Quick Login: Forgot password?

Chairlift Stories

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <123>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Online Status: Offline
  Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chairlift Stories
    Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 1:37pm
I'd asked for season passes or at least something more than a couple lift tickets.  I've never spent more than 10 minutes on a non-moving lift....think I'd freak on someone.
Lux View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 4:34pm
I actually got stopped once right at the end of the lift before unloading. I was there for a minute before I just strapped in and jumped off. One of the ski instructors flagged me down to start lecturing me. I was like "whatever, woman" and 5-0 manual'd away with my back to her while she kept talking bahaha
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Lux

I actually got stopped once right at the end of the lift before unloading. I was there for a minute before I just strapped in and jumped off. One of the ski instructors flagged me down to start lecturing me. I was like "whatever, woman" and 5-0 manual'd away with my back to her while she kept talking bahaha

Yeah, that happened to me as well. I hate it when the chair lift operators stop you for strapping in your bindings too early. I don't get why snowboarders have to unstrap their bindings before going on the lift in the first place.
iamjason10 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote iamjason10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 7:43pm
my bud and i were on this long lift with some random guy so we started "talking homosexual to each other about what we were going to do later as vividly as possible. Then the guys starts texting so my buddy leans over and starts reading his phone. The guy never said anything but im sure he was thinking WTF!
AndreasWiings View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AndreasWiings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 7:58pm
It's so sad but oh so funny to see the little groms just get taken out by the chair while trying to load.
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2012 at 10:38am
Two years ago I got on a quad lift with a middle-aged man and his child, I'm guessing around 8 or 9 years old. Half way up the lift the father starts taking hefty swigs from a flask. I thought it was pretty hilarious, a pretty bad example but hilarious. Not to mention it was around 10 in the morning.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2012 at 11:36am
Originally posted by humblerooster

My friend was messing around on a chair lift and slipped off. He grabbed on to the side and held on to the lift for like 15 secs and then fell. He landed on his left hand and broke his wrist. He still snowboarded the rest of the day.

I remember this one time when I went to Mt High, some dude broke his wrist but he kept on boarding for the rest of the day as well in the park.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2012 at 8:44am
These two girls in front of me kept pointing and laughing at people below that ate it. Or beginners in general. Then when it came to getting off the lift they both and ate it. So when I went around them I pointed and laughed.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2012 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Muse25

These two girls in front of me kept pointing and laughing at people below that ate it. Or beginners in general. Then when it came to getting off the lift they both and ate it. So when I went around them I pointed and laughed.

Haha nice one, karma is a bish~  LOL

I remember when I went to Stevens and wanted to check out the park side, which was hella empty by the way.  The chairs were so tiny and they speed on them was insane so my friend jumped on but I couldn't get my little tush up in time so I went super man on the floor.  LOL
yaya34 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Evil Monkeys Not So Evil After All

Quote yaya34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2013 at 2:50pm
I have a great story about my friend. I was visiting him in Steamboat Springs, Co. where he lives. While we were on the lift he decided that he wanted to drop off so instead of simply jumping off, he squirms his way down a bit and then grabs onto the Ski bar that allows you to rest your feet. He held onto this for a good 5 seconds and then jumped off and went down the mountain. While he was doing this a Steamboat employee saw him and told him to stop and proceeded to chase him down the mountain. However my buddy burned this guy down the slope only to find out that he radioed down to the lift and said if anyone with a bright pink coat comes down, stop him. Haha. He wound up getting nabbed at the lift and they suspended his season pass for a week.
YaYa
irish-boarder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote irish-boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2013 at 3:42pm
Not really as epic as some of the stories on here but me and 3 mates got stuck on a chairlift in Verbier, Switzerland last year. The sun was shining, it was coming to the end of the season. After about 35mins of sitting stationary i took out my iphone to play a few tunes to numb the boredom, after 3/4 songs we were bellowing out Queens Bohemian Rhapsody. It was great fun. Also after that we (for some unknown reason) pretended we were snipers and head-shotting people coming down the piste (2 of my mates were skiers, hence the poles). The things we do when we're bored eh?
The 'GINGERS HAVE SOULS' kid is crazy..
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2013 at 5:08pm
When I went snowboarding during winter break, there was this one guy who was sitting behind me and he was jumping up and down on his seat, and it made all the chairs near him rock up and down.
Lux View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2013 at 5:27pm
Last week, a sweet lady skier in her 40s started a conversation with me on the chair lift. It was just her and I. I'm pretty sure she was part of a tourist group from Qu├ębec and mistook me for somebody else in that group. Kept telling me about some good runs with good snow and I just played along with it lol.. Nice lady, really.
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2013 at 5:34pm
Just chilling on the chair lift during night ski. BOOM all the lights go out and the lift stops... People start freaking out a bit. People that were boarding/skiing took off the board/skis and started walking down to slope to the lift. After about 30 mins the lift and light came back up. rough day haha
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2013 at 11:09am
Mang got horse collar (pulled down by the collar) by a noob boarder.
She was cute too, was talking to her on the lift...shoulda got her # and made her buy me a drink.
Side of my hip still effing hurts.
teaker View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote teaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2013 at 11:20am
My dad told me that he was skiing in Aspen one time a long way back when a kid (or young adult) pulled out a vial of blow and asked him if he'd like any..

My dad said "what in the hell! you can't be doing that stuff man- you're too young!" or something along those lines. (at least that's what he claims)..

Anyhow, the kid went on to tell my dad that the day before he was on a lift chair with Jack Nicholson, who had his own vial- but when he pulled it out he dropped it, at which time he said "oops, it seems that I've dropped my lunch."
xxblondiee View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
<3

Quote xxblondiee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2013 at 1:26pm
had a good one today, a Russian man barged past my friends father at the queue of the chair lift, so he had a go at him 'haven't you ever heard of a thing called a queue you blah blah blah'

and then I ended up sat in between then both on the chair lift... fun times!

also, a skier decided to stand in the middle of the exit from the chair lift at the top to put his skis on, and with only one foot in my boyfriend couldn't go off the path, so ended up hitting the skiers pole, had a go at the man telling him he's in the most stupid place ever and that if he wasn't stood there it wouldn't happen...
They then got into an argument.. and out of all the people in the world that could be at Bansko, it ended up being a friend of mine from back in the UK...

two for you!
Lux View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2013 at 5:56pm
Last night at Glen Eden...:
"Hey man do you smoke pot?"
"Not tonight"
"Okay, you mind if I smoke?"
"You gonna spark up now?"
"Yeah man. Is it cool?"
"Go ahead, I'm not going to stop you."
"Aight cool."
pulls out a bong and lighter from his jacket and starts to puff
Then the voice of a ski patrol speaking into the walkie talkie on the chair behind us:
"(indiscernible)... chair lift, tower three"
"Shit! F*ck! Awww f*ck!"
cds4288 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cds4288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2013 at 6:39pm
perfect timing for this thread. this past week at park city my friend shut down the lift to the terrain park twice on the same run, once getting one the lift and being run over by the chair and again at the top when he fell and hurt his tailbone getting off of the chair. he is very accident prone and everyone was staring at him on both sides of the lift haha.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2013 at 10:26pm
^^ haha Lux, I kind of have a similar story... went to Blue on the last day of the season 2 years ago.  Barely anyone there, only a handful of trails open, and I end up on the chairlift with this young dude.  He, like myself, was by himself just working on tricks and such.  We started small talk about how the conditions were a lot better than expected on such a warm sunny day.  We ended up agreeing that we'd ride together for the rest of the day.  Turns out the dude is awesome and he really pushed me to improve as much as I could before the season literally ended that day.  Later on we decide to take a break, he asks me if I smoke (weed), I said no, but I have some beers I can bring up.  So while we're hiding in the trees, he lights one up while I drink a tall boy.  Met up with him the following season a couple times, then he moved to Whistler and is working and living the POW shred life over there now.  Lucky bastard!

EDIT:  Oh, I forgot I had footage of him, this was the guy, hahaha...

Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
Flying Penguin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Flying Penguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2013 at 4:35pm
My buddy was on a life on Squaw and was towards the end of the life. He leans forward to early, causing him to fall 30 ft straight onto the ground. Lucky he landed on 3ft of powder and was perfectly fine. He just laid there for a while and had a cute medic come check him out. 10 minutes later he just walked it off and rode down the mountain.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2013 at 5:53pm
At this small resort near town, A guy got hit a little harder than he expected by the chair, and was teetering on the brink of falling out of it for about 5 seconds, until he did. Below the lift there are some markers sticking out of the snow, and one went straight up the back of his coat. Quite seriously an inch or two in difference of entry point might've killed the guy!
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2013 at 6:47pm
At Skibowl, a resort in OR, there's a tree that is covered in mardi gras beads. Its a sight to a tree so pimpin everything you go up for another run. Im going to add on to it one day.
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2013 at 1:25pm
Windham in NY has a tree next to the lift full of bras. Another tree is decorated with hanging figurines.
bubbagooch View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bubbagooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2013 at 1:57pm
I met a guy on the lift who I now ride with occasionally if I see him on the mountain who was on a lift with one of the mountain's team riders when the rider pulled out a 1 gallon bag of shrooms and started handing them out.  Apparently the mountain breathes if you ride on shrooms.
nifeblade View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote nifeblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2013 at 7:31pm
at bear valley, i got stuck on the lift and i panicked and jumped off after the landing... somehow i landed correctly and the lift op didnt notice. LOL
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2013 at 8:10am
I was on the lift with a skier. He seemed bothered by something and kept on messing with his skis. Eventually, one of his ski came off. Without a thought, he said to my buddy and I that he's jumping for it. I grabbed on to his backpack and reply, "you're effing insane, you can wait, chill out." He accepted my suggestion, but jumped minutes after without warning. We were at least two stories high from the lift to where he landed. He stuck the landing pretty good considering the fall, but he seemed to had messed up his back on the landing. Dumb *^%.
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2013 at 9:13am
beats getting chair jacked by Christopher Dorner
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2013 at 11:06am
Originally posted by 2zz

I was on the lift with a skier. He seemed bothered by something and kept on messing with his skis. Eventually, one of his ski came off. Without a thought, he said to my buddy and I that he's jumping for it. I grabbed on to his backpack and reply, "you're effing insane, you can wait, chill out." He accepted my suggestion, but jumped minutes after without warning. We were at least two stories high from the lift to where he landed. He stuck the landing pretty good considering the fall, but he seemed to had messed up his back on the landing. Dumb *^%.

Dude old or young?
motoxninja80 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Vail

Quote motoxninja80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2013 at 9:10am
That guy's got some balls doing that. was there a lot of snow underneath the lift?
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2013 at 10:40am
Doesn't sound like enough snow to cushion his fall.  LOL
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2013 at 6:13pm
Dude seems to be at least in his late 30s. Too old to be jumping from that high.
There was a nice soft layer, about a foot at most. Definitely not enough to cushion all of his energy from the fall.
At least he still have one ski attached after the landing...well kinda landed it I guess.lol
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2013 at 6:19pm
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2013 at 6:24pm
3 of us waiting for our turn to ride the lift when this one guy decided to barge our party, caught by surprise my friends and I got separated., he ended up riding with just me. then this guy asked me if I mind if he smokes.  I said I definitely mind.  (there was no line at the lift at all.. he could have taken the next chair all to himself and smoked) I guess he was in a hurry to get to the top of the hill. 
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 6:40am
Originally posted by 2zz

wow... that looked like it hurt... poor kid i hope he made it out alright...
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 7:43am
where is his board or his skis? i read the article about it and it said that he was throwing a snowball at the group in front of him (the filmers). his momentum carried him over the lift. apparently he was held for 3 days and then sent home. had a small skull fracture and lacerated lung but basically fine.  
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 8:17am
^ I bet the dumbass never attempts to throw a snowball from a chair again, stupid kids.
cds4288 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cds4288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 9:04am
yeah unless you trip getting on or off a lift this should never happen. you have to be a complete idiot to fall off a lift in transit. the only ones that do where playing around.
ford_302boss_ View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ford_302boss_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 9:06am
i don't have any great storys, we just usually play a nice game of penis
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 9:12am
Originally posted by ford_302boss_

Great, thanks for sharing...  Thumbs Down
bdanross View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bdanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 11:35am
Originally posted by sideways99

^ I bet the dumbass never attempts to throw a snowball from a chair again, stupid kids.

not the easiest way to learn a lesson. glad he is okay but there is a reason that the darwin awards are around. 
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 11:42am
Originally posted by ford_302boss_

I'm not sure what that game is but the title says it all I guess.  LOL  What do girls play then?  Titties?  LOL
ford_302boss_ View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ford_302boss_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 12:22pm
The Penis Game

A humorous, albeit inappropriate, game involving a minimum of two people. One person will whisper penis while the second male or female will whisper it louder. The game will continue until the person who says "Penis" the loudest gets caught. That person loses while the rest of the participants win.
Beelzebub View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Beelzebub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 12:30pm
you guys don't play Pen!s ? maybe its a midwest thing. i tried to get Hasbro in on the idea but they said something about children... blah ... lawsuit ... blah. i think it would make a lot of money any one want in on the idea for $10 ? remember Trivial pursuit
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 1:12pm
even my 6yr old kid knows not to play around on the lift..it's not that difficult..just sit there...hitting someone w/ a snowball is not worth the possibility of falling to your death...Dead
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by AJD13

Originally posted by 2zz

wow... that looked like it hurt... poor kid i hope he made it out alright...

that is just crazy.  I am glad he is alright, they should show this video to all the kids trying to get on the lifts.  I been taking my 8 year old nephew riding and when I pull the bar down I make him put the middle divider between his legs. if there are a lot of people with us I make sure I hold him. I wouldn't want anything like that happen to him. or anyone for that matter
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 7:54pm
why did he get into that situation to begin? honestly if l was him, l would be a little more calm and try to hold on 
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/JennyLi
jades10 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jades10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 10:46pm
Ford - I've heard/seen the penis game played first hand, hilarious, I didn't know what the f*ck they were on about.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2013 at 5:29pm
I know someone who their mother fell off while her older sister (at the time very young) was crying. The sister got to the top and told the chairlift attendant, while crying, that her mom fell off the lift and died.  She didn't know that her mom, got up, and skied to the bottom of the lift, with nothing wrong. That has to be so traumatic as a child to see your mom fall off
snowflakez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowflakez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2013 at 6:17pm
couple of years back i sat down too late so i turned around and hung from the chair lift, grasping to the seat with my arms. fortunately i was able to bring myself back up before falling off.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>