Tribute to Doug Fagel

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 5>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tribute to Doug Fagel
    Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 2:53pm
No, this isn't a eulogy.  I figured with about 3 weeks left in his service to Sierra/TruSnow/TruOutdoors those of us who have benefited from Doug's videos, advice or who just plain old like him can post a message here for him.

Personally, Doug's videos helped me quite a bit when I first stepped on a snowboard 3 years ago.  I was not a skier-turned-snowboarder or involved in any other snow sport... hell, to be honest I hated snow and winter before I strapped in for the first time.  My first day on a snowboard was in a group lesson and I got the basics down (skating, falling, heel turns and falling leaf).  A few days later I stumbled onto sierrasnowboard.com and found Doug's videos.  The videos inspired me to get out again as soon as possible and try some of the basic techniques Doug demonstrated.  They definitely helped and I appreciate it.

Thanks, Doug, and good luck in your future endeavors.

luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
New 2012 setup for outerwear

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 3:30pm
Wait wait wait, Doug is leaving!? Nooooooooooooooo whyyyyyyyyy!? He has done so much for the community. He helped me learn 3's off jumps and pretzels off rails. His vids gave me some faith to try and land them. I always had a blast watching the giveaways. He would always make me laugh at times. Thats why i came back everyday to see what he does. Ohh and thanks doug for all youve done at TruSnow and at sierra snowboards.

P.S: Thanks for the free bindings! They are working great! Wink
11 Dc lauri pro tone, 11 Rome s90 bindings

Check out www.wonsnow.com
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 3:31pm
I would like to dedicate the next time I listen to "Life Goes On" - Tupac, to Doug Fagel. The song title sucks for this situation, haha, but its a good song. You have been an awesome part of Sierra. Good luck in whatever you do, shred hard
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 3:52pm
What? No more Doug?  What?  Can we get a hologram of him to do the giveaway?

Man this site has fallin' from grace.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 3:56pm
Does anyone know why he's leaving??
tomek77pl View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote tomek77pl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 4:06pm
Im going to miss Doug on the giveaways :(, and on the chat. 
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 4:21pm
Thanks Doug for your awesome service and the best of luck to you in the future!
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 6:11pm
Thanks Doug, good luck with wherever life is taking you from here.

Maybe we can get them to put a life size cutout in the background for the giveaways?

P.s. feel free to pick my name out for a giveaway win before you leave...
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 6:36pm
He's probably one of the only Sierra person left too.  My guess is he probably didn't wanna relocate to MN.  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 7:01pm
Not exactly sure whats going on with Doug but he's been such a great impact on the sierra/trusnow site especially on the community forums and his tutorial yt videos on specific tricks. I really hate to see him leave but i hope all the best for him. Thank you Doug for all the fun times during the giveaways and snowboarding tips.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 7:54pm
Maybe he went to join Snowboard Addiction.  LOL  Well, even though he's leaving TS, I'm sure he'll still stick around on the forum.  
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 10:35pm
is he allowed to mention it here? Does he even want it mentioned? I aint employed by TruSnow though, so i will (plus hes still got enough thread priveleges to edit it out if he wants) :p

In conjunction with tEB (on design) hes engineering his own range of snowboards. Theyre called THRIVE snowboarding (if you got facebook head over to see what theyre up to and like them).

A lot of us owe the guy something huge. He worked his ass off to stoke us out and make sure TruSnow tried to keep the great things from sierra.  Its a massive loss for TruSnow in truth, but that energy and positive stoke he always gave out will be going into his company i should imagine. 

Whether or not you liked sierra or approved of their business practices. Or whether or not you thought TruSnow was a pale imitation of sierra... in the end one thing should be unquestionable: the dude is one of the good guys. TruSnow just wont be the same without him.   

m00m
Shaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 2:38am
Doug thanks for a great time over the years. Thanks for the old Sierra days and will really miss you on the site. Best of luck with your new venture.
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 4:22am
Disappointed to see him go.  Videos truly helped me step up my riding.   Thank you & good luck.
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 5:00am
It seems as though the daily giveaways and the forums are why many of us are here, but what brought me to this site in the first place was searching youtube for how to videos.  After noticing all the good ones were from "Sierra Snow", I became a member.  I don't think I even noticed the giveaways and freebies till months later!  

It's just not going to be the same without him.  I hope he is moving on to bigger and better things!
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 5:30am
We're going to miss you Doug. His Vid's really helped me improve my snowboard from 3's to switch riding. He gave several great tips that helped me install them into my riding.
andrethegiant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote andrethegiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 5:35am
rumor is he's the newest contributor to yobeat!! Hopefully he can continue the shtook burton trend
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 5:52am
Dam, things just won't be the same around here without him.

To Doug; thanks for being an inspiration to many riders over the years! We will def miss you on the daily giveaways. Best of luck to you on your future endeavors!
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 6:35am
Originally posted by andrethegiant

rumor is he's the newest contributor to yobeat!! Hopefully he can continue the shtook burton trend

I heard he moved to an island with Tu Pac, Biggie, and Jim Morrison.

Yeah, he'll be missed.  He was the last true link to TruSnow being about the people and being a boarder.  Troutdoors can never rival what was going on here a few years ago.

Later Dougie.  We'll miss you snowbro.
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Online Status: Online
  Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 6:42am
guess everyone will just have to find a way to get out and ride with doug.  It's a lot more fun to ride with the people than just hang out online.  I bet he makes several trips next year. 

x_X
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 6:56am
Originally posted by ippollite

is he allowed to mention it here? Does he even want it mentioned? I aint employed by TruSnow though, so i will (plus hes still got enough thread priveleges to edit it out if he wants) :p

In conjunction with tEB (on design) hes engineering his own range of snowboards. Theyre called THRIVE snowboarding (if you got facebook head over to see what theyre up to and like them).

A lot of us owe the guy something huge. He worked his ass off to stoke us out and make sure TruSnow tried to keep the great things from sierra.  Its a massive loss for TruSnow in truth, but that energy and positive stoke he always gave out will be going into his company i should imagine. 

Whether or not you liked sierra or approved of their business practices. Or whether or not you thought TruSnow was a pale imitation of sierra... in the end one thing should be unquestionable: the dude is one of the good guys. TruSnow just wont be the same without him.   

Doug I want one, I'll head over to FB to check it out.  Thanks for greasing the wheels with House/TS when I ran into problems over the years.  Without you around to actually get their attention for us, there will be no customer service whatsoever.   Let's ride sometime!

-b
get bent
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 7:13am
Doug, it's been a treat getting to "know" you through the giveaways the past few years.  You're constant musings of being "in the mix" helped my days pass.  That, and the random ass things that would happen behind you during your 3 o'clock reality show.  Thanks for all the tips, tricks, and industry information.  You're the best and we'll miss you.  With your drive and passion for the snowboard community, I'm sure you'll be successfull with whatever your next move is.  Good Luck!

P.S.  What are you going to do with all the old Sierra brand boards and bindings you won't need anymore?  You could do a giveaway of Doug Fagel's setup.  That would be a sweet ender!
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 7:49am
all the best dougie

thank for the mammaries!! 

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 8:11am
Well the ends a crappy week. His videos made me progress faster than I ever thought

Best of luck

I vote that the TruSnow community gets to interview his replacement
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 8:24am
All the best to you, Doug, your mad organizational skills will be missed around here!
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 8:29am

you're an idiot.  Now back to what matters...

Doug is a boss.  He will be sorely missed around here for sure.  Bigger and better things are on the horizon for him and we are all looking forward to seeing what the next chapter brings.  Can't wait to shred/party/mop/hang again! Cheers to you sir!

MOAR powderz plz!
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 8:47am
Originally posted by MTpow

you're an idiot.  Now back to what matters...

Doug is a boss.  He will be sorely missed around here for sure.  

I admire your brutal honesty.  Power of the 'stache!

+1 Doug is a boss and will be sorely missed.

lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 9:09am
say it ain't so...wow...anyone one that's left from the SS days?
kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kyle521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 9:11am
who can we sing the doug song about now
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 9:19am
he taught me how to dougie
gonna have to get my gangster lean from somewhere else now
return2heaven View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote return2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 9:31am
good luck in whatever you decide to do doug, you will be missed.

i foresee the demise of the free giveaways.
Snowboardr13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Snowboardr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 11:35am
You will be missed
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 12:28pm
Oh, didn't know he would join the mass and make his own snowboards, but will check it out anyways!  LOL  If that's the case then I'm sure he'll make videos over there.
dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator
Instructing How to Douglas!!

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 12:44pm
Thanks for all the nice words!! Big smile

I will be around from time to time, but it is time that I move on from TruSnow as a Staff Member.

I may be the last man standing from the Sierra days, but the people in St. Paul are great people and they deserve the respect for continuing on the over site of the community.

It does look like I have some options available to me, as I continue to focus my career on helping people go snowboarding!! It is a simple and at times selfless goal that helps to keep a smile on my face.

Track me down on Facebook if you ever want to connect or see where the next fork in the road leads me: www.facebook.com/dougfagel

I look forward to being here as much as possible throughout the next three weeks before I sign off.
brownskinslim View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote brownskinslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 1:47pm
Doug your are definitely what brought me to this community of Sierra/TruSnow. These companies are really dime a dozen! What made this one so special was the level of attention and the services that you provided. You will be missed! and I hope you Thrive!!
Nire333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nire333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 1:59pm
Thanks for the Reverse Crew Doug. You will be missed!
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote nautika96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 2:46pm
doug are you still going to be riding in the tahoe area for the level exams?

nothing says celebrity status like getting texts from friends saying that they got to ride with you. best of luck to all your endeavors.
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 3:07pm
Hey he's doing what he wants. He wants to teach he wants to teach. It would be so sick if i actually met him. Id take a lesson no doubt. I just feel like were losing someone that everybody loved. Oh well at least we still have mustachegeorge and guth! Wink

derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 3:29pm
thanks doug...

we will all miss you.....!!!!!!

nothing more that i really think i can say..... im at a loss.... sucks......

good luck and god speed!
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by luv2shred

Oh well at least we still have mustachegeorge and guth! Wink

I don't think guth is still around. I've been wrong before, though. 

Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by LittleShooey

I don't think guth is still around. I've been wrong before, though. :)

IIRC guth has been gone for quite a while....

annnnnnnd, dont quote me, but george has been pulled over to the House side........

soooooo we have neither nor....
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
TTowncrazy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Keystone 2012

Quote TTowncrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 5:53pm
Does anyone know why doug is leaving?
MrMeaty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MrMeaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by TTowncrazy

Does anyone know why doug is leaving? 
Not to be THAT GUY, but yes...everyone who has read this whole thread knows why he is leaving.  Ippollite posted about 12 posts in...
'10 Sierra Stunt - '11 Rossignol One Mag - '11 Rome Targa - '12 Forum Shaka - '11 K2 Maysis - '12 Ride Hi-Phy
ShredThePeak View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ShredThePeak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 6:51pm
What a shame to see the guy who practically ran the entire thing leave. Good luck on your future aspirations, Doug!
shing02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 11:05pm
it's a damned shame but it's also good to see doug move on from the site to, what is hopefully, greener pastures.

cheers to you, for teaching us and getting MOST of us into boarding :)
luv2shred View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote luv2shred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2012 at 10:54am
Originally posted by derbytownjoe

Originally posted by LittleShooey

I don't think guth is still around. I've been wrong before, though. :)

IIRC guth has been gone for quite a while....

annnnnnnd, dont quote me, but george has been pulled over to the House side........

soooooo we have neither nor....
Ohhh i didnt know that my bad.
Ahhhhh man so whos left after doug leaves?

screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2012 at 4:37pm
Doug did say in chat that next season he might still do a little snowboard school stuff up at Tahoe, so those of you who didn't take advantage of his wisdom this year still have a shot.  Or at least watch his videos!
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Wilz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2012 at 3:18am
man, after a few month of not going on TruSnow and i find out doug is leaving. Cry

well good luck and all the best! looking forward to see you're bringing to the snowboarding community in the near future. i hope you keep us posted on what you're up to. Smile
highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2012 at 8:18am
  Keep getting after it.
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2012 at 8:02pm
Already tracked down the man on FB and I know you can't escape me and plenty o' others that way! LOL Sucks major arse to lose you at TS but can't wait to see & continue to hear about future endeavors...may have to find you some day in Tahoe.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>