WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE RESORT-

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE RESORT-
    Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 4:56pm
I've always been really interested in what's out there and I like to take one big trip outside of my home resorts in California per year. Most years I go to Utah because I love every resort I've been to there but I was just wondering what the hidden gems are out there and would like to just see the names get tossed out there. My personal favorite thus far in my life is Brighton, Utah
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 10:00pm
Depends on your preferred type of riding I guess. But if you head to CO, Crested Butte is a wicked all-rounder. If your a park rat, you'd wanna check out A51. Vail of course...
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 10:37pm
Jackson (terrain), then Baker (because they're always getting fresh pow).
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 4:11am
So far Northstar
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 7:35am
jackson blows everything else out of the water.... sorry CO and tahoe.. you lose.
MOAR powderz plz!
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 8:16am
I'm a loca at Brighton Utah.  I've been to whistler, the colorado resorts, some of the Cali Resorts.  IMO Utah is the best place to snowboard.  But since your looking for something new try Revelstoke in BC, or any of the Tahoe area Resorts.  GL
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 8:51am
ya my parents are from colorado so theyve been to all the CO resorts but I have yet to make it out there. My dad always raves about copper mtn. I've been to almost all the Utah resorts except the really small ones like wolf, eagle point, and sundance. whistler, jackson hole, big sky montana, and sun valley idaho are all on my to-go list for sure.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 9:42am
I've never ridden outside of CA, but Squaw is hands down my favorite place to ride. They have so many different types of terrain and great trails with wide long runs. I can't remember ever having a bad day there.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 10:54am
Whistler-Blackcomb (BC, Canada) maybe.  I do love my Tahoe resorts of Alpine Meadows, N*, Diamond Peak and Sugar Bowl tho.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 11:31am
i need to check out the more local-ish resorts in tahoe.   ive been to heavenly, kirkwood (which i love), and northstar. never been to sugar bowl, diamond peak, donner, alpine meadows, sierra or squaw
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 1:06pm
The problem I have with Brighton is when i go they don't have all the lifts running. I like snowbird best for Utah but that might be I have only been there on powder days. Jackson is really fun place one of my favorite for sure. I really like Grand Targhee, it is on the west side of the tetons. Anywhere you can do this.

It is the backside of the resort. 

If you like park Mt hood is a fun place to go. 
nuggetuconn View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote nuggetuconn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 1:36pm
Killington or Snowshoe. Yeah im limited to the east coast. one of these days...to the west!
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 1:36pm
that drop was further out than just the backside of the resort i'm pretty sure... but yes its in the bc between jackson and targhee.... 

RIP jamie.
MOAR powderz plz!
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by timmay_650

The problem I have with Brighton is when i go they don't have all the lifts running. I like snowbird best for Utah but that might be I have only been there on powder days.

Utah had a horrible snow year so that's why some of the lifts haven't been open.  Snowbird is great on pow days.  I haven't found anywhere better for pow.

You could do a Mt Hood summer trip.  I'm goin in August for some summer park ridin.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 1:42pm
If you ever find yourself stuck in the midwest check out Mt. Bohemia.   Not as tall as out west, but similar terrian (and it's all natural).  Can't see anyone making a trip to the midwest on purpose thoughLOL
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 2:24pm
The only big ones I've been to is Mammoth and Tahoe. I love Tahoe!! but haven't been there as a boarder so I definitely wanna go back and board there to see if I still love it. Sure I will
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by MTpow

that drop was further out than just the backside of the resort i'm pretty sure... but yes its in the bc between jackson and targhee.... 

RIP jamie.

I watched the Video and i am 90% sure that you just go to the top of DC and jump and that is where Jamie did it. It is my desktop picture so i look at it a bunch ha ha.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 5:56pm
I've been to resorts in CA and WA and my fav is still Mammoth.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ianbejamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 6:16pm
I've only been to a couple so i can't really make a fair judgment but my definite favorite is Whitefish Mt (Big Mtn resort) in Montana
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 8:10pm
KEYSTONE, CO
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 9:24pm
2nd would be Mammoth for open trails but Northstar has to be my #1 favorite,atmosphere there is just more lively, park terrain never disappoint.
Jigkidd View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
TWISTER!

Quote Jigkidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by bootleg

2nd would be Mammoth for open trails but Northstar has to be my #1 favorite,atmosphere there is just more lively, park terrain never disappoint.

I agree.
I've been to Steamboat, N*, Mt Rose, Mt High, Bear, Mammoth, Sugar Bowl and Snow Summit.
I'd say N*, takes first followed up by Mammoth.

Long hair don't care!
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 10:16pm
mammoth is the resort i go to most often-i learned there as a kid and always take a trip at least once a year. i liked northstar when i went there-pretty crowded though. has anyone been to taos, new mexico??
gunda pickle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2012 at 4:44pm
Tussey Mountain
jvisaac View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Laos!

Quote jvisaac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 3:21pm
Cadrona, New Zealand is a very cool resort. Bit of everything. 1 hour from Queenstown.
kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kyle521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 3:35pm
In the east coast I like okemo but in the west I like snowbird and brec
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 6:35pm
I like Whistler/Blackcomb but its gotten more crowded each time I've gone. I went to Utah this year but didn't get much snow so it was hard to say. Def want to try Mammoth, tahoe and if I can save up enuff money then maybe colorado.
sleeepili View Drop Down
Local
Local
catching air at bear

Quote sleeepili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2012 at 1:18pm
june mountain in california. i happened to go on a very empty weekend and it was the best riding days ive had since i started boarding 7 years ago. big wide empty runs. well-groomed. beginner terrain features. couldnt ask for more
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2012 at 4:05pm
sleeepili, if you went to June mountain, then you also have to try out Mammoth. Besides my friends, i'm also hearing on this forum that a lot of ppl like Mammoth too
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2012 at 6:07pm
well ya, mammoth is world class-along the lines of vail, park city, whistler, and sun valley idaho (it's one of those monstrous resorts that takes you awhile to hit everything). june though, is the locals choice for lack of crowds. june also gives an epic student discount on season passes-of which i didnt know about when i actually was a student
CLoSeR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CLoSeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2012 at 2:34pm
Either Cardrona, New Zealand or Perisher, Australia.

10 Sierra Crew | 10 Rome Crail | 10 Union Sierra Contact SL | 10 Nitro Reverb TLS Boots
djmaya View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote djmaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2012 at 11:40am
In CO my favorite has to be Keystone.
1) EPIC tree runs on the back.
2) beginner and intermediate runs are completely separate from expert runs with a couple of exceptions
3) awesome and HUGE cat/hike accessible area for some side country action
4) night skiing
5) almost all the lifts are express lifts
6) super easy to navigate
7) blue cruisers are nice and long
8) lots of high verticals lifts with very short lines if any.

edit:
oh yeah
9) the park area is amazing from what I hear (not my kind of thing)
2012 Vapor 162W - 2010 CO2 EST - 2010 Hail
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2012 at 11:45am
Two words: WORLD CLASS.  Snow trails:

Get some. 

-b
get bent
TTowncrazy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Keystone 2012

Quote TTowncrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2012 at 12:14pm
Keystone, Colorado. It was super awesome, no lines for the ski lift, great park and fun runs. I heard the bowls are awesome, I didn't get to try them out because there wasnt enough snow this season :(
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2012 at 5:46am
i'm an intermediate boarder and i roam around CO, to my preference I think Copper Mt a great place for green horns like me--not just powder but the entire village as a whole. Plenty of shops/restaurants and etc.
Kighted View Drop Down
Local
Local
Riden'

Quote Kighted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2012 at 6:57am
my favorite is Keystone, CO. I haven't been out to the west coast yet, but Keystone gets my vote. The reason is because of Area 51.
Weymaro View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Weymaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2012 at 8:02am
Favorite resort is created butte although I don't get to go there much. I also like to go to mad river mountain in Ohio. It's not really a mountain it's just a hill but it's super cheap and open really long hours(9:00 AM -3:00 AM on weekends)
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2012 at 10:03am
Keeping in mind that prior to last week I have only snowboarded in MI my favorite is Breckenridge.  We had an awesome week there and enjoyed everything: the mountain, the apr├Ęs-ski, the restaurants, the people.  The only part of the mountain I didn't care for was the T-Bar on Peak 8, that was a bit uncomfortable but required to get to the Imperial Express Super Chair which takes you to the highest point (without hiking) of the 4 peaks.
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 11:38am
Originally posted by ctoma

The only part of the mountain I didn't care for was the T-Bar on Peak 8, that was a bit uncomfortable but required to get to the Imperial Express Super Chair which takes you to the highest point (without hiking) of the 4 peaks.

You don't have to take the T-bar to imperial.  You can take 6chair.

In Colorado Aspen is the best area for all of your needs.  Some of the best parks in the world, some of the more challenging terrain in colorado.  Crowds are almost non-existent.  Snow is dry and fluffy.  Also has over 4000ft vertical drop.

When it comes to terrain, Jackson is top.  It also isn't a great place for everyone.  I'd recommend starting your day off at Targhee, then heading to Jackson when you have a little more confidence.
x_X
Jigkidd View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
TWISTER!

Quote Jigkidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 11:41am
Originally posted by timpiper

well ya, mammoth is world class-along the lines of vail, park city, whistler, and sun valley idaho (it's one of those monstrous resorts that takes you awhile to hit everything). june though, is the locals choice for lack of crowds. june also gives an epic student discount on season passes-of which i didnt know about when i actually was a student

yeah June Mtn has a $100 season pass 
where mammoths is 650 for mvp
and college pass is 299
I believe with mvp you get to ride june and mammoth though.

I like mthigh for it's easy drive, 
and park laps.
Long hair don't care!
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Quote AyChan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 1:01pm
100 dollar season pass is such a steal!my friend got it last year and said it was great! 
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 1:03pm
100 bucks for a season pass?  That's awesome!  Snow Valley's season pass is 200, but June Mountain would definitely get better pow!
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 2:04pm
I like my small local mountain in Switzerland. And I bet I'd like Steamboat a ton too if it had snow when I went there this past year. Keeping fingers crossed for better conditions next year.
andrethegiant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote andrethegiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 8:33pm
Ill try and bring this thread back to life a little, hands down mt. hood! Only been in the summer, but that place just has the feel of classic laid back snowboarding how it was meant to be!
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 9:57pm
Right now, I'm leaning toward changing my profile to say Alpine Meadows is my favorite since they always stay open the longest (not counting Mammoth, which I haven't been to yet.)
Snowboardr13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Snowboardr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 4:29am
I have to say that for the few resorts that I have been to, mine has to be Blue Mountain in PA. Just because I think it has the nicest Parks, and some pretty decent trails that are fun to mess around on. Plus they have a boarder cross track that is pretty fun to race your friends on.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 11:25am
screwyvarmint, im the opposite-mammoth is the resort ive been to the most in my life but have never been to alpine meadows (but have always wanted to) ive only ever been to kirkwood, heavenly and northstar in the tahoe area
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 11:31am
Of the ones i've been to, it would be mammoth!
Days after a freak blizzard = roads closed = extra week of winter break and an amazing few days of pow.
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 11:35am
I stated NorthStar at the beginning of the thread but I will always love Shawnee Mountain
Its small but it is where I grew up
brownskinslim View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote brownskinslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 11:44am
Northstar and Heavenly are definitely my favorite spots. My brother lives in Stateline right at the base of Heavenly so for the multiple day trips its Heavenly and for the day trips its Northstar!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>