Highback Rotation-

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Highback Rotation-
    Posted: Aug/31/2012 at 5:17pm
I recently read this: 

"The highbacks on your binding should be rotated so they are parallel with the heel edge. The highbacks work as a lever; if they are parallel they work more effectively and enable you to transfer from edge to edge with less effort. If the highbacks are parallel it is also easier to flex your boots towards the nose or tail of the snowboard; this enables you to apply more pressure to the nose or tail for presses, or for tweaking your body position in the air when grabbing, for greater style."

Is this true? does anyone else do this?
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2012 at 5:19pm
Yes I do this and I notice a difference.  
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2012 at 5:25pm
Can I do this with any pair of bindings? I have Union DLXs.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2012 at 5:31pm
most bindings will allow adjustment there.  with union, you need to remove bolt bolts from each side of the binding, and each bolt will move into a new hole out of the 3 holes union has in their highbacks.  then you reattach the highback and straps and you're good.. just make sure you rotate them the right way, and that you move both bolts and not just one.  union only has one option for rotating, and it seems to be ideal when your binding is at either 12 or 15 degrees, but it will be fine outside of that range.  i ride between 18/-12 and 24/-6 depending on the board i'm on and union's rotation works fine for me.

the point is for response.  you lean straight back when you turn heelside.. if you are doing that without rotated highbacks, you are pressing into them at an angle, which allows them to flex.  if you rotate them, you are pressing straight into them where they are stiffest (at least most highbacks, anyway).

also, un-rotated, the inner-side of each highback is rotating in towards the board and can get in the way of the A that your legs make when strapped in.  rotating them gets them out of the way in that respect.
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2012 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by thisisjoebro

Can I do this with any pair of bindings? I have Union DLXs.

Most bindings. 

Go take a look at your bindings and you will see 3 holes at the hinge area on each side of the highback.  Unscrew it and take out the screw and sleeve.  Rotate the highback until it lines up parallel to the edge of the board.  Replace the sleeve and screw it back into place. 
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2012 at 5:33pm
It makes a huge difference. Yes your Union should be able to do it. Every pair of bindings i have owned can do this (burton, union, rome)
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2012 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by spenser

most bindings will allow adjustment there.  with union, you need to remove bolt bolts from each side of the binding, and each bolt will move into a new hole out of the 3 holes union has in their highbacks.  then you reattach the highback and straps and you're good.. just make sure you rotate them the right way, and that you move both bolts and not just one.  union only has one option for rotating, and it seems to be ideal when your binding is at either 12 or 15 degrees, but it will be fine outside of that range.  i ride between 18/-12 and 24/-6 depending on the board i'm on and union's rotation works fine for me.

the point is for response.  you lean straight back when you turn heelside.. if you are doing that without rotated highbacks, you are pressing into them at an angle, which allows them to flex.  if you rotate them, you are pressing straight into them where they are stiffest (at least most highbacks, anyway).

also, un-rotated, the inner-side of each highback is rotating in towards the board and can get in the way of the A that your legs make when strapped in.  rotating them gets them out of the way in that respect.

Wow, can't believe I've never heard about doing this before. 
I tried it a little bit ago and it made the highbacks a lil weird and crooked so I wasn't sure if my bindings supported it. 
But anyways thanks everyone I'm gonna try this out when I get the chance.
djmaya View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote djmaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2012 at 7:37pm
I rode an entire season without doing this and i ride super duck (25/-22) the following season I "discovered" this and set my highback parallel.
Not only it makes a big difference turning, but it is also much more comfortable and doing presses and butters felt easier.
2012 Vapor 162W - 2010 CO2 EST - 2010 Hail
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2012 at 8:07pm
I adjusted them earlier today, messing around on the carpet pressing feels good.
Lux View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2012 at 10:26am
I noticed a big difference for my stance (18/-18). Turn initiation was improved and you feel more stable during transitions when your body is off-camber.

Just keep in mind that, for new-type highbacks that do not use traditional forward lean adjusters, your lean adjustments will now be a little awkward.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2012 at 11:29am
I've always rotated my burton bindings to be parallel with my heelside edge and thought it made a difference, but I'd never really knew since that was just how I always road.  It's super easy with the burton bindings, of course.  In the last few years of riding my splitboards I think I've confirmed that highback rotation does make a difference, because it's not something you can do with splitter highbacks since most of the time you're touring (and you need them to be straight when you're hiking).  It definitely seems strange to me to strap in with my binders that way and I think I lose some response on heelside turns, and it seems like it changes the way the board flexes when I bow or squeeze my knees, if that makes any sense. 

I get Lux's point about the flad adjustment being off as well, although I'm certainly used to the way it works with the parallel binders so that's not a problem for me. 

-b
get bent
jason.huenefeld View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jason.huenefeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 5:57am
this got rid of a few hot spots on the back of my legs. it was a quick fix that really did help! turning felt easier and not having those pressure points really helped me go from sun up to sun down!
scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 6:01am
interesting proposal. I will have to give this a whorl whenever it is the snow comes

thanks
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 4:53pm
I was lucky to have friends that knew and had boarded for years when I first started out. I've never had my highbacks any other way.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by julius77

I was lucky to have friends that knew and had boarded for years when I first started out. I've never had my highbacks any other way.

My buddy who got me into snowboarding never mentioned this. maybe ill have to bring it to his attention hah
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 6:05pm
you can definitely feel the difference in your calves when you lean, makes it feel better especially when you have a decent amount of duck to your stance like i do
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Online Status: Online
  Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2012 at 6:28pm
This is a def must do!  And like Stomp said "makes it feel better especially when you have a decent amount of duck to your stance".
It really gives you much more control and no weird pressure pts.
This tip should be included in the instructions w/ the bindings.
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2012 at 7:19am
Originally posted by MikeD13559

This is a def must do!  And like Stomp said "makes it feel better especially when you have a decent amount of duck to your stance".
It really gives you much more control and no weird pressure pts.
This tip should be included in the instructions w/ the bindings.

Just checked my bindings instruction and it did mention this but did not talk about when or why to do it. So I'm glad I found out about this
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2012 at 8:49am
Thanks for the tip, I'll make adjustments and see the results when winter comes.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2012 at 12:05pm
How come I only hear about this now?? I'm going to adjust my board in the winter and see the difference.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2012 at 12:11pm
Yes, do this!  It does make a difference.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 12:53pm
WHAT?? I never heard of this before! then again, 'im not good either. gonna try on my carpet right now! i'll get back with results.
Alkasquawlik View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Alkasquawlik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by haiv143

WHAT?? I never heard of this before! then again, 'im not good either. gonna try on my carpet right now! i'll get back with results.

carpet boarding "results" don't mean jack... LOL
brettmurphy2 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote brettmurphy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 2:58pm
Never heard of this! thanks though
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 3:38pm
I had never heard of this either I think I'll have to adjust mine a little
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by mj2delmenico

I had never heard of this either I think I'll have to adjust mine a little

Yeah, I never heard of setting your highbacks parallel to the edge of the board. But anyways thanks for the info and hopefully the highback rotation helps :)
Lux View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 5:45pm
I'm at my maximum highback rotation right now and it's just barely enough to meet parallel with the board edge. I think some of the softer highbacks (Union Contact) will have less benefit from rotation because they are so compliant.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 7:00pm
Same here, I shifted my highbacks as much as possible and they are perfectly parallel. Oh well
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 7:17pm
Yeah I did this a few years ago after reading it on here and it made a big difference for me for linking turns quicker. It also made a little difference in tweaking indy or melon for me, though that seems to be more binding angle itself...and a lot of practicing/messing around with your own body positioning while you're in the air.
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 8:19pm
Yup, can't tell the differ Confused
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 8:38pm
if you can't tell the difference, you're not snowboarding very well... or you'r highbacks have backward lean and never come into play while riding.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 7:53am
i think he cant tell the difference because he is on carpet hah

Backside10 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Backside10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 12:35pm

Nitro Rook 156, Burton Cartels
Backside10 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Backside10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 12:37pm
You will notice it most on the inside portion of the boot, it will feel much less restricted when pressing, etc. Definitely do it!
Nitro Rook 156, Burton Cartels
Dukester View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dukester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2012 at 6:18am
Interesting. I've been working in a ski/snowboard tuning shop for just about 10yrs and I don't think I've heard of this. Makes complete sense though.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2012 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Dukester

Interesting. I've been working in a ski/snowboard tuning shop for just about 10yrs and I don't think I've heard of this. Makes complete sense though.

Hmm thats pretty nuts, makes me feel less bad about not knowing this and it being pretty obvious. 
chasiuiro View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chasiuiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2012 at 4:18pm
cooool, thanks for the information! I'm going to try this, hope it works well!
Dukester View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dukester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2012 at 4:36am
Originally posted by thisisjoebro

Originally posted by Dukester

Hmm thats pretty nuts, makes me feel less bad about not knowing this and it being pretty obvious. 
yeah, made me feel a little stupid
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2012 at 5:23am
It may just be me but when I did this it also seemed to take some of the pressure off of my leg and feet while on the chairlift.
MathiasM View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote MathiasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2012 at 7:18am
Idk what the problem is but i can NOT get my high backs to do this. I tried last season and they just refused to line up. I have the Ride EX which are aluminium (i hate it) so maybe they are too stiff along the heelcup. Any ideas?
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2012 at 7:23am
Originally posted by MathiasM

Idk what the problem is but i can NOT get my high backs to do this. I tried last season and they just refused to line up. I have the Ride EX which are aluminium (i hate it) so maybe they are too stiff along the heelcup. Any ideas?

I have a pair of Ride bindings myself, also with aluminum base plates. I was able to align the high-backs with the back edge, but I remember that I really had to push the plastic hard to get the screws to go through the hole again. Point is, it can be done, but it requires some strong arms. I believe I got someone to help me. That way one of you can pull the plastic in the right direction while the other person slides the screw in.

Oh also, I think my boyfriend has the EX's and we were able to adjust the high-backs for him this past winter. Good luck!
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2012 at 10:09am

Try unscrewing both sides and line up one side, put the screw in only 1/3rd or so the way in, then try lining the other side up and screwing that in a bit before tightening both.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2012 at 11:27am
Originally posted by namsapalooza

I have a pair of Ride bindings myself, also with aluminum base plates. I was able to align the high-backs with the back edge, but I remember that I really had to push the plastic hard to get the screws to go through the hole again. Point is, it can be done, but it requires some strong arms. I believe I got someone to help me. That way one of you can pull the plastic in the right direction while the other person slides the screw in.

Oh also, I think my boyfriend has the EX's and we were able to adjust the high-backs for him this past winter. Good luck!

Bummer, I don't have strong arms.  Cry  I can't even adjust my highbacks by myself.  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2012 at 9:11am
So I'm digging Switchback bindings and the idea behind it. I kind of want to get some. 

But i don't think it allows highback rotation. Does anyone know if they do?
Lux View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2012 at 9:50am
Switchback bindings will not allow for rotation because there is only one position to insert the highback. Though I reckon most Switchback buyers will simply not use highbacks, altogether.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2012 at 4:53pm
yeah haha I wanna see what it feels like to ride with no highback.
Pheonix_boarder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Wakeboarding is the Australian Off season Snowboarding

Quote Pheonix_boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2012 at 5:32pm
I am amazed that i haven't heard of this/tried this yet. Ill definitley be giving it a go....as soon as the snow returns next season. Thanks for the advice!
All or Nothing
 Post Reply Post Reply