Disc Golfing

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nire333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nire333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disc Golfing
    Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 6:12pm
Couldn't find another thread on this so I figured I'd get one started. I just started and love it. How many of you guys disc golf?? Share your favorite moments and why you love the sport.
ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ianbejamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 6:23pm
ohhh you mean frolfing! ;)
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Quote zagfan5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Nire333

Share your favorite moments and why you love the sport.

blunts
Camber Is The New Rocker.
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 7:28pm
yea I think this is the first one I haven't seen one yet anyways and I've been on here a few years, no favorite moments just love the sport and the chill atmosphere.

TTowncrazy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Keystone 2012

Quote TTowncrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 7:38pm
Its pretty fun and enjoyable especially on a cool summer day. I have a couple friends that I go with all the time. My favorite type of hole would be a long strait away par 5 where I can just wind up and chuck it as far as I can.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 7:49pm
I played it years ago and really enjoyed it but found that there wernt many parks in my area that were equipped with the frolf setup. Too bad cuz its easy to get hooked on this game.
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 8:11pm
I picked up the sport a year ago,I'm still learning and never realize how much fun and free it is. i normally toss the disc str8 way, i don't play for points just for accuracy,style & distance very relaxing and we have a few parks with the baskets open for free play.
Nire333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nire333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2012 at 6:00am
I'm lucky because I have a nice course around a lake about 1 mile from my house. I cant drive yet but it only takes me about 10 minutes on my bike to get there. I could go everyday if i felt like it.
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2012 at 6:47am
I played a ton when I was in Tahoe, haven't played much since I moved. It really doesn't get much better than free courses out in beautiful Tahoe, the Zephyr Cove course has amazing views.
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2012 at 8:27am
Played a handful of times in golden gate park.  Great fun!
ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ianbejamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2012 at 8:29am
my dad used to really be into the sport. I've played a few time with him. He always kicks my arse but it's still a ton of fun. Especially on a nice spring or summer day.
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2012 at 9:50am
this thread should be policed by mikeD. hes a sponsored pro.
Anyways, discing is awesome. Currently at 4 aces
tlab View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tlab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2012 at 10:45am
I love to disc golf or Frolth is what we call it. Great thing to do on nice day with some cold beer. I have be at it for many years. Best part is its free!!!
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2012 at 1:23pm
It's not just a summer thing for me.  I hit the course in Reno on a day between 2 snowboarding days.  Several more courses I want to hit soon, but most are too muddy at the moment.

In Santa Barbara (Goleta technically), some students from the UC I played with came up with a variant, that you had to keep a beer in one hand at all times and if you spilled even a drop it cost you a stroke.  lol
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 7:53pm
hmm I had never heard of this game until yesterday and tried it. Geez it was so fun! Drinking and playing this game in the sun is just great. Free and its a good excuse to be outside. Time to buy some frisbees...
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
nots0kind View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
wattup box

Quote nots0kind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2012 at 8:07pm
bucks county has one of the best courses in the us 28 holes in a wooded park tyler state in pa always different always challenging i love playing
Shaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 1:10am
I've never heard of it before. Sounds good fun I'll have to give it a go. Thanks.
sleeepili View Drop Down
Local
Local
catching air at bear

Quote sleeepili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 4:58am
my dad introduced me to this sport and i went to play an 18 once. other times were just driving practice at my HS football field. pretty fun, definitely a lot easier to pick up than regular golf.

pretty interesting how different each disc can be, speed, lift, hyzer, etc. they just look like flat plastic/rubbery discs but fly so different
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 6:26am
my favorite moment in disc golf history was when i was in high school and my friend and i went for the first time with his older brother and friends. it was also the first time we drank. So on hole 14 my friend steps up and prepares to have a huge drive. but he doesnt let go of the disc spins around and throws it right into his brothers friends face a point blank range shattering the guys oakleys. i look back on that moment fondly. my sides almost split from laughing so much. but not the best for the dude with the glasses.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 1:06pm
Not a good idea to take your dog with you when disc golfing btw.  Unless the dog is super obedient there's a good chance of an interception.
Nire333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nire333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 1:47pm
Hoping to get some new discs this weekend. I originally bought a driver, but now that I know that I am going to get into it more, I'm going to buy a midrange and a putter. Then I'm going to start going a few times a week so I can improve my game.
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 6:57pm
WHERE is MikeyD up in this thread with his disc golf badassedness??? That boy has gone some serious troutdoors MIA....
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2012 at 4:57pm
when i first heard of this i thought i would never even get close to trying it but everyone freakin' raves about it-guess i'll have to give it a try.
Nire333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nire333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2012 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by timpiper

when i first heard of this i thought i would never even get close to trying it but everyone freakin' raves about it-guess i'll have to give it a try.

Definatley try it!! I'm going on Friday with a couple friends. Should be a good time!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2012 at 5:08pm
So far ive won $31 at my local course in small money wagered rounds. and with a broken foot. haha
Redheaderr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Big Sky, Montana

Quote Redheaderr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2012 at 5:23pm
I just like hanging out in nature with pot and alcohol.
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2012 at 8:16pm
^alcohol and disc golf makes a great game a little more interesting than usual I have friend who is over cocky when it comes to competitive sports but has never played disc golf which later we will wager a bet to shut him up.
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2012 at 6:46am
Originally posted by bootleg

^alcohol and disc golf makes a great game a little more interesting than usual I have friend who is over cocky when it comes to competitive sports but has never played disc golf which later we will wager a bet to shut him up.

One of our favorite ways to play was bringing a portable cooler with the beer. Then whoever lost the hole had to carry the beer. Makes it fun and competitive, nobody wants to lug that thing around, especially playing the Zephyr Cove course in Tahoe, that's like hiking + disc golf.
Nire333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nire333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 5:22pm
I've been discing a lot lately. About 3 or 4 times a week.It's fun just to be mellow and chill while doing it. Getting a lot better. Probably going to go tomorrow if the weather permits (fingers crossed). Almost got a hole in one, on the shortest and clearest hole, but I was off by a couple of feet.
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Wilz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 6:30pm
is this like frizbe golf?

i've only played it on PS3, can you actually it in real life?
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Wilz

is this like frizbe golf?

i've only played it on PS3, can you actually it in real life?

it's the same concept as golf just with frisbee disc made for long,short ranges and putter disc into baskets at each par course with the least amount of shots thrown.Many styles of playing it and one very chill outdoor game not sure how it is on the PS3.
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 7:28am
I've seen the PS3 game, there's also a Wii disc golf game. It's the same concept except it's a lot harder to make it fly straight and far in real life, heh. A lot more fun too though, go outside and try it.
steezycheezy734 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Lake Effect!!

Quote steezycheezy734 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 7:49am
Frothing....love it, summer sport of choice nothing better then some brews, a blunt and your dog on the disc golf course
andrethegiant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote andrethegiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 9:34am
hahah this is awesome, should have named it stoners thread tho!
Disc golf for dayysssss
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 12:47pm
I disc almost everyday, but im not a stoner, dont stereotype
Nire333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nire333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by BoxStomper

Same here, I'm not a stoner (although quite a few of my friends are, haha) and I disc a bunch. I actually just got back from discing. Lost a midrange disc at the water hole though.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 4:11pm
whatd you lose? Im really shorting on my mid range stock, my bag is full of drivers and putters
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Nire333

Originally posted by BoxStomper

Same here, I'm not a stoner (although quite a few of my friends are, haha) and I disc a bunch. I actually just got back from discing. Lost a midrange disc at the water hole though.

Oh man you have a water hole? That's rough. I've only ever had to worry about losing them in trees and bushes. I lost my putter in a tree on a big downhill hole, that sucked. That's one of the things I love about disc golf though, it's so cheap.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 5:06pm
Not a stoner either!  lol, I mean have tried it, but it just makes me jumpy.
Nire333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nire333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 5:11pm
@Boxstomper     I lost an Innova Cobra (just a $10 disc) but it was still disappointing. Looks like I'm going to go shopping this week.

@Broys      Yeah, I always tend to throw short, low and safe on the water hole but today the wind gave it a bit of an updraft and carried it out about 35 feet... Would've waded in but it's a drop-off about 10ft out.

Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Wilz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 1:54pm
hmm wat's the difference between medium, short, long range frisbees? so long range is bigger? is that it?

don't think this has hit Australia yet.... but seems intersting enough. i assume u will need areas as big as gold course to play?
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Wilz

hmm wat's the difference between medium, short, long range frisbees? so long range is bigger? is that it?

don't think this has hit Australia yet.... but seems intersting enough. i assume u will need areas as big as gold course to play?

There are quite a few variables when it comes to what makes a disc do what. For a super quick and to the point, here is a picture of a driver,and a putter back to back (driver on top, putter on bottom).

As you see, the driver has a "sharper" edge and profile to it. Mainly for cutting through the air better, but each driver will not have the same profile as the next. The smallest tweak will change the flight path, or how it flies. Pretty much how there are different base profiles for snowboards, there are 10 times as many disc profiles.

Then you have weight. Even discs that share the same profile, can have different weights. Think of it this way. A disc I really like is the ORC. The first one I had was a 174g. but the one I use now is a 171g. A little lighter, and for that type of disc, the lighter weight worked better for me. It's all about feel, and just takes some time to find the right disc, or discs, for you.
When I go out for a round, I usually carry two drivers, maybe a mid-range, and one putter. It depends on what course we go to, but that is generally my line up.

Oh, and most discs have options for material too. The standard "Rubber/plastic", or "Candy" material. The standard material mars and gouges very easily against trees, or most surfaces. The candy is a super hard smooth plastic that is reallllly hard to mar or gouge. Cost a little bit more, but are totally worth it.

What is everyone throwing? Me.....my current lineup is..

Primary Driver-Innova Starfire Candy plastic 172g.
Back up/back hand driver-Innova ORC Candy plastic 171g.
Mid-range-Innova Shark (can't remember the weight) standard plastic.
Putter-Omega Super Soft (also can't remember the weight)

I went to the super soft as my primary putter about 2 years ago, and I have a hard time going back. While it isn't the best for long range putting (anything over 30ft) I love the feel of the thing. It is also real grippy and find it has less "bad" bounces.

Anyways, thought I would share this here...went out for 2 rounds today and it was WET. Played pretty well, 4 over each round. We play every hole as a three, except for 18, which we play as a 4. Par for the course is 64, but we play it as a 55. I'll take 5 under each round playing by course rules Thumbs Up
Bet 5 bucks each game with my dude. Won them both...booooyyyaka! LOL

Anyways...highlights of the day (other than it being muggy as hell, and 86 degrees out) was the 17th tee pad being flooded out (still throw-able though, just had to make a little jump first ahahah...) and my friend throwing in the river that borders the entire course. He lucked out though, disc got caught on a branch in the water, and the current was strong enough it held the disc in place until he could climb down. Play it where it lies baby! hahha..

gsoccer04 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote gsoccer04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 5:28pm
I play ultimate at school and a bit of a campus/urban spin on disc golf but we frolf once a week and just play from random landmarks to random landmarks on campus with ultimate discs
Nire333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nire333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 6:17pm
Currently I'm using:

Driver: Innova Pro Starfire (171g)
Midrange: Innova Roc (174g)
Putter: Innova Polecat (Not Sure of the Weight)

Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 9:19pm
I've asked several friends if they'd like to try disc golfing with me and they just look at me cockeyed and think me a fool for wanting to do anything other than drink at a bar.  In other words, I need new friends.  lol
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 1:37pm
 I just got a new inova tourney bag and was wondering if anyone would be interested in my inova deluxe disk bag looking for 25$+ shipping it's in great shape only got it about 4 months ago. it's in the blue color, this would ship with the grey/black strap from the turney bag it has a much nicer pad then the one it comes with.  anyways it's this bag. http://www.innovadiscs.com/disc-bags/deluxe.html

bags been sold.
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2012 at 10:02am
I love Wednesdays.
Went to one of the bigger courses around town-The Brent Hambrick Memorial DGC. *Link to exact stats on the course.... http://www.pdga.com/course_directory/course/hoover-dam-brent-hambrick-memorial-dgc

Long course, and pretty windy today. Holes 10-14 were closed due to erosion, and them taking measures to fix said erosion. There are an extra 9 holes to play in addition to the 18, so we bypassed to 15, played to 18, then picked up the back, back 9. Shot a 5 over for the 22 holes we played. My friend and I put 5 bucks on the match, and we tied, so we played best lye from drive on an extra hole. He won. Was about 3ft. from the pin, I was about 6...Angry....bastard. LOL
A few pics of the course layout...

Thread the needle....

Nire333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nire333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2012 at 11:23am
Looks like an awesome course^^^.

Went the other day and it started raining right as I got there (scattered showers). Seeing as though my friends and I biked there, we decided it would be fun to disc in the rain instead of bike home in the rain.

Needless to say we got a little wet but overall it was a good time. My score wasn't as good as usual though.

Hoping to hit up one of the better courses in our area in the next week. It's $4 a game but everyone says it is completely worth it. The 33 holes will be fun.
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 8:08am
That's a nice looking course BMW. Is it a mix of open and wooded holes? I need to get out and play again this thread has me wanting to play pretty bad but I don't know anybody that plays right now.

My setup:
Driver: Innova Champion Beast (for sidearm drives)
2nd Driver: Innova Star Wraith (regular drives)
Mid-range: Discraft Buzzz
Putter: Innova Aviar
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 3:49pm
Supposedly Innova has come up with a new disc that adds a lot of distance, but I'm not gonna go out and buy new discs.  Shouldn't be looking for an edge over others anyway.  Ruins the fun if you're essentially using better tech for an advantage over your buddy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>