signal OG vs omni

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bzboarder View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bzboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: signal OG vs omni
    Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 2:19pm
Thank you so much for all your help Spenser! I think you've definitely made up my mind on the omni. This will be my first venture into hybrid boards, and if I don't care for it, I can always switch back to the old board. But you've eased my worries about trying new technology. Thanks! And I'll be sure to write up a review in few weeks when I get it out on some white stuff!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 12:09am
which other boards have you ridden and how did you feel about them?

based on your feedback so far, i think you would appreciate full camber for the pop and stability, but on the flipside i think you will appreciate the ease of buttering that comes with rocker, as well as extra float in powder.  you should be able to find a middleground that gives you enough of both sides.

weight-wise, pretty much everything is going to be lighter than that older board these days.

as far as stability, it's hard to say.  there's nothing like a good full-cambered deck for that, but you can certainly find hybrid rockers that are very stable.  usually a profile like the omni will give you a lot of the feelings of camber like stability, carving, etc, but it's just a little easier and slightly "looser." you may also find that with carving, it feels slightly shorter than its true length because of that loss of effective edge, but that doesn't have to be a negative.  in return, it may help with that slow edge-to-edge feeling.  it's easy to maneuver because of the slight rocker, but still powerful and grippy from the camber.

the only thing i have personally not liked about a profile like that of the omni is that it feels a little shorter than advertised (to me).  it depends on the exact board and it's not much in general, but still.  it's a preference thing, and i like the feel of full edge contact, hence i'm not totally in love with a board that feels a little shorter than i like.  i guess that's part of the reason for suggesting you slightly size up with the omni?

it's late and i'm getting a little loopy, so we can continue this later.  plus, the other helpful members are probably sleeping at present...
bzboarder View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote bzboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 10:55pm
I understand what you're saying about adapting, I'm sure I could adapt to anything given the need. I generally like the board a lot. The stiffness can be annoying at times, i can barely butter on it and im over weight for the deck (and i know its not me, as i can butter pretty well on other decks). Its aggressive in the turns, but I feel is a bit slow edge-to-edge. It has pretty amazing pop, can launch me without even trying, but that's probably due to its stiffness. I think its really heavy though, looking for something a little more light and playful. The only thing I'm scared of is giving up a lot of my high speed stability, would that happen with the omni? also, why would pros be sticking to the OG?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 10:32pm
by beastly, i just meant stiffer and more aggressive i guess.  boards in general have toned down over the years.  could you give a little more feedback on how you feel about your current forum?  how you feel about the stiffness, any certain aspects of the ride (the way it turns, pops, etc), or whatever you can think of.  the more the better.

hybrids can vary quite a bit.. ultimately it just means you have rocker and camber in the same profile, but they can come together in a bunch of different ways.

the omni's camber is a little lower than average camber, thus a slightly mellower feel, and it extends a few inches past the binding inserts if i remember correctly.  this means you're standing on a cambered platform, which gives you edge hold, snap between turns, pop, stability, etc.  but when you add rocker to the ends of the board, it shortens the effective edge like i said.  you do lose a little natural edge hold (focuses it a little more toward the center VS the entire length of the board) and it changes the feel a bit, but we're not talking about anything too extreme.  it's just a little easier to ride, more forgiving (won't kick your ass as much if you make mistakes), and it adds float in powder which you may really love.  "a more forgiving camber" is a pretty good way to put it i guess.

i'm always a little nervous when i help people with boards (i help run a shop) because the reality is that you never truly know anything for sure.. it's more of a best-educated-guess situation.  i will say that i'm a little wary of how you'll feel about the omni just because you're used to that older stiffer board, but at the same time, so many people end up loving boards like this after upgrading from an old deck, and the omni is fully capable of being the awesome all mountain board you're after.  and if you're a half decent rider, you will adjust to anything.
bzboarder View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote bzboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 10:19pm
I do love the board, but just figured it was time for an upgrade. Is my old board better than what I'm looking at, or is that not what you meant by beastly?

I'm thinking of a 59 as well. Would I have to adjust to a hybrid rocker? Or is it just like a more forgiving camber?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 9:50pm
yeah, i figured that older board was on the stiff side.  back in the day, people actually rode man-boards (as they should have) when they were sending themselves off cliffs and whatnot.. peter line of course being no exception.  this was why had a hard time suggesting either of those signal boards, since i was assuming your forum was more of a beast than either of them.

personally, and especially since you said you think your 57 is a little small, i would suggest the omni in a 59.  just a hair bigger.  i think the 62 would be a good choice too, but with your desire to start heading to the park, 59 it is.  still enough to support you, not too much to hinder you.  the width will be fine for your 10.5s as well.
bzboarder View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote bzboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 9:44pm
Forgot to mention, I ride a 157 now. I think its small for me, but it's insanely stiff.
bzboarder View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote bzboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 9:41pm
Now thats the other thing, I'm built with terrible proportions (or lack there of, haha). I'm 5'7", 205 lbs (but rapidly losing weight due to some unfortunate medical conditions), and wear a 10.5 boot (JP Walkers). I'm built like a tank.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 9:18pm
i would lean toward the omni then.  the slight rocker will aid you in natural snow, as well as park progression, but you've still got a mid-stiff flex and a cambered area for stability/pop/control/edgehold/etc.  it's not a "park" board, but rather a true go-anywhere do-anything all mountain slayer, which sounds like what you want.

i think getting the proper size here is key.  what are your weight/height/bootsize stats, and how big is the board you're on now?
bzboarder View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote bzboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 9:09pm
So it sounds like the Omni would be better for getting into park?

I dont really have the money to start building a quiver just yet, so I kinda want something that's going to get me through kinda everything, and as I'm still much more into free ride I'm not thinking about a strictly park board yet.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 8:24pm
the omni is going to be the mellower ride because of the camber profile.  still a ripping "all mountain" stick, but full camber in a mid stiff board just feels more aggressive than a board with mild camber in the middle and rocker on each tip.  both great boards.  hard to decide which to recommend since you are on the older board.

i would break it down like this.  if you go with the full-cambered OG, you are going to get a precise, snappy, supportive ride that holds a great edge and has a lot of energy throughout the ride because of full camber.  the omni will still ride great, but putting rocker in the tips shortens the contact length, thus giving  you a looser more playful ride, and less natural edge hold, and the pop/spring/liveliness is altered as well.  that's not necessarily a bad thing and you may still love the ride, as everything is preference on an individual basis.

given that you want to expand your riding into park, and you currently ride fresh snow in the side/backcountry, the omni's profile will lend its self to both park riding (easier ride, easier presses, etc) as well as float in powder.  that being said, there is nothing wrong with full camber.  just know the differences between the two, and you will ultimately make the final call.

signal is an awesome company.  awesome people, good product.  by all means, support them.
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 6:11pm
While the Omni's hybrid camber profile can help you develop your riding, I'd suggest the OG, if you have the money for it. The OG is traditional camber with a medium flex (Omni is slightly stiffer), and is the top pick for Signal's own team riders, which is worth a consideration. It's still got the power for your groomer runs.

If you're going into park riding, have you given any thought towards the Signal Park? They make a flat camber version of it now.
bzboarder View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote bzboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 1:58pm
Hi everyone. Was looking to get a new board for the upcoming season, and I think I narrowed it down to either the Signal OG or the Signal Omni. I'm an intermediate rider who rides mostly groomers and some side (and back) country but am looking to get a little into basic park this season. Right now I'm riding a (very) old Forum Division (Peter Line Pro model). Never ridden a hybrid rocker.

Which board would be better? Your thoughts on Signal in general?

PS- the reason I'm thinking Signal is they're from my hometown and want to support them, even though I'm located in CO right now.
 Post Reply Post Reply