0 Staff | 10 Members
Live Chat
trusnow
Powered by 396,038 Members
Shopping Forum Out of Stock
username or email password
 Forum Home > SNOWBOARDS > The Board Room

Quick Login: Forgot password?

Topic ClosedWho's Ready For Some FOOTBALL 2012/2013 Season!

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 1314151617 43>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who's Ready For Some FOOTBALL 2012/2013 Season!
    Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 3:10am
The NFL really should step in here and make this right by overturning that bad call and giving the game to the Packers. A blatantly bad call like that which decided the outcome of the game shouldn't stand.
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 3:24am
Originally posted by snowmen

The NFL really should step in here and make this right by overturning that bad call and giving the game to the Packers. A blatantly bad call like that which decided the outcome of the game shouldn't stand.
That will never happen.  Just look at the game that Ed Hochuli blew a few years back for the Chargers.  Even he admitted that he screwed up and the NFL didn't step in.  And they shouldn't.  You can't go back and change outcomes, no matter how terrible they are.
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 4:15am
That was some crazy ass finish, glad I stayed up for it. Best Buy is going to see a spike in profit today from all the Packer fans replacing their busted TV's. 
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 5:47am
I kinda like the incompetent refs. Adds more drama to the game. The NFL seems to have it right. Have the worst crew on Monday night for the whole nation to watch. It gets more attention. F'ing brilliant.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 7:48am
Originally posted by solocreep

I kinda like the incompetent refs. Adds more drama to the game. The NFL seems to have it right. Have the worst crew on Monday night for the whole nation to watch. It gets more attention. F'ing brilliant.

There is no such things as bad publicity.  At least people are talking about it, driving popularity (& anger) higher, as if that's possible
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 7:49am
Originally posted by lightning80

The replacement refs are bad, but people are still watching the games. So, there's no incentive for the League to give in to the regular refs at this point.

Truth.

Controversy aside, that Seattle defense looks legit. I thought the Niners would walk away with the division but, now I think its up for grabs. Niners, Seahawks and Cardinals look tough to beat early on. It might come down to who stays healthy.

Their D is pretty decent. But at home it's straight up vicious, namely cuz that crowd gets loud as hell. It's nearly impossible to get into any sort of offensive rhythm when you can't hear the guy standing right next to you.
"Wide receiver posts, on three!"
"But I don't have to pee!"

Originally posted by grapeape2669

That will never happen.  Just look at the game that Ed Hochuli blew a few years back for the Chargers.  Even he admitted that he screwed up and the NFL didn't step in.  And they shouldn't.  You can't go back and change outcomes, no matter how terrible they are.

Taken straight from the NFL:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000066164/article/nfl-supports-decision-to-not-overturn-seahawks-touchdown

Originally posted by diviesti

That was some crazy ass finish, glad I stayed up for it. Best Buy is going to see a spike in profit today from all the Packer fans replacing their busted TV's. 

LOL, funny!
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 8:03am
Everyone talking about the bad call. It could have been avoided if Jennings just BATTED THE BALL DOWN!!! But nooo, he got greedy and went for the INT. If anything, he's as much to blame as the refs.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 8:07am

Everyone talking about the bad call. It could have been avoided if the Jennings just BATTED THE BALL DOWN!!! But nooo, he got greedy and went for the INT. If anything, he's as much to blame as the refs.

He would be called for interference if he reached over to bat the ball down. By, going for the ball, he avoids that call because he has a chance of catching the ball. But then, if the refs can miss Tate pushing off...
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 8:11am
Anyone else think the striking refs are putting some serious bets down in vegas and have an in with the replacements...

Regardless of the last 2 calls packers should have taken care of business before it came to this
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 8:14am

That will never happen. The League can come out and say that the call was blown, but the win/loss will not be reversed.

I know the NBA has announced that a call was wrong a day after a playoff game, on a play that won that game (Spurs v. Mavs if I recall correctly). But the Spurs kept the win despite the announcement..and went on to win the series.
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 8:47am

So apparently right now the difference between the refs and the league is $69,000 per team per season. I've seen teams waste 10 times more than that on injury prone, over aged has beens *cough cough* Owens. The league and Owners are trying to break the Refs Union, its the only valid reason for this. 

Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 9:20am
^That's it? 69k is what's standing in the way of properly reffed games. Cuz after that finish to the Packers/Seahawks game, I don't know if I can continue watching as long as this sh*t goes on. Do these refs even notice that they're making different calls while standing next to each other? Bunch of bums.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Von44

^That's it? 69k is what's standing in the way of properly reffed games. Cuz after that finish to the Packers/Seahawks game, I don't know if I can continue watching as long as this sh*t goes on. Do these refs even notice that they're making different calls while standing next to each other? Bunch of bums.

The word on the street is that $15MM changed hands in Las Vegas last night over that blown call . . . . .

-b
get bent
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 9:39am
^ Awwww shit, the bookies are going to start contracting hits on the replacement refs...
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 9:52am
Thanks to Clay Matthews:  Roger Goodell's phone number (at least his secretary's number) - (212) 450-2027
kikko View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 9:55am
Originally posted by ctoma

^ Awwww shit, the bookies are going to start contracting hits on the replacement refs...

seems more like the bookies made a call to the refs and said "Seahawks"

Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

The word on the street is that $15MM changed hands in Las Vegas last night over that blown call . . . . .
 -b

i think you meant to say $150 million
Fear does not stop death, it stops life...
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Von44

Do these refs even notice that they're making different calls while standing next to each other? Bunch of bums.

Well...one ref says "in HS football, this is a TD". Then the other ref says "in Div III, that's an interception". Then the Div II ref comes out and everybody listens to him "this is clearly a play that the NFL refs reviews, let me to to the booth and acting like a real ref and toss a coin in there". He comes out of the booth, confused, because he forgot to bring a coin. Then suddenly remembers his cousin's 2nd wife's best friend is a Seattle Sonics fan. So he gave the TD to the Seattle Mariners.
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 2:25pm
I might not like the calls these refs make, but I cant wait to see how they screw up next.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 2:28pm

I might not like the calls these refs make, but I cant wait to see how they screw up next.

it's like drving pass a car wreck..you can't help but rubberneck...
twolf123 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 2:58pm
i swear the replacement refs are there to help the real refs...they're only giving ammo to the locked out refs and are now hold the integrity of the game as ransom...(/conspiracy)

@snowmen: they're upholding the ruling, as they should and as graperape mentioned...too bad, eh? it would be pretty unfair to say "this team should've won in 1988" or something

| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by kikko

Originally posted by ctoma

seems more like the bookies made a call to the refs and said "Seahawks"

-b

Naw I just meant the legal Nevada draw, not all that illegal mob gambling around the rest of the world!

-b
get bent
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 3:26pm
Man what a finish, luckily for me I had money on Seahawks +3.5/under 46.5.

ALl hail the replacement refs haha
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 4:48pm
Two things:

1) I genuinely believe that the one judge got mixed up and forgot who had possession at the start of the play, and signaled touchdown for the Packers.

2) The statement the NFL released was so arrogant, they should have just released a two-word statement, and the second word is "...you"
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 8:47pm
I understand that that call last night was bad and it affected the outcome of the game but the coverage that it has obtained mirrors what a near world apocalypse would warrant-its ridiculous
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 2:49am
Originally posted by kikko

-b

This morning the news reported $300 million changed hands from the MNF game.  

According to the NY Daily News some of the replacement refs were fired from the Lingerie Football League due to incompetent officiating:

A handful of the scab refs who have marred the NFL season with a series of blown calls are washouts from the Lingerie Football League, the underwear league said. 

The bra-and-panty league said at least one crew of refs now working NFL games couldn't hack it on their all-girl gridiron and were fired. 

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 3:04am
Originally posted by Geez

Two things:

1) I genuinely believe that the one judge got mixed up and forgot who had possession at the start of the play, and signaled touchdown for the Packers.

2) The statement the NFL released was so arrogant, they should have just released a two-word statement, and the second word is "...you"
I wouldn't expect any less from the NFL.  Everything they do is arrogant.  How can they possibly say with a straight face that Tate had possession of that ball?  Everyone has seen the replay, and agrees that it was an interception.
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 3:34am
Originally posted by twolf123

@snowmen: they're upholding the ruling, as they should and as graperape mentioned...too bad, eh? it would be pretty unfair to say "this team should've won in 1988" or something

Why do you feel they should uphold a blatantly bad call on the last play of the game which resulted in an errant victory? The NFL uses replays to correct bad calls and they should have corrected this bad call as well. Why set a precedent for letting a bad call stand?
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 5:06am

Originally posted by twolf123

Why do you feel they should uphold a blatantly bad call on the last play of the game which resulted in an errant victory? The NFL uses replays to correct bad calls and they should have corrected this bad call as well. Why set a precedent for letting a bad call stand?

Cuz that wasn't the only game in NFL history that ended on a bad call. If they change the Monday's outcome, they should go back and change the all the others. You know that's not gonna happen.
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 5:11am

This NFL season has been ruined & tainted by the use of replacement refs. Even if they bring back the 'real' refs i don't care if i see another game this season. Too many games have had the outcome altered by the replacement refs that have absolutely no business in the NFL. Most of them are ex-high school refs & retired arena league refs that have no clue how to referee an NFL game. ...sadly, i think i'm done with football this year.

solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 5:32am
Originally posted by Oinker

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; mso-ansi-: EN" lang=EN>This NFL season has been ruined & tainted by the use of replacement refs. Even if they bring back the 'real' refs i don't care if i see another game this season. Too many games have had the outcome altered by the replacement refs that have absolutely no business in the NFL. Most of them are ex-high school refs & retired arena league refs that have no clue how to referee an NFL game. ...sadly, i think i'm done with football this year.</SPAN>

No you're not. You'll still watch games cuz its the NFL. Even if people do stop watching, they'll always attract new fans with gambling, fantasy, drama etc. It's like Howard Stern. Some people wanted him off the radio but he got ratings.
I want the regular refs as much as anyone, but until that happens I'll adapt to life with the replacements. The NFL is in the "business" of " sports entertainment." I doubt they care if the brand is tainted. They're still raking in the $$$.
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 5:45am
I'm getting the feeling the worse the replacement refs get, the longer the holdout is going to last. The real refs have plenty of ammo to show why they are worth the money they deserve and the owners and league are to prideful to admit fault.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 6:46am

Cuz that wasn't the only game in NFL history that ended on a bad call. If they change the Monday's outcome, they should go back and change the all the others. You know that's not gonna happen.

Exactly, as soon as they do it to one game, it begs the question "where do they draw the line?" And to add to your next post about the nfl being a business of "sports entertainment"... I don't think anyone can argue that these games AREN'T entertaining! While ya may not agree with the results, I like the Howard Stern reference cuz ya almost wanna tune in just to see what happens next. I doubt the NFL is complacent with it's sport being turned into a soap opera.. but it obviously doesn't bother em enough to pay the right people the right amount for the right job.
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 7:06am

Originally posted by Oinker

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; mso-ansi-: EN" lang=EN>This NFL season has been ruined & tainted by the use of replacement refs. Even if they bring back the 'real' refs i don't care if i see another game this season. Too many games have had the outcome altered by the replacement refs that have absolutely no business in the NFL. Most of them are ex-high school refs & retired arena league refs that have no clue how to referee an NFL game. ...sadly, i think i'm done with football this year.</SPAN>

No you're not. You'll still watch games cuz its the NFL. Even if people do stop watching, they'll always attract new fans with gambling, fantasy, drama etc. It's like Howard Stern. Some people wanted him off the radio but he got ratings.
I want the regular refs as much as anyone, but until that happens I'll adapt to life with the replacements. The NFL is in the "business" of " sports entertainment." I doubt they care if the brand is tainted. They're still raking in the $$$.

You’re free to 'adapt to life with the replacements.' This is not about life for me, it's nothing more than entertainment and I Will Not Watch. I Am Not A Mindless Sheep. Just like i don't watch 99% of the other crap that comes pouring out of the television. How the heck do you know what i watch & choose not to watch on television? Just because you know your own weakness & know that you can't stop watching what ever garbage is placed in front of you; don't think that others are just as weak. I'm well aware that my not watching nor supporting the NFL will have zero affect upon the issue at hand. I Simply Choose To NOT Watch Something That Is No Longer The Quality That It Should Be. I see it as a waste of my time & will not waste my time on the subpar NFL games that include the replacement refs.

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 7:06am
ESPN is reporting that the refs and NFL met until 2am last night. I think the reg refs just upped their demand based on the past weeks' results. Clap
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 7:22am
^ Article saying they have moved closer, and could possibly be back on the field this week (I assume that wouldn't include tomorrow's game though).
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 7:24am
Originally posted by Sintexo

^ Article saying they have moved closer, and could possibly be back on the field this week (I assume that wouldn't include tomorrow's game though).

I'd put money on it, if even they agreed today that they won't be on the field this weekend. I'd say week 5 at the earliest. The only reason I say that is because that's what Mort and Herm Edwards were saying this morning on ESPN.

Edit: I take that back. Adam Scheffter is reporting that they should be back on the field this weekend. This is from Scheffter on twitter.

"As @mortreport is reporting, an agreement between NFL and NFLRA is at hand and both sides will work to have officials working this weekend."
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 7:29am

Ya they must be getting closer, good old reliable Shefter just tweeted this.

As @mortreport is reporting, an agreement between NFL and NFLRA is at hand and both sides will work to have officials working this weekend.

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 7:32am
^ Yeah, none of the owners want to be the next Green Bay...
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 11:15am
I don't really know how the NFL does it. Maybe advertising? But people are drawn to football. Even if the product is bad. Niner games have sell out crowds. Even when they sucked. I can't remember the last time a Niners game was blacked out on tv. Whether its a bad team or poor officiating, football will be watched.
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 11:32am

I don't really know how the NFL does it. Maybe advertising? But people are drawn to football. Even if the product is bad. Niner games have sell out crowds. Even when they sucked. I can't remember the last time a Niners game was blacked out on tv. Whether its a bad team or poor officiating, football will be watched.
Broncos do not even need to advertise here, it's a way of life in Denver lol.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 11:35am
^ Same for the Cowboys in Dallas...Raiders in Oakland, in the other hand...not so much...people in Oakland wear their Raiders gear..but can't afford to show up for games.
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by lightning80

^ Same for the Cowboys in Dallas...Raiders in Oakland, in the other hand...not so much...people in Oakland wear their Raiders gear..but can't afford to show up for games.

They can't show up for the games because it isn't allowed by their probation officer.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 1:49pm

After that Pakers game I'd think the refs would hold the upper hand and the NFL would be ready to give them anything.  I'm not even a Pack fan and I was pissed about that call.  Damn I can't wait until they send the footlocker employees back and bring back the normal refs I'm acustom to being fired up at.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 2:02pm

I'm surprised that ppl are still gambling with these refs. Unless it increases the chances of the underdogs then I can understand but it can go either way with the way games have been called.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 3:07pm
It's a good and bad thing that this has happened, the obvious reasons for why it is a bad thing.

But a good thing because it seems to have kicked the ref talks into overdrive with the NFL not ruling out having the real refs back in place by Thursday nights game
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 7:18pm
So I hear that a deal is done with the regular refs. So when they finally do come back, no one is gonna complain about bad calls right?
RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 7:32pm
^ No one ever said that, as has been said several times the real refs make mistakes too, they are human afterall. I can guarantee you no one will be complaining near as much as with the scrub refs though, thats for sure.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2012 at 3:10am
I'm just glad that the deal is done so we can stop talking about the refs.  The best ref is the one that you don't remember.  Of course people are always going to complain about the refs, but hopefully in the future it's just people whining because their team lost.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2012 at 3:42am
Anyone Ravens or Browns fans?

I'd love to the Browns stick it to the ravens tonight
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2012 at 4:17am