2013 Captain's Log (AKA Rider's Log)

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 13>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2013 Captain's Log (AKA Rider's Log)
    Posted: Oct/12/2013 at 4:20am
Cheers guys. 
Have a longer edit but it doesn't want to upload to the net because its too big file wise. 
Love the views over there. Didn't really get to see much of it last trip to NZ because i was at Methven but yer. So spectacular. 

I didn't convert the gopro files properly i think, hence why some are at 720p instead of 1080, although i filmed at 1440p....

Yer I think so. Bungee/bungy was 43m drop and the swing was a 60m drop 300m swing/arc. so massive. This site wont let me upload any more pictures for some reason. Man this forum is broken to bits now... 

If only Queensland had snow...
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2013 at 11:05am
Nice edit koji. Brought back memories of my trip in NZ! It is really cool how the mtns are so close and the view of the lake from each is so amazing. The bungee was so damn gnarly, idk if people can appreciate it without seeing the height. Good times! 
Its not fun unless its sketchy
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2013 at 9:24am
^nice edit
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2013 at 10:42am

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153317912915346&set=vb.742595345&type=3&theater

Hey guys, 
Finally get to post my own video onto this thread. LOL Been a long time coming! Theres not that much snowboarding in it to be honest as I was enjoying it too much to be worrying about filming. 
I went to NZ with a mate in August, hit up Cardrona, Treble cone, Remarks, Coronet, probably 10 days in total. Loved it heaps. I think i've progressed much better this time as well. No where near the likes of you ski bums thou. Tongue

Also did the bungee, worlds largest swing and luging while we were in Queenstown. Great place and oh so beautiful. Recommend going there just for the site. 

**Can't figure out the embedding for 'facebook' videos. sigh. I just be stuffed uploading it onto youtube. 
Link should work for the public thou. :D
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2013 at 11:31am
yep, blind melon.  it's one of phil's favorite bands

and thanks bry.. that's weird though, it's the same thing I have copied but it didn't work when I tried yesterday, but now it is.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2013 at 9:59am
get bent
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2013 at 8:24am
Is that Blind Melon?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2013 at 9:48pm
haha thanks, and yes I'll buy you a beer whenever we end up in the same place

how do you go about embedding now?  it was changed not too long ago and I had it saved, but it stopped working, apparently..
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2013 at 12:53pm
^^^ It always looks like y'alls are having a blast up there.  I'm going to take a shot at embedding that beauty for you here:

You can buy me a beer later.  Thx

-b
get bent
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2013 at 12:51am
I made a little "season edit" of most of phil's clips from the year, some filmed by jerms and dylan as well.  we didn't get to ride with him nearly as much as desired : (

the video embed link is no longer working, so you have to click.  this site sucks dick and alwas changes, so once you figure something out, it stops being the way to do it.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2013 at 2:02pm
I wanted to end up saying "It wasn't so bad" after your buddy is getting slammed but sorry it really is bad. The thing about slo mo is that it should be reserved for something seriously dramatic and none of those bails were so you are left saying jesus can you get to the next one while it sooooo painnnnnnfullllllly drags on. Had to stop after 2 minutes...surprised I made it that far.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2013 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Piranha

amazingly bad edit and not enjoyable.
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2013 at 12:34pm
Guess its different when its your close friends about to eat it and you just see the super slo mo of their oh sh*t faces. I think it all goes really well with the song. He has other edits that have been featured on Mammoth's website where he's obviously not drawing everything out in a slow mo. He only does this for our fails and bails edits. But yeah, just wanted to share. 
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2013 at 10:30am
amazingly bad edit and not enjoyable.  Too much slow motion and too slow slo-mo.  The slo-mo should be used sparingly and, in this case, only when the body is bouncing off the hardpack.   That flickery shit between scenes doesn't belong anywhere, imo
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2013 at 9:28am
My god that is way too much slow motion.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2013 at 8:24am
My buddy finished the fails and bails of our Mammoth season. He really does amazing edits... enjoy! 

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 7:12am
^^^ Sounds great man, let me do some work to shore up my mountaineering skills (and gear) in the next year and we'll tear it up next year.

-b
get bent
killclimbz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote killclimbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2013 at 5:47am
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

Day 43: Quick overnight trip down to tioga pass this weekend with a few bros, camped off the side of the road on 395 just past mono lake (I'm bringing a tent next time, I couldn't get my sleeping bag's face hole small enough to keep out the mosquitoes -- that and an almost-full moon made it kinda hard to sleep) and then hit up a popular area below Mt. Dana on Sunday morning.  This was my first snow trip up there and the terrain is big and aesthetic.  In these conditions the climbing was also perhaps a little beyond my level, but we didn't push it too hard.  (Boot crampons and ice axes are my next purchase, would have been helpful in a few places yesterday).  This is the very bottom of Ellery Bowl on the run out to the parking lot:

Ellery

We hiked up Ellery Bowl, to the Dana plateau area.  It's the "easiest" way up according to the guidebook but the top of the bowl was real steep, I was happy that my skier-friends kicked in steps to scramble up.  Here's a fb shot of me "climbing":

Screwed around up there and looked into some chutes.  This is the top of Cocaine Chute, which is purportedly the easiest way down this area.  Some solo skiier ripped down there, but his dog wouldn't follow him because it was too steep or something.  The dude was down there for like two and a half hours (he said he only wanted to shred part way down but he dropped his ski when he was strapping up and had to retrieve it).  The dog just ran back and forth on the top of the cooley (including a terrible cornice that looked like it was about to go) the entire time.  But it was all cool, we saw them both again at the parking lot:

Coke chute

The stuff off dana plateau was visible from where we camped, it's rad.  From the top they looked like a lot of fun (but scary) and we didn't think we were committed enough for the mandatory hike back out.  We also watched a couple groups shred Solistice couloir.  The picture below is Mt. Dana, with Dana couloir on the left.  You can't see any of this stuff until you get back there a bit.  Solistice is just on the right, not visible here, and looks great.  

Dana

There is an-apparently easy way to hike up to solistice from another parking area, then shred down to the bottom of Ellery either leaving a car or bumming a ride.  I'd probably opt for that next time.    

This was one of the bigger mountaineering-like trips I've done, the visuals out there are so cool.  I was mostly gripped and puckered the whole time but it was worthwhile.  

-b

Brent, I want to come out the next huge spring out there.  California Spring riding, there is none better.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 2:50pm
it's not that I'm out of physical condition at all in terms of strength/stamina/etc, it's just that some days your body doesn't want to cooperate... ie an off day, hah.  it wasn't so bad in retrospect
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by spenser

day 89 yesterday.  split up eaglecrest by myself, mostly for the exercise.  it's been snowing at sea level all week and it's deep up in the mountains.  stormy, windy, dumping snow.... it was like mid january up there. snow was deep and not super wet or anything.  good run down.  it was a little weird riding legit powder again after not riding at all for two weeks, and not having a deep pow run day like that since probably the last time I went splitting a while ago.. or maybe I just didn't have my legs fully under me from sitting around for two weeks.

isn't it crazy how quickly our bodies fall out of condition?  When I do not surf for 10 days it feels like I haven't paddled for 10 years.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 12:46pm
day 89 yesterday.  split up eaglecrest by myself, mostly for the exercise.  it's been snowing at sea level all week and it's deep up in the mountains.  stormy, windy, dumping snow.... it was like mid january up there. snow was deep and not super wet or anything.  good run down.  it was a little weird riding legit powder again after not riding at all for two weeks, and not having a deep pow run day like that since probably the last time I went splitting a while ago.. or maybe I just didn't have my legs fully under me from sitting around for two weeks.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 6:45am
Day 35 and 36.  Rode up at Mammoth with the EL crew.  Nice day out with the snow all slushy.  First day back since I broke myself in mid December.  It felt good to be back...a little too good.

I hurt myself again on Sunday...same knee Cry  Luckily no broken bones it looks like and on crutches for 2 weeks.  For some reason I know a ton of people who hurt themselves this weekend at Mammoth.  Besides myself I know 3 others.  One was in our group and he broke his collar bone.

My blog about snowboarding, vids too! - http://yukitabanana.wordpress.com/

Updated weekly!
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 10:11am
^nice.  People think of the sierra nevada mtns as mellow, relative to the rest of the west (rockies, cascades, etc), but it doesn't surprise me that there's terrain like that.  I freaked out when I first went to Yosemite..."epic" is an understatement 
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 7:11am
Day 43: Quick overnight trip down to tioga pass this weekend with a few bros, camped off the side of the road on 395 just past mono lake (I'm bringing a tent next time, I couldn't get my sleeping bag's face hole small enough to keep out the mosquitoes -- that and an almost-full moon made it kinda hard to sleep) and then hit up a popular area below Mt. Dana on Sunday morning.  This was my first snow trip up there and the terrain is big and aesthetic.  In these conditions the climbing was also perhaps a little beyond my level, but we didn't push it too hard.  (Boot crampons and ice axes are my next purchase, would have been helpful in a few places yesterday).  This is the very bottom of Ellery Bowl on the run out to the parking lot:

Ellery

We hiked up Ellery Bowl, to the Dana plateau area.  It's the "easiest" way up according to the guidebook but the top of the bowl was real steep, I was happy that my skier-friends kicked in steps to scramble up.  Here's a fb shot of me "climbing":

Screwed around up there and looked into some chutes.  This is the top of Cocaine Chute, which is purportedly the easiest way down this area.  Some solo skiier ripped down there, but his dog wouldn't follow him because it was too steep or something.  The dude was down there for like two and a half hours (he said he only wanted to shred part way down but he dropped his ski when he was strapping up and had to retrieve it).  The dog just ran back and forth on the top of the cooley (including a terrible cornice that looked like it was about to go) the entire time.  But it was all cool, we saw them both again at the parking lot:

Coke chute

The stuff off dana plateau was visible from where we camped, it's rad.  From the top they looked like a lot of fun (but scary) and we didn't think we were committed enough for the mandatory hike back out.  We also watched a couple groups shred Solistice couloir.  The picture below is Mt. Dana, with Dana couloir on the left.  You can't see any of this stuff until you get back there a bit.  Solistice is just on the right, not visible here, and looks great.  

Dana

There is an-apparently easy way to hike up to solistice from another parking area, then shred down to the bottom of Ellery either leaving a car or bumming a ride.  I'd probably opt for that next time.    

This was one of the bigger mountaineering-like trips I've done, the visuals out there are so cool.  I was mostly gripped and puckered the whole time but it was worthwhile.  

-b

get bent
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2013 at 9:06am
there's always lots of snow that sticks around well through may and into june, but as far as actually snowing this late, it varies every year.  today makes the 4th or 5th day it's been snowing at sea level.. woke up to more this morning.  it's gotta be snorkel deep up there...

last year we had a late bit of snow but mostly just up higher.. got about two feet around this time.  this year, this is out of the ordinary, but still not too surprising I guess
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2013 at 6:34pm
^^Not sure if riding Pow or hiking up mountain... LOL But damn that is awesome. Does season usually go for that long in AK?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2013 at 3:23pm
um.......... this was today at eaglecrest (not my picture).  we got a bunch of snow even at sea level and it has pretty much been snowing down to sea level for 2-3 days.  I heard reports of the snow being 2ft and deeper in wind deposited areas, but this is just.... damn

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 6:42am
Nice little day 42 yesterday, closing day for Mt. Rose.  Seemed like summer, great spring conditions combined with the best slide parking lot tailgate I've ever seen -- kinda sunburned today.  Here's erin in the bottom part of el cap, the chutes corned up real nice

Moose

-b
get bent
bwayne413 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote bwayne413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 8:09pm
Damn so jelly of some of the pics and the amount of days some of you have gone this year. I only got 22 on hill this year
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 5:18pm
haha that's our friend carlton.  he destroyed the saucer on impact.. so rad.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 5:04pm
The crash where the guy ended up on his back and then popped back up was hilarious...and the guy holding the red sled that flopped was funny as sh!t as well.

That snowboarder did us proud.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 1:51pm
Day 41:

Quickie solo sesh this afternoon at Mt. Rose following a hearing in south lake tahoe, worked out nicely.  I went "suit to shred" very efficiently.  Spent a couple hours up there before heading back to the office.  They were claiming six inches, and I think they actually got all of that and maybe more.  And you're not usually going to hear me complaining about snow being too light, but that was the case here.  It came in so cold that it was a true dust on crust situation and the super-light powder had almost no cushion to it.  If it keeps snowing though -- and it might -- it could be very nice with a couple more inches on it.  Here's a selfie:

Solo ahred

-b
get bent
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 2:48am
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 2:35am
screenshots from slush cup on sunday.  so many good skier falls.  video will be done in a minute.

the only snowboarder to make it across

AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 5:37pm
day 14: last day of the season for me...  flew solo again, great day! It was on and off snowing all day, The top of the mountain was hard pack/ice no slush there. got down towards the middle and it turned into slush great fun in the slush! Super smooth and had fun popping off the side hits into the creamy stuff. Im actually upset theyre calling it quits so early... they were 100% open, and had great coverage and the base was at least a foot deep, and no poop stains anywhere... they could have easily gotten it another 2 weeks... but they decided to quit... such a shame.... heres to a great season of progression!
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 4:25pm
88, parka. bluebird, slushy, and slush cup was today.  not as long as last year, but they had a 5 foot drop off a little lip into the 130ft long pond, so there were some pretty awesome crashes.  I filmed it all and am going to put together another highlight video later.

dylan didn't make it across, but he sure looked good.  shaved his hair into a mullet and got rid of everything but the stache

here is the video from last year

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 7:22am
I would like to ride that huge board on a pow day, that looks like a lot of fun.  bad ass

-b
get bent
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2013 at 5:38pm
we've had less sunny days this year than average, I'd say, but yeah we've had a handful this past month

the part in the shadow is almost straight up and down and that cornice is enormous. super short run before it bottoms out though, not really something people ride.  you either traverse underneath, or get up on the ridge and cross over that.  either way, further to the left is where it starts to get ridden
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2013 at 5:08pm
^don't think we've seen so many bluebird days from you as you've posted this year

anyway, why doesn't that peak in the background of the first pic have any tracks on it?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2013 at 2:35pm
day 87.  reported 11" new snow since the last day they were open.. we had blower pow in the morning and spring laps by afternoon.  fun day.

dylan rode haden's 195 nitro swallowtail.  it looked like it charged easy and carved like wild.

screenshot and a sequence

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2013 at 12:21pm
^^^ Thanks shwazy, the good vibes did it for us!  I just completed a solo mission at Mt. Rose for Day 40, on my custom v-rocker.  (I think this is next year's rock board, considering a custom 160 FV or some other AMF for my new "everyday" board . . . )  Corned up real nice, but was super windy and when I went into the lodge to get a chili and a beer, apparently they put the lift on wind hold.  So only got in 5-6 runs, now I'm watching golf!

-b
get bent
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 5:54am
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

Thanks Shwazy but not likely, if there's any precipitation at this point I think it will be rain.  Day 36 today, again with Erin at WH20 ski hill.  It's really a great place.  We took the splitters and did a sidecountry lap that got us way up above everything, and from up there it's easy to see how unbelievable the west Kootenays are and how they can have so many bc operations out there.  Fun resort/sidecountry day on the splitboards (never took off my trucker hat or even thought about putting on a jacket), and the WH20 bar/food scene was awesome for lunch both days.  Heading out to baldface tomorrow, I'm hoping they have some secret stashes up their sleeves but we'll see . . . .

-b
Looks like that snow came after all ! :)
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2013 at 7:19am
Day 37 this weekend at Mammoth. Haven't hit park so it was awesome to lap it with friends and enjoy the nice spring conditions. Here's a solo top to bottom run. I got to try out a couple of new tricks so pretty stoked to get back out there this weekend. 

Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 8:57pm
Nice!! 
I'm super jealous! PNW was warm and slushy every day I was out there. 
Stevens Pass was awesome though! Lots of Sidecountry potential....
Because it was so warm there were lots of slides on most south facing non controlled faces. 
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 5:34pm
True.  Nonetheless, i TOTALLY would have done it, except it was strictly prohibido.  Wink

-b
get bent
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 3:50pm
everything is gnarlier in person, especially when it comes to natural terrain oriented stuff.  true justice has never been done for any snowboarding via photo or video, unfortunately
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 3:45pm
cool.  Did you drop off any of those ultra natural jumps? ( or where they even gnarlier in person?)
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 10:57am
super radical
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 10:48am
Awesome posts, Bry. Looks like a hell of a trip. I'd love to have a snowboarding wife I could convince to take anniversary trips like this with. We always seem to end up drinking cocktails on the beach in some tropical paradise instead. (Not that those vacations are *bad* mind you)
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2013 at 10:21am
So on the second day, it was actually puking outside, which was a pleasant surprise.

snow crew

It was heavy snow, but it was good up high and we were all stoked about it.  I upgraded to 163 Juice Wagon and it was a great day all around.  Like scorer said (and I didn't put it together that they were the same guides until I saw your post) our guides were unbelievably cool and did a great job showing us the goods.  Apparently they were not concerned about saving anything since we were the last crew out there and hey let us tear up the entire place. It got sticky at the hard deck but we lapped the high stuff.  

That night Matt the Alien gave us an intimate dj set, he was fun to party with but we never got to ride together.  Hopefully I can look him up in whistler some day.  

It continued snowing hard all night and the last day we woke up to an unbelievable pow day.  Finally got to ride our real pow decks and erin was on her FishLTD and I got out the hovercraft for only the second time this year.  Apparently we left the windows open on our original cat (I blame that on the homies) and it was filled with snow so they set up another for us:

Last cat outta here!

They flew in the Canada Burton rep, a guy named Jeff, to tend bar at the party and he spent the day riding with us, another great addition to the group.  JP and one of the homey's showed up in a sled and took 4 or five pow runs with us too, that was cool.  It was still sticky and wet under the hard deck but great up high, if there are any glamour shots from the photo guy I'll share them on here at some point.  Here's one I took from the top near the supernatural course:

supernatural features

Not much else to say except great trip.  I don't know if I'm technically a cat skiier -- splitting is probably more up my alley -- but Baldface is a wonderful operation geared toward snowboarders.  It was unique to have guides on boards, and our entire cat was on boards, and the terrain has a "snowboard" feel to it with bumps and jumps and rollers and easy runouts that I think probably separates Baldface as an entity.  Plus the connection they have with board companies and riders, and snowboard history, is cool.  Anyway, back to work

-b

get bent
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>