2013 Captain's Log (AKA Rider's Log)

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <12345 13>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2013 Captain's Log (AKA Rider's Log)
    Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 10:11pm
Pretty sweet picture on Saturday @ Keystone from those awesome EpicMix guys!

youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by spenser

day 4.  rode my old fish this time and glad i did.  full pow run from top to bottom and it felt soooooooooooooo good!  with the low coverage, it makes every bush an obstacle and every uneven part of the terrain into pillows and all kinds of fun stuff.  pointed it through the brush.. it was sort of like a video game, dodging shit in a racing game.

aly was the champ of the day.. she wore herself out about half way into the hike cause she loves snow so damn much and is always running up and down, and then she blasted down the pow run like a boss.  what a dog.

jeremy and i both ran our gopros so i will edit some clips together later, but here are photos for now

aly was very excited on the way up

arrival

jerms setting up

jerms, dylan, and aly

first avy of the year

aly was all tuckered out.. "dad, are we there yet?"

looking back up at the top half of our main line.  sooo fun.

aly ran to jerms after his run

additional screenshot.. aly shreds pow!

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2012 at 10:25pm
little video from today too.  i tried to cut clips tight and not leave excess, since first person gopro footage gets boring easily.

Jigkidd View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
TWISTER!

Quote Jigkidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2012 at 12:35am
Originally posted by mluu003

Are Epic Mix guys just people that stand around and take pics of you before your run
just like at a theme park or something of that sort?
Long hair don't care!
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2012 at 4:16am
^ To answer your question, yes, that's what the bright green jacket Epic Mix guys do... take photos that are available for purchase through your Epic Mix account.
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2012 at 4:39am

little video from today too.  i tried to cut clips tight and not leave excess, since first person gopro footage gets boring easily.

The full screen link wouldn't work for me as is, here it is working...

http://www.vimeo.com/53487992

Looks like another rad AKlivin time man. Question. All those little pines sticking out in the run, how tall are those guys? Are they just tiny little seedlings, or are they around the 3-4 foot range?

Non the less, bringing the stoke to an Ohio boy and his wife, so thank you!LOL Already starting to plan our trip to AK next season!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2012 at 8:21am
3-4 footers.  hard to say exactly how much snow is up there but it's around a couple feet or so at the top, and tapers down as you get to the bottom.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2012 at 8:24am
Poder!  I love snowboarding with dogs, perhaps my favorite thing. 

-b
get bent
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2012 at 9:35am
yes!  it's great.  and she loves snow like crazy.  as pooped as she was by the time we got to the top, she ripped a nice pow line down.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2012 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Jigkidd

Originally posted by mluu003

Are Epic Mix guys just people that stand around and take pics of you before your run
just like at a theme park or something of that sort?

Yeah that's about it.  Had a lot of fun with the green guys last year but I traded in my epic pass so I think I may miss the party shots this year . . .

-b
get bent
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2012 at 2:16pm
day 5, first day splitting.  maybe around 8" of blower on the whole mountain.  upper 1/3 was pretty good under that but lower down you felt a little crunch from the wet dump followed by cold temps earlier this week.

had to get a shot of the beauty when i go to the top.  almost slid down on accident... woops.  i have a couple more shots that i will post shortly.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2012 at 5:07pm
here are the rest.

first day splitting this season

stoked!

sam and max dropped from the lift station.. sam, method

max

glen's first run of the year, tried a fronty off a little bump

max hit what they call 007 on the way down

mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2012 at 8:02pm
^^OMG SO MUCH POWDER!! insanely jealous.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
gsoccer04 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote gsoccer04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2012 at 8:12pm
heres to hoping i can get some real snow east this year.. not even going to ask the snow gods for something as beautiful as this powder.. great stuff guys
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2012 at 8:17pm
it's not really that much snow, haha.  thank you though, glad to get some winter stoke rolling.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2012 at 8:35pm

Got a bunch of runs in at Northstar today. Up top it was snowing, but mid-mountain was sleet and a bit slushy.

L-R The English Butler, Giftedhands, Julius77
It was really wet, but a great day of riding. Here's hoping for lots of snow this winter!

Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2012 at 1:09am
short clip.  here is the first minute of my run today.  i rolled forward off the second drop of that little double stage at the end, haha.  felt like falling into a pool full of pillows.

full screen vimeo.com/53773912

highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2012 at 1:18am
Man,that looked fun!
irish-boarder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote irish-boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2012 at 7:04am
Dude i envy the shit out of you!! nice little tumble by the way. always a crowd pleaser!
The 'GINGERS HAVE SOULS' kid is crazy..
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2012 at 11:37am
Originally posted by irish-boarder

Dude i envy the shit out of you!! nice little tumble by the way. always a crowd pleaser!

Seriously! Crazy snow quality!

Haha attempting a front flip? sweet video man.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2012 at 10:30am
^ nice
now I can put a face to the name.
was hoping the vid would introduce some music but its all good..man look at all the snow.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2012 at 5:13pm
I'm hoping to make a trip to Lake Tahoe sometime this week :)
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2012 at 1:20pm
day 6.  split up eaglecrest again.  great weather, but the sun is behind the mountains most of the time so it's dim on the way up as seen in the picture.  snow was decent but nothing that great.  kind of a firmer dry powder with a couple areas toward the bottom that were crunchy, but we had some good turns and were all stoked on it.  felt a lot more on point today and it was the highbacks like i thought... not enough forward lean from union backs on spark bases! hah

alex's first day splitting, on his new rome whiteroom

real nice up top.  chilled out for a bit and ate some of the venison from the deer dylan got this summer.

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2012 at 1:48pm
^^^ Did you just fix it with the regular foward lean adjustments?  I've always thought union highbacks looked perfect for the spark bases (and in fact I've been targeting union hardware for my blazes when my drilled-out burton highbacks eventually/inevitably fail).  But if they're not compatible I probably shouldn't go that direction

-b
get bent
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2012 at 1:55pm
no they definitely are compatible.. they fit almost like they were made to go together.  the female end of the bolt that attaches the highback is square-ish and slightly bigger than the highback hole, but it's so close that when you force it through once, you're golden, and that's about it.  the problem i had is that i can't get enough lean with the force backs when they're on spark bases, and i felt super loose riding them the other day.  today solved it.  the spark highback has a big range of lean that allows me to get it how i want it.

i'm having them send me a set of burner backs though, so it's stiffer like forces.  the blaze highback is pretty good and not as soft as the older ones, but there is still that bit of give at the top.  i think i can back off the lean a notch with the burners since they won't flex away from my boot at the top like blazes.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2012 at 2:25pm
I hate the blaze highbacks.  Truth be told, I don't like the burners either.  I'm actually real happy with my customs but it took some drilling to attach them and I was a little uncomfortable doing it even thought it seems to have turned out. 

Anyway, good luck with the burners, hope you get to talk to jeff when you're in touch with spark I've had a few convos with that guy and he's cool for real

-b
get bent
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2012 at 3:19pm
yeah, Jeff is the guy we deal with and he's always been cool.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 6:18pm
day 7, on the split again.  nice weather.  went to a new area and hooooooly shit it was sick.  the coverage was awesome and it was untouched.  pretty much ideal powder conditions for any day of the year on that line.

this is above the big chute that gave me a snow boner, we rode from top center toward the left

on the way up to the top of the line

i took one quick run down so jerms could get a shot.  i didn't smack the lip quite high enough and the snow wasn't really blowing up into a good whiteroom, but i still think it turned out pretty sick

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2012 at 7:06pm
^she-it
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2012 at 9:02am
i'm a little surpirsed the place isnt up and operational yet, I mean look at all the snow!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2012 at 12:06pm
that area has pretty good coverage, but right below that, you'd see why we're not open.  i'd say we need another 2-3 feet of snowfall to be ready.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2012 at 2:46pm
Just flew to CA from CO...and then went snowboarding. ahaha pretty crappy conditions at mt. high yesterday in Socal. Wore shorts and a tshirt and was sweating.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2012 at 2:37pm
I absolutely cannot wait to get on my hovercraft.  But it's going to be a while.  Let's see, I'm on day 5.  The first two were pre-season days hiking sugarbowl, I think I put those on here and they were kind of fun.  Day three was at mammoth with thrive, which was a low-vis, wet heavy pow day, and I apologize in advance if I thrashed any of the demo decks because it was still kind of sharky at mammoth.  (They are cool boards, and I talked them up so much my partner had me buy one for his kid, so probably worth it in the end).  Yesterday my wife and I had a nice morning riding resort groomers at mt. rose, it was nice when the sun came out.  Surprisingly good, and we spent some time at the bar too so I guess I can't complain. 

Today was a solo hike at tamarack with my dogs, they are the best riding partners I could find. 

Tamarack dogs

The backcountry is not in great condish, but there were some OK turns at the top of hourglass and up high the north/ne-facing stuff is soft without the hard crust the other aspects have from the sun (and lower because it rained).  My rock board is getting a lot of use.  Selfie:

Tamarack pacino

I hope to get more turns this weekend, and pray that we get a big snow in the near future. 

-b

get bent
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2012 at 2:45pm
i've been getting a better feel for the hover lately and i'm loving it.  it floats like crazy, turns great, and is super stable and locked down from the camber.  feels "strong" if that's a word i can use.  really digging it.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2012 at 3:11pm
I went to Lake Tahoe during Thanksgiving and was able to practice a few tricks in the terrain park. The weather was really nice and warm and there was a lot of snow :)
Cooperla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Cooperla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2012 at 9:05pm
Hill: Sugar Bowl
With: The Family
Conditions: bluebird, with decent groom that got slushy. Like late spring, but in October.
Board: Arbor Draft

Hit Sugar Bowl for my first day of the season. Felt so good to be back on snow. Beautiful day, kids in t-shirts. The coverage is good on the groomers, but very patchy everywhere else. Threw a sweet 180 off a roller- kids were impressed!
highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2012 at 12:56am
Currently up at snowshoe, early season so only a few runs open..Nothing else open in the region ,so there's lots of peeps here :(          2  small park areas  are open and a night session though
Cold front came through last night so its in the teens and they are making a ton of snow .
Light snow  currently falling  .Will try to get some pics later
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2012 at 5:25pm
day 8, splitting.  a little more snow than last time.  "OH THE QUALITY!"  it was great.  good weather too.

i went up to the ridge and got my first backside view of the island for the year.

then sam and friends built a little hip-booter

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 6:52am
Sounds like tahoe is going to start getting some more snow this week (fingers crossed).  In the meantime, Sunday was a nice day to rip resort groomers and party in the parking lot.  Here we are on Day 6, getting after the latter

Mt rose

-b
get bent
Funinc158 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Funinc158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 7:30am

Not really 2013 stuff but I feel like it would fit here better than making a thread for it.

My friends edit from his trip to Mammoth over spring break last year. He asked me to post it to get more views.

jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 8:12am
Loving all the pics, almost feels as if I'm there with my room being so cold hahah.
Having all the grey isn't so bad when there's snow and a board strapped under your feet.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 8:25am
grey?  the weather?  that's the good shit.  none of that silly sunny day nonsense.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 8:38am

grey?  the weather?  that's the good shit.  none of that silly sunny day nonsense.

That's only true if you actually like to ride.  In tahoe, we much prefer to take our snowboards over to the outdoor bar and enjoy the sunshine Tongue

-b
get bent
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 3:34pm
day 9 on the splits.  the more i do this, the more i love it, and the more i really dig the hovercraft.  such a sick deck.  6+ inches more snow since last time, beautiful weather... it was great.  the coverage is to the point that most things are fully chargeable but the features are still big.  really really great snow.

jerms splitting up

our friend bri on snowshoes

chillout zone above our first run

gopro screenshot, starting our second run

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 4:10pm
^^^ hey Spenser's friend Bri:  Not to go all aggro skiier on you but . . . DON'T BOOT THE shtooking SKIN TRACK!!!  For real tho!

-b

EDIT:  P.S., took me a minute to find it but I think it's apropo

get bent
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 4:15pm
i don't find that it matters one bit.  you skin right over any boot holes, and honestly a lot of the time i find i grip better when i'm not on a skin track, as soon as it starts to get moderately steep at all.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 4:33pm
most of my second run today, just the top half of the mountain.

rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 4:57pm
hey spenser do you use the contour or the go pro? just wondering as l pickedup the contourroam, but unsure if l want that or pay $100 more for the gopro
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 5:03pm
gopro 2.  the new contours are getting really good though, but i don't always wear a helmet and the goggle strap mount is super jiggly.  i like the gopro head strap.

here's another screen shot of Jeremy dropping into our first run, with a tailgrabber off a rock.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2012 at 10:19pm
couple more screenshots.  high fives before the drop, and bri slashing jeremy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>