College Football 12-13

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 45678 11>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: College Football 12-13
    Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 3:41am
Originally posted by aussie-boarder

Man i love american football. :D
We just call it football here, because we're arrogant enough to name a sport we invent the same exact thing as a sport that everyone in else in the world plays and loves.
Viper713 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
First time ever snowboarding

Quote Viper713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 3:59am
Originally posted by GeckosGoMoo

I wasn't a fan of the uniforms at all actually. They look too much like the Red Raider uniform.
It crossed my mind they looked like the Raiders' uniforms during the game. My opinion, it is cool to have a special jersey every now and then but never get rid of the traditional ones.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 6:59am
Originally posted by bluepolkadot

go ducks!

I was actually surprised in that the Cougs totally played UO better than they did Colorado the week prior. Leach apparently seems to have learned his lesson to not ALWAYS go for it on 4th and short, as should be the case on say... anywhere between the 15 and 30 yd line) but I was disappointed that he didnt give it a go on the UO 3. No one's gonna be beating the Ducks with field goals; may as well go down fighting.

Originally posted by kushman182

Originally posted by Viper713

Originally posted by GeckosGoMoo

Woooooh, Nebraska beat Wisconsin! Nebraska finally gave its fans something to be proud of this year.
I was at this game, the stadium hasn't been this loud since playing Oklahoma about 5 years ago I think it was. The comeback got the crowd fired up and it was deafening when the blackshirts were on the field. The joys of college football!
That was a great game to watch, but it was way too nerve racking for me. I dont know what was said to them at half time but it was like a completely different team that second half, and its great to see that our team can make those needed adjustments. And did you see those uniforms? They were awesome!

Not terribly surprised Nebraska won, but when i saw the 20-3 score midway through the second, I was kinda shocked. Didn't expect em to pull out the win at that point. Musta been one hell of a halftime speech! lol Also, I am totally with you Kush; those uniforms (on both sides, i thought) were quite awesome!
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2012 at 5:01pm
This thread got dead in a hurry!

I watched the ND/Stanford game today, thoroughly expecting the Cardinal to take it. I was pretty impressed at how well both defenses played (though, the sloppy field conditions made offense pretty difficult to begin with). I don't like ND, and really just hate hearing about em year after year.. but they played a solid game. SOunded like their backup qb has closed a number of games for em.. which sounds odd. but kudos all the same.

In non-top-25 ball, my Cougs play the Cal Bears tonight.. Both have struggled this season, and I'm hoping this will allow WSU to grab its first conference win of the season. The rest of the schedule doesn't get any easier, so they need the confidence boost now more than ever.
Viper713 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Viper713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 6:13am
I was thinking the same thing on the fact this thread pretty much had no activity! I'm the same way with ND, but they are at least playing decent this year. In the past they usually get so hyped and pre-season ranked but never live up to being anything.

Did anyone see the Oklahoma/Texas game? Quite the whipping, Texas is going to fall in the rankings big time I would bet. I should know... since Nebraska did the same thing last week with getting stomped on.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2012 at 1:29pm

I was thinking the same thing on the fact this thread pretty much had no activity! I'm the same way with ND, but they are at least playing decent this year. In the past they usually get so hyped and pre-season ranked but never live up to being anything.

Did anyone see the Oklahoma/Texas game? Quite the whipping, Texas is going to fall in the rankings big time I would bet. I should know... since Nebraska did the same thing last week with getting stomped on.

Ain't that the truth.. THey're not even in the top 25 anymore.

The Cougs best running back and star wide receiver were injured early in the game against Cal, which pretty much sealed the deal. WSU ran the ball only 18 times for 36 yards.. It's pretty easy to cover a team when you KNOW they're gonna pass. Rough one to watch.
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2012 at 3:46am
Kind of funny to see how bad the early season rankings are.  West Virginia snuck up to #5 after beating Texas last week, and Texas only dropped to #15 with the loss.  Then this week both of them got absolutely hammered.  WVA by 35 and Texas by 42.  So as it turns out, that 48-45 shootout that you watched last week was between to very average teams, not national powerhouses.
Viper713 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Viper713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 3:45am

I agree. It's also crazy how much some of these teams change over the course of the season, and some early losses before they figured out the bugs ruins certain bowl chances. Just another reason a playoff system could be a great thing for really giving the right teams the chance.

j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 7:08am
The playoff system is indeed a good idea, and I'd add that rankings should not be allotted until week 5 or 6 of the season. Give teams a chance to prove themselves before assigning numbers and statistics to em all, and ruling teams in/out prematurely.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Online Status: Online
  Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by j_lucky84

The playoff system is indeed a good idea, and I'd add that rankings should not be allotted until week 5 or 6 of the season. Give teams a chance to prove themselves before assigning numbers and statistics to em all, and ruling teams in/out prematurely.
     /\
    //\\    This! 
     ||           

Pre-season rankings in college are so completely worthless.  Take a team that was "supposed" to be great, not just good (this year take Texas, maybe LSU), and they automatically lower the expectations and rankings of some other more surprise teams.

Take a Neutared Dame this year (I can't stand them btw, just proving my point I guess).  They have come from way down and gone up the hard way.  But if they stumble, wich a lot of teams do, they will fall farther dis-proportionally to those who started out way too high to begin with. 

I understand pre-season rankings are a great draw for those people in charge, and it gives them something to do in July and early August... but college teams just change too much each year to make it fair.  But, college football probably isn't about being equal now, is it?
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
KidFlippy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote KidFlippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by JDiggidy

Pre-season rankings in college are so completely worthless.  Take a team that was "supposed" to be great, not just good (this year take Texas, maybe LSU), and they automatically lower the expectations and rankings of some other more surprise teams.

UT has been crazy overrated the past 3 years simply because of their name. You can't really blame the pollsters though based on the talent they get every year. It's a shame Mack can recruit so many great athletes and then figure out a way to make them look terrible. Given the talent they bring in it has to point towards poor coaching to not have them competing for a national championship every year. Look what Alabama has done with that type of talent and good coaching.
mho223 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mho223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 1:00pm
North carolina all the way!
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by mho223

North carolina all the way!

Haha... This is a joke right. The ACC isn't relevant in college football.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2012 at 2:53pm
LOL, yah that kinda came out of left field. Even the ACC "powerhouses" get their big dose of humble pie come bowl game time (2-6 in bowl games last year, 4-5 in 2010, 3-4 in '09, 4-6 in '08). That's a combined 13-21.

Speaking of powerhouses, in the same period of time, the SEC has gone 23-14. Oddly enough, since the inception of the Bowl Challenge Cup (in 2002), which awards a trophy each year to the conference with the best bowl-game record, the SEC has not taken home the title. I really have a distaste for the SEC, so this little bit of info was a gem!
Viper713 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Viper713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 3:37am
The biggest thing I can see about them taking away pre-season rankings is if they do it for this college sport then there will be pressure to do it for all sports. And in some regards it's nice to see who to watch, who to cheer against (cough Texas), etc. But I do agree it's hard for the smaller teams or teams with weaker schedules to get the notice they might deserve. It does put a lot of pressure on high-ranked teams to execute and be picked apart.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 5:27am

I also failed to mention some other teams that were ranked high earlier this year:  Both of the big schools from the mitten state.  So when Nutarded Dane goes and beats Michigan, it looked like a big deal... but really, it was a mediocre team beating a team that was way too highly ranked in the first place.  So ND went way up the polls for no aparant reason.  But you can't go back now and say that Michigan wasn't that good, so we should knock ND down a few pegs.

How about USC? they were "supposed" to play for a national title this year... They have completely dropped off the radar now.

Now, I do understand why they do it... I just wish it wasn't so.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2012 at 6:23am

The biggest thing I can see about them taking away pre-season rankings is if they do it for this college sport then there will be pressure to do it for all sports. And in some regards it's nice to see who to watch, who to cheer against (cough Texas), etc. But I do agree it's hard for the smaller teams or teams with weaker schedules to get the notice they might deserve. It does put a lot of pressure on high-ranked teams to execute and be picked apart.

While it does put "pressure" on high ranked teams to execute/win, it doesn't force those teams, especially if they play in a power conference, to WIN a tough non-conference schedule. They can walk through a couple easy FCS teams, then be healthy and 100% for when they play other initially-high ranked teams. The SEC is a perfect example of this.

I also failed to mention some other teams that were ranked high earlier this year:  Both of the big schools from the mitten state.  So when Nutarded Dane goes and beats Michigan, it looked like a big deal... but really, it was a mediocre team beating a team that was way too highly ranked in the first place.  So ND went way up the polls for no aparant reason.  But you can't go back now and say that Michigan wasn't that good, so we should knock ND down a few pegs.

How about USC? they were "supposed" to play for a national title this year... They have completely dropped off the radar now.

Now, I do understand why they do it... I just wish it wasn't so.

You make some really good points. ESPECIALLY with the ND's opponents. The (20)ND/(10)Mich State game was supposed to be one of the more epic early games of the season, but ND all but wiped the floor with em... Then hosted a then 18th ranked Michigan squad, and eked out a victory. Mich hasn't moved a whole lot since then, but had those rankings not been around for the first 4 weeks, those numbers wouldn't mean as much. I will hand it to ND though; they signed theirselves up for a brutal schedule this season, and have been playing solidly. They fully deserve the rating they have now, but it does beg the question "how much different would these polls look if the first 4 weeks were unranked?

I know half the time those numbers are up there just to grab rankings from markets they might not otherwise get... Cuz at the start of a season, there's not a big target market for games like Clemson at Florida State. Fans will follow the teams they want to follow, whether it be cheering for or against em. Early rankings are just a flashy way to allow the big schools strut their stuff, and leave smaller teams in their wake.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2012 at 6:56am
Cmon, people! this should be one of the best non-snowboard related threads out there! 124 FBS teams alone to cheer for provides a lot of opportunity!

My girlfriend's coworker offered a wager (a whopping $5) on the game between Oregon and Arizona State last night. He was gonna put his money on the Sun Devils.. and while I cant stand Nike U., this was some easy money that I couldn't pass up! Unfortunately he came to his senses as he saw my eyes light up when he offered the deal of easy money.. and quickly rescinded his offer. BUMMER.. that game was an absolute ROUT. 43-7 at halftime.. YIKES.

I know it's getting to be that time when the BCS predictions are being made, and everyone's talking about the potential matchup between Bama/UO.. but I'm not so sure this one favors the Ducks. The Ducks DEFINITELY have the decisive speed advantage over everyone they've played this season, but that was also the case in the championship game between them and Auburn 2 seasons ago. Auburn may have been slightly slower than UO, but that was more than compensated for in sheer size; and I really don't see that being much different with Bama this year.

Of course, I don't want to get ahead of myself; the ducks still have games AT USC, hosting Furd, and one AT ORST (haven't seen them play much this year and can't help but feel they're slightly over-ranked). But rankings don't matter so much in those pinnacle rivalry games. Each team gives 111% of what they've got, and any year it's anyone's match.
TranTheDoctor View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote TranTheDoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2012 at 9:11am
Rooting for Rutgers, I'm a student there. Hopefully going for an undefeated season.
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 1:47pm
Go Blue a nice field goal to end the game and beat Sparty 12-10. It was an ugly game but a win is a win. Also the Gators proved they are #2 in the nation putting a beat down on SC
kushman182 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 2:39pm
Ok so a win is a win and im happy Nebraska got it done away from home but if we keep having games like this im gonna have an anorism
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 6:20pm
Lost the big game. Cal sucks. Gave up 21 early and shut out Stanford the 2nd half, but did nothing on offense.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 9:19pm
BYU came very close to beating Notre Dame today.. I have seldom found myself rooting for the Mormon squad, but that was certainly the case this afternoon. ND really has an impressively difficult schedule, and they showed some toughness rallying today. We'll see whether they can keep the momentum going when they visit Norman next Saturday.

Originally posted by TranTheDoctor

Rooting for Rutgers, I'm a student there. Hopefully going for an undefeated season.

Way to keep the streak goin today :). Hope ya guys end up in a decent bowl. If you can make it through louisville and Cincy, ya should get a pretty solid one :).

Originally posted by HAVEN2135

Go Blue a nice field goal to end the game and beat Sparty 12-10. It was an ugly game but a win is a win. Also the Gators proved they are #2 in the nation putting a beat down on SC

Ehhhh.. I really don't like Oregon, but they were anticipated to have a close game with ASU, and EASILY could have run that score up in to triple digits. Leaving your starters in for 4 quarters against a far inferior opponent doesn't prove anything.
From the associated press: "The Gators managed just 29 yards and two first downs in the first half against South Carolina (6-2, 4-2). But they led 21-6 thanks to three turnovers." Yes, the defense was overpowering, but even with a number of short field opportunities, 29 first half yards is hardly what one would call "dominating". Florida had fewer first downs than SC, fewer total yards, and managed only 88 yards on 48 rushes. In addition to that, they were penalized 7 times for 74 yards. I won't argue too much on that last one, as Oregon is the most penalized team in the country, but those are some ugly numbers.

Originally posted by solocreep

Lost the big game. Cal sucks. Gave up 21 early and shut out Stanford the 2nd half, but did nothing on offense.

Yeah, that's a pretty ugly loss... but at least you didn't lose to my Cougs :'( lol.
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 12:03am
Texas Tech triple OT game was sweet, 7 TD's by Doege. There's a number of QB's chucking up huge numbers its great to watch
Viper713 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Viper713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 6:08am

Tons of great rivalry games and some revenge games yesterday. This is what makes college football exciting! And also causes heart problems haha. Glad the huskers won, despite the mistakes. I will say Northwestern has a good program building, I like seeing teams get rebuilt and become a threat. Hopefully they start to get their fan-base up. Crazy seeing that much red at their stadium!

j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 10:43am

Tons of great rivalry games and some revenge games yesterday. This is what makes college football exciting! And also causes heart problems haha. Glad the huskers won, despite the mistakes. I will say Northwestern has a good program building, I like seeing teams get rebuilt and become a threat. Hopefully they start to get their fan-base up. Crazy seeing that much red at their stadium!

Yea man! Northwestern played tough! Pat Fitzgerald has done a decent job with that program since taking over in 2006. His first season went 4-8, improved the next year to 6-6, further improved the next year to 9-3 (lost a bowl game to Mizzou). They've been in bowl games every year since, though they haven't won one. And their record has steadily declined (one win each year) in the past 3 years, but they've matched their win total for last season, so they should be able to get another bowl game this winter.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 8:20pm
Notre dame is winning by the skin of their teeth at this point but its really cool to see them at 7-0
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2012 at 7:33am
No it's not! I was sooooooo rooting for BYU over the weekend. I'll stop hating ND so much a year after Lou Holtz shuts the #*()@ up about them being an elite team lol.

ANd how the HELL did K State move up to 3 in the rankings?! Yes, they beat WV at WV by a considerable margin, but we saw in the Baylor/WVU game that the Mountaineers have absolutely NO defense. K State does, sooo that absolutely SHOULD have been an easy victory.
Florida didn't necessarily do anything to move up/down in the rankings, and we all know the BCS favors the SEC (god i cant wait for the playoff system next year!). I am really just arguing this cuz i want to see Oregon face Bama at the end of the year. I hate both the teams, but watching Oregon get throttled would be rather entertaining.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2012 at 7:38am

No it's not! I was sooooooo rooting for BYU over the weekend. I'll stop hating ND so much a year after Lou Holtz shuts the #*()@ up about them being an elite team lol.ANd how the HELL did K State move up to 3 in the rankings?! Yes, they beat WV at WV by a considerable margin, but we saw in the Baylor/WVU game that the Mountaineers have absolutely NO defense. K State does, sooo that absolutely SHOULD have been an easy victory. Florida didn't necessarily do anything to move up/down in the rankings, and we all know the BCS favors the SEC (god i cant wait for the playoff system next year!). I am really just arguing this cuz i want to see Oregon face Bama at the end of the year. I hate both the teams, but watching Oregon get throttled would be rather entertaining.

Don't worry, OU will beat ND next weekend. Also I think Oregon should be ranked ahead of K-State. There is no way that K-State's D is stopping the Ducks offense. I'm hoping to see an Alabama vs. Oregon National Championship.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2012 at 8:05am
^^ - It looks like to me that K-State jumped up because of a weighted computer ranking.  Oregon hasn't gotten yet to the "meat" of it's schedule, while K-State has already beaten Oklahoma and others.  This should change. (But the computers will give K-S a boost yet if OK beats the hell out of ND this weekend.)

I know it seems odd, but I just don't trust Alabama... they aren't quite what they used to be.  My problem with the bit O is that they seem to really see-saw, up one week, not as up the next. 
Viper713 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Viper713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2012 at 3:56am

^^ - It looks like to me that K-State jumped up because of a weighted computer ranking.  Oregon hasn't gotten yet to the "meat" of it's schedule, while K-State has already beaten Oklahoma and others.  This should change. (But the computers will give K-S a boost yet if OK beats the hell out of ND this weekend.)

I know it seems odd, but I just don't trust Alabama... they aren't quite what they used to be.  My problem with the bit O is that they seem to really see-saw, up one week, not as up the next. 
I agree about Bama not looking quite as good... but I haven't seen a team yet that week in and week out looks solid enough to beat them. I also feel I have heard a lot of teams that are "younger" this year.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2012 at 9:59am
Bama hasn't had an incredibly difficult schedule to date either (and their one win over a ranked team is overrated, as it's obvious Mich isn't as good as preseason rankings suspected). With that, they SHOULD look good against the opponents they've faced. They do face 3 current top-25 teams in the next 3 weeks, so while no one has argued whether they belong in the top spot, it will be difficult to pass them if they can continue to take care of business.

The Gators visit the Bulldogs this weekend, which should be a good match, but then they host 3 scrub teams. Even assuming wins in all those games leading to the rivalry at FSU, I don't see Florida retaining their #2 ranking until then (also assuming the rest of the teams in this list keep winning).

KState has another pivotal game this weekend against Texas Tech. Assuming they win that one, they should retain their #3 ranking through the weekend. They then host Oklahoma State, then visit TCU. The Big 12 has been beating each other up all year, so any one of those games poses the threat of an upset. Wins in all these games could likely bump KState over the Gators.

The Ducks have a cakewalk game hosting Colorado this Saturday, then will be visiting the Trojans who will definitely be out for blood (UO edged USC 38-35 in Eugene last season). Follow that with visiting a soft Cal team, hosting Stanford, then heading to Corvallis for the Civil War (which is a fight-to-the-death match regardless of rankings, but now that the Beavs are in the 7 spot, those become some serious bragging rights). It's not the roughest schedule on paper of the group, but poses a huge risk to Oregon's bowl situation.

The ND/Oklahoma game this weekend should get huge ratings. Both from fans of the programs, and fans of other programs that want to see their school move up when one of these teams gets bumped off the wagon. My gf loves the shiny homosexual helmets the Irish have been sporting, so I'm sure it'll be on my tv too lol.

timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2012 at 4:46pm
Not sure if notre dame can keep winning like they have been but this weekend will be their toughest test
Viper713 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Viper713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2012 at 7:59pm
The Big 12 has been beating each other a lot. Being a Nebraska fan, I miss the old Big 12. I grew up with that conference and the rivalries were great. It will be interesting to see if KState can keep it going.

Oregon vs USC game should be a good one. I can honestly say I will be rooting for Oregon, just haven't been a big fan of USC over the years.

ND/Oklahoma should be great. Both programs with so much history, just that Oklahoma has had more recent success. Does ND still use real gold when painting their helmets? I was told yes but never sure if that is just a rumor.... you know, with today's economy haha.

Nebraska vs Michigan is a big game for the Legends division of the Big 10. I hope it is a fun game to watch. Both quarterbacks have multiple threats which should keep things interesting.
frankdatank View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote frankdatank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2012 at 8:09pm
If Alabama wills out their season I don't see an anyone who could beat them in the final
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 7:01am
My god... i'm starting to dispise mike golich on espn radio's mike & mike in the morning.  all that show has turned into is a neutral dame love fest.

I never dreamed I'd say this.  This may be the first and last time ever, but here it goes: "go sooners."
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 7:54am
Originally posted by frankdatank

If Alabama wills out their season I don't see an anyone who could beat them in the final

That's really not all too much of an intuitive prediction. Alabama hasn't played anyone of significant substance yet, so they haven't been tested. Not being tested allows your team to look a lot stronger than they might be playing someone of similar caliber. Playing three ranked teams in the next 3 weeks will provide some opportunity to show what they have, but only one of those teams is in the top 10 (LSU) and i think even the Tigers might be a bit overrated.

On that note, Oregon hasn't really had a good opponent yet, (and the ranked teams they have played have been in Eugene). USC will definitely be their proving ground game. USC is pretty much out of national championship contention at this point, but they would love to play spoiler of Duck hopes. I would be surprised if UO left their starters in for any longer than a quarter against Colorado. They'll want to be as healthy as possible for the next week's bout.

The Gators have had a number of trial games, and are now in the cake-walk portion of their schedule. They should be 100% when they get to the Florida State match.

KState has had a couple tests (none too crazy difficult), but the big-12 is a slaughterfest this year, and the risks of each of those games nearly outweights the rewards of winning them. Any loss in the coming weeks will pretty much eliminate KState from contention.

And while I don't like ND, if they finish their season undefeated, with their brutal schedule, I would argue that they deserve a national champ bid over any of the above-mentioned teams. And I might even be forced to root for em in that case. SCARY!

cds4288 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cds4288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2012 at 12:08pm
Well it looks like the greatest team ever, ALABAMA, is going to win the whole thing again this year. Playoff system should be interesting when they bring that into play.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2012 at 7:16am
I've been meaning to post this for the past couple days, but keep forgetting... Has anyone noticed that Penn State is 5-0 since starting the season 0-2?! And they are now 2nd in the Leaders division of the Big 12. They'll likely lose this weekend against the Buckeyes, but they still have a couple winnable games on their schedule. I don't think too many saw that coming!
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mrrorydigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2012 at 8:13am

I've been meaning to post this for the past couple days, but keep forgetting... Has anyone noticed that Penn State is 5-0 since starting the season 0-2?! And they are now 2nd in the Leaders division of the Big 12. They'll likely lose this weekend against the Buckeyes, but they still have a couple winnable games on their schedule. I don't think too many saw that coming!
For the SEC followers out there. This Penn St. team is winning games with the much maligned former Auburn DC Ted Roof. Who was the scapegoat fot the teams struggles in 2011. His defense is competitive while AU is a dumpster fire at a lovely 1-6. Things that make you go hmmmmm...
360faceplant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 360faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2012 at 8:43am
Originally posted by mrrorydigital

For the SEC followers out there. This Penn St. team is winning games with the much maligned former Auburn DC Ted Roof. Who was the scapegoat fot the teams struggles in 2011. His defense is competitive while AU is a dumpster fire at a lovely 1-6. Things that make you go hmmmmm...

Look who the 5 wins are against. Mostly mediocre or garbage teams.  They beat decent Northwestern team that's it.  And are you really comparing the crap show that is the Big 10 this year to the SEC..c'mon.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2012 at 9:16am
The wins may not be against powerhouses, but they ARE wins! And it's not like the losses they had were to GOOD teams either. Was just surprised they came back after an obvious struggle at the start of the season. :)
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mrrorydigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2012 at 9:18am
Look who Auburn's one win this year is against. Louisana-Monroe in overtime. Schedule aside it's still impressive to see a team win with a depleted roster and nothing to play for. My point was not to hype up Penn St. It was pointing out that Roof's defensive scheme is not bad. If you're familiar with the story, the people around the Auburn program ran Roof off for being incompetent. He took(was advised to seek employment elsewhere) a job at Central Florida a year after helping AU win the BCS NC. So to make a long story even longer Roof took a ton of flack for a meddling head coach and you see the results. This same head coach, who is a defensive coach, is now calling plays on the offensive side of the ball at which has resulted in the worst Auburn football season since 1952.
Viper713 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Viper713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2012 at 3:33am

I find it a little impressive that Penn State is fired up enough to win those games. After all that has happened and then not being eligble for post-season, as a student that might make you a little bitter to give it your all.

It's also interesting to watch Ohio State and Penn State lead the Leaders division... so basically the 3rd place team will go to the Big 10 Championship game if they keep it up.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2012 at 5:06am
I picked some major upsets today. I put $5 on a 3 team parlay to win $250. Tech over K state, Georgia over Florida and ND over OK. Doubtful it will happen but if it does I'm buying another board!
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2012 at 7:37am

I find it a little impressive that Penn State is fired up enough to win those games. After all that has happened and then not being eligble for post-season, as a student that might make you a little bitter to give it your all.

It's also interesting to watch Ohio State and Penn State lead the Leaders division... so basically the 3rd place team will go to the Big 10 Championship game if they keep it up.

I know right! lol. It's definitely lookin like Wisconsin has that one in the bag, as the rest of the Leaders division SUUUUUCKS. Wisc seems to be having a bit of a rebuilding year (they're winning... but not as much as preseason polls seemed to suspect). but reaching the champ game and having a shot at the rose bowl bid is a pretty good morale boost.

I wish i had a DVR to tape the ND/Okla game today; I'm gonna be out doing a bit of Halloween celebrating, and i expect that game to be awesome.

Originally posted by letourneau41

I picked some major upsets today. I put $5 on a 3 team parlay to win $250. Tech over K state, Georgia over Florida and ND over OK. Doubtful it will happen but if it does I'm buying another board!

Those are some bold picks, sir! Do you happen to know what the payout would've been if you had picked the exact opposite?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2012 at 8:48am
Originally posted by letourneau41

Those are some bold picks, sir! Do you happen to know what the payout would've been if you had picked the exact opposite?
[/QUOTE]

I do not.  I would imagine it would have been around $15-20 .
DCC View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
East Coast Rider

Quote DCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2012 at 3:17pm
u guys see that lattimore injury in the south carolina game?? not a pretty sight at all. 
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2012 at 11:10pm
too many upsets today....
And USC? don't even get me started -.- theyve been falling apart.
Viper713 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Viper713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2012 at 5:59am

I know right! lol. It's definitely lookin like Wisconsin has that one in the bag, as the rest of the Leaders division SUUUUUCKS. Wisc seems to be having a bit of a rebuilding year (they're winning... but not as much as preseason polls seemed to suspect). but reaching the champ game and having a shot at the rose bowl bid is a pretty good morale boost.

I wish i had a DVR to tape the ND/Okla game today; I'm gonna be out doing a bit of Halloween celebrating, and i expect that game to be awesome.
Yeah, Wisconsin is not as strong as the past few years. And them losing to Michigan St yesterday doesn't help them haha.

I saw parts of the ND/Okla game (was focused on Neb/Mich, which was a battle back and forth until Denard Robinson got hurt). ND just took off in the 4th quarter! In Oklahoma's final drive attempt, the snap went rolling under Landry Jones' legs into the endzone. They just mentally did not have it together and ended up turning it over on 4th down in ND territory.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>