2013 Captain's Log (AKA Rider's Log)

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 13>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2013 Captain's Log (AKA Rider's Log)
    Posted: Sep/30/2012 at 12:27pm
for those that still don't get it, this is a communal thread for posting your days on snow during the season.  pictures and video strongly encouraged!

starting it now.  why?  well because......

not my picture, but... snow coming down real low now.  this lake is more or less at sea level (52ft) and that mountain is 4,200ft.. you do the visual math.  i usually take a picture of these mountains from outside my work, but nabbed this one from a friend's facebook.

i say we are on snow in less than a month.  a few years ago, it was only 11 days from now...

Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2012 at 2:49pm
It's still going to be a while on the other side of the America's. I'm guessing opening will be november 26th which is a little optimistic. It has been a lot wetter and colder of a fall this year than last though that's for sure. Hopefully it stays that way into winter.  Heavy rainfall at least 3 or 4 times a week and it hailed dime size hail in my area today which is the closest thing to snow I've seen in months.
RastaRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RastaRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2012 at 3:00pm
Heck yea! Can't wait.. Should be on snow in a couple - a few weeks from now. Granted it'll just be mostly man made and on greens and maybe a blue.. Still gonna be great to be back to sliding down the mtn.
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2012 at 6:52pm
This is a pic taken at Brighton Tuesday morning..  The snow is gone now but it will probably only be a few more weeks before we start doing some preseason stuff.  Can't wait!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2012 at 7:37pm
took this before leaving work.  same mountain on the right, with the mendenhall towers on the left.

koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2012 at 9:25pm
If you were real keen would it be possible to hike the mountain to ride up there? Or still too less snow? 
Right side of that pic looks pretty good. 
If only Queensland had snow...
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2012 at 9:47pm
that open field has snow all year, but what this fresh snow is on top of is what matters.  in that area, it would more or less be riding a glacier with a thin layer of fresh on top, and that zone is ultra steep.  my dad did mountaineering there, they practiced sliding head first on their backs with nothing but an ice axe and had to stop themselves.

i've been intrigued to ride that area for years but it's a heli ride or a hell of a split/hike to get there.  totally and completely doable though.  i mean, the jagged peaks to the left are called the mendenhall towers, which are famous in big mountain snowboarding and skiing.  kind of funny it's something i see every single day.. maybe one day i will do it.  but that's some tom burt shit, as in....... you better be a genius in terms of mountains and navigating intense terrain.  and i also say that because tom is one of the few to have ridden it.
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 9:22pm
just got back from a trip to southeast asia and it was hot, humid and just chilled near beaches. I come home to find this wonderful thread starting! Oh man, can't wait to scrape the boards! 
Its not fun unless its sketchy
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 10:29pm
over at snowjapan they have the emergency telephone box watch every year.

m00m
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 2:04am
Jesus, that mountaineering thing sounds like a once in a life time experience. It'd be scary as shtook doing it, even if it still is for practice. 

Man, i wish i lived/grew up near snow. Would then know the basics of back country boarding. 
If only Queensland had snow...
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 4:05pm
so uh... i had a lot of fun today.  best first-day i've had in october.  8-10 inches up top, met up with some friends who had built a minishred on the ptarmigan off ramp, and messed around on some other stuff.  rode my morrow 135 from the mid 90's since it's the only rock-worthy board i have.  pretty fun!  and it was a beautiful day. supposed to be like this all week, so...

donovan and mark.  i've got a bunch more but it will take a bit to finish them.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 6:25pm
Mark on the way up

Paul

Don

mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 9:09pm
Wow, sick pictures man! You have a good photographer!
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 9:15pm
i am the photographer... so thank you! haha.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 9:18pm
one more.. not my favorite on my part, but i like the style.  this dude is a skier, and an incredibly talented one at that.  he hopped on a board about two years ago a couple times, and rode about half the time on a board last year.  he is better than most people i know and looks like he's been riding for years.. just one of those weird people that's good at everything.

blasting a method (missing the grab) in 8" of snow

ChiTownRon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 11:14pm
Awesome. Great pictures for sure. Did you use a digital cam or a dslr?
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 11:24pm
When he lands the grab in methods they must look insane. Looks like hes using no effort, just a stroll through the park.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2012 at 11:35pm
dslr for the fisheye shots.  the missed grab was on my powershot.

here's a differen't one.  not that stoked on it either, but oh well.

namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 3:48am
You guys are pretty daring to hit the mountain with so little snow Looks like it was worth it though. Hope the boards held up nicely!
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 5:57am
sweet pictures spenser...keep them rolling...definitely stoking the fire!
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2012 at 1:16pm
Nice Spenser! These pix are getting me so pumped!!! Such clean grabs!
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2012 at 3:54pm
got front page of the outdoor section in the local paper, with a highlight on the overall front page too... sweet.

jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2012 at 11:41am
lol that's awesome
did they pay you for using your footage?
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2012 at 11:50am
Originally posted by spenser

got front page of the outdoor section in the local paper, with a highlight on the overall front page too... sweet.

Wow you guys are local celebrities!  That's pretty rad to get like a quarter of the lead page for the Outdoor section.

Hoping to get my first day/night soon too.

p.s. man that guy can TWEAK!
ChiTownRon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2012 at 12:17pm
That's pretty rad you got your picture in the local paper. How did that come about though? Did you submit your picture to them or do you know someone that works at the paper?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2012 at 12:53pm
haha it's a small town, we're not celebrities at all.  i mean i guess we are well known in the local snow community, me because i'm 1 of the 2 dudes running the local shop and i do video/photo stuff all year long, and them because they're bad larry! the dude holding the board under the guy jumping him is my good friend mark who was the main guy behind the bad larry movies.  yearly snow videos they were putting out for about 4-5 seasons, and they were really good.

i send stuff to the paper pretty regularly.  i guess they were stoked on this one cause it's early season and everyone is getting the snow itch.

Originally posted by jhoang6

lol that's awesome
did they pay you for using your footage?
footage? the paper?  no, it's just a submission, not a photographer job.  although i might be working with eaglecrest (the ski area) in a photojournalism-ish position.

if anyone cares, here is one of their videos.  i think this was their 08/09 release.  it's a mix of juneau people and his montana friends, filmed all over the US.

| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2012 at 1:09pm
Juneau has a newspaper!  Nice press Spenser, love it.  I finally got out on snow today after hearing about amazing pre-season powder all week but being stuck in the office and then Las Vegas hell, here is a cell-phone shot of what is left at Sugar Bowl

Sugar bowl 5

Was actually a nice morning, not too many people up there and we had a good time hiking and screwing around

-b

get bent
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2012 at 6:17pm
Finally got my first day in. Felt amazing just to be on the snow again!

youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2012 at 7:59pm
people everywhere!
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2012 at 8:40pm
Day one at Brighton.  Hope they open soon.

My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
BunnySloper View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Love my new Bern helmet!

Quote BunnySloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2012 at 8:59pm
I'm SO jealeous of you people!!!!
In Pacific NW for part of the 2012/2013 Season.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2012 at 7:49am
love getting abck on the snow too but from 
mluu pict looks way overcrowded... which is usually how it goes int he begining
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2012 at 9:34am
Originally posted by keljai

love getting abck on the snow too but from 
mluu pict looks way overcrowded... which is usually how it goes int he begining

Oh it WAS overcrowded. Pre-season conditions in October...what more can you ask for?

Yeah..2 trails open...1 lift open...and massive crowds. Literally more than 50 guys in that tiny terrain park with 6 features.

Either way, it was nice to get some turns and hit some jibs. Good day nonetheless. Big smile
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
MurphyMasta View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote MurphyMasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2012 at 5:44pm
Praise the snow God! I am riding at a resort on wednesday in NORTH CAROLINA!!!! WOOOOHOOO!!!!!! THank you frankenstorm
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 3:59pm

footage? the paper?  no, it's just a submission, not a photographer job.  although i might be working with eaglecrest (the ski area) in a photojournalism-ish position.

Yeah i mean the photo you sent to the newspaper, if you got paid for it.
Generally people will get paid for their photos used in publications.

So many people out riding alrdy wow.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by jhoang6

Yeah i mean the photo you sent to the newspaper, if you got paid for it.
Generally people will get paid for their photos used in publications.
So many people out riding alrdy wow.

Wait...you can get paid for taking pics and sending them to newspapers?! That's so cool, easy money :)

I'm so jealous of the people who get to go snowboarding already. I have to wait until winter to get to ride.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 6:55pm
mid 20's at sea level with snow in the mountains.. pretty sure it's winter here
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2012 at 7:06pm
Caught my first view of white mountains over hakuba way today. Got a few more days of it, but then the temps rocket back up for the end of teh weekend. :( Still got a month and a half or so to go before nagano starts really getting some snow (barring an awesome storm front in time for the long weekend around the 23rd). Good to be in the very last days of october though. Almost there. :) 
m00m
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 11:57am
first snow at sea level today!

jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 3:19pm
Yeah you can get paid for sending in photos to newspapers, but in the case with spenser, they don't.
nice picture, getting me stoked for the snow to come!! all I'm getting is rain! Damn SANDY
dpboarder98 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote dpboarder98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 3:52pm
First day of the season is tomorrow at Cataloochee in North Carolina. I was really hoping to make it up there opening day, but thanks to school I can't go until Saturday. Its been in the 30's and 40's all week, and has been snowing on and off at my house.

EDIT: Didn't see Murphy's post there. Whoops
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 4:56pm
Murph - are you going to Cat or Sugar????

Didn't get to ride anything, and way the heck too windy to hike anything, but drove up to Wolf Ridge today. Had the day off, couldn't trade it for tomorrow to be able to go to Cataloochee instead, but this was pretty sweet and provided for some massive STOKAGE for when I can hit the hills finally!

The last reported snowfall amount at Wolf earlier today that I saw was 6"...

(I have a weekday/night pass for Wolf and Cat both....plan on being up here plenty!)

NICE drift action!

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 5:06pm
appreciate the enthusiasm (and the pics), but that seems like an awful long drive just to look at a ski lift. With the ice and wind, how long did it take you to drive up there? 
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 7:33am
Carolina is going off!  Wish Tahoe would receive a frankenstorm . . . .
October was kinda awesome though, but I only got out once.  Here is a motherlode of sick pics from Seth Lightcap -- dang!

-b

get bent
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 8:35am
wow, that's good pre-season tahoe.

the Appalachian mtns are also getting a ton of wind with their pow, so I don't know how fun that is.  They didn't have any base to start with and now all the snow is getting blown into the trees...trees that look too tight to ride in, but idk. 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2012 at 6:14pm
day 2 with jeremy and the rest of the house.  i went almost to the top after they headed down with our dog who cut her paw.. not worth it in the end, but oh well.  there was about 4" more snow overall than last time, but it has been really windy this week and a lot of sections of the road were blown almost clear.. ice and rocks.  annoying on the ride down, but the good sections felt real nice.  got a couple slashers and base gouges.

noe and jerms on the way up

myself

jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 2:31pm
^  at first glance i  thought you guys were walking up a roadway, then noticed the chairlifts.
looks like a LONG trek, how many times did u hike up that thing?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 2:44pm
it is a road.  service road for their work vehicles in the offseason.  we only hike once and it takes about an hour and a half, but when there is more snow and we are on our splitboards, we'll start lapping it.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 8:53am
That's what you call dedication! that's the amount of time it takes for me to get to any hill driving! lol
probably a good 5min+ ride back down then
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 9:23am
it's about 5 minutes, yeah.  not really dedication, everyone does it.  or maybe i'm just used to this being the norm, i dunno, hah.

jeremy got a photo from that day in the paper.. so far, both my days this year have ended up published haha.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>