2012 London Olympics

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 7>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012 London Olympics
    Posted: Jul/26/2012 at 11:09pm
Surely such an even warrants it's on thread.

To kick things off any predictions on the top 5 in the medal tally?
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 5:49am
Originally posted by mj2delmenico

Surely such an even warrants it's on thread.

To kick things off any predictions on the top 5 in the medal tally?
My guess would be the 5 nations with the most competitors.  Maybe not quite that cut and dry, but at the very least, 5 of the top 7.  Is it just me, or are the Olympics not that interesting?  I remember thinking they were cool when I was younger, but now I just can't muster up any interest.
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 6:16am
Heres the schedule for anyone interested.

Hopefully the excitement will ramp up when the competitiveness between the top countries gets going.
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 6:20am
Well I think the summer olympics is pretty entertaining.  Winter is unwatchable, except for a few events.  Some summer events have lost their luster since I was a kid, most notably, Basketball.  

Gymnastics is the highlight, but I like the track and field, and look forward to seeing Tennis this year.

And if you haven't heard of Bladerunner yet, I think that will be an amazing story, even if the race only lasts 20 seconds.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 7:44am
I think the Olympics in the past had more interest because there weren't as many international events as we have now. So many of the athletes were facing each other for the first time. Now, the Olympics are just one of the events/venues on a schedule.

Also, there just isn't as much national pride. There isn't that "us vs them" mentality since many of the athletes actually live or work or train outside of their country of origin. You might be cheering for France or Argentina because Tony Parker and Manu work for the San Antonio Spurs, for example. The big headline for swimming is pitting Phelps and Lochte, and they're from the same country. When it was nations against nations, people were more vested. It's just not like that any more.

Personally, I like to watch the Track & Field, basketball, and swimming. And I think USA, China, and Germany are going to take home the most medals, in that order.
JoeRocket1212 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote JoeRocket1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 7:56am
huh...  i was about to say it was just grapeape...  but i guess other people feel the same way.  i only gained interest in the Olympics last time around.  maybe a little the time before that.  but i am enjoying it more and more in my opinion.  i mean, i root for my country, but it isn't as aggressive rooting as it might be for a football team...  but i think it's still pretty fun to watch.  maybe it's just me then...
jjfreak View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote jjfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 7:58am
South Korea kicked ass in archery!!!
WOOT WOOT!!!
Hope they sweep the medals
PROCRASTINATION - Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 8:12am
Some of the best names competing in the Oly's:

Fanny Babou, swimming, France
Jack Butland, soccer, Great Britain
Imran Butt
, hockey, Pakistan
Linas Butt
, hockey, Germany
Rehan Butt
, hockey, Pakistan
(3 Butts in hockey, hmmmm...)
Karen (she'll make your) Cockburn, trampoline, Canada
Dong Dong, trampoline, China
Florian Fuchs
, hockey, Germany
Michael Fuchs
, badminton, Germany
Hulk, soccer, Brazil
Yoo Suk Kim, pole vault, South Korea
Milica Mandic
, taekwondo, Serbia
Peter Mankoc
, swimming, Slovenia
Werner Muff, equestrian, Switzerland
Victoria Poon, swimming, Canada
And now a couple Gingers:
Amanda Redhead
, track, Grenada
Joel Redhead, track, Grenada
Gavin Smellie, track, Canada
Liam Tancock, swimming, Great Britain
Aichen Wang, sailing, China

So, if the Canadian track star married the Canadian swimmer would her hyphenated name be Victoria Smellie-Poon?
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 11:40am
I'll probably only watch the ceremonies.  I much prefer the Winter Olympics, tho it bothers me I still haven't been able to try out a snowboardcross course.
JBburton 18 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 11:55am
im not a fan of either olympics really.  summer more than winter now though, and you can thank FIS for that.  some of that gymnastics shit is insane, and i do enjoy the soccer (though i look forward to world cup more).  track and field is track and field.  other things are not so exciting.  oh and last but not least, can't forget about beach volleyball.  

winter has become too political for me.  i haven't payed too much attention to the TTR/FIS lately, but if nothing has changed, i think it is complete BULL SHIT that a rider would have to throw away an entire season with TTR just in hopes to qualify for the olympics in preliminary events that really don't help you in any other way.  just confuses me really.
shredBATALEON: (4:06 PM) dude jb your being such a dutch bag man
JBburton 18 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 11:58am
Originally posted by ctoma

Some of the best names competing in the Oly's:

Fanny Babou, swimming, France
Jack Butland, soccer, Great Britain
Imran Butt
, hockey, Pakistan
Linas Butt
, hockey, Germany
Rehan Butt
, hockey, Pakistan
(3 Butts in hockey, hmmmm...)
Karen (she'll make your) Cockburn, trampoline, Canada
Dong Dong, trampoline, China
Florian Fuchs
, hockey, Germany
Michael Fuchs
, badminton, Germany
Hulk, soccer, Brazil
Yoo Suk Kim, pole vault, South Korea
Milica Mandic
, taekwondo, Serbia
Peter Mankoc
, swimming, Slovenia
Werner Muff, equestrian, Switzerland
Victoria Poon, swimming, Canada
And now a couple Gingers:
Amanda Redhead
, track, Grenada
Joel Redhead, track, Grenada
Gavin Smellie, track, Canada
Liam Tancock, swimming, Great Britain
Aichen Wang, sailing, China

So, if the Canadian track star married the Canadian swimmer would her hyphenated name be Victoria Smellie-Poon?
or if the track guy married the trampoline star their name would be "smellie-cockburn"
shredBATALEON: (4:06 PM) dude jb your being such a dutch bag man
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 12:11pm

Those are all fantastic (ctoma tell me you didn't take the time to find those on your own).  There is a published Nevada case with a Plaintiff by the name of "Hung Phuc Duong" that I always thought was in fairly solid contention for best name ever. 

"Aichen Wang" is great too, though

(118 Nev. 920 if you're interested)

-b
get bent
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 12:15pm
that dude's name is Hulk??
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

Those are all fantastic (ctoma tell me you didn't take the time to find those on your own).  There is a published Nevada case with a Plaintiff by the name of "Hung Phuc Duong" that I always thought was in fairly solid contention for best name ever. 

"Aichen Wang" is great too, though

-b

No sir, a local sports talk program was discussing some of the more "interesting" names competing in the Olympics so when I got back to work I goggle'd it and found several lists.  I picked my favorites from those lists and viola.

Aichen Wang is awesome, especially is he was a gymnast and straddled the pommel horse...
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by jjfreak

South Korea kicked ass in archery!!!
WOOT WOOT!!!
Hope they sweep the medals

Yep, the blind Archer set a couple records today.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 12:59pm
^Blind archer? That's amazing! Yeah hope South Korea get some medals.
jon98gn View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jon98gn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 1:02pm
I wish I could watch more of the events live. Alas I think NBC is withholding them until the Opening Ceremony.
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 2:54pm
Usain Bolt is a huge drawcard, also the basketball is entertaining.
RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 6:10pm
Opening ceremony was pretty cool. Looking forward to USA basketball tearing it up
Duneluder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Duneluder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 10:16pm
Honestly I thought the opening ceremony was kinda "meh" The industrial revolution part was pretty cool with the rings and all that...but the weird doctor/kids on the beds/girl and guy and texting and whatever the hell that was....was weird. It didn't seem to make much sense for the opening of the Olympics...

The Queen looked bored as hell through the whole thing...even "opening the games" was pretty terrrible. She had one line and she had to read the thing off a piece of paper...she didn't even react when the blind kids sang God Save the Queen. WTF!

But! I watched pretty much the whole thing any way and the final fireworks show was pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to some of the events but I probably won't seek it out....just if I'm watching TV I'll check out the progress.....

Winter Olympics are much more interesting....for obvious reasons (This being a snowboarding forum)

Just my .02

Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2012 at 10:43pm
I liked all the music and dancing within the opening ceremony, didn't like the mr. bean section though. The fireworks were very impressive at the end
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 11:13am
The opening ceremony was just too disjointed. It was pretty cool from grass to industry, but the rest was a bit flat. 
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 11:27am
I'm not following the Olympics but so far, I've heard nothing but drama such as Phelps drama,
 long jumper chick getting kicked off the team, guys having issue with horse vault material that China's best guy withdrew, North Korea's women soccer team refused to go out until the dictator said they can because the wrong flag was displayed, etc.  

Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 11:46am
Ryan Lochte beat Michael Phelps in the 400m individual medley.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 11:47am
I could care less about the summer games.  I think they should get rid of the summer stuff and just have the winter every two yearsBig smile
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 11:56am
That's a bit contradicting. In one sentence you say you care about the summer Olympics then in the next you say they should get rid of it.
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 11:57am
Originally posted by getkong

The opening ceremony was just too disjointed. It was pretty cool from grass to industry, but the rest was a bit flat. 

I didnt care for the opening ceremony at all.

Way too much random stuff happening all at once.

Big dissapointment. Thumbs Down

The only part I liked was Mr. Bean. .......and the olympic rings in the air coming together was pretty cool.
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 12:50pm
kinda interesting that women watch the olympics more than men do

http://olympics.time.com/2012/07/10/why-women-watch-the-olympics-but-tune-out-other-sports/
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 1:08pm
^ I agree that the opening ceremonies were kinda weak.  I recorded it and watched the 4 hours in about 30 minutes.
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 6:09pm
anyone think phelps is gonna pick it up?? 
lane 8. tough one...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 6:34pm
Lochte had that one pretty easily. Also where are you watching this? Race was over well before you posted. Phelps didn't even medal
kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kyle521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 7:08pm
I just hope phelps gets a few more metals,I would be bummed to not see him win anything
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 8:24pm
Why has phelps had such a sour attitude thus far in regards to body language and interviews? And i took note of it even before he did so badly in the medley final
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 9:06pm
What with living in japan i can only assume these olympics must have been scaled back to five events:

Womens soccer.
Womens volleyball.
Judo.
Weightlifting.
Swimming. 
m00m
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 10:03pm
i thought japan was highly regarded in gymnastics? wouldnt they show that as well?
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 10:15pm
Did they win a medal?
Volleyball gets a pass because its a national sport.
Soccer gets a pass because they won the world cup. 
IM afraid if you want to be on japanese telly, you better win a medal or you better be the hot favorite to win one. You would not believe how many times i had to watch japan score two goals against canada! Youd think they just won the world cup...

I fear getting into the soccer because i know once japan get knocked out the coverage will cease as if it never happened :) I know every country is kinda partisan with its coverage, but japan takes it to a spectacular level. Its not about the games, its about japan, families, celebrity, advertising, and somewhere languishing in a little hole far behind all of this is sport for the sake of enjoying sport. :)

m00m
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 10:46pm
your description of japan reminds me of the N.Koreans using a lightning strike excuse to explain their teams poor performance, when they finally aired it to their public (vice just blocking all outside media and telling them Kim Jong Il scored the winning goal in the world cup).

well if you do decide to watch a sport for sports sake i knew a site you might be able to stream from. though it may be blocked in japan. I had to watch a few LA King's hockey games that way when the NBA was deemed better suited for tv.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 10:57pm
actually ive just been trying to figure that out. After all the judo bullshit and endless replays last night while a tonne of stuff was still actually ongoing, ive had the pelasure of the day starting with yet more interviews with our two heroic judo failures. I assume theres an interview with that weightlifting woman too coming up, but the telly is back off. So yeah, if theres a stream i wanna watch it. :) 

Silly me... it wasnt weight lifting, it was swimming. 

NOW its weight lifting... :|

5.21 local time... weve just had a bit on the gymnastics.

Now its back to the 0-0 draw with sweden in the soccer.

Holy crap, now theyre replaying the algeria volleyball game.  

Actually, im gonna keep this up. Lets see how long they can go before they actually start showing something happening today.

m00m
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 11:27pm
message sent. maybe watching from a different countries sport tv channel might help, but then again you might be at the mercy of another country's bias.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2012 at 11:31pm
its got the bbc, and it works :) Thats me happy :p
m00m
SLUSHIE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SLUSHIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 12:31am
I've never really been one to watch the Olympics in the first place, but one thing that has bothered me about it over the years is how it's supposed to be a coming together of all nations, but in the US all they care about is the US athletes.

I know that you can watch whatever event you want online, but many people don't do that and what they show on TV is 100% go USA!
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 3:09am
^What they show here is all about the US, I've got to imagine the Australian or Spainish markets (for example) don't focus on the US.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 3:42am
PAYDIRT!!! 

Korea v Japan in the judo quater finals. If you can watch it, you should. Awesome fun ending. 
m00m
Viper713 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
First time ever snowboarding

Quote Viper713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 4:20am
Phelps better step it up, hopefully all the publicy stuff wasn't taking away from training he should have been doing. For his reputation he can't afford to not make the podium again.
kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kyle521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 7:05am
Originally posted by Viper713

Phelps better step it up, hopefully all the publicy stuff wasn't taking away from training he should have been doing. For his reputation he can't afford to not make the podium again.

He's been doing it for sooo long though, this is his third olympics
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 7:11am
China is kicking ass!

The United States better catch up.
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Viper713

Lochte is doing great though (Gold, 400m IM). Phelps will make the podium again, I'm not too worried about our boys. 
Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 7:45am
Originally posted by LittleShooey

[QUOTE=Viper713]Phelps better step it up, hopefully all the publicy stuff wasn't taking away from training he should have been doing. For his reputation he can't afford to not make the podium again.

Lochte is doing great though (Gold, 400m IM). Phelps will make the podium again, I'm not too worried about our boys. 
[/Q

I totally agree though I think Phelps got a swift kick to the nuts after yesterday. He knows now that this wont be as much of a cake walk a he thought
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 7:55am
thoroughly enjoying senegal giving uruguay a bit of a hiding at the moment. Dont see it lasting, theyve lived pretty dangerous thus far, but stranger things have happened... 

(CF: Im scottish, mexico 86 means i will hold a life grudge against those cheating sky blue bastards - sorry uruguans on the forums, its my only vice).  
m00m
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2012 at 12:24pm
Hate the time delay. Ugh. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>