Any Rock climbers in here-

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Rock climbers in here-
    Posted: Aug/12/2012 at 3:03pm
So I was wondering... Anybody climb much?? If so? Where? Post your pics, adventures, stories, epic's, ect....

I'll go first
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2012 at 3:17pm
I've never really done much ... but I did put a bunch of holds and jugs and jibs and stuff on this span over my hot tub to use as a jungle gym.  There's a static rope behind the beam that you can clip a Mexican to and hang if you're wearing a harness, it's been kinda fun.  I've got some hanging holds and more jugs underneat the actual upper deck I put up since I took this photo. 

Edit: apparently TS thinks "Mexican" is shorthand for "carabiner"

-b
get bent
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2012 at 3:42pm
This summer I've gone to Yosemite on 2 separate occasions.
Here's a few pics of the shenanigans we did.

This first pic was of day 1, after we got our campsite at Camp 4 we decided... around 11am to climb Royal Arches. Royal Arches is about 1500ft tall and I think was about 10 pitches for us to do.
We did it, rapped back down and had our feet on the ground by 10pm.

This next pic was at the top of a climb (not technically the top, but the rest of the climb isn't as cool) called Central Pillar of Frenzy.
We got quite the view from the top. We actually spotted over 5 parties on El Capitan.

This next pic I took while following my partner on West Crack up in Tuolumne. I got to this piece of gear, laughed so hard and had him hold me while I took this pic. (for the non climber folk, it's a #6 Black Diamond Camalot, it's used for the occasional climbing protection, but mainly for fending off bears back at camp. LoL)
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2012 at 4:20pm
Unfortunately all ive ever done is indoor but ive always wanted to expand out and do outdoor
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2012 at 5:15pm
another pic... from the top of DAFF dome.

looking left

sleeepili View Drop Down
Local
Local
catching air at bear

Quote sleeepili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2012 at 9:31pm
bryman that is a sick sick setup u have in ur yard. when i get a house id be tempted to do that....

i started climbing about a year ago. mostly indoor at a couple of gyms but went on 5-10 outdoor trips
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 6:55am
That looks incredible. Ive hiked some mountains in the Adirondacks but I would love to actually climb something so that the view from the top would be even more incredible just because of how hard it would be.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 7:10am
I dug up a couple more pictures...
First one is my buddy leading a route called "Flower of High Rank"
the "flower" is the tree growing out of the middle of the route.
It's a pretty spectacular route.

next is a pic of me looking down while my gf is climbing up a route at Tahquitz.

and last is a pic of my buddy's dog. I was sitting in the spot where he usually likes to sleep, so he was trying to catch some Zzz's as best as he could. It warranted a picture.
JoeRocket1212 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote JoeRocket1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 7:17am
daaaang, that looked like some good times at yos!

and the deck picture was pretty cool too!  how did you attach those holds?  are they screwed into the wood?  has any ever ripped out on you?

i've always wanted to start climbing...  but i feel like there's such a learning curve to it, and that the learning curve is just as steep as the amount of death potential is just as steep...  for that reason, i haven't seem to get past bouldering...  any tips about a new climber?
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 7:50am
Originally posted by JoeRocket1212

daaaang, that looked like some good times at yos!
and the deck picture was pretty cool too!  how did you attach those holds?  are they screwed into the wood?  has any ever ripped out on you?
i've always wanted to start climbing...  but i feel like there's such a learning curve to it, and that the learning curve is just as steep as the amount of death potential is just as steep...  for that reason, i haven't seem to get past bouldering...  any tips about a new climber?

I'm not sure where you live but in the Denver area there are several rock climbing training classes you can sign up for. REI usually has one about once a month. I'd recommend taking a class to get the basics down.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2012 at 7:57am
An REI class is good...
I recommend getting friends (who are competent and safe and whom you trust) to take you out climbing. Someone you know climbs a lot outside.

Start out easy and work your way up from there, endurance takes time, tendon strength takes time. Don't rush things or you'll pay for it with an injury (everyone's done it, you probably will too... it's just a learning process to learn your limits as you progress)
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 2:14pm
Yep, rock climb indoors though.. going outdoors would be great but access is tough.
Mostly boulder and top rope every so often.. would like to lead climb but need to find some people who have gear and are looking for a lead partner.

Been outdoors a couple of times and bouldered during both. It was a lot of fun, but also a lot more tougher than doing it in the gym.

Currently climbing around 5.10a-c? or around V4 at my local gym I go to.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 7:26pm
Ive done alot of indoor having had worked for rei and subsequently having a free indoor climbing membership but i hace yet to make it outdoors and experience all that climbing has to offer
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 8:10pm
Tim...
You've got Malibu at your doorstep... You should go to there to check it out....
Going to the gym would be a good place to start for finding climbing partners.
odoyale rules View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote odoyale rules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 8:17pm
I boulder a ton indoors, and climb outside when I get the chance. I'm still working on getting out of the 5.11 range but bouldering doesn't really help endurance when it comes to rope climbing Confused.

As an engineer I am still skeptical about cams in general, and am not the biggest fan of trad climbing because of that LOL
18 days and counting

I make custom diecuts (stickers). PM me for info
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by odoyale rules

I boulder a ton indoors, and climb outside when I get the chance. I'm still working on getting out of the 5.11 range but bouldering doesn't really help endurance when it comes to rope climbing Confused. As an engineer I am still skeptical about cams in general, and am not the biggest fan of trad climbing because of that LOL

You know I felt the same way... How can this piece of aluminum save my life if I take a screamer...
Well they can... I've seen it.
Had a friend take a factor 1 fall about 5 ft off the deck... small alien cam held... for each of his 4 falls. LoL
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 6:14am
2 things either you're not a very good engineer =p
or you're right the cam is just a lucky piece of equipment.

agreed, bouldering doesn't help with endurance. but if you traverse it keeps you on the wall longer and really works your technique to use less energy to climb longer.

kinda wish i knew how many feet i'm climbing
Instructor
Instructor

Quote odoyale rules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 7:39am
Originally posted by Witty1

Originally posted by odoyale rules

I boulder a ton indoors, and climb outside when I get the chance. I'm still working on getting out of the 5.11 range but bouldering doesn't really help endurance when it comes to rope climbing Confused. As an engineer I am still skeptical about cams in general, and am not the biggest fan of trad climbing because of that LOL

You know I felt the same way... How can this piece of aluminum save my life if I take a screamer...
Well they can... I've seen it.
Had a friend take a factor 1 fall about 5 ft off the deck... small alien cam held... for each of his 4 falls. LoL
Haha yea, it's really all about placement. Still not the biggest fan trusting my life to a metal hinge but I think I just need to get more comfortable with it. Maybe set up an anchor and jump off some cliffs 
18 days and counting

Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 9:12am
I've been wanting to try indoor rock climbing once I get back in shape again.  LOL  But what's more important, finger grip strength or arm strength?
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

I've been wanting to try indoor rock climbing once I get back in shape again.  LOL  But what's more important, finger grip strength or arm strength?

balance and technique trumps grip strength most of the time... until you start climbing the hard stuff you shouldn't need to worry about the number of pullups you can do.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Witty1

balance and technique trumps grip strength most of the time... until you start climbing the hard stuff you shouldn't need to worry about the number of pullups you can do.

How would one train on balance and technique of this sort?  Shocked
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 9:35am
Bouldering... Yoga... don't worry about being in shape or not...
Nobody cares, everyone's got to start somewhere.
Besides... the first few weeks/months have the greatest return on investment in terms of improving your climbing ability.
SoCalRyder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My little guy showin up the old man

Quote SoCalRyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 12:10pm
I need to get back into this. Got hooked when a friend took us around Yosemite to shows us the basics. Started to get into it but when you have other expensive, time-consuming hobbies something has to give.

@Witty1 - Nice pics. I'm in YNP every year. We do mostly hiking & family stuff but I take the kids to go bouldering etc. Mostly around Camp 4 since the kids love the slacklines. I have pics. But finding them is the trouble.

@odoyale (& Witty1) - I hear you on that trust issue. Just when i started getting into the sport a guy I knew loses his life up at Tahquitz. That kind of spelled the begining of the end of my climbing career once the wif found out. Everything sort of dwindled after that.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2012 at 7:06am
this reply button sucks.. i thought it would quote the post but anywho..

I would have to say practice and practice for balance, learn technique from someone who has a little more experience than you, it helps. sometimes that one little technique will help you complete the route or problem you've been working on for such a long time.. 
there does come a time where you do need the crimp strength and arm strength, But a lot of climbing is done through the LEGS!
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2012 at 9:21am
Originally posted by jhoang6

I would have to say practice and practice for balance, learn technique from someone who has a little more experience than you, it helps. sometimes that one little technique will help you complete the route or problem you've been working on for such a long time.. 
there does come a time where you do need the crimp strength and arm strength, But a lot of climbing is done through the LEGS!

Climbing is done mostly through the legs sounds a bit weird, but I guess I'll find out the next time I see a groupon for indoor climbing.  LOL  I saw a video of little kids doing it and wow, it's crazy how they flip around and upside down.  Shocked
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2012 at 9:55am

Originally posted by jhoang6

Climbing is done mostly through the legs sounds a bit weird, but I guess I'll find out the next time I see a groupon for indoor climbing.  LOL  I saw a video of little kids doing it and wow, it's crazy how they flip around and upside down.  Shocked

Use your legs!  So this helped a lot for me where if I needed to move up on the wall, I would push up using my legs and not use my arms to pull my body weight up.   Once I started doing that, it was a lot easier to climb since you're used to your legs supporting your body weight and you don't get tired as quickly
My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2012 at 10:06am
Oh speaking of little kids, did you guys see this:

Tiny Hand Over Hand: Ashima Shiraishi, 11, Conquers Difficult Bouldering Climbs

There's a video of her if you click through. It's crazy how good she is!

I used to climb more when I was about 12-14, then didn't do it for a while and did it again in college and I realized how much easier it was back when I was little. I miss those days. Haven't gone in a pretty long time now. I'll have to see if there's a place near me to go :)
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2012 at 10:12am
Yeah, that's the video I was talking about!  Things are usually always easier to do when you're a kid.
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2012 at 10:22am
helps to weigh 50lbs and have the grip strength of a gorilla...
I wonder how she'll progress when she starts to grow (taller & heavier)
right now shes powering through everything...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote odoyale rules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 3:23pm
Has anyone here seen the new reel rock film? It is amazing:

18 days and counting

Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 4:47pm
^is Alex Honnold in it? That guy is a beast when it comes to free climbing. Takes a lot of balls to do some of the stuff he's done.
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 7:11pm
Honold is way more than a beast.... 

His solo triple in yosemite a couple of months back was ridiculous!

Just makes it look too easy.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 7:45pm
wow she is a beast! but she is so small at the same time...its impressive and not so much so at the same time.  Its great she's able to do what she enjoys and excel at it. Can't imagine how devastated she would be if she were to injure.

slowly going less often to the gym..losing interest, maybe it's cause I suck? hahaha
Instructor
Instructor

Quote odoyale rules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Von44

^is Alex Honnold in it? That guy is a beast when it comes to free climbing. Takes a lot of balls to do some of the stuff he's done.
Yes indeed. The entire last section of the film is his Triple solo. He is ridiculous. He was even at the premiere Wink
18 days and counting

timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 7:01am
Next weekend Im venturing outside of the indoor realm for the first time in favor of climbing at joshua tree
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2012 at 7:09am
Originally posted by timpiper

Next weekend Im venturing outside of the indoor realm for the first time in favor of climbing at joshua tree
hope you have an awesome time!
remember to bring snacks and drinks, maybe some insect repellent too.
I still remember the first time I went out. A lot of hiking with your gear and then the first accent SO different from indoors.. routes/problems aren't visibly marked with bright tape or coloured holds, quite difficult vs gym graded climbs, and a lot of "slimy" rocks, real slippery from all the rubber soles stepping on em.. I guess a good wire brush would help with that too. Still so much fun
Instructor
Instructor

Quote odoyale rules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2012 at 10:40am
^ Yea you really gotta make sure you can either see where the holds are, or if you aren't leading, take note of the leaders beta. Good luck, and make sure you got all your equipment when you come down (I hate leaving stuff behind)
18 days and counting

shing02 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote shing02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2012 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Von44

i get to freaking MEET that guy in one of the premieres in sf!
whitejawz1 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote whitejawz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2012 at 1:27pm
Does Climing trees count i got 2 climing trees that i can go right to the top
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 1:15pm
^ thread does say Rock climbing.
not tree climbing. But I would count it! It has pretty much the same fundamentals.

I hit the indoor gym sometime last week and tried to climb a new unmarked/graded route and I tweaked my right shoulder.. I popped onto a round sloper.  Double handed it and my right shoulder popped.. I held on and tried to pull up hoping for the shoulder to pop back in place.. Didn't happen, damn foot chips were so small I could just feel my feet slipping.  Needless to say I didn't not send it. A day or two after my should was damn sore...Hurts to scratch my ass
hopefully it'll heal in a couple more days. I gotta get active.
I rubbed on some Voltern or whatever its called the other day, I was surprised at how it helped to cut down on the pain. I don't think it helps heal it or anything though.
twolf123 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote twolf123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2012 at 10:34pm
just got back from the reel rock 7 tour in sf and that thing was amazing! especially the segment on conrad conquering that one crevice of the shark's fin...i feel that was probably the best of the 4 w/ alex at a close second (no offense to him, didn't feel it was as heartfelt)
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2012 at 8:35am
@ twolf123 Lol that sounds great. did you manage to get any pictures while you were out there?

damn shoulder! heal alrdy.. haven't' gotten back to the gym yet boo!
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2012 at 7:21pm
I'm kind of glad I made a note here on when i injured my shoulder.. i thought I messed it up on Oct. 1.. but turns out it was before Sept 24.
Holy crap that was a long time ago.. 2 months now! Should still isn't fully healed ) =
But it was feeling  pretty good and I went on Tuesday, I think I climbed too hard or something because my shoulder doesn't feel right anymore, keeps cracking/popping arghhh
healin so slow now.
 Post Reply Post Reply