Apple Iphone 5

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 5>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Apple Iphone 5
    Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 2:21pm
Anyone here getting one? I think it lost it's advantage over its competition. But I am sure it will still sell millions because there are a lot of people who don't know any better
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 2:31pm
In my opinion I think that people in general are a little,no, a lot too obsessed with the release of the new iPhone, especially kids. It's really annoying hearing everyone in my school talk about how their parents are gonna buy it for them the day it comes out. More than half of them have a perfectly good iPhone 4S. I don't want to rant here but it sort of sickens me seeing all these kids just get all this new shit that they don't need. Lazy asses should try working and paying for their own stuff then see how badly they need the new phone. Just my 2 cents.
JoeRocket1212 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote JoeRocket1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 2:36pm
i agree...  it is a bit disappointing, but the apple fan boys and girls will buy it regardless...

i'm still shocked about the court ruling about the samsung vs apple law suit
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by JoeRocket1212

i agree...  it is a bit disappointing, but the apple fan boys and girls will buy it regardless...

what shocked you specifically?
twolf123 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote twolf123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 2:42pm
@steez: this sounds more like a very...incoherent rant. lazy asses? what?

@shawny: i think he means that apple won in general...

ANYWHO...
not getting it, beside screen size and a faster processor, there's not a big enough gap between the 4s, or even the 4, to warrant getting this but this is ASSUMING it performs just as well as the galaxy S3 and lumia (finally, something REALLY innovative...TOUCH SCREEN WITH GLOVES!? SOLD!). i think this phone is also light as crap...i guess it makes it KIND OF nice but you lose that "premium feel" business.

HOWEVER, IF you're still on the 3g(s) or lower...or whatever...this is a worthy upgrade if you wanted to keep using your apps or make this your dedicated music player, phone, all-in-one.

steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 3:02pm
What I was referring to is the large number of kids in my school who have wealthy parents so they just get everything handed to them all the time, thats all.
kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kyle521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 3:12pm
krisshono View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote krisshono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 3:17pm
I have the iphone4 im getting the new one, ive had an upgrade but have been waiting for this badboy to cone out looks sick. Cant wait to get my hands on one
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 3:31pm
i'd be excited if i was coming up on my two year contract, but since i'm not, and have an iphone 4s, it's not a big deal for me.  by the time the 4s came out, my 3gs was pretty terribly slow.
sheeshgosh View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sheeshgosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 4:05pm
my upgrade is due so i'm gonna upgrade it and then resell it, still gonna continue using my 4s tho.
I'm in need of bindings for my 5 boards..
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by getkong

i'd be excited if i was coming up on my two year contract, but since i'm not, and have an iphone 4s, it's not a big deal for me.  by the time the 4s came out, my 3gs was pretty terribly slow.

depending on your carrier you might get away with an upgrade after only 13 months.
bagelzzz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bagelzzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 5:29pm
I like my samsung slider (1.3mp camera to let ya know how out of date it is). With that said. I can't wait for the iPod touch 5 to come out. Here on long Island, we have wifi on every commercial rd. and almost every store. So I don't need to pay for data. New technology LOOKS SICK!!!!
Nire333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nire333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 5:34pm
Was kind of hoping the Ipad Mini would have been revealed today also. That is something I would buy.
twolf123 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote twolf123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 5:40pm
@bagelzzz: "wifi on every commercial rd.".........you have earned both my envy and my scorn D;...i live in sf and none of that exists here!
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by twolf123

@bagelzzz: "wifi on every commercial rd.".........you have earned both my envy and my scorn D;...i live in sf and none of that exists here!

Why don't they have free wifi on every commercial road in California? That's pretty cool how you don't have to pay for data.

I really want to get the iPhone 5 but I still need to finish my 2-year contract with my other phone first DX.
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 7:16pm
I've never had an iphone before and I would like one. But my upgrade is around april so ill probly get an android comes out around that time.
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 12:43am
My contract is about up so I will be upgrading. Saying that I don't think the upgrades are that great but my 4 is starting to break down (home button).

Basically the only other option in AUS is the Samsung Galaxy and every person I know who has one complains non-stop about the sucky battery life
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 5:21am
I heard they changed the port, so now you might have to buy a $30 adapter to connect it to other stuff.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just before descending into the Waipio Valley Hawai'i

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 5:24am
Originally posted by solocreep

I heard they changed the port, so now you might have to buy a $30 adapter to connect it to other stuff.

They did change the port to a smaller 9 pin version.  Add to that the fact that apple is not authorizing any aftermarket company to make an adapter.  So, your only option to use older cords is to buy the adapter straight from Apple.

**Edited for spelling**
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 6:42am
Originally posted by steezemisterr

What I was referring to is the large number of kids in my school who have wealthy parents so they just get everything handed to them all the time, thats all.

you can't hate on that.  

about the lawsuit, yeah rectangular phone with rounded edges, shouldn't have been given a patent.

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote JoeRocket1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 9:38am
Originally posted by shwazy

Originally posted by JoeRocket1212

what shocked you specifically?

yea, the shocking thing was that in korea, samsung and apple broke even on their court rules.  but in the states, it's 1 billiion dollars on one side...  i mean, apple has patented the most vauge things.  i really don't think samsung has stolen any ideas directly from apple.  i mean, yes, they are both phones...  yes, they have a similar shape.  and yes, they are both touch screen.  but i think apple is trying to take the monopoly of something, and they should just keep the competitive edge instead.  they came up with some great ideas, but i want them to keep on coming up with more ideas if they want more money...  instead of sueing people, and asking them to not make a phone that gives them competition.  

as for the iphone, i hear my company is going to move over from blackberry to iphone as the company cell phone...  so i kinda hate how i'm looking forward to that.  lol!
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Shift4200

Originally posted by solocreep

They did change the port to a smaller 9 pin version.  Add to that the fact that apple is not authorizing any aftermarket company to make an adapter.  So, your only option to use older cords is to buy the adapter straight from Apple.

**Edited for spelling**

It's always about them making more money so their so called innovations is just an extra expense to the consumer plus I heard they were gonna up the cost of data plans for the iphone 5 too.  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kyle521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 9:55am
whats an ipad mini?
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 9:58am
Originally posted by kyle521

whats an ipad mini?

It's for days when the flow is lighter.  For heavy flow days use the iPad Maxi.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 9:59am
@Joe - you lucky bastard! Wish I worked for a company that gave me an iphone.

But I'm looking to make the switch over from my BB Torch to Iphone5 in a couple weeks. Yeaa buddy!
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 10:13am
I just wish that they changed the design a little more. from the Iphone 3GS to the 4, the design change was significant, but from the 4S to the 5, not too much way done.
deepakhj View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote deepakhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 10:54am
They aren't going to change the design for the sake of changing it unless it improves something. They changed the connector so they can reduce the thickness of the phone.
2012 154 Never Summer Proto CT w/ K2 Formulas
2010 160 Contract C62
2005 Ride DH
2009 Never Summer SL (broken)
2010 K2 DB T1
2009 K2 DB T1
twolf123 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote twolf123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 11:46am
@kyle521: ipad mini is the SUPPOSED 7" ipad...but it doesn't look like its debut is within the next month so we MIGHT get a gander at it at the next macworld expo...or w/e the hell they do in december/january

@solocreep: that is correct. they also have an adapter for microUSB to "lightning"...kinda dumb if you ask me, apple can only win here :/

@humble rooster: what's more creative than a generic rectangle that's roughly the same shape as every other phone? ;D...hell, you can stack all the iphones together!!...yeah, i kinda wish they'd do something asymmetric or just some kind of bulge or new material in the back that makes holding it easier...oh well

rant time:
*i can buy this converter...and reuse all my old ipod charger wires...OR I CAN BUY A COMPLETELY NEW "LIGHTING WIRE"...COME ON! how the efff are adapters 25-30!!?? aoinbaoidnfao
quiksilverkira View Drop Down
Local
Local
Nike Chosen

Quote quiksilverkira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 11:56am
I heard they are advertising it as "the world's thinnest smart phone" measuring at 7.6mm when the droid razor measures at 7.1mm. That is the only one I personally know that is thinner but I am sure there are a lot more.

RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 12:13pm
That 7.1mm is calculated at it's thinnest part as far as I know. They should release the specs on the thickest part, that makes more sense to me in claiming "thinnest" phone. But I did a quick google search and found some phone only available in China that is 6.65mm at it's thinnest point, and more importantly 7.1 at its thickest. That phone has a real claim to the thinnest phone.
markyjas View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote markyjas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Blur510

Anyone here getting one? I think it lost it's advantage over its competition. But I am sure it will still sell millions because there are a lot of people who don't know any better

See this on Kimmel?  Pretty funny looking at the placebo effect with Apple.

giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 1:19pm

I’ll be buying it, day one. Not because iOS is the most efficient software on a mobile or tablet device. Not because I find the Apple UI the most intuitive or fun to use. Certainly not because iOS is the most secure OS, while android malware has jumped up over 1,000%, since 2009. Not because iPhone has consistently benchmarked as the fastest phone on the market, twice as fast as the galaxy S II and Motorola Droid. Not because the iOS software is incredibly synchronized, while android remains the most fragmented OS I have ever seen on a mobile device. I won’t be buying one because Apple has the highest customer retention rate, and hands down best customer service. Certainly not because I know if there’s an issue with my phone, I can bring it into my local Apple store where they’ll fix or replace it on the spot, for free.  I won’t be buying it because of the massively large App store that dwarfs android. Or the best music integration into a device. Not for the syncing features, not for the retina screen, not for Siri, Wolfram Alpha and not for iCloud. Not because I love all things computers and am yet to find a device that works as well as the iPhone. And certainly not because you like x, and I like y.

No, I’ll be buying it because I’m a senseless fanboy who doesn’t know any better. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go purchase a capita snowboard, union bindings, and nike boots. 

getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 2:31pm

depending on your carrier you might get away with an upgrade after only 13 months.

meh, i have a work phone on a work plan, so i don't upgrade early.
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CO_champagne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 2:41pm

meh, i have a work phone on a work plan, so i don't upgrade early.

From what I read in the WSJ earlier this week, the carriers are getting rid of "early upgrades."  The early upgrades are costing the carriers too much because they drop a ton of money on iPhones.  It messes up their year end financials.

The other thing that pisses me off is the charger plug-in change.  They are screwing everyone who already has a bunch of chargers located all over the place (home, car, work, garage) and all the crazy devices built to integrate with the iPhone.  It used to be at work all you had to say was "Can I borrow your iPhone charger?"  Now it will be "Do you have an iPhone charger for version XXX?"  Much smaller probability that your coworker will have the right one.
RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by giftedhands

I’ll be buying it, day one. Not because iOS is the most efficient software on a mobile or tablet device. Not because I find the Apple UI the most intuitive or fun to use. Certainly not because iOS is the most secure OS, while android malware has jumped up over 1,000%, since 2009. Not because iPhone has consistently benchmarked as the fastest phone on the market, twice as fast as the galaxy S II and Motorola Droid. Not because the iOS software is incredibly synchronized, while android remains the most fragmented OS I have ever seen on a mobile device. I won’t be buying one because Apple has the highest customer retention rate, and hands down best customer service. Certainly not because I know if there’s an issue with my phone, I can bring it into my local Apple store where they’ll fix or replace it on the spot, for free.  I won’t be buying it because of the massively large App store that dwarfs android. Or the best music integration into a device. Not for the syncing features, not for the retina screen, not for Siri, Wolfram Alpha and not for iCloud. Not because I love all things computers and am yet to find a device that works as well as the iPhone. And certainly not because you like x, and I like y.

No, I’ll be buying it because I’m a senseless fanboy who doesn’t know any better. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go purchase a capita snowboard, union bindings, and nike boots. 

Hahaha!! Yes. This is the greatest thing I have read on here in a long time.
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by CO_champagne

The other thing that pisses me off is the charger plug-in change.  They are screwing everyone who already has a bunch of chargers located all over the place (home, car, work, garage) and all the crazy devices built to integrate with the iPhone.  It used to be at work all you had to say was "Can I borrow your iPhone charger?"  Now it will be "Do you have an iPhone charger for version XXX?"  Much smaller probability that your coworker will have the right one.

the charger size change does suck.  wish they had just used mini-usb or micro-usb.  we stock chargers at the office, and i'm assuming we'll have the new ones once people start getting the iphone 5.
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 3:11pm
The lack of changes aesthetically was also a disappointment and the change of the charger port is as well.

You could go anywhere at anytime and bet someone would have a spare iphone charger if you needed it.
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 7:09pm
Anyone here used/tried windows phone? my friend has a nokia and windows os is just so good.  I will be selling my galexy nexus when the new nokia 920 comes out later this year
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 7:17pm
Just picked up my Galaxy III only 2 weeks ago. Loving every minute of it.

@mj2delmenico -- which Galaxy in AUS? I II or III? Battery life is going to suck on any android device if you don't cut off the live wallpapers and live widgets and all that good jazz.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by giftedhands

Clap apple should hire you and i mean that as a compliment, i.e. I am not being sarcastic.
ChiTownRon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2012 at 10:07pm

[QUOTE=giftedhands]
<p ="msonormal"="">I’ll be buying it, day one. Not because iOS is the most
efficient software on a mobile or tablet device. Not because I find the Apple
UI the most intuitive or fun to use. Certainly not because iOS is the most
secure OS, while android malware has jumped up over 1,000%, since 2009. Not
because iPhone has consistently benchmarked as the fastest phone on the market,
twice as fast as the galaxy S II and Motorola Droid. Not because the iOS software

Lol, you're worried about malware on Android. Pretty stupid reason to consider Iphone over Android for that fact. And pretty positive that my Evo Lte benchmark is faster then the Iphone 4s. And I don't think the Iphone 5 will be much of an upgrade. I actually feel bad for the people getting duped into buying it just because it's another new apple phone and people need to have it even though better phones actually exist.
psubballfan12 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote psubballfan12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2012 at 4:09am
my new iPhone 5 is preordered!Cool 
Protect your domes
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2012 at 5:03am
I really want the 5 but there is nothing wrong with my 4 so I will just wait until I "accidentally" drop my phone
For those of you that do get it please let us know how you like it
Funinc158 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Funinc158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2012 at 5:37am
I preordered the iPhone 5 for my mom's birthday at 3AM this morning. Shipping date still says 9/21, I know apple has pushed it back two weeks probably for people who preordered this morning.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote JoeRocket1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2012 at 7:34am
i had something to say about apple when i opened this thread...   but after reading all the comments from everybody...  i forget what it was...
kikko View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kikko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2012 at 8:17am
Originally posted by ChiTownRon

[QUOTE=giftedhands]
twice as fast as the galaxy S II and Motorola Droid. Not because the iOS software

Lol, you're worried about malware on Android. Pretty stupid reason to consider Iphone over Android for that fact. And pretty positive that my Evo Lte benchmark is faster then the Iphone 4s. And I don't think the Iphone 5 will be much of an upgrade. I actually feel bad for the people getting duped into buying it just because it's another new apple phone and people need to have it even though better phones actually exist.

Giftedhands just listed like 10+ legit reasons why he's getting the new iPhone. doesn't seem to me like he's being duped?? keep drinking that haterade, smh
Fear does not stop death, it stops life...
360faceplant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 360faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2012 at 8:35am
Originally posted by kikko

Originally posted by ChiTownRon

[QUOTE=giftedhands]

Giftedhands just listed like 10+ legit reasons why he's getting the new iPhone. doesn't seem to me like he's being duped?? keep drinking that haterade, smh

That's only if you believe everything he wrote is true, and if you believe everything you read on the internet, well then...
panther View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2012 at 8:37am
unimpressed, honestly.  i'm due for an upgrade in february, and i think i'll be jumping ship to windows phone 8, and whatever their flagship phone is at that time.  the OS is a lot nicer looking in my opinion
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2012 at 8:56am
Originally posted by mommehK

Just picked up my Galaxy III only 2 weeks ago. Loving every minute of it.

@mj2delmenico -- which Galaxy in AUS? I II or III? Battery life is going to suck on any android device if you don't cut off the live wallpapers and live widgets and all that good jazz.

My bro was an Apple fan boy too and had the 3 and 4, but once he tried using the Galaxy SIII, he totally loved it better than his iphones.  I improved my battery life by turning off a lot of the background stuff and using a battery monitor app.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2012 at 9:28am
I like my Android.  Couldn't switch to the new iPhone even if I wanted to, since I'm not giving up my $25/month Virgin plan til I have to.  Apple charges way too much for all its adapters and accessories anyway.  I never ended up buying the cable to plug my iPod Touch into TV's which would have been nice when in hotels.  $49 was outrageous.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>