Quick Login: Forgot password?

Skateboarding

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 56789 11>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Online Status: Offline
  Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skateboarding
    Posted: Jul/05/2012 at 4:54am
Hey spenser, you ever tried kite boarding?  Seems like something you'd have done.  I just got  trainer and it looks like I'll be trying it with a kiteskating soon.Big smile
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2012 at 8:11am
I absolutely hate skating. Just to hard and painful for my liking.
~2011 CAPiTA Indoor Survival FK~2011 Union Cyan Forces~2012 Burton Rulers~
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2012 at 10:46am
no kiteboarding, but the university here did just start a class for it.  i'm not very interested, but i'm sure it would be fun.  pretty much every boardsport is...
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2012 at 1:24pm
Dude, you live in pardise if your university offers that as a class.  I would totally think you'd be zipping around with a kite on a skateboard.  Think of the mad air you could get Big smile
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2012 at 1:39pm
woops, i meant kite... sailing.. something?  they do it in the ocean.

snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2012 at 2:09pm
^That's what I'm looking to get into.  I didn't know much about it until this past week, looks interesting and fun.  These guys go way big out there.  And winter time would be a blast.  Imagine kiting up and down the mountain.  Go up, pack the kite, ride natural down.  Greenest chairlift you can get.Thumbs Up
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2012 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by snowj720

^That's what I'm looking to get into.  I didn't know much about it until this past week, looks interesting and fun.  These guys go way big out there.  And winter time would be a blast.  Imagine kiting up and down the mountain.  Go up, pack the kite, ride natural down.  Greenest chairlift you can get.Thumbs Up
Es freaking crazy expensive. Then you see/hear the horror stories of the guys that get pulled hundreds of feet into the air! haha
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2012 at 5:16pm
It's expensive to get into to, but once you have the equipment it's not too bad.  It needs to be replaced from time to time, but if you take care of the stuff you can stretch that out.  I like to wakeboard (I suck, but it's fun), but damn if a good boat for that is thousands, then the insurance, and fuel, and hauling it back and forth.  A kite setup is way cheaper.  And with the kite working with other boards (skate, snow, mountain) it's something that would be worth it for someone (like me) that loves to stand sideways. 

A decent snowboard setup usually goes for 600 plus, a kite setup (including board) is about double that (and up), both pricey. 

Yeah, I've heard some tales of the bad side of kiting.  Dude hitting the side of a hotel.  It's all about safety.  Lessons are a must.  There are safety features that when used properly will usually keep you out of trouble.
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2012 at 7:01am
Looks so fun. With lake Michigan so close to me it would be very easy for me to try it. 
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2012 at 9:55am
One of my firends is going to build a mini-ramp so I decided to watch "Cheese and Crackers"
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2012 at 1:06pm
^^^Thats awesome. My buddy has a mini ramp he rides....If only I could skate
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2012 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by chillman

Looks so fun. With lake Michigan so close to me it would be very easy for me to try it. 

Oh hells yeah. I'm suprised you haven't already.  Lake MI is the bomb for that.  My sorry ass will be doing it mostly on Lake Erie when I finally get a hook up.  Hit up my man Mark at motorcitykiteboarding.com   He gave us a beginner lesson and kiting made much more sense.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2012 at 11:28pm
skate comp today.  i didn't really focus on photos during the festivities, but snapped a couple as everyone was warming up.  not especially stoked on any of them, but i do like this one of jerms and his classic frontside air in the mini after things settled down.... harsh pop-up flash and all.  working on the rest tomorrow... filmed all the runs, and i think you guys will like the skating that went down.  we have a grip of talented dudes around.  good times.  stoked for our triple contest series starting next weekend.

yuhui View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote yuhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2012 at 11:51pm
i can't kickflip for my life
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2012 at 2:11pm
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2012 at 3:47pm
few more.

max and a warm-up ollie, as i was getting the camera set up

Timmy and one of his classic frontside airs

Aaron's kickflips.. always poked

cropped this one for the faces.  jerm's catchin' air, phil needs a high five, and sam has a nice face.

JoeRocket1212 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote JoeRocket1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2012 at 8:59am
hey, wussup guys.  skating was one of the first boards i stepped onto...  it has always been fun, but i never got as good on it as i wanted...  i skate around to get places, and i can get off curbs ok, but i just can't seem to stick any jumps...  and when i pick up too much speed, kinda freaky that there's no real way to stop other than bail...  cause of that, i never got that good, and skate parks always had a certain lure to me, but could never get myself to drop in on a ledge...  i'm 27 now, and thinking it might be just too late for me to get good at this...  i'll stick to snowboarding i guess...
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2012 at 12:52pm
highlight reel.  pretty much all solid trickery, so it flows well enough.  timmy (first skater, in the black) makes it worthwhile on his own.

jordanwells View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jordanwells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2012 at 6:09am
I miss the good ol skateboarding days. Skateboarding now is way to risky. If I fall and break a leg, I can't work.. can't pay rent, can't eat. Ughh I hate getting old
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2012 at 6:29am
^that's why my balls have went bye bye.  When the real world is on your shoulders it's hard to go out and do something that could screw up your livelyhood.  I still skate, just no where near at the level I used to.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2012 at 8:00am

^that's why my balls have went bye bye. 

I thought that happened when you got married.
movesmusic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote movesmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2012 at 10:19am
Originally posted by spenser

highlight reel.  pretty much all solid trickery, so it flows well enough.  timmy (first skater, in the black) makes it worthwhile on his own.

Yeah, Timmy's alley oop was nice.  Props for the transfer attempts too.  It's obvious those are in the bag, but he couldn't pull it out in the comp.  Not many people doing work on the hip.  They should add a down rail to that set up.
Board to death.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2012 at 11:38am
he has that gap on lock most of the time, and he can kickflip indy it too.  not sure why he wasn't making it that time, but it woulda been killer to have him land that last one to make the perfect run.

there were more shots on the hip, but nothing landed.  agreed on a down rail.  i think we're going to build a manny pad again too.. i miss those a lot.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote movesmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2012 at 10:47am
Spenser, are your shots from still or video?  If it's still, what camera do you use?
Board to death.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2012 at 11:13am
the photos from the competition are on my canon 30d.  the fisheye shots in the miniramp are on a $300 retail fisheye by bower, which is one of a few brand names the lens is under.  pretty good for 3 bills.  the other shots are on my long lens which is a canon L series 70-200 2.8.  awesome glass.  it's an older version but still works great and i got it for a really great deal considering it's got L series glass.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2012 at 10:58pm
second comp was today.  about the same turnout, better music, and we had a best trick jam for about a half hour, which got pretty fucking awesome.  can't wait to get to work with the footage.  i filmed runs like usual and during warmups, and have three other angles of footage to work with.  product toss was fun.. threw out a lot of stuff.  sequence is for the children.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2012 at 4:01am
Originally posted by ctoma

^that's why my balls have went bye bye. 

I thought that happened when you got married.

No one wants to admit that CLOL  I think it's really a combo.  
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 7:44pm
had some extra footage from the cameras that were used to film our last contest, from the week prior to the event.  i didn't film any of this, but wanted to use the footage for something.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 4:58am
Mikey Taylor, I love his style
MurphyMasta View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote MurphyMasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 6:29am
working on big spins and getting my popshuvit on lock today. anyone in greensboro northcarolina area wanna skate sometime?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 8:19pm
skated a bit at the park after work with jeremy, haden, phil, and our friend josh who's in town.  jarrett and sam showed up too... pretty much the standard snowboard crew.  fun session but i keep hurting my ankle.  pretty sure i have mild tendonitis and need to start letting it heal fully.

did a little shooting with jarrett

melon to flat over the table

this is a backflip handplant thing he does, not just a handplant

melon to fakie

one of his latest tricks, ninja airwalk to fakie

frontside air

thought this was kinda funny.. jerms fs tail down the hubba with conor's bs heel in the foreground as he punches jerms in the face

josh has pop for days.  boner ollie.

can't remember if this was a bs 180 or bs flip

snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2012 at 2:11am
^Nice shots as always spenser.  So the standard crew was hangin?   That's pretty sweet.
motoxninja80 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Vail

Quote motoxninja80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2012 at 5:35pm
All these photos make me wanna skate right now, but it's raining outside.....
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2012 at 4:09am
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2012 at 4:28am
^ Nice.  Do you have the little guy ripping?  How old?  Based on the velcro shoes my guess is he is around 3-4 (my kids wore velcro shoes up until 4 or 5).
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2012 at 4:33am
Look at that junior shredder right there. You gonna start him up snowboarding next winter too?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2012 at 5:07am
He will be 3 in January.
I was teaching him the balance and he loved it. He just doesn't get the if you put more weight in one foot the board will shoot out.

Yes he will be on a snowboard this coming winter.
Even with the lack of snow this past winter we still worked on our balance.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2012 at 5:24pm
Not skateboarding but I just ordered the 90cm Burton/Pixar board for my son
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 11:24am
It's a sporgy in Hunington beach this weekend.  Side by side skate comps and the US open of surf.

They're webcasting all of it, here's the link to the skate comp.-
Nater43 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Nater43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2012 at 11:28am
I want to get back into skating now after finding this thread. Its been like 8 years now since I was on a skateboard. Think I might have to pick one up again sometime soon.
| Boards: '08 Burton Custom 156 | Boots: '08 Burton Freestyle | Bindings: '09 Burton Missions |
               '10 Reverse Crew 155
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote movesmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2012 at 6:56am
I've been a Grosso fan since I had his ragdoll/blocks board in the 80's.  If you don't know about loveletters, you will now.  This is the most recent episode, Slams.  The first thing I always tell people in skate or snow instruction is "learn how to fall first."
Board to death.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2012 at 6:23pm
3rd contest of the summer today.  not as exciting as the last one.. not as many people and two of our best local skaters weren't competing.  still a good time though.  shot a few photos and then filmed runs as usual.

jarrett's melon to fakie during warmups

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2012 at 8:05pm
few more photos by jeremy

timmy, kickflip back lip during the best trick session

product toss.. i think this one is sick

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2012 at 7:17pm
buddy's video with footage from this summer, and a little from winter.  some cool planned out shots in this..

full screen -  https://vimeo.com/47386737 

steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2012 at 7:09am
Nice footage, pretty sick shots.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2012 at 3:33pm
spenser, any of your friends ever say "You make me look better than I am"?  Your boys have some skills, but you always get the shot.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2012 at 7:06pm
haha thanks for the compliment.  i don't recall anyone saying quite that, but some people have said things to that general effect, sort of.
ShredDatPow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ShredDatPow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2012 at 7:48am
I went to any indoor skatepark in Lynchburg, VA over the weekend that had a foam pit and it was intense. It had a 14 ft roll in to a 8 ft launch ramp. Kinda scary at first, but after the first time, it was one of the greatest things I have done on a skateboard.
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2012 at 7:43pm
Heres a pretty cool montage my buddy made of all of us. 

chanelonlineshop View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote chanelonlineshop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2012 at 8:40pm
So funny is the skateboarding,and i will join it someday, but now i must first buy a Chanel bag to collect things.