Skateboarding

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 45678 11>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
movesmusic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote movesmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skateboarding
    Posted: Jun/06/2012 at 6:32am
Yes, it's fake.  That shit isn't funny.
Board to death.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2012 at 8:17am
yup, fake news site.  it's one of those things where you can enter a name and it generates it for you.. i think so, anyway.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2012 at 12:52pm
^It's on his wiki page and I thought I saw other sources.  Hopefully it is fake.

On another note.  Hit the park on my new setup today.  Kinda wishing I woulda stuck with my 10" wide pool board instead of an 8.5.   Totally forgot how different a smaller board would feel under foot.
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 8:44am
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote movesmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 11:21am
Originally posted by woodhomie1996

Totally fake
BATB V- Unboxing with Eric Koston.

Yeah, I saw that.  I'm not sure which is my favorite of his, but Haroshi is sick.  You guys can check his work here:

Board to death.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 1:54pm
What was the point in someone reporting him dead?  Gotta love the net.

And check out my man Barts company What Luck?  He's 100% DIY which is pretty sweet. 

whatluckskateboards.com/
motoxninja80 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Vail

Quote motoxninja80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 11:56am
Anyone Seen the Almost "5 Incher" video? If so what did you think of it?
I wish they showed more of Issey Yumiba skating. I like his style.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 12:01pm
i wasn't into it.  i was expecting more from almost.  we got a bunch to put on a little premier here and the paper they sent with it made it sound like a big deal, but it was just a basic video with parts, shots, and music back to back to back.  there was some good skating, but a lot of the footage was old and nothing special.  daewon and haslam did some cool stuff, but i was hoping for more lifestyle shots and personality to the video overall, instead of clip clip clip part part part.

now the shake junt chicken bone video, THAT'S a killer video.  every part and trick is sick, editing is amazing, there's an awesome crazy fun feel to it, and lots of lifestyle/random/crazy shots in there.  that crew never disappoints.  so much amazing stuff in there.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 3:26am
Has anyone seen or heard anything about Zero: Cold War?
I have always loved Zero video since back in the day.
Byers View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Byers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 4:37am
Saw this thread and had to share.. Was down the slopes this weekend and a guy was there with a skateboard, no bindings, getting it waxed.. I asked what he was up to and he said he was taking it out and going to have a run. I saw him later getting tones of speed and then stacking. Looked fun..ish
Byers - Boarding since '99
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 7:19am
^What?  His skateboard shouldn't have bindings, unless it's a freebord.

I got out today for a bit.  So happy there were two other old guys there with just as much protection onBig smile  So I didn't have to feel like the only turd there.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote movesmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Byers

Saw this thread and had to share.. Was down the slopes this weekend and a guy was there with a skateboard, no bindings, getting it waxed.. I asked what he was up to and he said he was taking it out and going to have a run. I saw him later getting tones of speed and then stacking. Looked fun..ish

Snowskate maybe?
Board to death.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 10:26am
^That's what I was thinking.  Not sure what "stacking" is. 
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 11:02am
Holy crap this is awesome:

Nire333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nire333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 11:08am
36 Gopros???? Might be a little much.

But I guess if I was sponsored I would have as many as I want also!!!

Sick video though. Looks like a great time.
dpboarder98 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 3:03pm
Thats a sick video. I agree with Nire, 36 seems a little excessive, but thats still an awesome video.
tdobbins1231 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tdobbins1231 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 4:43pm
Check out any of skater4foundations vids @youtube the footage they shoot is awesome they are also making a new full length feature Where Are We Going. any one heard of it?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2012 at 10:16am
Made in Emerica tour: 6th Ave. Skatepark in Nashville, Tennessee
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 10:13pm
cruiser session last night after dark downtown.  skated for at least three hours.  super fun.  bombed hills, cruised streets, got weird, had a great time..

Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2012 at 10:41am
Go Skate Day
Watch: Eric Koston's Epicly Later'd Trailer
soxfan47104 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote soxfan47104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2012 at 10:55am

those are sick videos! just got back inito skating and i love it again idk why I ever stopped

snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2012 at 1:23pm
Happy
And I just found out there was a Wild in the Streets ride today in Detroit.  Found out at 6, it was at noon.  It was a five mile ride through the streets of the D in part to raise funds for a park in the city.  I skipped going to the park today because it got up to 95 and I melt at that temp.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2012 at 2:18pm
^Cool! I never knew there was such thing as a Skateboarding Day
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2012 at 7:25am
What do you all think is a better substitute for snowboarding in the summer? Regular skateboarding because you can work on rail or longboarding because you are cruising down a hill on your board?
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2012 at 9:18am
Rails on Skateboarding and Snowboarding are way different!!
That way my problem when I tried rails for the first time snowboarding after skating for 6 years.
Even though the feel is different, the body motions to get into boardslides and lip slides is pretty similar.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2012 at 9:28am
staying active and doing any boardsport is going to be good come winter, because you won't lose your shape, and the orientation of standing sideways could help i guess.

nothing will be a real substitute for the way you actually snowboard.  the only thing that's really like snowboarding to a point it will "help you" with snowboard-specific skills.... is snowboarding.
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2012 at 9:42am
How about that new freeboard thing that looks like it would be pretty sweet to ride.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2012 at 9:46am
same answer.  your snowboard skills come from muscle memory as far as how you turn, how you pop, and all the other things you do as you ride.  you can't recreate those exact motions or turns on anything but a snowboard, but like i said, staying in shape and having some sort of sideways orientation is going to keep you ready to get back on a snowboard.  just don't expect it to improve your snowboard skills.  i mean, maybe if you get in better shape than where you were at when the season ended, it could be better, but that's just because your physical ability level goes up a bit and that always helps.

but of course this is just my opinion.  for me, i'm not trying to improve my snowboarding through any means but snowboarding, but i do focus on staying in shape between seasons so i can pick up where i left off.  i also try to keep the mental fun of it alive via cruiser skateboarding... going fast, cruising streets, grinding curbs and popping over all kinds of features on the way.. the same way i snowboard.  a lot of riding is mental, as far as how you ride, what you do, and the way you see features (especially when you link them together), so that probably helps keep your mind fresh.
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2012 at 10:23am
That right there pretty well sums it up
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2012 at 12:15pm
^^So you're saying skateboarding is just like snowboarding spenserLOL

Only things in common to me are the standing sideways and riding a board.  When I started snowboarding I came from a skate backround.  On a skateboard I could nose slide all day on curbs, when I started trying frontboard on snow it was like I was trying that same motion I did (front?) nose sliding on concrete.  It took a long time to get out of that habit on the snow and sometimes I still find myself doing it from time to time.  Backside was different, the skate days helped with that basic motion, but it's still way different.

Freebording looks like it has that same spirit you talked about when you cruise spens.  I do need to get either a nice cruiser or freebord soon.

Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2012 at 1:10pm
^In my opinion, skateboarding and snowboarding are similar in that you stand sideways and have to balance on a single board but other than that, they're two totally different sports.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2012 at 2:10pm
^exactly.  The snow is so much more forgiving (which my old ass likesBig smile), I typically don't break a sweat as quick on snow, typically you don't have to pay $50+ for a skateboard lift ticket, the list goes on and on.  But they do come from the same roots-surfingThumbs Up
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2012 at 5:30pm
^I've never been surfing before but would sure love to try it. It's probably going to be just as fun as skateboarding and snowboarding.
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2012 at 3:48am
Any sport that you are on a board would be fun, I'd love to learn to surf.
aussie-boarder View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Tearing it up...

Quote aussie-boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2012 at 4:21am
yeah its fake.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2012 at 4:29am
I have always wanted to learn to surf as well.
I am just prone to dislocated shoulders and its frightening to be in the water and not able to swim
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2012 at 5:53am
^You can't swim?  What....are you black?LOL   I worked with a black guy that got a jet ski and one day said, "Damn, now I have to learn to swim.  You know how to swim?"  I said "Yeah, all white people do".  He about pissed himself.

Anyhow, Yeah, I too have never had the joy of surfing.  I've been wanting to surf Lake Michigan (yes, it is totally possible), but it a matter of buying a $700 board that might not get used that often.  Plus, since I don't live near Lake MI I'd have to be able to run over there at a moments notice to try and catch a few decent waves.  I'm nervous to swim the ocean due to all the crazy shit in there. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2012 at 6:49am
Haha no, I was just saying that when my shoulder is dislocated it is hard to swim back to shore.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2012 at 12:02am
made a flyer for contests this summer.. gonna add sponsor logos for each one when we line those up.  photo by mark rainery

Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2012 at 10:15am
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2012 at 11:11am
Originally posted by snowj720

^You can't swim?  What....are you black?LOL   I worked with a black guy that got a jet ski and one day said, "Damn, now I have to learn to swim.  You know how to swim?"  I said "Yeah, all white people do".  He about pissed himself.

Anyhow, Yeah, I too have never had the joy of surfing.  I've been wanting to surf Lake Michigan (yes, it is totally possible), but it a matter of buying a $700 board that might not get used that often.  Plus, since I don't live near Lake MI I'd have to be able to run over there at a moments notice to try and catch a few decent waves.  I'm nervous to swim the ocean due to all the crazy shit in there. 

Technically he could just wear a life vest, which is a requirement isn't it?  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2012 at 1:51pm
^He was going to for sure (it is law here), but I think just paddling to get back to the ski was what was troubling him.  He had seriously never been around water his whole life.  At least not water you'd swim in.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2012 at 2:52pm
i don't understand how people "don't know how to swim."  it doesn't really take much knowledge, it's more of a natural instinct.  do your legs and arms just not work?  or does your body defy the laws of buoyancy?  both maybe?

i feel like "i don't know how to swim" really means "i've never really done it and i'm afraid of being in water."
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2012 at 3:03pm
That's got to be what it is.  Even before I learned the proper way to swim I instinctivly knew how to at least doggie paddle.  Hell, no one teaches animals how to swim.  Most dogs seem to do just fine.  We had ferrets that were awesome swimmers, and without a single lesson.Big smile
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2012 at 3:44pm
spenser I actually have trouble floating not sure if I can now but for a long time even laying on my back and trying to float wouldn't work.  
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2012 at 4:03pm
I have trouble floating too.  I thought my belly would keep me afloat as I got older, but that hasn't helped.  I took swim lessons as a kid and that was the one thing I never could quite do right.  I could do everything else.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2012 at 7:56pm
skated a little tonight.  i don't know what's up, but almost every time i skate at the park, even just for a little, i end up with a shtooked up lower back.  been going to the chiropractor for a little over a month and it's helped overall, but i'm still working out this issue. i think it stems from an old snowboard injury..

anyway, tried shooting photos with ryan.  the park is super dim, but up in this corner you get a little daylight, so it wasn't as bad.  struggled to get anything i was happy with on my part.. this is the only one i was alright with, but i wish it had been something other than a warm-up ollie.

shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2012 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by spenser

same answer.  your snowboard skills come from muscle memory as far as how you turn, how you pop, and all the other things you do as you ride.  you can't recreate those exact motions or turns on anything but a snowboard, but like i said, staying in shape and having some sort of sideways orientation is going to keep you ready to get back on a snowboard.  just don't expect it to improve your snowboard skills.  i mean, maybe if you get in better shape than where you were at when the season ended, it could be better, but that's just because your physical ability level goes up a bit and that always helps.

but of course this is just my opinion.  for me, i'm not trying to improve my snowboarding through any means but snowboarding, but i do focus on staying in shape between seasons so i can pick up where i left off.  i also try to keep the mental fun of it alive via cruiser skateboarding... going fast, cruising streets, grinding curbs and popping over all kinds of features on the way.. the same way i snowboard.  a lot of riding is mental, as far as how you ride, what you do, and the way you see features (especially when you link them together), so that probably helps keep your mind fresh.

yes...my buddy is a very skilled snowboarding and has been surfing fairly regularly for five years now.  Although  his surfing skills are improving they are no where near his snowboarding skills.  I have been surfing around 40 times and certainly my snowboarding life hasn't hurt me in the water but it really hasn't helped that much either...but with that said so much fun...haven't met a board sport yet that isn't.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2012 at 11:39am
Originally posted by spenser

cruiser session last night after dark downtown.  skated for at least three hours.  super fun.  bombed hills, cruised streets, got weird, had a great time..

that was insanely close at 3:33 of the vid....looked like a great time.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2012 at 4:46am
A day late but Happy Birthday America Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>