Premier League Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 8>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bowers666 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bowers666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Premier League Thread
    Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 2:38pm
The Premier League is just around the corner and I think it deserves it own thread...
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 2:39pm
What is a premier league?

-b
get bent
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

What is a premier league?

-b

It's outta your league, -b.
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 2:46pm
It's football.

Or English soccer, if you will.

But really, it's football.
JESSICRAZIE View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JESSICRAZIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 5:25pm
10 more days till it starts up, i think. i read that Henry was open to going back to play for Arsenal. I havent heard anything further on it yet though. 
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 6:01pm
I don't think the Henry thing went through, still time but I doubt it will.

Very happy to see Suarez commit to Pool long term too.

BTW: It's football, always has been always will be.

Bring on the season!!!
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 6:25pm
hmmm thanks for the reminder...gotta go do my picks 

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
bowers666 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bowers666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2012 at 9:00pm
Henry will only go out on loan after the MLS season but I dont think it will happpen this time.

How do people not know what the Premier League is ?? haha
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2012 at 1:57pm
Liverpool needs to step up and make the top four this year.  However no big signings in the off season so we will see what happens. 
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2012 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by HAVEN2135

Liverpool needs to step up and make the top four this year.  However no big signings in the off season so we will see what happens. 

Would be interesting to see what happens if they sell Agger or Johnson. I hope they don't sell either however. Had a good win in the Europa quals this morning. Suarez had a hand in all 3 goals too.
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2012 at 3:21am
Should be interesting to see how Man Utd's share floatation goes on the NYSE and if they will use that to repay any of the huge debt the Glazer's have put the club into. Can't wait to see if there are any more big money moves before the season starts!
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2012 at 6:22am
Getting rid of Johnson or Agger is like admitting we are going to be average this year. They are both solid on the back line. It was nice to move Bellamy as we had to many people in the middle and couldn't get a rhythm. I also hope that Carroll picks it up and has a big season that would make all the difference. Last year if Suarez didn't have an assist or goal we weren't going to win.  
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2012 at 7:49am
Holy crap, Liverpool fans are the most deluded bunch of lunatics in the world.  You ARE average.  Havent you noticed that yet?

You finished 8th last year, behind Everton and tied on points with Fulham.  Just ahead of West Brom.  That is very average.

Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2012 at 5:17pm
This year will be better for sure Cooperla. It's not been the best few years, but we are still one of the most successful clubs in Europe.

Just signed Joe Allan too. 
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2012 at 10:16pm
I don't know why Liverpool fans are harping on about signing Joe Allen.. He was decent for Swansea but nothing special. They have a run of the mill premier league manager that will guarantee a top half finish and straight out of Europe in the group stages. If Liverpool think they are going places, they are deluded and will be stuck in mediocrity for the foreseeable future.
bowers666 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bowers666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2012 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by woodyy05

I don't know why Liverpool fans are harping on about signing Joe Allen.. He was decent for Swansea but nothing special. They have a run of the mill premier league manager that will guarantee a top half finish and straight out of Europe in the group stages. If Liverpool think they are going places, they are deluded and will be stuck in mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

Agreed. Liverpool are an average team and I think they will do better than last year they wont make it near the top 4
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2012 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by bowers666

Agreed. Liverpool are an average team and I think they will do better than last year they wont make it near the top 4

Pfft... I may be a Pool fan, BUT, they will be easily top 5 this season. Spurs and Newcastle will be further down. I doubt Newcastle has another season that good in them and Spurs have a new manager to settle in, plus Luca Modric will likely leave too.

The top 4 would be hard to crack, but if Arsenal loose RVP they will sruggle to be up there too... Which leaves 4th spot very competitive.

& who cares about Europa???
Bartleby Badger View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Bartleby Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 2:48am
Pfft... I may be a Pool fan, BUT, they will be easily top 5 this season. Spurs and Newcastle will be further down. I doubt Newcastle has another season that good in them and Spurs have a new manager to settle in, plus Luca Modric will likely leave too.

The top 4 would be hard to crack, but if Arsenal loose RVP they will sruggle to be up there too... Which leaves 4th spot very competitive.

& who cares about Europa???

So Spurs will struggle because they've appointed a new manager with decent experience in European leagues but Liverpool will do much better because they've appointed a new manager with 1 season of top flight experience? Genius Clap

And now John W Henry wants the English Premier League to enforce its own Financial Fair play rules? Admit it John, you just want to blame someone else for Dalglish's disaster spending policy. Who says Americans don't do irony? Wink
Is badger, is not problem
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 1:56pm
So we're all agreed that Liverpool are rubbish and their fans are deluded lunatics.  Excellent.

Just messing Migoo.

I know Dalglish is an Anfield legend and everything, but I really think he took them backwards.  Some of the players (Downing/Adam/Henderson/Enrique) are very average quality and they weren't cheap.  Suarez is a horrible little man but he is good.  I like Rogers, I think he can improve that team, but I'm not sure about top 4.
bowers666 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bowers666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 2:24pm
Suarez is a horrible human being but he is such a great player. He will be playing up front in my fantasy team with Tevez
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2012 at 1:44am
Oh don't worry Cooperla I can take it. We've had to develop thick skins over the last few years... I think that Rodgers will improve the team too.

Badger, Spurs will struggle cause they've done nothing positive this summer. Sacking Harry for AVB (seemed out of his depth at Chelsea...), to stay top 4/5 they needed to strengthen and so far have not, and the whole Modric saga can't be helping, if he goes it leaves a big hole. Plus IMO they have been over achieving for a couple of years. Time will tell of course but I genuinely think they will struggle this season.
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2012 at 2:58am
Okay well hows about we get this topic off liverpool and start talking about proper football. Any of you have any thoughts on southampton, reading or west ham? How about RVP going to United? I would love that but it seems arsenal are intent on not selling to united, even if they meet the valuation. Surely it is stupid business sense to keep a player that doesn't want to be there when you can get 20 mill plus for him!
elmasri90 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote elmasri90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2012 at 3:04am
how bout them swans?
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2012 at 8:06am

Okay well hows about we get this topic off liverpool and start talking about proper football. Any of you have any thoughts on southampton, reading or west ham? How about RVP going to United? I would love that but it seems arsenal are intent on not selling to united, even if they meet the valuation. Surely it is stupid business sense to keep a player that doesn't want to be there when you can get 20 mill plus for him!

Not like Arsenal need the money.. and it's not in their business sense to strengthen one of their fiercest competitors. If utd want to get the league's highest goal scorer and Arsenal captain, then it's up to them to meet Arsene's asking price. As far as i know, the highest offer utd made was 15m pounds.. Wenger wants 20m at least.. so red nose can put up or shut up. 

Lookin forward to this season though! COYG!  
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2012 at 9:00am

Okay well hows about we get this topic off liverpool and start talking about proper football.
Lolz

The problem Arsenal have with van Persie is that they have no leverage.  They can get 15/20m for him now, or nothing when he leaves at the end of the season.  If they wait until January, he's worth even less (because he'll be available for free in six months and because he'll almost certainly be injured by then).  He's great, but the reality is that he's injury prone and almost 30.

robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2012 at 9:28am
Anyone know a good fantasy league to join for this season?  What's the best one to do?
bowers666 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bowers666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2012 at 2:29pm
I would sell him for 15m to anyone outside the Premier League and 20m for rivals. But would take anything closer to the transfer window ending to ensure we get something for him.
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2012 at 3:38am
Originally posted by robsta

Anyone know a good fantasy league to join for this season? What's the best one to do?.

try www.premierleague.com and click on fantasy league. That usually has between 1.5-3 million people regularly playing when i used to have a fantasy team which i actually paid attention to.. I finished in the top 1,000 a few years ago
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2012 at 10:21am
ESPN says Utd just agreed a deal with Arsenal for RVP.

Anyone care to make top four/bottom three predictions in this thread?
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2012 at 11:50am
What is a massive of signing for Man U.  However I don't see how Arsenal will make the top 4, they just keep losing all of their top players.  Last year they over-achieved with some great coaching and guys filling roles, along with an amazing year by RVP
bowers666 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bowers666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2012 at 2:27pm
Arsenal have made the top 4 the past 14 years with everyone always doubting them. I think losing RVP will be a blessing in disguise.
Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud enough to cover him and Wilshere to come back (He is pretty much a new signing)
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2012 at 5:20pm

What is a massive of signing for Man U.  However I don't see how Arsenal will make the top 4, they just keep losing all of their top players.  Last year they over-achieved with some great coaching and guys filling roles, along with an amazing year by RVP

They said the same thing when we let Henry go. And Vieira. And Cesc. And for some reason Nasri. For 23 million pounds and one year left on his contract, Utd can definitely have him LOL

In no particular order, I say the top four will be a combination of - 

Arsenal
Utd
City
Chelsea. 

Here's to hoping Southampton does well this year. 

Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2012 at 6:19pm
I dunno, Wenger is going to have to weave some serious magic to keep them near the top. Take RVP out of the team last season and they are trouble. Interested to see how Cazorla goes, not sure about Podolski, i.e. whether he'll suit the EPL style.

My 4 (in order):
United
Chelsea
City
Pool

Arsenal and Spurs just outside. Commence more hate on Pool...
bowers666 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bowers666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2012 at 8:18pm
Cazorla is a player like David Silva so he shouldn't have any problems adapting. Arsenal will be above Spurs and Pool this year and even with Chelsea's signings I think they will flop again but still scrap into the top 4. I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal make a few more signings before the end of the transfer market.....

City
United
Arsenal
Chelsea
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2012 at 5:42am
I do like the Podolski pick up I did not know about that.  He should help pick up the slack for RVP.  I think City and United are a lock for top four but we will see how the transfer market pans out as that could decide the next two. 
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2012 at 8:29am

United/City/Chelsea/Arsenal (in that order)

Going down: Wigan/Reading/LiverpoolSouthampton.

I've got a soft spot for Saints, because it's my home town, but I think they'll really struggle.
Bartleby Badger View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Bartleby Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2012 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by giftedhands

They said the same thing when we let Henry go. And Vieira. And Cesc. And for some reason Nasri. For 23 million pounds and one year left on his contract, Utd can definitely have him LOL

Arsenal
Utd
City
Chelsea.

Traitor!!!! Angry Posting in the TruSnow thread and not ours. Even though it is only me, you and Dlaw so far LOL

Problem with Arsenal now is when all those other player left the talk was "yeah it's a loss but at least we've got X" now who do you have that's definitely going to be a star? The three new signings are all good players in other leagues but it doesn't always work that way. Diego Forlan is deadly in La Liga but was gash in the Premier League.

Top 4
Man Utd
Man City
Chelsea
Newcastle
Wink

Is badger, is not problem
bowers666 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bowers666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2012 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Bartleby Badger

Originally posted by giftedhands

Arsenal
Utd
City
Chelsea.
Traitor!!!! Angry Posting in the TruSnow thread and not ours. Even though it is only me, you and Dlaw so far LOL
Problem with Arsenal now is when all those other player left the talk was "yeah it's a loss but at least we've got X" now who do you have that's definitely going to be a star? The three new signings are all good players in other leagues but it doesn't always work that way. Diego Forlan is deadly in La Liga but was gash in the Premier League.Top 4Man UtdMan CityChelseaNewcastle Wink

Cazorla is definitely a star. Podolski is proven at International level. Giroud has a bit of proving. Dont forget Wilshere coming back and the Ox getting better with a year under his belt.

Newcastle will not finish above Arsenal or Spurs and definitely not the top 4
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2012 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Bartleby Badger

Problem with Arsenal now is when all those other player left the talk was "yeah it's a loss but at least we've got X" now who do you have that's definitely going to be a star? The three new signings are all good players in other leagues but it doesn't always work that way. Diego Forlan is deadly in La Liga but was gash in the Premier League.

I love that you mentioned Forlan.  I actually think (hope) Eden Hazard has Forlan-bust potential.  Did anyone see his attempted backheel in the Charity Shield? 

Edit:  hahahahaha, I could watch this forever
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2012 at 11:31am

Originally posted by robsta

Anyone know a good fantasy league to join for this season? What's the best one to do?.

try www.premierleague.com and click on fantasy league. That usually has between 1.5-3 million people regularly playing when i used to have a fantasy team which i actually paid attention to.. I finished in the top 1,000 a few years ago

I'll check it out. Thanks
Pretty devastated about RVP leaving Arsenal.  It was his last year on his contract so at least they got something for him but they really don't have what it takes to win the PL now.  Had they kept RVP and with their new signings, I thought they had a shot.  

To rub salt in the wound, Man U, my absolute least favorite sports franchise in the whole world got him..  
My top four
1. Man U
2. Man City
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2012 at 9:00am
Perfect start for Brendan Rogers and Liverpool!

It's so nice to have football back
milutinho View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote milutinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2012 at 9:31am
joe cole was a legend at chelsea and now his legend is becoming even stronger at chelsea because he is helping destroy liverpool...i do not understand how stewart downing keeps playing. he has got to give great head to the coaching staff...unbelievable
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2012 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Cooperla

Perfect start for Brendan Rogers and Liverpool!

It's so nice to have football back

Yeah, that didn't go so well... Liverpool love losing to the "lower" ranked sides, happens every season. WBA, Sunderland etc. always give us problems.

At least the Gooners didn't win. Thats some small consolation
bowers666 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bowers666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2012 at 2:35pm
Man United and Everton will draw. My dumb prediction for today
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2012 at 4:45pm
Should be weird seeing chelsea without drogba this year-he's been such a fixture for such a long time
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2012 at 5:59am
I am interested to see what formation Man U goes with as well as who they start up top, with so much talent in the front. 
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2012 at 12:36pm
Terrible start to the season for Utd.  Fellaini really pisses me off - he's rubbish against every other team in the Prem, but against United he turns into an unstoppable monster.

Kagawa looks really good though.
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2012 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Cooperla

Terrible start to the season for Utd.  Fellaini really pisses me off - he's rubbish against every other team in the Prem, but against United he turns into an unstoppable monster.

Kagawa looks really good though.

It's funny with guys like Fellaini, just switch it on every now and then. On the balance though Everton were deserving winners, hitting the post plus some great saves from De gea to keep them in it.

Yep Kagawa looks like a good buy. Very interested to see what formation Fergy settles on.
milutinho View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote milutinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2012 at 3:00pm
thought rooney was poor, especially after van female genitals came on...he seemed to want to defer to him and kagawa for most things that needed that clinical rooney. interesting starting line up for united against a strong team away with valencia and carrick in the back line. nani was also quite poor and looks like he wants out. maybe its been all the paper talk about juventus but he looked disinterested...ashley young also looked awful in the 20 min he got and might be still in a loss of form from the european championship...anyway a great weekend to be chelsea fan. KTBFFH!
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2012 at 3:23am
Man U
Man City
Chelsea
Spurs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>