Books. What are you reading or what have you read-

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 23456 7>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Books. What are you reading or what have you read-
    Posted: Sep/01/2012 at 7:48am
Originally posted by steezemisterr

Ive got till Tuesday to finish reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley for school and I'm only on the second chapter, oh boy.

You still have 3 days, it's only 288 pages. Get after it.
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2012 at 8:40am
Reading the hobbit. Pretty goofy style, and very childish. Excited to finish so I can move on to lotr trilogy. 
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2012 at 4:47pm
Finished the hobbit, and starting on fellowship of the ring now. Already more mature reading, so it shouldnt be as tedious. 
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 8:22am
Originally posted by getkong

Finished the hobbit, and starting on fellowship of the ring now. Already more mature reading, so it shouldnt be as tedious. 

Ya LOTR trilogy blows away The Hobbit, they are much better written. However its pretty much mandatory to read the Hobbit. Probably some of the best fiction novels I have ever read though.

steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 11:24am
Well, finally finished Brave New World today. To bad its a week after I took the test though. Oh well good book none the less.
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 11:47am
I just finished Born To Run. I wasn't much of a runner before I read this book but recently I have been going out 3-4 times a week after reading it. I recommend it for anyone who wants to stay in shape.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 12:35pm
When I was in Chile, another snowboard gave be Scar Tissue (RHCP Anthony Kiedis) to read on the flight back.  strange, but a page turner

-zakk

julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 12:48pm
The Beach by Alex Garland. If you daydream about travelling, you'll probably like it. Great read, but what a horrible movie made from it. I usually like Danny Boyle films, too.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 7:57pm
I have to read the Iliad by Homer in English class. The book is so long and boring
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2012 at 9:25pm
Scar Tissue isn't a bad read when your reading about his childhood and the band getting started but I think it got a little repetitive with the junkie/clean/junkie
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 10:20am
Do graphic novels count here?  I've read a few from the library (yeah, some of us still use those places...)  "Ex Machina" and "Invincible" are both fun, different takes on superheroes than the standard Marvel/DC stuff.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 7:23am
As far as graphic novels go, I really enjoyed reading The Watchmen. Never saw the movie, but I heard the special effects were really well done.
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 8:52am
I may start reading The Walking Dead graphic novels
whitetiger View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote whitetiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 12:03pm
"An Unmarked Grave" by Charles Todd. Historical mystery that I just started. We'll see if I'm surprised.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 8:53pm
Just started to read truman capote's in cold blood
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2012 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by timpiper

Just started to read truman capote's in cold blood

Me too. Well I'm about 2/3 through. Great book so far.
shing02 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2012 at 12:04am
i decided to read up on 50shades because i heard there was going to be a movie on it soon...i don't know what i just read, the way things are described are quite...interesting...

on another note emma watson confirmed that she doesn't mind doing a nude sceneClapClapClapClapClap

i'll just leave that there...
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2012 at 3:11am
Originally posted by shing02

i decided to read up on 50shades because i heard there was going to be a movie on it soon...i don't know what i just read, the way things are described are quite...interesting...

on another note emma watson confirmed that she doesn't mind doing a nude sceneClapClapClapClapClap

i'll just leave that there...

I found it unreadable. I bought it for my wife, not knowing exactly what it was about. Started reading it and it was just stupid. This is one case where the movie has to be better than the book. 
sixpoint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sixpoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2012 at 3:21am
Ready to start reading Eat & Run by Scott Jurek.  His unlikely journey to ultramarathon greatness
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2012 at 7:03am
My brother in law is lending me Perks of Being a Wallflower but I forgot it at his house.
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2012 at 8:07am
Reading Black Boy by Richard Wright, its a pretty good book. Definitely pretty depressing though.
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2012 at 8:20am
just read the Wool Omnibus over the weekend, as well as it's prequel, First Shift - Legacy. About ~900 pages, and really engrossing.  Post apocalyptic type stuff, and reminded me a lot of Fallout.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2012 at 4:48pm
I'm reading the Merchant of Venice by Shakespeare in English class. I hate reading Shakespeare books because they're so hard to understand.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2012 at 7:09pm

just read the Wool Omnibus over the weekend, as well as it's prequel, First Shift - Legacy. About ~900 pages, and really engrossing.  Post apocalyptic type stuff, and reminded me a lot of Fallout.

Hey, that's next on my list.  I have the first one loaded on my phone.

I recently read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.  I enjoyed it, but the ending left something to be desired, it was so strong for quite awhile.  (I know I'm behind the times with that book, and I also haven't seen the movie.  That's next I guess.)

I'm just about done now with Cloud Atlas.  It's a Must Read folks!  I really enjoy the wrapping and warping of stories, and I'm getting pretty stoked for Oct 26th when the movie comes out.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
richardvoyageur View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 8:55am
I'm still chuggin' through Ender, Xenocide.  I find it to be brutal compared to Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead.  Way too much philosophy and not nearly enough of anything else.  It's killing me, but I don't really give up on books so I need to power through.

Thinking of reading Moby Dick after this, thoughts?
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 9:22am
Backcountry skiing in the Eastern Sierra!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 9:52am
Currently reading Addicted to Danger. Great mountaineering book. I highly recommend.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 10:00am
I'm currently reading a light novel, Sword Art Online, although I would rather read it as a physical book than online.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 11:22am
Originally posted by JDiggidy

I recently read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.  I enjoyed it, but the ending left something to be desired, it was so strong for quite awhile.  (I know I'm behind the times with that book, and I also haven't seen the movie.  That's next I guess.)

I'm just about done now with Cloud Atlas.  It's a Must Read folks!  I really enjoy the wrapping and warping of stories, and I'm getting pretty stoked for Oct 26th when the movie comes out.

I heard some parts of TGWtDT are painfully slow, and then it ends in a flurry (like the movie, i suppose).  I've only seen the original swedish, and it was pretty awesome.

Never heard of Cloud Atlas, but might have to check that out.
nickxcore View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote nickxcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 11:29am
Just began to read Dantes The Inferno, I have high expectations for this book so hopefully itll be good.
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 12:09pm
Just started to read Shantaram. It's about an escaped convict who flees Australia and lives in the slums in Bombay. At 944 pages this is my biggest book so far
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 10:09am

I heard some parts of TGWtDT are painfully slow, and then it ends in a flurry (like the movie, i suppose).  I've only seen the original swedish, and it was pretty awesome.

Never heard of Cloud Atlas, but might have to check that out.
Ya, there were  parts in Dragon Tattoo that I guess I could have skipped altogether (Milenium Mag stuff), but my sister had told me there was a huge twist, so I paid attention to every minute detail.  It really paid off, because I had a good notion of what the twist was, just not as crazy as it went off!

Cloud Atlas is a trip and a half.  You MUST read at least the first 1.5 - 2 "stories" in teh book for it to make sence.  The first story ends mid-sentence... Not even kidding.  It takes a while into the 2nd story for you to realize why it did, and how the book will utimately be laid out. 
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 12:18pm
Just finished Trainspotting by Irving Welsh. I almost feel half Scottish, 'even tho Ah'm no a wee bit Scottish'. A lot of the dialogue is printed phonetically. weird at first, but you get used to it.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 5:36am

Holy crap this is an amazing story.  I'm just into Book 4 - the Unraveling right now.  I really like the pacing, the language, and how he keeps forshadowing some things, and others are complete surprises.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 5:39am
I'm currently reading No Way Down: Life and Death on K2.  It's a great book so far.  A lot of deaths happen high on that mountain.  
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 12:14pm

Holy crap this is an amazing story.  I'm just into Book 4 - the Unraveling right now.  I really like the pacing, the language, and how he keeps forshadowing some things, and others are complete surprises.

Glad you're enjoying it.  If you decide to read the prequel, do so only after you're done with the whole wool omnibus.  it wasn't quite as good, but still worth a read.

Currently reading The Windup Girl, about a dystopian future with lots of plagues wiping out food supplies, and companies genetically modifying food that's sterile so they can reap profits, etc.  don't love it, but who knows, maybe it'll get better in the final 1/3.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 9:48pm
Robin Hood (the novel sized book)

First book I read as a kid. Thought I bring back some memories.
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by haiv143

Robin Hood (the novel sized book)First book I read as a kid. Thought I bring back some memories.

Speaking of child hood books. I was cleaning my room and found My side of the mountain. Totally going to reread it soon.
mao mao View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mao mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 5:38am
Enders Game 
Speaker for the Dead

Both are great!
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 9:45am

Currently reading The Windup Girl, about a dystopian future with lots of plagues wiping out food supplies, and companies genetically modifying food that's sterile so they can reap profits, etc.  don't love it, but who knows, maybe it'll get better in the final 1/3.

Finished the windup girl last week or so, and really didn't like it.  had a great premise, and could have been great, but i just hated the writing style, poor pacing, lack of character development, and a host of other problems.  i wouldn't recommend it.

also go 1/4 of the way through Zone One, a post apoc zombie book, but also didn't enjoy it, and just put it down.  The author seems to care more about the writing style and prose than about actually putting together a coherent story with any kind of characters you care about.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 2:46pm
I just finished reading The Trial and Death of Socrates for English class. It's so boring DX
Alpinbogen View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Alpinbogen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2012 at 3:26pm

I recently read, "No Easy Day".  Great story line of the seals and their ultimate assault on Bin Laden, but it still left big question marks with barely a mention of dumping his body at sea.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2013 at 4:13am
Just started
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2013 at 3:47pm
Reading The Dream Team by Jack McCallum really interesting so far, only about 50 pages in.
heinz View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote heinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2013 at 3:44am
anyone reading game of thrones? I really wanna get through it, but its such a hard read. Pages and pages of descriptions and sometimes I get lost so I have to wikipedia characters. my god, but when the action happens.. its like.. gold.
rosati777 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Calvin and Hobbes Extreme Sports

Quote rosati777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2013 at 12:03pm
Reading Contemporary & Classic Arguments. It's actually a really legit way to learn how to make arguments. I never thought of MLK's I have a Dream speech as an argument before. Also I never read his Letter From a Birmingham Jail. He's definitely a great writer
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2013 at 1:03pm
Anyone read Chuck Klosterman?  I have a book from him that I got as a gift.  Then I saw him in the Bo Jackson 30 for 30 and he was cool to listen to.  Haven't read anything by him yet though and I have a long list.
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2013 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by heinz

anyone reading game of thrones? I really wanna get through it, but its such a hard read. Pages and pages of descriptions and sometimes I get lost so I have to wikipedia characters. my god, but when the action happens.. its like.. gold.
NOT a hard read. had to read it for my writing class last quarter. kind of lengthy, but once you get the characters down, it goes by VERY quickly (=
Jaydoc08 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Jaydoc08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2013 at 1:11pm
Just finished the lotr series, now on the hobbit. Planned on reading it before watching the movie.
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2013 at 6:56pm
Currently reading Silver Linings playbook.

Slightly different than the movie but overall the movie is a great adaptation. Thinking back on Jennifer Lawrence ain't too bad either Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>