Australia/nz 2012

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tangles View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Australia/nz 2012
    Posted: Mar/25/2012 at 8:22pm
Australia said that they were gonna do more to combat New Zealand's snow .........Buller tickets $108 price rise again enough said
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2012 at 8:41pm
Thread name to 2013? ;) 

How much were they before the change? 
After all the negative feedback about the mountains and prices, i've never even looked into it.  
If only Queensland had snow...
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2012 at 9:59pm
It's ridiculous... I wouldn't even consider going in Aus. That pricing for what we get is way off.

I can get to NZ before I can get down to the Aus fields anyway. Straight shot from Cooly airport. Way better value for money.
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 12:12am
The only thing that really gets me interested in Aus snowfields is the treelines they have. I hear they are pretty fun. But i'm sure Japan, Canada and US can all top it. 
It would be decent I lived locally... But in QLD... 
tangles View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 12:57pm
Well it costs (based on Buller - Queenstown 
Lift Ticket
Australia = $108
New Zealand = $95 approx depending the mountain
Entry to mountain
Australia based on last years price $25 per car
New Zealand = free
Hotel/Hostel
Australia = $110 a night Double B stayed there a couple years back
New Zealand = $25 a night Nomads Queenstown
Food
Australia = overpriced pieces of food
New Zealand = Decent food
Transport 
Australia (i live 4 hours away) = $80
New Zealand Depending on Mountain $30
Airfare for new zealand = about 600ish

Overall if you go for at least a week in new zealand you are well ahead and you get better snow, not as crowded, better parks and WAY better nightlife in new zealand
jvisaac View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Laos!

Quote jvisaac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 3:40pm
Agree with tangles, ive done both. I got cheap return flights to Qtown from brisbane this year for $410. I could of got Christchurch ones for $240 as well! really cheap.

NZ - better snow, better nightlife, more foreign girls AND overall cheaper.
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 7:00pm
to be fair they did try this season

Perisher/thredbo early bird....season pass for 700 bucks 

early bird ticket sales atm is up to 30% off
can pick up September 5.5 days (5 days + free afternoon beforehand) for 298 bucks atm with perisher

together with the station 135 bucks (roughly) accommodation for 6 share
yeah the station isnt the best but its a bed and bathroom which is all you really need
works out ok

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
Sh4d0w View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Sh4d0w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 12:08am
Falls and Hotham have also done the $699 season pass for this year.

I can give a comparative based on Falls Creek..

Lift Ticket = $106 for a day pass/$185 for the weekend. If you live within 100km of the mountain you can also get a locals alpine pass for $350 + $35 a day. Cheaper still if you bought the Hero Pass for $699.

Entry to mountain = $39.50/day or $260 for the full season if you buy the resort entry season pass.

Hotel/Hostel = Karelia from $80/night inc breakfast. Lakeside from $80/night inc breakfast and from $113/night inc all meals. Riparoo from $122/night for students and $152/night for adults including all meals. Alpha Lodge from $66/night.

Food = Depends on your price range. Pub meals can be found for less than $20 and they're all massive. You can also find lunch for around $5. There are stacks of great drink specials if you know where to look.

Transport = Depends on where you live. Falls Creek Coaches does trips up the mountain from Mount Beauty for $58 return (including resort entry) and you can park your car in their locked car park for $5/night which is far cheaper than the per night resort entry parking price. You then also don't need to pay for chains.

Falls also provides a time benefit. The extra $ you pay to stay on mountain means you can get out on the hill at 8:30 without having to spend time on a bus getting up the hill each morning.

And anyone who says the night life sucks obviously hasn't spent a Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday night at The Man, a Wednesday night at Fryers or been to Oishii/Astra at all. Yeah all venues close early (you can thank Liquor Licensing for that).. But by 1:30am if you've been riding all day and not used to it you'll be wrecked anyway.
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 12:22am
Mmm, see it'd be decent if you were a local but if you're from any other state its Nz... From Qld to Nsw, that would be a 9 hour drive or $90, there and back $180... 
Then you still got to get from sydney to the resort... if driving thats another 5-6 hours, car rental would be stupid if you flew down, and bus fares are pretty pricey, $60+ one way, then add on the skitube fare. 
travel alone Nz is close... 

Would definitely love to give it a go one time but... maybe when i have more money. 
Sh4d0w View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Sh4d0w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 1:46am
Yeah definitely Koji3.. There are a lot of the benefits to being a local (ie: getting awesome value out of your season passes), but at the same time many of these contra out when you're living on the hill.. For example you pay around 25-50% extra for groceries.. And long-term accommodation is expensive. It's costing us $24k for 5 months.

It definitely makes sense to do what you can afford and what will get you the most ride days. And if that's jumping on a plane to NZ then that's what we have to do!
jvisaac View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Laos!

Quote jvisaac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 3:20am
yeah ive driven down to Perisher from brisbane and it was a real hassle. I had a great time once i was there but NZ is just so much easier and cheaper.
CLoSeR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CLoSeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 2:08pm
Perisher did a good job this year leading the Australian Snow Industry by releasing the early discounted season passes. Thredbo and all the others just followed.

I'm a big fan of NZ, we also have friends who live in Queenstown and have been the past 3 seasons. Will skip NZ this season and spend more time at Perisher to get the most out of my season pass. Not sure about 2013, NZ will probably be on the cards..

Queenstown is definately a great place though, we usually go cheap direct flights and stay for $90 a night twin share. Lift tickets are definately cheaper at $95NZD ($75AUD). If you're heading to NZ you'll get far better value by staying a couple weeks, accounts for the flight costs.

I can understand why the Brisbane boys don't like driving to Perisher, that would be a nightmare. It's hard enough for me to drive the 6 hours from Sydney. :)

All for now, and remember Ferg Loves You!

10 Sierra Crew | 10 Rome Crail | 10 Union Sierra Contact SL | 10 Nitro Reverb TLS Boots
evo180sx View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote evo180sx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 5:45pm
Im heading to Hotham on 22nd of July, $88 a night for the lodge I'm staying in (on mountain) and breakfast/dinner cooked for me. I'm going up with people from my work though so a bit different, we all chip in cash and ends up being cheap.

First time at Hotham though, how is it compared to Mt Buller? I've only been to buller.

Cheers
Michael
swizzy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote swizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2012 at 12:15am
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could share any info about the VIC snowfield. I'm heading on a week trip with some mates and we're just figuring out where we should go. We've been to thredbo and perisher already hence needing info on the VIC snowfields. Not so much prices and that but the conditions on the mountain, night life, runs etc. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 10:25pm
If you take a slight risk and book your flights very early NZ is affordable for everyone. Stay in Wanaka and hit the mountains in that area for a week to two weeks and you'll have a great time!
Byers View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Byers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 4:06pm
I did the maths last season. If your going down for a week you should pay for a flight to NZ. The food is cheaper, the tickets are cheaper, the piss is cheaper and the snow is better. Its a no brainer. I just wish it worked out that way for weekend runs as well.

With that said, Perisher (and I think Thredbo) are reducing their lesson prices and a few other things to try to get competitive but its no use unless they drop the ticket price!

Byers - Boarding since '99
Byers View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Byers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 4:08pm
With that said, I hit up Perisher on 2/3 June, week before the season is supposed to open. I have a season pass so I thought why not, cheap early runs even if its not the best snow (season pass is the only way to make Aust snow worthwhile). I went down and did the same thing last year and it was patchy, then they had to close the season for another two weeks until the cover was good enough. This year the snow was everywhere, its looking to be a great season (by Aust standards anyway :-P). Heading down this weekend so I'll let you all know how it goes!
Byers - Boarding since '99
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 7:57pm
How's the conditions at Buller?? Anyone heading up for opening weekend? I'd love to spend more time at the AUS slopes but the costs far outweigh the value considering I'd have to boot it up there every Friday and be back Monday for work
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 8:36pm
@sh4d0w

24K for 5 months? shtook! For that you should fly to canada and live in whistler for the season and by live, you'd be living in luxury here! plus the snow is waist deep!

As an aussie from perth I have no intention of ever riding the australian resorts. I can get to Japan return for 1000, the lift tickets are considerably cheaper, you get to experience a new culture and not to mention the snow in australia doesn't even come close to a comparison to that in Japan.. It's really a no brainer for me.
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 10:34pm
Japan is high on my list of things to do. There's been some awesome flight specials through Jetstar lately so if you haven't already get on their mailing list. NZ deals are also pretty common
icedbear View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote icedbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2012 at 3:23pm
Myself and a couple of mates stayed at Gravbot lodge (Mt Hotham) last August. $100 a night including ALL meals. Breakfast was usual toast and cereal, lunch was sandwiches or help your self to leftovers from the night before and dinners were all massive meals cooked fresh by the lodge manager. Been a ski lodege, your expected to help out with dishes and maybe some cleaning but that dosent take long. It was either a 5 minute walk or catch the bus to the Genny.
Only thing is you may have families there so all we were told is not to make to much noise when we stumbled in from the pub.
I just got back from a trip to the club fields in the Canterbury region outside of Christchurch. A 10 day anytime Chill pass for 11 mountains was $600 (in season price), a harness and nutcracker was $25 for the week. No lifts here, a few T-bars but mainly rope tows which is a different experiance. We did a fair bit of hiking and traversing so you definatly work for your runs.
10 - 4
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2012 at 4:00pm
Anyone down at Perisher at the moment? Mate from work heading down tomorrow for a week, just wondering what the conditions are like???

I hear its been a pretty good start to the season so far
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 6:53pm
stolen from hotelclub
LOL

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
tangles View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2012 at 8:27pm
New Zealand wins hands down, there is a massive difference between perisher to mount buller, where in new zealand they are all roughly the same quality.
 Post Reply Post Reply