Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1234 13>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2013 Captain's Log (AKA Rider's Log)
    Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 9:37am
Aww poor dog, what did it cut its paw on?
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 9:59am
Preseason pow turns in West Va today.

julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 10:02am
So Much Powder. I may need to change my shorts. Thanks for sharing such a sweet pic from today highway12south!
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

a rock most likely.  she does it a few times a year, which makes sense since she gets to play outside in various ways on almost a daily basis.  since we got her she has gained a lot of muscle and is probably the most ripped female dog i've ever seen, and one of the most ripped dogs i've ever seen period.  when she stretches, you can see a lot of definition all over her body.  pretty rad.  anyway, i got side tracked...
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 10:09am
Originally posted by highway12south

that right there, is a picture of what awesomeness is.  well done!
-zakk

letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 10:34am
Originally posted by spenser

Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

a rock most likely.  she does it a few times a year, which makes sense since she gets to play outside in various ways on almost a daily basis.  since we got her she has gained a lot of muscle and is probably the most ripped female dog i've ever seen, and one of the most ripped dogs i've ever seen period.  when she stretches, you can see a lot of definition all over her body.  pretty rad.  anyway, i got side tracked...

When we ride in the back country one of the guys I go with brings his dog.  She use to get the occasional cut but a few years ago she got a slice from her paw up to the elbow and it required stitches.  The vet recommended some boots for her and he got some and she hasn't had a cut since.  
"Sign up for the Daily give away at Thrive. http://www.thrivesnowboards.com/rp/66964"
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 10:48am
i think they have booties for her, but it messes with her snow traction.  after it snows a little more we won't have to worry about it.  she just gets too excited about winter sometimes, haha.
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 10:51am
Originally posted by zakk

that right there, is a picture of what awesomeness is.  well done!

I've been wanting to see something like this after Sandy dumped in WV. Dude. SO. DEEP. You must have had a blast, thanks for sharing. 
Its not fun unless its sketchy
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 11:22am
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 11:32am

Looks like someone is officially a local hero.  Front page of the newspaper.  Well done.  
"Sign up for the Daily give away at Thrive. http://www.thrivesnowboards.com/rp/66964"
Commissar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 11:47am
This is nuts that you guys are on the mountains already.  It is still in the 60's here in Iowa.  Not complaining though, nothing worth going to out here for boarding.

Hope to see some great shots of JH in here, as that is my boarding destination end of February.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 11:49am
Originally posted by letourneau41

[QUOTE=spenser]/QUOTE]

Looks like someone is officially a local hero.  Front page of the newspaper.  Well done.  
haha if i'm a local hero it's not for being in the paper, but thanks
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 12:27pm
 11/02 /12 In West Va It ended up going bluebird midday today. It was amazing . Couple really good runs before it started baking.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 12:30pm
awesome.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 12:30pm

Originally posted by letourneau41

[QUOTE=spenser]/QUOTE]

haha if i'm a local hero it's not for being in the paper, but thanks

You had better be careful Spenser, even with little snowpack avalanches can still occur.
Commissar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Commissar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 12:38pm

11/02 /12 In West Va It ended up going bluebird midday today. It was amazing . Couple really good runs before it started baking.

Are you the only one on the mountain?  There aren't even any other tracks. 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 12:48pm
early season before resorts open is usually like that
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 12:53pm
Yeah, Snowshoe isn't open yet. Mr. Highway earned those turns!
Thanks for postin those up man. Brought the stoke to this kid in Ohio....
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2012 at 3:45pm
Nice pow turns hwy12, looks like a fun day in WV.  I hit up sugar bowl again yesterday solo on the way to our firm retreat in Squaw (which actually looked better than sugar bowl but oh well).  Clouds and fog.  Wet and sloppy, we need a real storm before I'm going to get out again I think.

The sun came out for a minute a couple times, but I didn't have the camera out.  There were some OK turns at the top of mount lincoln.

Nov1 turns

-b
get bent
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2012 at 9:29am
@spenser Avalanche alert! newpaper warning

Those are some nice shots hwy12, I might get lucky and get out to snowshoe this season.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2012 at 2:22pm
Yea , no chairs are turning yet  in the areas that got hit hardest by the storm 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2012 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by jhoang6

haha, can't tell if you guys are joking or taking it seriously. there's not enough snow at eaglecrest to slide at all, and even if it did, it would be like your friend dumping a shovel's worth of snow around your ankles.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2012 at 3:34pm
also just got back from a jib sesh up there.  there's a really nice big area of full coverage and some friends brought a couple rails up last night.  had about 10 people up there.  will have photos and a video edit later.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2012 at 3:46pm
TOtally serious, your newspaper says there's still a chance avalanches can occur, even with the little amounts of snow. /s

like really?
but seriously you've gone through the training before right.
mommehK View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote mommehK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2012 at 4:09pm
Spens - the paper put in there "even with little snowpack, avalanches can still occur"...like y'all were doing something dangerous. LOL

Today -- WAS THE DAY!

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2012 at 4:23pm
yes, and there is literally 5-8" on top of the ground.  it's not going to move.

anyway, here is a teaser screenshot from some of the footage from earlier.  sam, method backflip.  first try, rode away without flinching.  jealous.

jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2012 at 5:37pm
^Shocked
holy... thats sweet. I'mma try to learn how to do methods this season looks so cool
and so jealous! the snow, the skills. hahah
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2012 at 11:39pm
couple more while i'm bored.

first hit on the jump before the method flip which was 2nd hit

jarrett eating shit

sam, 270 lip as he hit the rail.

shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
  Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2012 at 6:13am

nice!
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
  Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2012 at 6:16am

couple more while i'm bored.

first hit on the jump before the method flip which was 2nd hit

jarrett eating shit

sam, 270 lip as he hit the rail.

holy crap I dont think I have seen a photo of a board bending that much.
rideclaps802 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote rideclaps802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2012 at 6:27am
How is that board not snapped in half. thats crazy
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2012 at 6:43am
Those are nice photo's, great capture on the 270 lip right as he touches down on the rail.. insane how much the board flexes. makes me wonder how many times a board can sustain that amount of punishment or awesomeness
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2012 at 7:57am
it's really not flexed that much (and it's a regular cambered board in the first place too), it's just a sharper flex point over the rail.  rome artifact... built for jibbin'.  i'm surprised too cause it's been his jib board for 4 years, granted we don't do rails much up here.
Duneluder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Duneluder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2012 at 7:43pm
Awesome pictures everyone! I can't believe people are already riding! I'm super jealous...

I think we have at least a month here in WA/ID but we'll see...

Daily snow dances will need to happen

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2012 at 10:21pm
video from yesterday.  there's a lot of skiing but there's solid boarding as well.  tons of skiers eating shit too.. bail section at the end.  fun day.

robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 12:53pm

Originally posted by jhoang6

haha, can't tell if you guys are joking or taking it seriously. there's not enough snow at eaglecrest to slide at all, and even if it did, it would be like your friend dumping a shovel's worth of snow around your ankles.

Joking.  Trying to be sarcastic & funny, but you know what's funny about this typing thing...

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 1:00pm
fail on my part!
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 1:09pm
It's all good.  I figure you guys have been hiking that area for a long long time and so prolly feel real comfortable with being there without ski patrol assist.
I'm guessing you guys don't use beacon shovel probe etc when you're there right?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 1:41pm
not at this time, no.  there is literally no more than 6" anymore (windy week and it warmed up a bit) besides the snow patch in my most recent video.  if you could come see things in person you'd laugh at the idea of avy danger, haha.

later during preseason when it gets deep, we do wear them just in case, but it's still not the same risk as later in the year in a true backcountry spot where you definitely need the full safety setup.  i have been told by people that it worries them when i say things like that, but again, if they were here in person they would go "oh... duh.. you're right"

then again i could be completely wrong and talking out of my ass.  i would just be blown away if any sort of slide actually happened with these conditions, let alone a dangerous one.  there's not enough snow to move on the slopes at eaglecrest.  all the trees, bushes, logs, stumps, and other stuff holds it in place.  picture a briar patch that's tough to even walk through.  if it were on a perfectly smooth slope, maybe something could happen.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 3:01pm
not flexed that much? then I wonder what's considered flexed to the max without it snapping on you!
I'm always afraid of my board snapping.. don't wanna lose my hundreds of $.. it would be so sad.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2012 at 3:12pm
i guess i am just too familiar with fisheye.  it exaggerates even that aspect a little bit.  yes it is quite bent though, but it's nothing crazy.  soft board, cambered (so it's already bent that way), and it's just the split second at the most flexed point as he hit the rail.  if we were able to watch our boards as we rode in slowmo from a high speed camera, we would be surprised at how much they are actually flexing around.  it's almost impossible to see in real time.
nalhcal View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote nalhcal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 3:19pm

Looks amazing
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 6:21pm

Cannon Mountain in New Hampshire Early this week. Its gonna be a good year! Might get out next weekend.
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2012 at 6:24pm

i guess i am just too familiar with fisheye.  it exaggerates even that aspect a little bit.  yes it is quite bent though, but it's nothing crazy.  soft board, cambered (so it's already bent that way), and it's just the split second at the most flexed point as he hit the rail.  if we were able to watch our boards as we rode in slowmo from a high speed camera, we would be surprised at how much they are actually flexing around.  it's almost impossible to see in real time.

OoOh now that you mention it... I'd love to see some video footage of some slow mo, super high speed cam of that happening and of different boards too not just the soft flexy stuff.

whoa! wth happened there? snow's covering EVERYTHING even sideways.. totally whited out!
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2012 at 1:22pm
Finally some powder at Keystone, CO! Will post pix soon!
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 7:09pm
Some good old fashion Utah Pow!

My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2012 at 9:56pm
day 3 here.  hiked up with a couple friends and met up with a few more late.  i just went up with sam to shoot rather than to ride, but i greatly underestimated the amount of snow there would be.  so sick up there!  if the snow keeps up this week, it should be splitting time soon.  anyway, they sessioned the standard wallride/roof jib that's nice and burly during preseason.

sam on the way up

most of the crew up top, posting up above the feature of the day

brian.  pretty sure it was january up there.

my view, posted up below the jib shack

sam on top

i didn't really get much that i was stoked on, but i tried out some sequences with my DSLR and gopro.  none of them worked out, for various reasons, but here's a frame from sam's 180 tree tap off the roof

back in the cover of the eagle's nest (little lodge at the top), i found the perfect spot to shoot from, out of the wind and snow, where i hung out for a while.  again, didn't get anything i was really stoked on, which was a small bummer, but oh well.  here's a method tree tap from sam.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 4:44pm
day 4.  rode my old fish this time and glad i did.  full pow run from top to bottom and it felt soooooooooooooo good!  with the low coverage, it makes every bush an obstacle and every uneven part of the terrain into pillows and all kinds of fun stuff.  pointed it through the brush.. it was sort of like a video game, dodging shit in a racing game.

aly was the champ of the day.. she wore herself out about half way into the hike cause she loves snow so damn much and is always running up and down, and then she blasted down the pow run like a boss.  what a dog.

jeremy and i both ran our gopros so i will edit some clips together later, but here are photos for now

aly was very excited on the way up

arrival

jerms setting up

jerms, dylan, and aly

first avy of the year

aly was all tuckered out.. "dad, are we there yet?"

looking back up at the top half of our main line.  sooo fun.

aly ran to jerms after his run

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 6:03pm
^aww - scoodgie boodgie

looks like things are setting up nice there.  My local is supposed to get snow this weekend, but not looking anything as good as eaglecrest is right now
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 7:44pm

Opening weekend at Mammoth. Got pleasantly surprised by some pow stashes. Great first trip of the season! 
Its not fun unless its sketchy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>