Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zionmagus View Drop Down
Local
Local
My friend's custom design Forum Mini Youngblood

Online Status: Online
  Quote zionmagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goggles advice
    Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 4:41pm
I just recently reached the free goggles mark and I've narrowed down to some choices that I wanna get.  They are:

1) Electric EG2
2) Vonzipper Feenom
3) Vonzipper Fishbowl
4) Anon Comrade
5) Spy Platoon

What I'm looking for is the highest field of vision, fog proof, and fit.  Which of these would be the best bang for the buck from you guys experiences?  And are there others that you'd like to recommend?  Any suggestions/feedback will be appreciated.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 4:48pm
the one and only way to know how they fit is to try them on in person.  outside of that, there is basically nothing relevant anyone can tell you with any certainty, but rather a best guess that may not really help.

the other thing is that fit has a lot to do with how fog proof they will be.. another reason you need to try them on in person.

as far as size/peripheral alone, the EG2 and fishbowl are at the top of the spectrum.  feenoms are a larger frame but not as big and not as much peripheral.  i'm not very familiar with the comrade or platoon so i can't comment on those.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Online Status: Offline
  Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 5:17pm

Like spens said, try them on in person. 

I will say, I got a pair of the Feenoms last season and I love them.  Best pair I've owned in 10 years of boarding and the 14 years I skiied (when I was young and snowboards weren't yet everywhere).
Funinc158 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Funinc158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 5:19pm
Platoons fit similar to eg2s. The comrades are big but fit pretty narrow, ie they do offer a bigger field of vision but the fit on the face is much narrower than eg2s, fishbowls, and platoons.
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 5:35pm

I see from your specs that you have listed on your profile that you arent the biggest guy.

I see you want a goggle with the best field of vision... aka the EG2s, the fish bowls etc...

But those are pretty big.   The Fish bowls would be HUGE on your face.

I went with the Von Zipper Sky Labs. They are a large lensed goggle. Same as you are asking about.

I am a pretty big boy.. 6' 1"  215. .And the Von Zipper Sky Lab,  which are a bit smaller then the Von Zipper Fish Bowl and about the same size as the Electric EG2s... fit me perfectly.

Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 7:57pm
I have Platoons and find they're a great fit for me. Like you I had a tough time deciding between goggles to get but the best and only thing is to try them on.
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 8:38pm
Yeah definitely try them out. I like the EG2 personally because of the small frame and the field of vision. But if you think you're face is pretty small and you're afraid you'll look like a bug, check out the Electric EG2.5 which is pretty much a smaller version.
NikolaSpee View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote NikolaSpee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 10:29pm
I took skylab and they fit nice on smaller faces. I also liked fenom but in live chat with staff they told me I can select goggles if regular price is less then $100 (without % sale). So You should ask them how it works if price is higher.
LarsGenius View Drop Down
Local
Local
Light It Up

Quote LarsGenius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2012 at 10:44pm
VZ Feenoms work great for me and I have a big melon. - size 7 3/4.

Fogging up doesn't ever seem to be an issue. Great field of vision. Not too bulky.

The fact that I never think about them when riding is a testament to how good they perform.

krisshono View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote krisshono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 3:11am
I have the eg2's and have no regrets on buying them, they are awesome. Ive heard of some people having fitment issues with a helmet tho. My head is big so i have a big helmet and they fit perfect. If i was going to get new goggles i'd buy another pair of eg2's
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just before descending into the Waipio Valley Hawai'i

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 3:46am
I just picked up a pair of Feenoms with my 1500 point bonus.... pretty excited as I've wanted them since I spotted the "Bob Marley" colorway last season.

I'll be flip flopping these with my EG2s.  Although i love my eg's i feel at times they are just a little too big.  Occasionally i feel pressure on my nose from my helmet pressing down on the goggle.  I too have a large melon (7 3/4 fitted, XL in most helmets) so I've always been a little surprised that they did this. 

Having tried on the Feenoms at a local shop, i would compare their size to the Electric EG2.5 (wife has a pair).  Still big, and provide an excellent field of view, they just lack the super oversized look of their big brother.
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 5:15am
Originally posted by Shift4200

I just picked up a pair of Feenoms with my 1500 point bonus.... pretty excited as I've wanted them since I spotted the "Bob Marley" colorway last season.I'll be flip flopping these with my EG2s.  Although i love my eg's i feel at times they are just a little too big.  Occasionally i feel pressure on my nose from my helmet pressing down on the goggle.  I too have a large melon (7 3/4 fitted, XL in most helmets) so I've always been a little surprised that they did this.  Having tried on the Feenoms at a local shop, i would compare their size to the Electric EG2.5 (wife has a pair).  Still big, and provide an excellent field of view, they just lack the super oversized look of their big brother.

What was the deal with the 1500 point free goggle bonus. Did you have to pay extra on top of the $100 you got off for the goggles?
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 5:29am
Originally posted by woodyy05

I just picked up a pair of Feenoms with my 1500 point bonus.... pretty excited as I've wanted them since I spotted the "Bob Marley" colorway last season..

What was the deal with the 1500 point free goggle bonus. Did you have to pay extra on top of the $100 you got off for the goggles?

Yes, any amount over $100 you will have to pay for.

And with the point giveaway stuff, you can't select from 2013 gear. (I think)
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 6:45am
I got the Giro Manifest with my 1500pts..comes w/ 2 lenses and have been very happy with them for a season. i put it around the helmet and it fits just fine. no fogging whatsoever.
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just before descending into the Waipio Valley Hawai'i

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 7:02am
Originally posted by chillwill

I just picked up a pair of Feenoms with my 1500 point bonus.... pretty excited as I've wanted them since I spotted the "Bob Marley" colorway last season..

Something to keep in mind on this..... although you get a 100$ off coupon for whatever non 2013 goggle you pick, your "Member discount" no longer applies.  The 100$ gets taken off of the Standard TruSnow sale price. 

For example.... My Feenoms are about 90$ with my member discount.  But by adding the promo code, they jumped to 111$.  Not that I'm complaining.... 11$ for a pair of goggs that I nearly paid 125$ for last season is a steal.

Add to that the fact that the Feenoms come with 2 lens options (low light and sunny).... I really think I made out well.
winn View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my collection

Quote winn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 7:41am
l have the feenom, fits pretty nicely for me. Tried the fishbowl too, its ok OVERLY big in my opinion, didn't fit well with my helmet as it pushed my helmet up or my nose down
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 8:24am

Originally posted by chillwill

Something to keep in mind on this..... although you get a 100$ off coupon for whatever non 2013 goggle you pick, your "Member discount" no longer applies.  The 100$ gets taken off of the Standard TruSnow sale price. 

For example.... My Feenoms are about 90$ with my member discount.  But by adding the promo code, they jumped to 111$.  Not that I'm complaining.... 11$ for a pair of goggs that I nearly paid 125$ for last season is a steal.

Add to that the fact that the Feenoms come with 2 lens options (low light and sunny).... I really think I made out well.

Exactly right about the 2 lenses.  This is why I chose the Feenoms with my goggle coupon too.  And let me tell you firsthand, the Nightstalker blue lens that came free works brilliantly at night.  I went to Boreal and omg it was the best night riding vision I've ever had.

If you want bang for your buck (which is what I was after too) then I'd say narrow it down further by choosing a goggle that comes with a bonus lens.
kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kyle521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 8:38am
i would go with the eg2s based on the options you put, but personally i like oakley crobars
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 10:51am
Hmm I always see EG2 for sale on Whiskey and stuff.  I've never heard anyone on here talk about any of the others except for Freenom and EG2.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 11:19am
damn had I known about the two lenses that Feenoms had.. I might have considered that.. gone to the stores and try em on.. 
but I got the Oakley Splice frames and standard persimmons lenses. better fit for my face type, wider, lower/smaller nose bridge
trying them on is always the best bet for fit and the venting of the googles help with the fogging
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 11:37am
^ I'm definitely a fan of Oakley Splices, have 2 pairs (had 3 but sold one) and really like the lens, comfort, fit and style.

Also like my Dragon Rogues and Electric EG2s.  Don't know why but I love goggles...
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by spenser

the one and only way to know how they fit is to try them on in person.  outside of that, there is basically nothing relevant anyone can tell you with any certainty, but rather a best guess that may not really help.

the other thing is that fit has a lot to do with how fog proof they will be.. another reason you need to try them on in person.

as far as size/peripheral alone, the EG2 and fishbowl are at the top of the spectrum.  feenoms are a larger frame but not as big and not as much peripheral.  i'm not very familiar with the comrade or platoon so i can't comment on those.

What Spencer said^
same thing goes for helmets and boots... try them on.  It's totally worth it.

I can tell you a little of my experience with the EG2s:
I scooped up some EG2s for my free pair last season and really like them for the wide field of vision.  I bought a 2nd lens (yellow) for really low night and night riding.  They came w/ a mirrored amber lens.  The mirrored finish seems to be easy to scratch. Not that the actual lens is easy to scratch.. but the mirrored finish comes off when scratched.  I have been carefully and only have a little scratch that took off the mirrored finish. A branch in the trees got me.
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 4:37pm
So with the Feenom's that come with the extra lens, is that 'nightstalker blue' that you're talking about only a night type goggle? or can it be used like a yellow/persimmon for snowing,raining and generally overcast and low to flat light conditions? I was going to get the Oakley Crowbars with the Persimmon Lens (my goggles from last season with the HI Yellow lens and I don't have a single bad thing to say about them) Or would the Feenom's be a better goggle... Also I always wear a helmet too..
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 5:05pm
My Platoons also came with extra lens which was somewhat the deciding factor as to why I chose it over the EG2's. Helps with different light options and such. Not sure if its still offering the bonus lens but can't beat that. But its all preference in the end.
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
HUMP ALL SNOW!!

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 5:35pm
You should only be buying goggles in person, wearing them yourself before paying. With that said, I wear Smith I/O. They're better for fuller, more gaunt faces than mine. I think they'll fit over 80% of American males, really. The optics on Smith goggles are second to none....
return2heaven View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote return2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2012 at 5:58pm
field of vision + anti fog + fit = Airblaster Airgoggles.  i included fit because anyone who has ever tried my air gogs (there have been many, with all different size heads and faces of course) has gone out and bought themselves a pair shortly after. BUT, if you're going for that bulbous, space age astronaut look... then nevermind
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2012 at 3:59pm
I love the electric EG2 because of the size and fit. I have owned the EG1, EG1s, and EG2....and the EG2 are by far my favorite.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2012 at 4:13pm
I have the Vonzipper Skylab goggles and they are great quality so I don't think that you could go wrong with either the feenom or the fishbow.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2012 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by return2heaven

field of vision + anti fog + fit = Airblaster Airgoggles.  i included fit because anyone who has ever tried my air gogs (there have been many, with all different size heads and faces of course) has gone out and bought themselves a pair shortly after. BUT, if you're going for that bulbous, space age astronaut look... then nevermind
haha i share the same experience with airgoggles.  we have converted so many of the people we ride with and just people in general.  i dunno what it is about those goggles but i never want to wear anything else.

that being said, you still need to try them on
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2012 at 6:44pm
Hmmm Ill give airblaster goggles a try since you guys like them so much. I never though they would be any good because they looked kind of cheap to me.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2012 at 6:57pm
hah, that's silly.  basic does not equal cheap.  i used to get confused by aesthetics too, but some of those products have been the best i've ever used, and still use to this day.  they're made in japan, super flexible and form-fitting frames, cheap lenses that work as good as anything else, and the baker lenses are the only ones in the industry with that design as far as i know.  they're as high quality as anything else i have ever used, and i happen to like them more than anything else.  airblaster is also a great company to support.  it's almost more of a movement than a brand, if you ask me.

my other favorite goggle is the dragon D1XT, which was the very first frame they came out with back in the 90's and then re-introduced a few years ago with the same exact tooling as far as i know.  sometimes simplicity is also the most functional.

but if you want a big space goggle, go for it.  get whatever YOU like.  there's nothing wrong with that.  all the models mentioned here are great, given that they fit your face first.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2012 at 7:48pm
So much of the money I've spent on goggles feels wasted. When I first rode with a-frames, it changed the way I thought goggles could fit. They felt molded to my face and never fog or pinch my nose. Try to find that pair of goggles for you. It's worth being picky about.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
mj2delmenico View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mj2delmenico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2012 at 9:29pm
Basically you need to try them on yourself if possible. Read the reviews on them to gauge their capabilities to stay fog free but your decision should come down to what feels good one your face.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 8:06am

So with the Feenom's that come with the extra lens, is that 'nightstalker blue' that you're talking about only a night type goggle? or can it be used like a yellow/persimmon for snowing,raining and generally overcast and low to flat light conditions? I was going to get the Oakley Crowbars with the Persimmon Lens (my goggles from last season with the HI Yellow lens and I don't have a single bad thing to say about them) Or would the Feenom's be a better goggle... Also I always wear a helmet too..

According to VZ's website, the nightstalker lens is optimal in blizzard and night conditions.  You can use it in overcast weather, but they only give it a moderate rating there.  And it's not recommended at all for sunny or partly cloudy.  Check it out here, and scroll down to where they have the INFO.  Click the different lenses and see how the recommendation changes.

scuddera View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
hitting my first 5

Quote scuddera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 8:14am
Spy Zeds come with 2 lenses and you dont owe anything else after the fact. Thats what I did atleast and it was an awesome decision. I love them
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 8:21am
Yeah I also looked at the Zed's when my goggle coupon was usable, and actually placed an order for them, but unfortunately they were not eligible for use with the goggle coupon so I had my order cancelled and then went with the Feenom instead.  But if there are any Zed's still lying around, I'll bet that they are eligible now (as long as they aren't new 2013 version.)

eddiexchoi View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote eddiexchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 8:35am
eg2 is the shit!
eddie
zionmagus View Drop Down
Local
Local
My friend's custom design Forum Mini Youngblood

Quote zionmagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 4:28pm
Thanks everyone for their insights.  I've been too busy to go to a local shop to try them on, and it's getting too late since everybody else snatched all the colors that I wanted, so I just went ahead and pulled the plug on the Feenom for the extra lenses.  Hope I don't regret it ^^,
 Post Reply Post Reply