Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
motoxninja80 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Vail

Online Status: Offline
  Quote motoxninja80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chairlift Stories
    Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 11:56am
Anyone have funny or interesting chairlift experiences?
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 12:07pm
man_with_pants_down_ski_lift
-b
get bent
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 12:10pm
Hahahaha wtf!  It is true...cold temperatures do cause shrinkage.

Poor bastard. LOL
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 12:16pm
hahaha thats great, and to a skier haha
Allieng View Drop Down
TRU Staff.
TRU Staff.

Online Status: Online
  Quote Allieng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 12:19pm
Yes!!!! I love this photo!!! I was at Vail with this happened!!! I still can not believe it to this day!!! Uber Funny!!!
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 12:38pm
I love how casual his buddy looks while he's falling out of his pants. De de dee, lovely scenery. Just going to ignore half-naked dude falling from the chair.
*edit- Wear belts peope!!!
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 1:13pm
^^^ if I recall correctly, the poor dude was stuck up there (on a really cold day) for a number of hours before they were able to successfully rescue him. 

-b
get bent
nhu101@hotmailcom View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote nhu101@hotmailcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 1:27pm
Anyone know the story on what happened? I mean how does one fall out of their pants like that while sitting in one place...
bootleg View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bootleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 1:28pm
this hits soo close to home, here's a rider at mt high having a bad day ,I personally never been stuck or had a incident on a chair but i've seen too many rescues on one of their skilifts called exhibition, but this one looks like it happen on their blueridge express

sheeshgosh View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sheeshgosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 1:35pm
Not enough stories here. I have a few pretty common ones, I fell trying to get off the lift but the lift was so fast it shoved me and pushed me under the lift and bobbed my head on the way out.

Another story is when my girlfriend dropped one of her liner middle of the lift ride and it goes flying to lift behind us and some guy catches it but refused to give it back because he thought we were throwing stuff at him
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

^^^ if I recall correctly, the poor dude was stuck up there (on a really cold day) for a number of hours before they were able to successfully rescue him. 

-b
That sucks, but it does explain the shrinkage. LOL Stuck there for hours... yikes. Hope he didn't get frostbite. I also just noticed the safety bar is up. That could've helped.
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 2:25pm

2012 March
Blue Mountain, Ontario, Canada
shredhead16 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote shredhead16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 2:27pm
Last year at my local hill (250 vert.) a kid, probably late teens, who was junior ski patrol had hit his head on the run before (not wearing a helmet) He fainted on the chairlift. The chair directly in front of me and two of my friends. He slumped over and slid off of the chair. Luckily it wasn't nearly as high as most chairlifts, probably only ~25 ft off the ground. I don't know what happened to him. I can only assume his legs were broken and or some other serious damage.
you can win awesome prizes, just click the link below!
nhu101@hotmailcom View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote nhu101@hotmailcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 2:48pm
Wow I'd figured if he was going to faint, he would've fainted at the time when he hitted his head, and not 10-15 minutes later.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 3:03pm
I can recall about 5-6 years ago (maybe more) getting to the top of the lift and seeing a guy laying on the ground, pile of puke next to him, with his buddies standing above him saying "Come on man, you can do this, we have to get down the hill".  He was drunker than anyone I've ever seen on the hill.  They tried to get him up for a while.  The next 3 or 4 times we went up at least (5 minute runs, 10 minute lift rides), eventually patrol sledded him down.LOL
kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kyle521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 3:52pm
we were on a chairlift with my friend and there was a kid about 70 feet away going full speed and my friend chucked a snowball, it seemed like it was a tracer missile and hit him in the head and he fell down.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 5:28pm
^ oh that's rude.  Now I have another reason I'm glad I wear a helmet.Big smile
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 6:33pm
Last winter, when I was snowboarding at Tahoe, there was this person sitting in front of me who dropped his snowboard and it went sliding down to the bottom of the hill. I don't even know how the snowboard could have fell off the bindings in the first place.
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 3:54am
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

man_with_pants_down_ski_lift
-b
I'm pretty sure the dude who took that picture got fired for taking it.  He was one of Vail's paid photographers.
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 4:59am
Living in Whistler, we get quite a few celebrities up there.. I sat next to Joshua Jackson and then a different time sat next to Chad Michael Murray and my friend sat next to Gene Simmons and his daughter - they've got a freaking sweet house in this super prestigious little estate thing in Whistler.

Not really funny, but on Australia Day, us Aussies get super wasted and go a bit crazy - a bit like independence day for you guys and I was pretty drunk by 9am in the morning on the lifts and I couldn't crack open a beer because I was wearing my morph suit (full body suit) and couldn't get my fingers under the can opener thing. I asked the guy next to me and he said something along the lines of yeah sure and then cracked it open and then i say, you want to join me in a beer? He declines then says he was a raging alcoholic back in the day and thats the first beer he's opened in like 10 years! But he was super cool with it, had a good laugh with us on the way up and sent us on our merry way! Made me love Canadians even more!
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 11:53am
Originally posted by julius77

I love how casual his buddy looks while he's falling out of his pants. De de dee, lovely scenery. Just going to ignore half-naked dude falling from the chair.
*edit- Wear belts peope!!!

I'm pretty sure that kid was his son. Sonny had a bad angle of dad for quite a while. Oh the nightmares.

That Mt High video is crazy, he would have gotten really messed up if he dropped from that with his board on...or off.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by woodyy05

Living in Whistler, we get quite a few celebrities up there.. I sat next to Joshua Jackson and then a different time sat next to Chad Michael Murray and my friend sat next to Gene Simmons and his daughter - they've got a freaking sweet house in this super prestigious little estate thing in Whistler.

Not really funny, but on Australia Day, us Aussies get super wasted and go a bit crazy - a bit like independence day for you guys and I was pretty drunk by 9am in the morning on the lifts and I couldn't crack open a beer because I was wearing my morph suit (full body suit) and couldn't get my fingers under the can opener thing. I asked the guy next to me and he said something along the lines of yeah sure and then cracked it open and then i say, you want to join me in a beer? He declines then says he was a raging alcoholic back in the day and thats the first beer he's opened in like 10 years! But he was super cool with it, had a good laugh with us on the way up and sent us on our merry way! Made me love Canadians even more!

How can you even recognize people with their goggles, beanies, sunglasses, helmets on?  I don't even recognize my own family!  LOL

I remember my first time boarding ever and it was at Mt High, we were on the bunny lift and some boarder jumped off midway through the lift.  I'm surprised the workers didn't even say anything.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 12:16pm
This one guy tried to jump off the lift into a big pile of snow before at big bear. He got BURIED. snow ended up at his shoulders. He needed help getting out and was then kicked out of the ski area hahaLOL
Local
Local
Vail

Quote motoxninja80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 3:00pm
I was on the lift one time and this little kid was on skis straightlining like a missile, his dad was maybe 50 feet behind him screaming "Pizza" at the top of his lungs. the kid faceplanted and his dad kept saying "Good Job" I felt bad for the kid but the dad was hilarious.
kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kyle521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 3:08pm
a got a really good one, a while ago in utah my friend and his brother were riding the lift with shaun white at park city, this was before he won the Olympics, his brother lifted the bar up and hit him in the chin.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by kyle521

a got a really good one, a while ago in utah my friend and his brother were riding the lift with shaun white at park city, this was before he won the Olympics, his brother lifted the bar up and hit him in the chin.

Is this for reals? That's so cool, meeting Shaun White before he was famous.
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 9:07pm
Guy tried getting on the lift while pushing his board forward, bound foot in back (probably not totally un-doable actually, but this guy was a noob).  Everyone was yelling at him, but he acted like he didn't understand English.  The lifties couldn't stop the chair in time.  Sure enough, the guy got pushed forward and did a header down into the pit.
kushman182 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kushman182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 4:08am
Originally posted by screwyvarmint

Guy tried getting on the lift while pushing his board forward, bound foot in back (probably not totally un-doable actually, but this guy was a noob).  Everyone was yelling at him, but he acted like he didn't understand English.  The lifties couldn't stop the chair in time.  Sure enough, the guy got pushed forward and did a header down into the pit.
oddly enough thats actually how i push my board...anyway we were at my local hill one day and my buddy and i were getting on the lift, well he didnt keep his board up and the nose dug into the snow, he tried holding onto the lift but he ended up getting a facefull of snow, the best part was the liftie wasnt watching so the lift never stopped LOL
Local
Local
Vail

Quote motoxninja80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 7:23am
One day my friends and I decided to all get on the lifts switch one day....that was the biggest mistake. We fell so much
sdip12 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Stash

Quote sdip12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 7:31am
I was riding at killington one afternoon and believe it or no the guy in front of my was eating a PB and J sandwich. Then all of a sudden he either dropped it or threw it i couldn't tell because he was in front of my but it hit a skier right in the chest and the peanut butter side of the sandwich stuck onto his jacket clean! It was really funny!
Local
Local
Vail

Quote motoxninja80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 9:45am
Oh that skier had a bad day hahaha, that is hilarious. I would hate to have pb and j all over my jacket and stuff
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 10:43am
Originally posted by sdip12

I was riding at killington one afternoon and believe it or no the guy in front of my was eating a PB and J sandwich. Then all of a sudden he either dropped it or threw it i couldn't tell because he was in front of my but it hit a skier right in the chest and the peanut butter side of the sandwich stuck onto his jacket clean! It was really funny!

What did the skier dude do after getting hit?  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 11:17am
A couple years ago in april I was waiting for the chair to swing around and not paying attention I missed the chair. I had no time to recover and got bashed into a wet muddy pile of rocks and got cut up all over. On a less pathetic note, last year I was riding by myself and these little shredders probably about 9 or 10 started to tell me that I should dye my hair red to look like Shaun White and the next thing I know these kids followed me around the park for a good two hours
screwyvarmint View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote screwyvarmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 11:34am
Only thing that's really gone awry with me personally was at Sugar Bowl on a windy day.  The loading zone was a sheet of ice.  We careful got into position without falling, but then a huge gust of wind came out of nowhere and blew us all forward.  There was no traction at all, so we all ended up down the slope in front.  Lifties stopped the chairs and helped us climb back up.  They said it had been happening frequently, tho that means they really ought to have been breaking up the ice sheet.  lol
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2012 at 12:35pm

Only thing that's really gone awry with me personally was at Sugar Bowl on a windy day.  The loading zone was a sheet of ice.  We careful got into position without falling, but then a huge gust of wind came out of nowhere and blew us all forward.  There was no traction at all, so we all ended up down the slope in front.  Lifties stopped the chairs and helped us climb back up.  They said it had been happening frequently, tho that means they really ought to have been breaking up the ice sheet.  lol

I hate it when the loading zone is really icy and causes you to slip and fall on your face.
sdip12 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Stash

Quote sdip12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 9:18am
He proceeded to ski until he realized what had been thrown at him stuck to his jacket. Then he stopped turned around and yelled and tried to throw it back but it didnt reach! He seemed like he was not to happy it was pretty funny! I boarded down towards that area and found the peanut butter side of the sandwich on the ground but the guy had left. I figured he had peanut butter all over his jacket and went to clean it! haha
Local
Local
Vail

Quote motoxninja80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 9:21am
Originally posted by sdip12

He proceeded to ski until he realized what had been thrown at him stuck to his jacket. Then he stopped turned around and yelled and tried to throw it back but it didnt reach! He seemed like he was not to happy it was pretty funny! I boarded down towards that area and found the peanut butter side of the sandwich on the ground but the guy had left. I figured he had peanut butter all over his jacket and went to clean it! haha

I would be the most angry haha. He probably smelled like peanut butter all day too.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 11:04am
Originally posted by snowboardinrox357

I hate it when the loading zone is really icy and causes you to slip and fall on your face.
You should practice snowboarding more. Maybe take a lesson or two so you don't fall on your face while the chairlift swings around.
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 11:14am
My friend was messing around on a chair lift and slipped off. He grabbed on to the side and held on to the lift for like 15 secs and then fell. He landed on his left hand and broke his wrist. He still snowboarded the rest of the day.
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 11:39am
with regards to the peanut butter story Ive never really liked people who throw shit off the lift. I think its just a dick move and it pisses me off when people do that.
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 11:44am
Me and my friends went to this small New England resort that was only open on weekends. We bribed the lift guy to let us on without a pass, but he forgot to tell the liftie that took over for him. We were stuck on the lift overnight and the groomers didn't see us....no wait, that was actually a movie....
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 11:47am
Hahaha. Halfway through reading that I was thinking "Wow this guy is full of crap, thats a movie" but then i got to the bottom and started laughing.
Local
Local
Vail

Quote motoxninja80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 2:19pm
That's pretty impressive that your friend continued to shred after falling off the lift and breaking his wrist.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by motoxninja80

That's pretty impressive that your friend continued to shred after falling off the lift and breaking his wrist.

Ouch that must of hurt. The guy is pretty strong to continue snowboarding after breaking his wrist. :)
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 10:57am
Originally posted by julius77

Originally posted by snowboardinrox357

You should practice snowboarding more. Maybe take a lesson or two so you don't fall on your face while the chairlift swings around.

Ignorant.
Even if you're amazing at riding if you're not expecting it and you're skating up to the loading zone and it's literally a sheet of ice (common on the ice coast) and you foot break and put more weight on your brake foot, it's quite easy for it to slip out.
Falling on your face seems exaggerated unless your cruising straight into the lift zone, but still embarrassing none-the-less.
Some lift ops are too lazy to fix it up, or its too busy to at the time.
Solution...next time you ride up don't push off just skate to the zone and don't take your foot off.
LegalBoarding View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote LegalBoarding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 12:00pm
I got two stories for you!

Story 1:  
Year: 2009??

So one day my friends and I were boarding and just finished a run. We decided to take the lift up and just as we got onto the lift, we noticed some smoke up on the mountain and ahead of us. It wasn't much at first so we didn't pay much attention. As we got further up the mountain and realized the fire wasn't coming from the woods, we decided to watch. It turns out the smoke was coming from a car. Just as we passed over the car (about 30 ft above it) the car exploded! As we passed over, we saw the owner come running out in what little she/he had on. They were throwing water (or gas, whatever) on it and realized it was no good and just watched form the house as her car burned to ashes. Of course, Mountain Creek being the company that it was, just kept running the lifts despite the fire coming up pretty high and smoke rising right into the chair lift rider's faces. I raced down to ride again a few times just to see the aftermath lol. The car was charred to a crisp and the cars around it singed (probably still usable, but scarred nonetheless). The dude just sat there and well... we just kinda laughed and were like "wow, that shit was crazzzyyyyy"

Story number 2. (no where as exciting as number 2)
Year: 2008?

So this happened on one of my teaching days. One day as i was teaching some friends how to board, I was sticking around the greens. When we were resting at the bottom, I all of a sudden heard a scream, I turned, and then a *Pffffff.* What I had just witnessed was an overweight African-American lady falling off the lift from about 15 feet up. The crazy thing was she fell right where there is a walkway crowded with people. I'm surprised no one was fallen on or injured from this rather large woman falling down. She simply got up and walkaway casually, like nothing happened. She's definitely going to felt it in the morning haha. 
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 12:15pm
I was stuck on Keystone's life for 2 hours once when it broke down.   Not a very exciting story, but man was I pissed off and frozen by the time I got off. They gave us free lift tickets when we got off which does me no good since I'm a season pass holder.
whitetiger View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote whitetiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by letourneau41

I was stuck on Keystone's life for 2 hours once when it broke down.   Not a very exciting story, but man was I pissed off and frozen by the time I got off. They gave us free lift tickets when we got off which does me no good since I'm a season pass holder.

I hope you were able to sell them and apply the money towards the next season's pass!
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 1:00pm
Got stuck on a lift at copper near the peak. there was a blizzard and gusting wind so strong they stop the lift for a good 30 minutes. we almost flew off the lift. 
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 1:03pm
Whitetiger - I actually gave them to my brother in law and gave him a few goods days of riding for free.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>