Quick Login: Forgot password?

Shit Alta Skiers Say About Snowboarding

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <12

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Online Status: Offline
  Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shit Alta Skiers Say About Snowboarding
    Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by BoxStomper

CT: Augusta is allowing those 2 female members to please the IOC, so golf can return to being an olympic sport. The IOC was arguing segregation in the sport of golf, and yeah, there is some to an extent, apparently letting 2 girls play at Augusta is enough to pleas them, and golf is back in.
Weren't the women both of very nice means?  Like Condi Rice and paid banker Darla Moore.  Not like Jill from accounting or Sue the temp, these aren't your average women.  I'm sure there's not a lot of normal guys as members either, maybe not all high profile but paid.
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 12:22pm
yeah, i dont like playing devil's advocate, but from the owners point of view, i wouldnt let boarders on either until I absolutely had to. All the draw they get from those "eliteist" skiers. lol.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 12:36pm

^fj said they must get a premium, they do, it's probably a high dollar lift and first choice of destination for all the pricks that can't handle being around something different than themselves.  True snow junkies are just that, true.  And they don't mind sharing the experience because they really get it.  Like there's different levels of riders from "it's something I do once a year for fun" all the way to "If snow were heroin I'd be smack happy 24-7".  At a certain point it's all about the fun/love and despite the differences, you share the holy feeling of it all. 

I used to ski (because snowboarding hadn't made it too our little town until I was older), now I think it's goofy and whatever.  Not a fan of some skiers possilby left over from the old school rivalry, but the ones that are there for the love are alright by me.  They really get the whole thing regardless of how many planks they're on.
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 4:00pm
The thing about alta is that it creates a bubble for these stupid old skiers.  If Alta and Deer Valley allowed snowboarders these people probably wouldn't be so ignorant.  But there is a bubble and hence a very large portion of skiers who are douchebags! 

snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 4:22pm

Wasn't there a boarders only hill a while back, but it was decided to let skiers on (despite the high number of d-bags in the crowd).

gunda pickle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 5:42pm
Mad River Glen is the culprit in VT.

http://business.transworld.net/13641/features/history-lesson-mad-river-glens-snowboard-ban/
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by gunda pickle

Mad River Glen is the culprit in VT.

http://business.transworld.net/13641/features/history-lesson-mad-river-glens-snowboard-ban/

Woah wait, transworld has a business section? There's a scrolling stock ticker and everything, I check out TW for videos every week but never knew that.
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 9:30pm
Stoked I found this site...
Anyone who wants Alta Snowboard Team sweatshirts buy them here. lolololo
http://www.altasnowboardteam.com/
highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 2:25am
Nobody cares that you ski ALta
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 5:09am
hahaha, I cant believe that there are still people that talk like that.
Oh well, we cant make everyone happy. there are skiers and snowboarders alike that don't like each other, I could care less, it is all about getting out there and having FUN
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 5:23am
^ Well, you know this snowboarding thing is just a fad, it will go away in a few years.

Personally I do not care for any snowboarder or skier who is careless and out of control on the hill, it's not a snowboarder vs. skier thing, it's a safety thing.

After reading some of these posts I am being swayed to keep Alta a ski resort and let the ignorant ski snobs have their own little place where the crazy-ass snowboarders won't hurt them.
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 11:20am
I just can't believe how those people were absolutely dead set against it. Like the lady who said if snowboarders were allowed at Alta she would stop going there and go to one of the other two skier exclusive resorts.
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 11:26am
I'd be fine if they don't let boarders on at Alta. It keeps A holes like that all in one place instead of spreading them out at different resorts. But it would be nice to piss them off by riding on their mountain. I have no problem with skiers just don't like arrogant asses.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 12:12pm
wow, what a bunch of snowboardophobes.  Funny (sad) video

alls I know is that snowboards slay pow.  When it gets really deep, I rarely see skiers at my resort riding in it...fortunately, they're not nazis like some of those alta skiers, and will watch from the edge and hoot you on before they take the easy hard pack way down.  

if alta never got deep pow and just had super steep ice and moguls, I'd say let them be "exclusive"...but, being utah, I can't imagine that's the case.  New terrain is new terrain - if there was a bitchin mtn exclusive for snowboarders, skiers would want to ride it

...and, btw, the last person that took me out was a middle aged skier.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by ctoma

^ Well, you know this snowboarding thing is just a fad, it will go away in a few years.

Personally I do not care for any snowboarder or skier who is careless and out of control on the hill, it's not a snowboarder vs. skier thing, it's a safety thing.

After reading some of these posts I am being swayed to keep Alta a ski resort and let the ignorant ski snobs have their own little place where the crazy-ass snowboarders won't hurt them.
If we could relocate it and them to the middle of the ocean it would be called Asshole Island.  They could just stay there until their inbreed gene pool kills itself off.  Might take a while, but it'd do the snow world some good.  Or maybe the mutants would slowly evolve, short on new skis they'd start single planking.Confused  Sorry, what were we talking about?
highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 12:21pm
Has anyone seen Homewoods announcement about partnering with this place.. WHY??  HW has   one of the  most mellow vibes of any mountain Ive ever been to.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 12:52pm
Just watched this video today.  It made my stomach hurt.
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by ctoma

I disagree with you man.  I think Alta makes these people douchebags.  It creates an environment of superiority and segregation.  People fear what they don't understand and somehow these people have managed to avoid snowboarding since the 80s so they still fear it. 

Personally it's not a matter of the people to me.  I want to snowboard at Alta because there are some sick spots.  Don't care if old man rivers likes it or not.  Will be poaching a lot this year. 

barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 8:44pm
What a bunch of discriminatory assholes.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 8:48pm
I'm stoked on the few people that signed the petition though.  Who cares about what you ride as long as you can have fun doing it and be safe.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by robsta

Will be poaching a lot this year. 

Whats the worse they can do when they catch you on the mtn with a snowboard?

...my guess is fine you? or ban you? lecture? hahaha. Please have a gopro attached to you when you poach Alta.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by mluu003

...my guess is fine you? or ban you? lecture? hahaha. Please have a gopro attached to you when you poach Alta.

When it comes to alta, nothing. It's on National Forest Land. They may be able to not allow you to ride their lifts, but there's nothing they can do to stop you from hiking up and riding back down on your board.

They may try and lecture you, but all you gotta do to that is turn your music up and give them the finger while you walk/ride away.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 3:16am
^ Excellent, wish I lived close enough to poach Alta.

robsta - you need to capture your poaching on video and post it here.
ultra View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
pre-season anticipation

Quote ultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 6:28am
Someone needs to go and make a boarders only resort.
Redheaderr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Big Sky, Montana

Quote Redheaderr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 6:56am
I mean, I disagree for the most part, but I can see why lots of people don't like snowboarders.  There are some really annoying boarders out there, like the groups who ride up the lift then sit to put their bindings on right at the edge of the hill, and they make a wall so nobody can get by until they go.  However, again, it all comes down to newbies on the hill.  You can't hate on snowboarding, simply because most of the bunnies choose that over skis.
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 9:47am
Originally posted by RastaRider

When it comes to alta, nothing. It's on National Forest Land. They may be able to not allow you to ride their lifts, but there's nothing they can do to stop you from hiking up and riding back down on your board.

They may try and lecture you, but all you gotta do to that is turn your music up and give them the finger while you walk/ride away.

I have been emailing an Alta ski resort cook who snowboards and he poaches all the time.  According to him the alta ski patrol doesn't even bother him.  They know they can't keep the public off the national forest land.  I will definitely throw some videos up this season.

robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 11:15am
^Looking forward to it.   ClapClapClapClapClapClap
RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 11:20am
Originally posted by ultra

Someone needs to go and make a boarders only resort. Skiers think they are so superior but they are really just lazy because snowboarding is harder but so much more rewarding and fun.

Uhh not sure where you get that from. Skiing is easier to get the basics down, but much harder to get to the 'expert' level. Whereas snowboarding is harder to learn initially, but once you get the basics the rest comes pretty easy. I wish everyone would realize everyone else is out there to have fun and get over their egos.

Looking forward to the vids robsta!
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 1:20pm

Originally posted by RastaRider

I have been emailing an Alta ski resort cook who snowboards and he poaches all the time.  According to him the alta ski patrol doesn't even bother him.  They know they can't keep the public off the national forest land.  I will definitely throw some videos up this season.

OH! So the "No Snowboarding" signs pretty much mean no riding a lift with the snowboards? You make a good point! National forest land means you can just hike n poach! Hahah, pretty sweet.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
movesmusic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote movesmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2012 at 6:27am
Yeah, I've ridden Alta.. they don't say anything.  They just don't let you ride the lifts.

But you can traverse over Baldy and ride Alta and then cut back into Bird a little lower and still make it back to the Bird lifts.  

As killclimbz mentioned though, there is awesome terrain all over Utah so who cares?  

Haha, Alta is like the little kid that never lets anyone play with his/her toys, so it's fun to poke fun at those cats.
Board to death.
Aos View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Aos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2012 at 1:51pm
I just learned that snowboarders are like cars and allowing cars on a bike path, is the same as allowing snowboarders at Alta.

I'm amazed how strongly the people in the video are against the idea of allowing snowboarders on "their" mountain.

They don't even have valid reasons, and go on to make up stories like the
guy that says "there was a movie with several world class snowboarders that went to Alta
and they came to the conclusion that there are to many areas here where they 
cannot snowboard in."

That is a pretty bold statement. I had no idea people so strongly identified themselves with a winter sport. They even lie to themselves and think because they ski this makes them somehow better than other people. So much ignorance....

Maybe these people are right and Alta should remain an exclusive resort, why not snowboarding only.
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2012 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Aos

I just learned that snowboarders are like cars and allowing cars on a bike path, is the same as allowing snowboarders at Alta.

I'm amazed how strongly the people in the video are against the idea of allowing snowboarders on "their" mountain.

guy that says "there was a movie with several world class snowboarders that went to Alta
cannot snowboard in."

That is a pretty bold statement. I had no idea people so strongly identified themselves with a winter sport. They even lie to themselves and think because they ski this makes them somehow better than other people. So much ignorance....

Maybe these people are right and Alta should remain an exclusive resort, why not snowboarding only.

That would be awesome to see that, and they could cater specifically to snowboarders "needs" (well, wants). My mountain (big boulder park) is at least 80% boarders, it's just the natural ratio here. They design their entire mountain towards snowboarding including the terrain features which are on almost every run. It's a really nice vibe seeing so many boarders in the same place.
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2012 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Skio25

Originally posted by Aos

cannot snowboard in."

That would be awesome to see that, and they could cater specifically to snowboarders "needs" (well, wants). My mountain (big boulder park) is at least 80% boarders, it's just the natural ratio here. They design their entire mountain towards snowboarding including the terrain features which are on almost every run. It's a really nice vibe seeing so many boarders in the same place.

I have no issues with skiers at any of my local resorts.  Why can't we just coexist?
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2012 at 4:37pm

Originally posted by Skio25

Originally posted by Aos

cannot snowboard in."
I have no issues with skiers at any of my local resorts.  Why can't we just coexist?

Most people nowadays, especially kids, rather learn how to snowboard then ski. Even for me, I always thought that snowboarding looked cooler and it's so much much easier to get up after falling than while on skis. It would be cool if there was an all-snowboarders only mountain.
diviesti View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote diviesti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 6:50am
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 7:23am

Because the skiier have a problem with you. They think snowboarders took the "elitist" status away from the slopes. Now, any thug with a board can ruin their mountain. It's the same mentality as private golf contry clubs. They only want people of a certain status to get in because they don't want us regular folks tramping on their grass. Before, if you say you ski, it's like "wow, you're so rich, I'm not worthy". Now, if you say you ski, it's like "oh, and I snowboard on the hill that you didn't want me to be on".
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 10:58am
Originally posted by ultra

Someone needs to go and make a boarders only resort.
How would that be any better for anyone? All it would do is encourage intolerance.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
jamers99 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jamers99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 11:33am
So why don't we just open up a boarding only mt? Sounds way more rad than Alta could ever be.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 11:53am
Originally posted by jamers99

So why don't we just open up a boarding only mt? Sounds way more rad than Alta could ever be.

Probably because none of us having Millions of dollars to buy land to open a resort for only snowboarders. Plus it's a bad business model. If you were a business owner opening a new resort why would you want to limit it yourself to half the market by only letting snowboarders in rather than inviting all.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 12:32pm
^If I were say Jake Burton rich I'd do it.  If you've got enough money that you can say screw half the market wouldn't you?  I know I'd use my money for good in so many ways, but if I was mega rich there'd be a really good chance I'd have a boarders only hill.  Might not be the best or biggest place, but it'd be pimp complete with parks, boarder x course, and some nice steeps that get constant pow.
I'm not mega rich (or even well off, pretty broke actually) and I lose money every winter making snow and putting features in my back yard.  It's all for love of riding and there's no skiers allowedBig smile
Instructor
Instructor

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2012 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by snowj720

^If I were say Jake Burton rich I'd do it.  If you've got enough money that you can say screw half the market wouldn't you?  I know I'd use my money for good in so many ways, but if I was mega rich there'd be a really good chance I'd have a boarders only hill.  Might not be the best or biggest place, but it'd be pimp complete with parks, boarder x course, and some nice steeps that get constant pow.

I'm not mega rich (or even well off, pretty broke actually) and I lose money every winter making snow and putting features in my back yard.  It's all for love of riding and there's no skiers allowedBig smile

You have a point. If you were mega rich and weren't looking to make money off of your investment then I'd probably do it as well. It just most people aren't buying resorts not to make money off of them.
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 3:39am
It just amazes me that people can be so narrow minded when it comes to certain topics/things. Is it not common sense that you'll get dickheads in both snowboarding and skiing? 
Its like saying that you get idiots on west coast but everyone on east coast are perfect. It doesn't matter where you go, you get idiots everywhere... 
If only Queensland had snow...
Oinker View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Oinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2012 at 4:59am
Originally posted by koji3

It just amazes me that people can be so narrow minded when it comes to certain topics/things. Is it not common sense that you'll get dickheads in both snowboarding and skiing? 
Its like saying that you get idiots on west coast but everyone on east coast are perfect. It doesn't matter where you go, you get idiots everywhere... 
True Dat (as the kids used to say) To All Of Dat!!! Thumbs Up
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2012 at 9:25am
having the alta skiers only is all in good fun, creates drama and it invites people to poke fun at them. The obvious is anyone who snowboards.
As a lot of you have said, there's douches whether skier or snowboarder, but looks to be there are a lot of narrow minded people on Alta, A lot of them old and teaching their young the very same thing, discrimination and its okay.

I wanna see that video they're talking about how there were 7 professional boarders who were on the mountain and said that its not fit to snowboard on??
anyone got a link on that?
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2012 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by jhoang6

having the alta skiers only is all in good fun, creates drama and it invites people to poke fun at them. The obvious is anyone who snowboards.
As a lot of you have said, there's douches whether skier or snowboarder, but looks to be there are a lot of narrow minded people on Alta, A lot of them old and teaching their young the very same thing, discrimination and its okay.
I wanna see that video they're talking about how there were 7 professional boarders who were on the mountain and said that its not fit to snowboard on??
anyone got a link on that?

Yeah, I agree about how Alta skiiers should'nt be teaching their kids to discriminate against snowboarders. There should be an end to this segregation.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 2:48pm
Give it up to the triple OG skier with an open mind!!!
ChiTownRon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 5:08pm
Haha, that was a good watch. Didn't know that many skiers were a bunch of d-bags.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by ChiTownRon

Haha, that was a good watch. Didn't know that many skiers were a bunch of d-bags.

It surprised me as well. Haha...probably most of the skiers they talked to there were d-bags.

I always thought skiers were out to hate on snowboarders until I made a bunch of skier friends and now we all ride together.

youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12