parks that are further.  And if I want to longboard down an okay hill it's about the same and farther for sure.  I really need to move somewhere where there's more hills, parks, and oh yeah, snow too.   I think every town needs a decent skatepark.

Wanted to share this video with you guys, maybe you've already seen it.  No matter this is dope as shit.  I wonder how Burnquist feels getting beat by a 12 year old.LOL  (I like Bob, but it's gotta be rough).
movesmusic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote movesmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 8:38am
^^^I'm 39... I still skate.  You can check some of the pics on my page, but here's a little slappy from a couple of years ago.

Board to death.
andrethegiant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote andrethegiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 9:33am
yeah it would suck to not have any local spots to sakte at, luckily i'm ten minutes outside of a pretty big city richmond va, definetly some sick spots!
Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 3:12pm
I have a couple parks within 3-10 mile radius, and they're pretty good. So definitely don't have a problem like that.

This weather blows though lately. If it's not cold, it's warm and raining out.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 3:23pm

I have a couple parks within 3-10 mile radius, and they're pretty good. So definitely don't have a problem like that.

Name some of the parks because you live in Chicago and i live right by it. Maybe we ride the same park.

Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 4:40pm

Name some of the parks because you live in Chicago and i live right by it. Maybe we ride the same park.

Mainly Wilson and Logan square skatepark since they're closer then the rest. But I also hit up Glenviews park and Burnham sometimes.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 10:57am

Mainly Wilson and Logan square skatepark since they're closer then the rest. But I also hit up Glenviews park and Burnham sometimes.
Ahhhh good old wilson. Such a fun place to ride. So you live a lot closer to the city than me. I love that 7 stair set with the 2 ledges. Dope place.

motoxninja80 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Vail

Quote motoxninja80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 12:35pm
There are a couple good skateparks right near my college that i go to on a regular basis. the only problem with one of them is the ramps are metal so in the summer you don't want to fall haha
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 12:39pm
the parks closest to me are geared more for bikes, so thats super scetchy.  But there are about 5 different ones within a 20 minute drive. I feel bad for the kids without cars...
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 2:14pm
@movesmusic-  nice move bruthaClap  I wish I could still do stuff like that.  For some reason I just don't feel the same connection to my board like I did when I was younger.  I feel too sketchy to try too much these days.  Looks like you're in way better shape than me too.  I think I'm just too fat now to get very far off the ground. 
I'm glad there's still a lot of us old guys that ride.  We're going to be the first generation to have a skater retirement complex.LOL

So we have this really rad park (for MI anyhow) called Riley that has some sweet bowls.  Here's a pic of a guy I went to high school with (he's 39/40).  He has a (very) small company Purple Heart skates.  He's a pretty cool dude been living the dream since back in the day.  Mind you, I busted my head just riding up this same wall.  And this asssssholeLOL......
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 3:16pm
actually went to the park the other night for the first time in forever and skated a little bit.  definitely weird at first, but it only took a few ollies to get back into the swing of it.  tried a few kickflips and still have those.  gonna skate again tonight... i think if i keep it fun with friends, i might actually keep skating somewhat regularly.

mostly just filmed with my friend monte though.  he's been progressing a TON and has awesome style.  tall guy steez.  here's a mashup of some of the footage.  gonna film more throughout the summer and hopefully make him a legit part, see if i can get him on flow with someone.

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote movesmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 4:55am

@movesmusic-  nice move bruthaClap  I wish I could still do stuff like that.  For some reason I just don't feel the same connection to my board like I did when I was younger.  I feel too sketchy to try too much these days.  Looks like you're in way better shape than me too.  I think I'm just too fat now to get very far off the ground. 
I'm glad there's still a lot of us old guys that ride.  We're going to be the first generation to have a skater retirement complex.LOL

So we have this really rad park (for MI anyhow) called Riley that has some sweet bowls.  Here's a pic of a guy I went to high school with (he's 39/40).  He has a (very) small company Purple Heart skates.  He's a pretty cool dude been living the dream since back in the day.  Mind you, I busted my head just riding up this same wall.  And this asssssholeLOL......

Yeah bro, it isn't as easy as it used to be.  It takes me a bit to get warmed up but once I'm there it flows ok.  A day with a few good spills is one that takes a toll, but in any case, I usually feel it after I skate, especially right now, as I'm currently getting back into skate shape.  I had a nice session at the park yesterday despite the almost 90* weather...
Board to death.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 12:04pm
Yeah, it's alright when I get into a groove, but it ain't like it used to be.  I used to charge at stair sets and gaps.....that doesn't happen anymore.  I usually feel pretty good after an hour or so at the park, but all it takes for me is one good fall and the day is done.  Last time I got out (cuz I'm not counting the attempts while hurt)  I busted my face open and jacked my kick foot (and ankle).  If I wouldn't have been bleeding all over I would have probably tried the foot until I couldn't stand.  

I'm so bummed cuz it's been over a month now.  Just when I think my foot is cool I step wrong.  Probably a good thing for my foot I'm not skating. 

"actually went to the park the other night for the first time in forever and skated a little bit. definitely weird at first, but it only took a few ollies to get back into the swing of it. tried a few kickflips and still have those. gonna skate again tonight... i think if i keep it fun with friends, i might actually keep skating somewhat regularly."

Well goodie two shoes for you spensLOL  Oh, look at me, I just hop on a board and get all Nyjah all over the place....OOOOhhhhhh.   LOLLOLLOLLOL   For real though, good for you dude.  Boarding is good for the soul.  I envy those that can (well enough to look like they belong on a board). 
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 2:25pm
Portland Or has so many great parks.
If only it didn't rain 9 out of 12 months.
There is only one small indoor park that is really expensive. OH WELL
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 2:32pm
^^ We have a pretty sick indoor park- Modern skate.  Super cool.  Wood bowl, multiple halfs, quaters, hips.  So much to hit there.  But same thing, it's not cheap.  It's not horrible expensive, but $15 a session plus gas ends up being like a lift ticket.

So humblerooster, you must hit Mt. Hood.  Place looks pretty sweet, is it worth the crap weather that surrounds the mountain?  I tossed around the idea of moving out that way (summer riding, hells yeah yo).  It's the weather and what I'd do for $ out there that make me hold back.  It's grey enough in MI, don't know if I could handle that Seattle-like weather OR gets.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 4:04pm
My indoor park closed last year. Was such a sick place to ride. 
R.I.P Warp skatepark. Oh well i have another 4 in hour driving distance! Wink

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 4:09pm

"actually went to the park the other night for the first time in forever and skated a little bit. definitely weird at first, but it only took a few ollies to get back into the swing of it. tried a few kickflips and still have those. gonna skate again tonight... i think if i keep it fun with friends, i might actually keep skating somewhat regularly."

Well goodie two shoes for you spensLOL  Oh, look at me, I just hop on a board and get all Nyjah all over the place....OOOOhhhhhh.   LOLLOLLOLLOL   For real though, good for you dude.  Boarding is good for the soul.  I envy those that can (well enough to look like they belong on a board). 
haha hardly, i'm just talking about ollies and kickflips, nothing crazy.

skated yesterday for almost two hours, which is totally unusual for one of my bi-annual attempts at liking skating again.  definitely got ollies back and just went back and forth seeing how high i could get throughout the park features.

set up a box i used to skate all the time and tried my hand at grinds again, and it was like nothing changed.. back 5-0s for daaaaays haha.  fun sesh... refreshing.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote movesmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 3:57am
Yeah, snowj720, I still take falls quite regularly.  Last season I was doing a 5-0 across a highbox on top of a pyramid and the ledge was waxed like crazy.  I leaned back too much going hellafast and right at the end of the grind the board slipped/shot out from under me.  I landed directly on my left hip at the bottom of the flat (maybe 6 feet down).  It was ugly.  I eventually went to the doc because it was black, purple and yellow around the edges of the huge bruise.. and because it hurt.  The doc said it was "sort of dislocated" and if it doesn't work itself back into place, I'd have to have surgery to make it work properly again.  I fought through it and rode (snowboard) all winter with really no problems.  Now I'm skating a lot as well (shrug).  It feels really strange when I rub my hand over the spot, but it works, so I'll take it Smile.

Below is a shot taken last summer that gives you guys an idea of what the park looks like that I ride a lot.  I live a little over a mile from here now.  There is a 5'-10' bowl behind the photographer.  I'll find a pic of it and post it as well...

Board to death.
Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 3:18pm
@luv2shred Wasn't Warp more for bmx riders though? I'd like to skate Krush, I heard it was awesome. Oh and on June 24th, (i think that's the date) REAL is having a demo at wilson. So just a heads up for ya.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 4:06pm

@luv2shred Wasn't Warp more for bmx riders though? I'd like to skate Krush, I heard it was awesome. Oh and on June 24th, (i think that's the date) REAL is having a demo at wilson. So just a heads up for ya.
Nope warp didnt allow bmxing. Only skating and rolerblading (no rollerbladers though! Wink). Yeah i wanna hit up krush and asylum. I heard they are both amazing. Oh and i might go to wilson for the demo. Thanks for the heads up.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>