Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sdip12 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Stash

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sdip12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off Season Questions (Bindings)
    Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 5:55am
Im not entirely sure if there is a post about this already but i couldnt find one, is there anyone that can help me out with what i should do with my board and bindings over the summer. I know that i should put a summer wax on my board and i have done that but what should i do with my bindings? should i leave them in or take them out? i have heard that if you leave them in they will warp your board or change its shape is this true? Also how often do you replace your base plates? and how often do you replace the screws for the base plates?
markyjas View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote markyjas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 6:06am
I replace my base plates if they break and screws if I lose them, they get rusty or just don't work anymore.  Bindings warping your board?  Hard to believe in my opinion.  Unless you have them on there so tight they are squeezing through, I can't imagine it would do anything.  Think about how much stress you put on it when you are riding.  I've had boards for several years, never took bindings off in the summer and never noticed any difference between seasons.  During the board making process heat and pressure bend it to its shape and then the epoxy that holds it together sets.  Basically, it would take a lot of force and heat to change the shape and you'd probably end up delaminating it if you tried.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 6:38am
I always take off my bindings or at least loosen them when I wax or store my boards for summer. If you wax a board with the bindings, you'll often find deeper pools of wax from the 'binding suck", which makes scraping more of a chore. I don't know if it hurts the board at all, but I usually remove my bindings to wax and definitely, take them off for summer storage. I have 3 boards, so taking the bindings off makes them easier to store.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
sdip12 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Stash

Quote sdip12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2012 at 1:24pm
Thank you both comments have been extremely helpful, what about the screws and baseplates if they have the scratches in them from screwing the screws in should I replace them or keep them? I believe that the grip will
Still hold but do you think it will wear over time? Also, in terms of tightening your bindings are ok suppose to tighten them as much as possible? Thank you for all the help again.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2012 at 1:28pm
If your screws are worn down then their grooves will be too so you're better off getting new screws before you wear out your board's grooves too then you're gonna be stuck with having to glue your screws to hold.  Screwing your bindings too tight may cause the screw to poke out of your board on the other side so your board's surface won't be flat anymore.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Lux View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2012 at 3:27pm
Stripping the threads on your pack inserts is hard to do, mostly because the fasteners (screws) are usually made of softer metal than the inserts. If you do damage the thread, you will need to chase them with a tap.

Should only tighten the screws enough to hold the binding down firmly. Use a riveted countersunk washer that will prevent backing out. Most high quality bindings today will already use them.
sdip12 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Stash

Quote sdip12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2012 at 1:41pm
Thank you that is extremely helpful and I'm glad I know more
About this, what about the base plates what if the ridges on that are wearing or
How do I tell if i need to replace those?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2012 at 1:47pm
it would be hard to get the mounting disks and baseplate teeth to the point they don't work.. you'd have to be purposely doing something wrong to cause that.. and i can't even think of anything.

their job is to link together and hold the binding in place.  if they stop doing that, it's time for something new.  this isn't really a problem that happens with bindings, although i'm sure some people have managed to mess it up somehow, but it's really quite simple.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 11:14am
I wouldn't worry about the baseplates unless they crack- unless you're doing something really kinky with them. They should last years. I have an old pair of Drake F-50's I've had for 5 years and the baseplates are still good- meaning they work/ aren't broken. I use my drakes as my backup bindings. I used my '08 cartels for the past 3 seasons and the baseplates are holding up fine. If you are really worried, most binding companies cover their baseplates with a warrantee. I think Burton has a lifetime warrantee, but I could be wrong. Anyways, it may be worth looking up or calling customer service if you are concerned. As Spencer said- baseplates are utiliarian. They either work, or they're broken. Not a lot in between. So, if yours work, you're good. Hope this helps.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
sdip12 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Stash

Quote sdip12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2012 at 5:16am
Thank you, this is extremely helpful. I am going to check on my base plates and see if they are in fact still holding up or if i will need new ones. Do either of you guys have the new union forces? The base plates on these bindings are not the highest quality i was wondering if any of you knew what i was talking about? Do you think those will hold up or should i get metal ones?
MurphyMasta View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote MurphyMasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2012 at 6:09am
I don't believe that any summer care is necessary. and i wouldn't wax it till a few days before the season starts. When the season ends i throw my board in my closet with bindings on and this has had no effects on my boards.
sdip12 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Stash

Quote sdip12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2012 at 10:14am
I just feel that all the summer wax and taking the bindings off will help make the boards last in the long run. I feel it will prolong the life of the boards. That is the primary reason for the summer care that i am looking to use on my board.

I also have a question in regards to chips and dings in the bindings, minor chips and dings will not majorly effect the bindings correct?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote MurphyMasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2012 at 10:34am
My boards usually only last about one season anyways cause i destroy them (bonking, rails, rocks)yeah those shouldn't effect the bindings performance as long as your idea of minor is the same as mine.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2012 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by MurphyMasta

My boards usually only last about one season anyways cause i destroy them (bonking, rails, rocks)yeah those shouldn't effect the bindings performance as long as your idea of minor is the same as mine.

You really know how to enjoy yourself don't ya?  But you're right though, it's minor issues that won't be that big of a deal as to break your gear.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote MurphyMasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2012 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

Originally posted by MurphyMasta

You really know how to enjoy yourself don't ya?  But you're right though, it's minor issues that won't be that big of a deal as to break your gear.
Yeah haha i put about 80 days on a board then it's usually toast. my weapon has 4-5 core shots, a cracked edge, scratches galore.
 Post Reply Post Reply