2013 Captain's Log (AKA Rider's Log)

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 56789 13>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2013 Captain's Log (AKA Rider's Log)
    Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 6:51am
it's only about 15 feet, pretty little
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 12:07pm
Went out today with my son and wife, pretty fun but a little busier then I would have liked.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 12:41pm
day 33.  rode the parka again... stoked I decided to snag it off ebay last year.  rides so good.  anyway, short day before work so just a handful of runs with max.. got a few filler shots for the video segment.

reppin!

batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 1:34pm
Day 1: Finally got out on some snow today with the wife. Went to our local hill just outside of the city. Shit ton of cars in the lot, but lift lines were really short for some reason. Guess everyone was inside drinking instead of actually riding..
Pretty warm out, around 36ish, and snow was sticky soft mashed taters. Not going to complain though. The hill is usually dust on icy crust, so I'll take some snow snow to dig into. Started the day with the skunk ape, but brought a buddies board along to try out. It's a 07/08 T.Rice, and holy shit why the hell have I gone so long without camber!?! Really though, that board rips, and fully plan on picking up some camber REAL soon. Don't get me wrong, love my rocker and all, but that feel.....oooohhh that feel.
I also picked up some new boots a few days ago, and they ride goood. Felt nice to not be in packed out, beat down equipment. Also played around with stance and rotated my highbacks per the advice in that one other thread. Feel like everything is starting to get dialed in. Got huge expectations of myself this season and I'm stoked about it.

Jesus I can't believe I have gone 8ish years without camber. I have been a fool.

Anyways, rode for a few hours. It started to rain/sleet, we went home. Great day though. Counting down for next weekend, finally getting out of this state and going to ride the southern tier with some friends and family for a few days.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 1:39pm
hell yeah.  nothing like classic camber.  besides the slight lack of natural float in powder, camber rides the way snowboards should.  I felt the same way, spent 4 years off it, got back on it, and was like "ohhhhhh... that's what I've been missing."  rode camber for the first 11 years, was stoked on rocker when it was new, but have made the switch back to no rocker besides the noses of a couple of my pow boards.. but even then, two of my pow boards are full camber.  just feels so much more solid.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by spenser

just feels so much more solid.

No joke.

And not to turn this into a side convo on camber profiles which have all been argued ad nauseum, but that is for real. Also picked up my skunk ape when rocker and the like were all the rage. Don't get me wrong, I love that board. So playfully sloppy and paired with the banana traction still grippy, I can play around on that thing for days, and it does great (for me) in the tight east coast trees. But other than that I have always been slightly bummed out about it when I really want to get haulin ass down some groomers, Groomers of which, are 85% of what I ride. I don't live in an area with much snow. Why the hell would I ever get rid of traditional camber?
I felt like I couldn't side out from shit. Felt like all my carves were so smooth/nice/perfect. The tightness I could get my carves was insane.

Bleh.

Thinking about picking up a Ride DH next week. My local shop has one on sale for just over 200.
Oh, and With my new boots I am totally fine on skinnier boards. I normally rock a WW of 26.+ The T.Rice is just barley 25. I think. I sized down a full size on the boots, and they have some "shrink tech" on them. So much smaller than my old boots. I feel like after riding today, my entire world has been turned upside down, no wait, opened up. Yeah. I feel like so much has opened up for me.
/Rant.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 2:21pm
^^^ Snow trails ?!?!?!?

Got days 15 and 16 this weekend.  My knee is kind of sore to do anything too exciting at the resort, so I followed my wife and her friend around with my contour for a few runs and then drank some optimators and watched an ooompa band playing at the lodge (apparently Saturday was Bavarian day, which was great).  Screenshot here:

erin angle

Today I finally convinced Zakk to come to Nevada for a splitter tour, had couple of good mini-golf runs on north-facing aspects.  Here's the man himself slashing with my dog:

Zdog

Still some soft snow back there, but I'm hoping another storm comes through Tahoe in accord with the rumors I've been hearing

-b
get bent
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 2:37pm
^You got 16 days already? Lucky. I've only been able to go to Tahoe for 6 days so far. Hoping to go snowboarding again during MLK weekend.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

^^^ Snow trails ?!?!?!?

Mad River.

And I dig the hell out of that first shot. Really like the clumps of snow flying toward the camera. I dig, I dig.
PindaBoy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote PindaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 4:29pm
I am REALLY feeling your photo's.  

Have a safe season everyone!
Live your dream, don't sleep through it
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 4:52pm
screenshot from the 2nd of max.  first try ever...

matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote matic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 5:29pm

screenshot from the 2nd of max.  first try ever...

DOPE!! Thumbs Up
Funinc158 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Funinc158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 5:57pm
From the last couple of days of shredding. Sorry for the music, there's a running joke with the songs between my friends and I.

https://vimeo.com/56882569
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 9:17pm
New Year's Day.  I think this was Day 4 for me, but Day 1 since acquiring a GoPro for Christmas Tongue
These are all screen shots taken from GoPro video footage... Spenser is that how you get your "screen shots"?

Anyway, it was a super super fun day with lots of side hits and small airs.  Late in the day I actually ripped a few 180s on the dual mini-spines they have set up at the resort.  I didn't realize what I was doing and made my first Backside 1, which is weird because I've only ever done Front 1s but I guess I was just feeling the flow and spun the other way, haha.  Shitty light in the shadows, sorry about that.  Oh and I only got about 45 mins of video on a 16 GB card, is that normal?
Should be posting more and more media as I get better at this GoPro stuff...

1st GoPro self portrait

robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 9:26pm

Mike Ollie

Mike slash the spine

Self-portrait Air!

Cele-Bro-tory Hi-5

Mike side hit air

Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 6:01am
The biggest thing i absolutely hate in snowboarding right now: GoPro's.
So many shitty home "edits" out there now, such a waste.
"Hey guys, come watch a video of me following my friend down a groomer while he makes skidded turns and acts cool!"
In all seriousness, riding in the videos aside (because as long as you're having fun that's all that matters (i guess)), people should at least put some effort into their "edits". Putting some crappy music behind a few minutes of riding is not an "edit". Use some transitions, use some effects, create a flow, USE COLOR CORRECTION! I would say 9/10 videos do the GoPro no justice at all in terms of video quality. Yes it takes time, but it can atleast salvage a video with poor riding from unwatchable to maybe tolerable.
I'm going to go ahead and end my rant here because i'm sure many will already feel offended...
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 6:22am
Originally posted by Scorer099

"Hey guys, come watch a video of me following my friend down a groomer while he makes skidded turns and acts cool!"
In all seriousness, riding in the videos aside (because as long as you're having fun that's all that matters (i guess)), people should at least put some effort into their "edits". Putting some crappy music behind a few minutes of riding is not an "edit". Use some transitions, use some effects, create a flow, USE COLOR CORRECTION! I would say 9/10 videos do the GoPro no justice at all in terms of video quality. Yes it takes time, but it can atleast salvage a video with poor riding from unwatchable to maybe tolerable.
I'm going to go ahead and end my rant here because i'm sure many will already feel offended...
he's indirectly talking about you robnezz lol
ppossibly spenser too, I think spense uses a gopro for his vids
hopefully I'll be able to get out this week, hope the boys r free.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 6:28am
I'm talking about 90% of people that use GoPro's... and Spenser def knows he is not one of them.

www.angrysnowboarder.com
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote matic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 6:34am
Originally posted by Scorer099

this is exactly why it sells so well though. anybody without experience can shoot on this thing. not to mention the low price tag compared to what people were using to shoot back in the days.

i don't disagree though, too many shitty videos that i do not want to see.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 6:53am
Sure, I know he's indirectly referring to me. But that's why I didn't make a video I instead settled for still images. It takes way too much effort and time for me to make a video of Spenser's quality, I'll be the first to admit that. This was the first time using it, and I wanted to see what kind of video results it gave me. Now knowing that it obviously takes great HD video, but also knowing that it is beyond my scope to make worthwhile video compilations, I'll probably just stick to having the GoPro take still frame photos from now on.

Glad I could provide fodder for your bitchiness Scorer. Up yours. Instead of posting a "shitty home edit" I only posted 7 shitty photos. Maybe I was a little over-excited about it but damn...
And if you're riding but not having fun, then what's the point? Just trying to help keep the stoke going here, since "pictures are video strongly encouraged" (directly from Page 1). Be careful what you wish for.
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote matic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 7:04am
Originally posted by robnezz23

Sure, I know he's indirectly referring to me. But that's why I didn't make a video I instead settled for still images. It takes way too much effort and time for me to make a video of Spenser's quality, I'll be the first to admit that. This was the first time using it, and I wanted to see what kind of video results it gave me. Now knowing that it obviously takes great HD video, but also knowing that it is beyond my scope to make worthwhile video compilations, I'll probably just stick to having the GoPro take still frame photos from now on.

Glad I could provide fodder for your bitchiness Scorer. Up yours. Instead of posting a "shitty home edit" I only posted 7 shitty photos. Maybe I was a little over-excited about it but damn...
And if you're riding but not having fun, then what's the point? Just trying to help keep the stoke going here, since "pictures are video strongly encouraged" (directly from Page 1). Be careful what you wish for.

dude, you shouldn feel like that. share your experiences. make some effort into the videos then
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 7:11am
I wish I could. Just not a priority right now, too busy with other good things in life to spend hours learning an editing software and then putting it to good use.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 7:12am
I definitely agree with scorer x100% -- that's why I use a contour! Which reminds me that I forgot to load the hot vid I put together this weekend, which may or may not contain both skidded turns and falling-leaf style, but I still feel like there is potential artistic merit here.  As Potter Stewart said, "you know it when you see it."  This is my first all-female feature.  Hey at least we're having fun yo (or at least my wife was)!
Big smile

-b
get bent
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by robnezz23

Oh don't be so sensitive. I actually wasn't referring to your photos at all.

www.angrysnowboarder.com
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 12:43pm
ok kids.. JR clearly wasn't referring to your photos so no one needs to be butt hurt.  besides.. you said it.. as long as you were having fun.. who cares what JR thinks ;)  Bottom line... This thread IS for pics and video.. so keep em coming.. spread the stoke.  You don't have to watch the vids if you don't want to. 
MOAR powderz plz!
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 12:50pm
Hey Chad, remember when you were cool? Neither do I, but you should make your way over to these parts for the festivities next month.

www.angrysnowboarder.com
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by batmanwest

Day 1: Finally got out on some snow today with the wife. Went to our local hill just outside of the city. Shit ton of cars in the lot, but lift lines were really short for some reason. Guess everyone was inside drinking instead of actually riding..
Pretty warm out, around 36ish, and snow was sticky soft mashed taters. Not going to complain though. The hill is usually dust on icy crust, so I'll take some snow snow to dig into. Started the day with the skunk ape, but brought a buddies board along to try out. It's a 07/08 T.Rice, and holy shit why the hell have I gone so long without camber!?! Really though, that board rips, and fully plan on picking up some camber REAL soon. Don't get me wrong, love my rocker and all, but that feel.....oooohhh that feel.
I also picked up some new boots a few days ago, and they ride goood. Felt nice to not be in packed out, beat down equipment. Also played around with stance and rotated my highbacks per the advice in that one other thread. Feel like everything is starting to get dialed in. Got huge expectations of myself this season and I'm stoked about it.

Jesus I can't believe I have gone 8ish years without camber. I have been a fool.

Anyways, rode for a few hours. It started to rain/sleet, we went home. Great day though. Counting down for next weekend, finally getting out of this state and going to ride the southern tier with some friends and family for a few days.

I have never owned a rockered board nor a hybrid.  Only cambered boards...but my buddy owns a Burton Hero and kills it on it.  He owns many classic cambered boards as well and loves them but finds the Hero to be the most fun on many typical Tahoe days.  I just spent all weekend on the Joystick and absolutely love it.  So fun, super stable, surfy but still rails...may be my new number one...for now :)  

Crap...dont reply to this ...this topic is kinda lamo and doesn't belong here :)

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 6:32pm
splitting for day 34... perfect conditions.  deep, light snow, no wind, and clear skies.  went up with jerms and dylan, and that burton rider dude brandon came and headed up with us to get some shots.

here's one for now of brandon sending a pretty big gap, with eaglecrest in the background.  goes from the knob in the top right to the tranny at the bottom where you see the low tracks.  this was his 3rd hit, got a couple more, but probably my favorite photo of the day.  shifty!

CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 7:23pm
Went on a mini trip, (JFBB (PA) then 2 days in Mt Snow (VT) with my gf, they've gotten a bit of snow this season (3 ft since Christmas) so the trees were pretty fun. The North face on that mountain is super fun and of course Carinthia is the mecca of east coast park.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2013 at 12:17am
the rest

the beginning of the trail up to wedding bowl.  last march when we went, the snow was to the top of the trees.

jerms

the dudes

jerms

at the bottom of the bowl

hiking

first hit, tailgrab.  I wish that tree wasn't there in the background..

at the top

seymour canal, toward the outer coast

jerms, stoked the NHL is back

shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2013 at 5:27am
simply awesome!!!!

(fixed...see below)
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2013 at 6:33am
shwazy, oh, shwazy...why'd you have to post a duplicate set of pics directly underneath?  we would have understood which post to which you were referring

spenser:  there are a couple of really epic/professional looking shots in there.  the one of brandon's air looks even more massive with your point of view.  pulled back seymour canal lifestyle shot is another standout. well done!

anyway, spent the last couple of days riding Heavenly.  They got a couple of inches over the weekend, but despite the enormity of that mtn, the weekend warriors did an amazing job of tracking most of it out. 

overnight teens and cold daytime temps kept the snow pretty hard the first day...wasn't really feeling it.  However, it was bluebird, so I just took it easy exploring some new undiscovered (to me) nooks and crannies of the nevada side. 

Next day was also blue, but much warmer and softer.  Lotsa deep mogul riding.  It wasn't that easy to find fresh tracks, let alone powder stashes...but I did.  Rode more switch this day than ever...until I tweaked my neck so it didn't really want to turn as far for optimal vision.

hard to do justice to the height/scale of this mtn(s), so I just took a couple pics:

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2013 at 5:31pm
day 35 here.  nice new snow; I'll call it a pow day.  had some great turns and overall a really awesome day with jerms, dylan, and noe.

dylan in the morning

for the first half of the day, pure rime was coming from the sky.  literally caked our outerwear in a layer of ice and it was rad.

decided to try a new tweak, whatever that grab is called that's tweaked like a crail, but it's an indy by the front foot.  I think this one was taken a little early cause I know I held it for days.. needs more tweak though.

jerms.  this was a tailgrab at first..

tree bash ollie thing

gravity!

messed up this shot twice.. too far in, and took this one a little early, but I still like it.. jerms, method treetap

jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2013 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Piranha

shwazy, oh, shwazy...why'd you have to post a duplicate set of pics directly underneath?  we would have understood which post to which you were referring

I was thinking the same thing. must you quote all the photos again.. haha

they were great shots though and 30+ days alrdy? man im so jealous hahah me 1

(piranha must've edited his post..before I quoted it suddenly a whole bunch of pictures and a few new paragraphs were added, threw me off.  Made me wonder if I quoted the wrong post!

LOL look at the ice cubes on his face. thats a good time.
mbesp View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hello

Quote mbesp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2013 at 5:21pm
got out for only the second time this season. got to try my new dh2 wide out. first wide board I've ridden in a loonnng time.   I am not sure the reduction in drag is worth the response trade off or not. I'll give it more time to see if I get used to it or not.

I did manage to catch an edge which I havn't done in forever haha. ate it super hard and my arm is in poor shape today, oops haha.   

the weather was not ideal, almost 40* and raining or drizzling most of the day. pretty darn fun thought, gotta take what I can get these days for riding.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2013 at 7:15am
I know you are all dying to see this edit of my day 17, about five friends and my wife riding ankle deep in the east Tahoe bc. It was bluebird so I dragged along my contour, but the trip turned into more of a long traverse than a mission to ride pow. We navigated from Inclne Peak to Rifle Peak (above the other side of Incline Village), with a couple side runs in between. It was a long day, with a lot of traversing on my splitboard that reminded me how difficult that can be and how much more practice I need to wrap my brain around it, but that's what I get for following skiiers.

Here's a google earth cookie trail of the tour, gives you some idea

Rifle Peak Cookies 2

And here's an obligatory picture of my wife slaying it as per usual:

Erin slash

Bottom line of the day: don't skimp on your dvr space if there is a potentially-awesome NFL playoff battle -- It was not cool when my recording ended during OT in the Denver/Ratbirds game

-b
get bent
Winner#1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Winner#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2013 at 9:17am
spenser - what is rime?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2013 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Winner#1

spenser - what is rime?

Rime is ice that forms from fog pretty much. It's when you have a lot of water vapor in the air and mix it with quite cold temps. The vapor or fog actually freezes to most surfaces to what seems like out of now where. Pretty cool stuff, unless you have sub par coat/pant combos LOL

You should google the stuff, it can actually do REALLY cool things.
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2013 at 9:24am
Went out on my break from work today. Pretty fun, we had a few inches of fresh but it was pretty tracked by the time I got there.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2013 at 9:48am
Originally posted by batmanwest

Originally posted by Winner#1

spenser - what is rime?

Rime is ice that forms from fog pretty much. It's when you have a lot of water vapor in the air and mix it with quite cold temps. The vapor or fog actually freezes to most surfaces to what seems like out of now where. Pretty cool stuff, unless you have sub par coat/pant combos LOL

You should google the stuff, it can actually do REALLY cool things.

Round these parts we call that pogonip

-b
get bent
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2013 at 10:08am
Huh... Rime.  I learned a new word today.  Thanks guys!  It's so cool when you fly down a glade through big trees all covered in rime. 
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 11:41am
Day 18, snuck out of the office this a.m. to ride groomers with a friend at Mt. Rose, total sunshine Tahoe day up there (above the smog of this inversion in Reno).  Seemed like there was a lot of pogonip in town with the freezing fog.  Here's a shot of my boy Brian looking for something soft in the chutes on his tele setup:

Hrindo rose tele
Pulled out my 06 custom 62 which I haven't ridden for a while.  Nothing too exciting but it was good to get out and my knee is starting to feel a little more solid.  Heading to San Diego this weekend we'll see how it holds up if I get a chance to get in the ocean

-b
get bent
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 1:03pm

splitting for day 34... perfect conditions.  deep, light snow, no wind, and clear skies.  went up with jerms and dylan, and that burton rider dude brandon came and headed up with us to get some shots.

here's one for now of brandon sending a pretty big gap, with eaglecrest in the background.  goes from the knob in the top right to the tranny at the bottom where you see the low tracks.  this was his 3rd hit, got a couple more, but probably my favorite photo of the day.  shifty!

Beautiful shot!!!!
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 4:12pm
^^just got back from the ocean - basically flat.  Paddled out a few days just to get some exercise.  Hopefully, that'll keep my core in decent shape for the next storm...which seems to never be coming. 
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 6:05pm
Day 1&2. Man.. I'm only on my first day of the season. Drove 10 hours just for the -5 degrees, tons of ice patches and closed bowls. But it was good. First time ever riding a non traditional camber board. I rode the Custom Flying V just trying to get the feel for it. But I hafta say, it sucks on ice! well.. everything sucks on ice but it sucks more compared to a camber boar. Freezing temp and blasting wind didn't help though. Good thing was there's no lift line. I spotted someone riding a sierra stunt board at Copper Mountain, didn't get a chance to say hi since I was riding the lift up.

First time trying out the XShot too! Quality was a lot better than having my camera on my helmet. Not much of a headache watching the videos. I would upload some but TruSnow is acting up again.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2013 at 6:25pm
day 38.  got 20+ new inches of really heavy snow in the past couple days while they were closed. half rain at the bottom but snowing at the top.... very, very wet day. bottom half was kinda slow in the fresh snow beccause it was so thick, but still super fun.  upper mountain didn't open til 12:30 because it was on wind hold, so almost everyone left, and it was just us an a few others up there for untouched hot pow!  so fun.  the top half was still heavy, but fast unlike the bottom.  tomorrow will be awesome, as it barely got ridden today.

one crappy gopro shot of jeremy's tailgrab on a little tranny finder

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 2:35pm
day 39.  yesterday's 20" of super wet mashed tater pow, which was awesome at the time, froze overnight into a firm crust.  you could break through it so it wasn't ice, but it rode... well.. gross.  snowed 2-3 inches on top of that overnight, so there was a thin layer of padding, but each turn was a scraper.  groomer day!  blasted around on the slash ATV.  took a couple runs to dial in, but I ended up being really stoked on it.  reminds me of the way a normal snowboard used to be.... stiffer, cambered, super stable, and made to shred.  I noticed my riding being more like the way I was riding 5+ years ago when I was on stiffer full cambered boards, and it was awesome.  the camber is really minimal, pretty close to being flat actually, so it should be fun in a little more fresh snow as well.  stoked on it for sure!

last run, I hiked out the west ridge with a couple friends who I met up with later in the day.  mitch, BJ, ashley call, and lucas looking over the backside at the ocean.

and myself... ashley, who is the local jones dude for AK, took this one to send to our slash rep.

haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 5:48pm
^^ That is some killer looking pow. Very envious right now. I hope my next trip (to Wolf Creek) will be as great looking as this. I'd love to ride fresh pow just once this year in Colorado.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 8:29pm
it was 2-3" on top of 20" of frozen crust from the other day... looked great, rode like shit
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2013 at 10:06pm
Had THE most hilarious bail today. Decided to ride the right hand line of yamabiko (nozawa), done it hundreds of times. Goggles fogged up slightly and light was super flat, figured id just ride a bit and let the air in. Clipped in, headed off towards the trees as usual when... whats this? Am i? hang on? Im freefalling? Smashed into the ground in a crumpled heap. After a couple of seconds of bewilderment and stunned amazement (and obviously pain), i looked up. The bastards had cut a path through that part so people could get to the crest easier after coming off the lift. Its a 2 meter fekkin drop! Hilarious if you saw me though i imagine. 

Jerks :)  

I also had the mpother of all boot packs. I knew it was too deep to ride up there. But went to a line thats really nice and no one hits up when the rest of the resort gets tracked out. Too deep, came down too far, tried to traverse, but no chance, every tree forced me further down. By pure chance a group of skiers had dropped in a bit too far as well (or scored their favorite line requiring a long walk out - i assume the former though), and were having to skin back to the resort proper coming past me. So i popped on their skinning line and an hour and a bit later i reached the ropes. Im fekkin drained now though :)
m00m
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>