2013 Captain's Log (AKA Rider's Log)

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 7891011 13>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2013 Captain's Log (AKA Rider's Log)
    Posted: Feb/12/2013 at 5:01am
day 52 yesterday.  rode with the boys, sans jerms : ( which leaves phil, haden, and dylan.  they reported about 2 inches overnight, but it was a bit deeper.  lots of untouched spots, to my surprise, after the weekend and all.  super creamy mashed taters, without the stick!  blasted all around the mountain and had a great time.  rode the parka again.. loving camber in all this mellow fresh snow we've had.  so stable and turny.  it's like.... I'm snowboarding again..

filmed today, and put that together with a few clips from last monday as well.  currently rendering and then uploading...

photo from today, phil and haden on the chair

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2013 at 5:45am
here's the video.

shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2013 at 6:29am
Originally posted by spenser

here's the video.

fun edit...love the hank williams backdrop :)
haiv143 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote haiv143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2013 at 2:06pm
Day 3 and 4 last week at Wolf Creek during the weekdays.
First day was a blue bird day with 40-ish degrees. Got really hot but the pow was nice. Not enough to sink but enough everywhere since it there was barely anyone there. Rode in trees all day to find stash of pow. I sweat like a mad man and made a bad call taking my mittens.
Day two was a bit colder with partly clouds. The newbie skier finally picked up speed so we raced down the mountain most of the time. It was still fun with all the untouched snow. My little brother went a bit too fast down the moguls and end up kneeing himself in the face..lol and I caught it on tape. Aside from that, I mainly did small jumps in the trees. I was able to ride the smaller bow once with very few lines. Bad part was I rode down the other side of the mountain and hiked back from the highway. I was told that's the only way to get down the bowl if I decided to do it. I wish there was a lift...the walk was horrible so I only did the bowl once.

Wolf Creek was a bit small, maybe half the size of Copper Mountain. It didn't have slopes that points straight down the mountain and mostly slopes that curve along the side of the mountain.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2013 at 1:45pm
Day 4: holy crap! what a day! praise the weather gods! So it was our winter carnival at school today and they cancel classes on wednesday (today) so we can all go ride/ski. Best part of it lift tickets are free! So a buddy and i got to the mountain around 9:30. It was packed powder and a grey bird day with a steady flurry all day long. Took a couple hard tumbles and actually got tomahawked a few times, it was great! managed to find some untouched pow too! great day overall
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2013 at 4:39pm
Noone has gotten a day in since wednesday?

Day 5: another great day at cannon! got to the mountain around 12:30 we rode straight through til close. i felt a lot better today being on a fresh wax and tune. the board really locked in almost to much, but i got used to it and really liked it. Im pretty sore right now i was charging down a black carving it up and hit a hole, got the tip down in the hole, going pretty fast and wound up head over heels. But thats nothing new i get messed up everytime i go out. My buddy and i hit a few natural jumps off the edge of the trails and such, it was pretty fun. They ran the tram today, for the first time while ive been there... it was a complete joke, we had to hike on 1/4 mile of flat land in 2 feet of crusty powder just to get to the damn thing. ill stick to the cold lifts. sorry no pictures today the camera wasnt cooperating today. Ill be back up there again tommorow.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2013 at 5:35pm
Days 22 and 23 with my wife and her partner at Kirkwood (thanks for showing us around Dr. Sargent!).  On saturday we took our splitboards and touring gear and rode slackcountry off Chair 4 by emigrant lake.  Great stuff over there.  Here's a gps trail:

chair 4 slackcountry

Trust me it's cooler with snow.  Talked to two splitboarders with winter camping gear headed the same direction (anyone know Shralph Macchio?), hope they had fun and made it out OK.  

Today we did a BC tour across the way to Meiss Meadows, found some wonderful corn and had a great day in the sunshine.  Back home and will probably get some turns in Tahoe tomorrow -- then the storms start to roll in (fingers crossed).  

-b
get bent
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2013 at 6:20pm
Day 6: was saturday for me at cannon, we got a late start and got to the mountain around 12. we were in a group of 5 so it made riding the lifts difficult. The snow was okay, but got tracked out and icy towards the end of the day... the girls we were with werent having to much fun on the harder terrain, so they went off to the greens and left us to drop the hammer. we got some real nice turns in hit a few little natural side features today, it felt pretty good. still not comfortable enough to go switch yet, but still had fun doing the jumps. I'm glad my day count is on the rise now. my next day is looking like its going to be friday, super pumped up for no lift lines, because there was tons of people there saturday, not one chair rode with less than max capacity all day... good day overall.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2013 at 6:57pm
Day 5!:
can't believe I made so many days this season. i think this is a record!.
Went to Mt. St. Louise Moonstone again.  This time with my buddy and his GF. conditions were pretty good snow was quite soft, but it was it cold!! feeling something below -30C my hands were not happy. I had to go in and warm them up.  The night before I only had just over 2hrs of sleep and went to the gym that evening so I was exhausted for this trip out.  Some how through the day we split up and couldn't get in touch with each other until near the end of the day.  Rode switch for last half of the day but called it quits because my body was too exhausted to respond and there was a moment where I just stopped thinking and i blanked out for a good 5-10 seconds then I caught an edge and fell.. that hurt and woke me up.

Day 6:
also to be updated. Blue with the Ontario Crew.
*edit* So Lux was nice enough to carpool with me up to Blue Mountain in Collingwood, then we met up with FJ5 and friends at the hill.  It was CROWDED...we were standing in a couple of the lifts for a good 5-10mins before we could get loaded.. good thing a 3ppl chair lift opened that not many people use, either because its old or ppl don't know about it, but waiting for the lift was a lot faster. Lux and FJ5 move pretty quick..I have to ride my goofy to keep up with their switch!  Conditions were pretty good, but some spots were just ICE, that was scary and Happy valley a green run had this triple hump right off the bat of the run.  That's just a trap to get a pile up going, luckily i managed to absorb the jump, otherwise I would have fell for sure. Got pretty cold as the day went on into night, started to work on my switch again, and still not comfortable. I gotta go on a day where my body is fully rested and properly warmed up to go all out working on my switch. Had a lot of little features here and there, launched off them and jumped the highest I have ever gotten...3-4ft+ and got manual grabs in =p at least i think that's what the grab is called. Also hit the park for a jump at the end where there's a crowd ie the line watching as we attempted to conquer this small jump feature.  I didn't expect to get as much air as I did and it freaked me out, didn't land great but at least I didn't fall on my face or ass. so i'm pretty happy about it.. only thing that was misssing is some video footage of the day!
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2013 at 7:41pm
Day 7: Went to Squaw Valley in Lake Tahoe. The weather was nice and sunny but the snow is starting to get icy. Wish it would snow soon. Need some fresh powder. :)
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2013 at 4:52am
Went out on Saturday with my friend and his son
Good old Shawnee Mountain.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2013 at 1:15pm
Day 24, hiking in Mt. Rose wilderness with my friend Cody and my dogs in variable (mostly crusty) conditions.  This is the kind of day where it's nice to have crampons in your pack, although the sun did come out a little bit.  There are some huge sculpted booters on the roller under proletariat bowl, looks like some bro-brahs must have been having a blast yesterday.  Got a speeding ticket on the way there, but tonight's trip to vegas also got cancelled so I'll call that a wash.  Hopefully that opens up a morning to get a couple turns with whatever snow we get this week.  

-b
get bent
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2013 at 11:51pm
day 55.  today went from frustration and feeling super loose to goofy and fun.  it snowed about 8 inches and that was fun, but it only lasted about 5 runs into the day before it was pretty tracked.. impressive.  kids are on break from school though, so..

anyway, rode a little pow/tracked pow in the morning and then followed the dudes through the park.  backflips, hucking bodies, some good slams...

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2013 at 12:12am
and here are some screenshots

brian started learning backflips

max, fronty over the tire

falling on a front 3, haha

haden, back 1 out of the aframe

max, method on the hip.  I wish I rode goofy, or that we had a mirror image of this hip

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2013 at 1:46pm
day 56, rode with max and his friends.  lapped the east side for the standard speed run/hit line.  groomers were great today so I just carved and popped around, which is easily one of my favorite things in snowboarding.

no footage or anything, but max was doing some super next level scotty stevens shit

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2013 at 2:52pm
^lol
bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2013 at 3:18pm
i had been holding for a long time, but spenser, have you try your friend's union cobra dog at all? or how your friend like it? i have been eyeing it for a long time but haven't see any review about it yet. oh, how about the slash paxson (are those like fk from capita?) compare to the atv beside the camber difference.
hmmm... Now What???   
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2013 at 3:28pm
cobradogs are contacts with the team highback.  I don't like the contact base because it's a little softer than I prefer, and all the padding underneath makes it a little less responsive still.  I like a solid responsive baseplate, so normally I'm a force guy, but have been riding team atlases and this year's superpro (same as the team atlas) all year and they feel almost the same as forces, with a little more padding under foot.

the paxson is totally flat, whereas capita's FK is only flat in the middle and then rockers up right after the binding inserts.  definitely a different ride.  flat feels like a mellower version of camber in a lot of ways, whereas FK is pretty straight forward rocker.  control between the feet, easy presses, lots of natural float in pow, but it's not quite as stable or locked down or any of that.  I have ridden just about every profile out there.  loved FK when I was into it a few years ago, but these days I'm mostly back on full camber and wondering why I went so long without it, haha.  I also really like flat, because it feels very similar to camber in a lot of ways, just a little mellower, but the main thing I like is that it floats more naturally in pow.

paxson is more of a solid mid flex board, while the ATV is on the stiffer side.  paxson is also a true twin, whereas the ATV is a directional twin... twin shape, directional flex (slightly stiffer tail), and a little setback (1" more nose)
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2013 at 3:43pm
after re-read my post and reading capita site, i lol at myself that i'm still under the impression when capita first introduce the fk when it basically just flat camber (if i remembered correctly). without realized they changed the fk profile through out the years.

too bad the cobradogs just a regular contacts base unlike the sierra sl which i like it a lot. just to throw into the mixed, how much stiffer compare the union charger base and the union force base (if you have any idea of the charger)?

sounds like paxson will be on my list after the capita scott steven model. bring on the sales now (the way that slash website rated their boards made me think the paxson is on the soft side, weird gauge).
hmmm... Now What???   
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2013 at 4:28pm
regular FK is exactly the same as day one.  they didn't change it, they just added more profiles to the line.

sierra SL is also a contact base so it's exactly the same as the cobradogs.  the SL highback on those is a little softer than the team highback, though.  if you use extra forward lean, the cobra dogs might feel a little more responsive because of the highback, but if you don't use forward lean, those two bindings probably feel exactly the same.

force base is noticeably more responsive than contacts - totally solid on the board, whereas the contact base sits on top of padding so it can flex and move more in relation to the board.  I can't say for sure about the charger base as I haven't ridden them, but they are a carbon-injected atlas base so they should be slightly stiffer than the regular atlas base.  I would guess they are pretty similar to a regular force base when it comes down to it, but they will be lighter and have more padding under foot.

yeah, slash's flex scale can be kinda confusing with the way they have the diagram arranged, haha.  straight is pretty firm, ATV is a hair less firm but still a stiffer board, paxson is medium, and the park is on the softer side of medium, but it's not a noodle like a horrorscope or anything (I would compare it more to a capita indoor FK maybe)
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2013 at 4:54pm
always thought the sierra sl had carbon-injected base as well, man, bad memory.

sounds like i can't go wrong with slash snowboard on any models. now i have to break my piggy bank to see which one i can afford. lol
hmmm... Now What???   
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2013 at 4:59pm
it would be more than $200 if they carbon injected the base.  regular contact is $180.  the reason the sierra contact is a little more is because of the highback and probably just sierra's slightly inflated price that they do with all their products VS the price of the actual product from the brand that makes it
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2013 at 5:13pm

it would be more than $200 if they carbon injected the base.  regular contact is $180.  the reason the sierra contact is a little more is because of the highback and probably just sierra's slightly inflated price that they do with all their products VS the price of the actual product from the brand that makes it

spens - you doing okay?  No suicidal thoughts?  Just checking...
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2013 at 5:27pm
haha nah, only in that other thread
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2013 at 2:55pm
day 57 with jeremy.  pow day!  started out on the parka and quickly realized I was gonna be struggling a bit if I stayed on it.. luckily jeremy was at my house on his way up and grabbed charlie for me.  made the day that much better... so fun.  we went downhill, did some turns, flew through the air, drank a few beers... good times.  good to be back on charlie.. I always forget how much I like him.

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2013 at 3:30pm
Hell yeah, that snow looks great and it sounds like you're gonna get a lot more (unfortunately Tahoe is going to get much less from what I hear).  My old-school friends are all coming into town tomorrow night for the week and I think we're going to have a quality ho-down regardless of snow conditions

-b
get bent
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2013 at 9:34pm
Anyone else out there ever get the feel, that they live in the total wrong region of the world? I've gotten less days with the past two seasons combined, than I ever have with one.

Days 4-8 Killinton Vt. Week of FEB 11-15
Day 4: Woke up early to a solid first day of vacation hangover. Determined to get first lift as I had heard talks about rain moving in later in the day. Watched snow flakes fall at a decent rate while doing morning stretches and drinking copious amounts of coffee. About 3 inches of new snow over night. Windy as BALLS. going to guess 20-40 mph gusts till about 2 p.m. Lapped the "canyon" area, Runs: East fall and Cascade were just fantastic for the first 4 hours of the day, with fresh snow falling, and thick drifts on the edges of those runs. A few face shots were had, smiles were made, and a great way to start off the week.

Rode the Skunk Ape. Fun.
Like I said, it was a windy cock*sucker of a Monday morning...

Snow that was falling all morning/afternoon turned over to rain, then freezing rain by 2:30. Decided to get off the hill just after three. Was no impressed sitting around on lifts getting coated in ice. That and I'm an Ohio fat kid, my knees were reaching their limit. Called it a day. Hot tub/pool soak time with many beers. All in all a great day out.

Day 5: Rain never really turned back to snow, but it got pretty cold over night. Rain stopped, it got cold, things got groomed early, most things were a sheet. Needless to say it was a traditional camber day. Rode the T.Rice. Got to a purposeful late start, with the idea that the more people that rode during the morning, the more the "groomers" would loosen up. Kinda worked on some stuff, but not much. Wash out of a day. Gray as could be, temps in the 20's, wind, and large patches of sheet ice on every run.

Mr. Shift4200 was supposed to get at me if the stars aligned and he was actually able to come down with a hypothetical co-worker, but he never did. Instead he rode the ice in solace and decided to NOT meet up with a fellow board member to share a beer on a VERY beer worthy day. LOLLOL I kid, I kid. He really didn't text me though, and I am slightly bitter about the damn hummer driving bastard ditching me. Hahha.

Anyways, headed to bear mtn, for a run or two, confidence level floored as I couldn't find an edge, early lunch, many beers. Did a handfull of runs then shot over to the woods on Ramshead to smoke. Coverage was shit, bottomed out on a few rocks and stumps and ended up blasting a tree. To top it off dropped my lighter somewhere in the mix. Wife and I took a few runs down rams head (pretty much a long ass beginner groomer for those not familiar) and called it a day. Early hot tub time. 

It was beautiful, but nasty ass conditions in here...

Day 6:Tuesday night our group went pretty damn hard at dinner then the bar afterwords. Late start again. Once again I was hoping that since the temps stayed pretty stable overnight, groomed runs late morning would be worked up enough to not be icy, and hold a solid edge. Turned out to be true, and it was damn near a perfect fast groomer, camber day. T.Rice again. Drank a few beers on the way up to the lifts/on the lifts with the wife. Did laps of skylark/superstar/eastfall/cascade all morning. Snow held an edge real well, and didn't ever get that sketchy. Most everyone in our group was feeling good. Took a short lunch to get some sandwiches, and chug a beer. Ended up getting last chairs. Felt really good about day six. Snow kept getting better as the day went on. Just enough people to loosen up the snow, but not enough to track things out and make lift lines long.

Still super flat light. That (the light situation) was starting to get old. 

Going out in the morning from the hotel....

Guess what. Five hours later it looked about the same...haha

Day 7: Woke up to the sun trying to poke up. Stoked on that. Legs felt like shit, and so did the back. Mixture of being out of shape, and not riding a lot this year. Oh the burn!
Tried to get out early with the rest of my group, but ended up having to do some "hot yoga" in the sauna before heading out an hour later.

Service sucks on the hill. Couldn't reach anyone on the horn, so I just rode by myself for an hour or so before meeting up for a little lunch. The small* beginner/learning hill had a little boarder cross course on one side of it, and actually spent a bit of time lapping that.

*I say small, and it's funny. The vertical rise of that hill is around 550 ft. My local hill is 300. It's funny to realize that the learning hill of this place in vt is close to twice the length and height of my local joint. Perspective is everything, right? LOL

By one the sun started to come out and rejuvenated me in a way. Warmed up a tad and the snow was riding great..well you know, for groomers Stern Smile held an edge no matter what the angle. Started the day with the T.Rice, and switched to the Sierra RC paired up with Union Flights, later in the day.  It was nice to finally have some damn light. The grey theme for the week was getting old. I personally get sketched out riding in flat light regardless of lens.

The sun started trying to poke out..

Then things really stared to clear out..

So nice to have some sun..(obligatory horizon shot)

Day 8:
Last day on the snow. Pack up the room in a hurry, try to cram everything you brought with you back in the car. Everything fits, but not like should. Dread the 700 plus miles that wait for you. At least you made checkout of 10:30 and still got some bacon.

Head out, light is on again, off again shit, snow is great. Rode the RC with the Flights. We had a girl join us that just started skiing, so took the day to play around on any side hit I could find, and press the shit out of this board. I have to say, I got the RC in a 160, and it feels like a got-dayum noodle. Granted I can do the cleanest, most tweaked out nose and tail presses I have ever done...but it's such a washy board. I know a good amount of that is the binders (those flights are FLEXY Shocked) but don't see myself running to the hills to use the RC. (Anyone that want's to buy it PM me!)

Fun day none the less. Drank a beer here....

And lapped this long ass groomer here...

For most of the day. There was a good amount of Rime ice up top which was pretty cool. I dunno why, but I love that stuff. I could literally spend an hour just hanging out with some tree branches covered in the stuff, and not get bored..

All in all a pretty fine trip. As usual, a week before, and a week after (and this weekend as well) there are pow days, but we always miss them. As I said in my opening sentence, ever feel like you are in the wrong place sometimes?
Sorry if this dragged on for ya'll, but I'm type-y tonight.

Oh, and the restaurant we stopped at in Saratoga Springs on the way home had this amazing painting hanging in the bar...

Place is called "The Olde Bryan Inn". If anyone here is ever in Saratoga Springs NY, for the love of all that is holy, stop in there for some food and drink. Been stopping there for the past 5 years, and every time it is one of the best meals of my life. Super chill place, 1700's wood work, cold beer, and a bitchin steak.

/rant
Shift4200 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just before descending into the Waipio Valley Hawai'i

Quote Shift4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 3:36am
I love the press... albeit bad press....My Hummer driving ass did forget to text you.  I was lost in a drunken anger from the amount of ice that was on the mountain.

Pics look great bud.... looks like a great time.

Lets try again next year :)

S
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 10:02am
Thanks for the update BMW...but sorry to hear I wasn't the only one riding ice this week.

We were supposed to get up to 10" this last storm.  I jammed up the mtn at the crack of dawn and was stoked when I already saw 2" on the ground and the trees frosted with rime at 800 ft (lowest I've ever seen snow here...it was unusually beautiful and I shoulda taken some pics, but I was too excited to stop).  There was a good 6" blanket at about 5000 ft...but, above that, it started looking increasingly worse.

When I got to base lodge (7000 ft), things were looking very dry and nothing on the trees.  Turns out our resort only got 3" and even that was blown away by high winds.  The blown snow actually gave the facade of powder...but my ass landed on solid ice during my first turn.  Didn't take many pics, I was so pissed off.

Of course, the pow, ice, pow, ice ride is unpleasant, so, after a few bumpy runs (and almost slamming into a giant redwood), I felt like just going home...but then decided I would make the best of it and get some snowboard specific exercise...plus, it was bluebird.

Fortunately, I know of a couple hidden spots (local resort knowledge), right in the middle of the resort, that no one ever rides.  Granted, they're short, like 100 yards (just checked it on google maps), but, sure enough, most of the snow had drifted there and I was getting untracked knee high pow turns all to myself.  It was still sketchy with a few ice peaks randomly poking through, but I kinda got used to it and either went around them or just powered through...even made a few backside 1s over them.  Lapped the shit outa that.

By the end, I felt like a snowboarder, so the trip ended up a success, anyway.

shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 1:06pm

haha nah, only in that other thread
suicidal thoughts...spencer?  no way he is living the dream
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 1:43pm
it was a joke in that case, but on that note, depression doesn't care how awesome your life might be (or seem to others)
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 2:24pm

, but on that note, depression doesn't care how awesome your life might be (or seem to others)

True god damn story.

Shift, looks like you keep getting some sweet weekend little waves of joy in k-town. Few inches here, a foot there, hope you are getting out and enjoying it sir.

Piranha, sucks about the ice man. Nothing more frustrating than heading out thinking the conditions are one way, and turn out to be another when you get there. Feel that pain LOL
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 3:24pm
^^^ nice killington shots BMW, I had a rainy trip there once (but we still had a great time because it's an awesome resort town).  Vermont was pretty much the mecca when we lived back in the midwest

-b
get bent
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 5:45pm
Day 7: I love you franconia notch!!!!!! honestly best conditions ive ever ridden in. i say this everytime i know... but im not joking... So the mountain reported last night that over the course of the week they got 10 inches of fresh from 3 storms. i called BS, bec i live 20 minutes away and didnt get squat. Well, we headed up anyways today because we always go friday and saturday. Even on the road we could see that they got hammered... the whole backside of the mountain was nothing but white. meanwhile loon the other local mountain right next to it looked pretty bland. turns out the notch acts as a funnel and cannon just gets slammed with snow. good news for me. 

anyhow back to my day. it was ankle deep powder all day, and there were tons of bumps, and moguls on the groomers to launch off of. so thats what we did... all day... at the top of the run some people had made about a 5 foot kicker where they sit and get hammered all day long... (dont ask me why, but they didnt even have any equipment to get down the mountain.) so they essentially built it for entertainment purposes. well we hit that every time. 2nd to last time i got a little ballsy and decided id try a method. did the trick alright barely got the grab, but messed up on the landing, landed way to far back in the seat, and my stiff ass board which i have such a hard time flexing gave way, and i was not expecting that... so i ultimately wound up washing out. but it didnt hurt bec there was a blanket of pow there Smile. The mittersill backcountry area was actually open today too... lots of fun, got some good turns in the trees, but all the walking really takes it out of you so we only did that twice. Overall great day, its ashame all that pow is gonna be tracked out by 10:00 tommorow. but sunday were supposed to get blasted again so we will see what happens... Ill be up there again tommorow.

lots of pics were taken but i dont have any so i will see if i can have them send em to me.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 8:21pm
day 58 on charlie again.  4 more inches of lighter snow on top of remnants of yesterday, and clear weather for once!  a little fog rolled through in the morning but it was mellow.
I got to ride with my brother all day, who hasn't ridden much in the last 3 years or so, but he's coming out more this season and remembering why it's so fun.  awesome day... super fun.  I felt on point and strong and charlie was ripping.

we had it all... some powder, some groomers, turning, not turning, high fives, air, slashes, tumbles, a little puking, a couple beers, and good weather.

Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 10:32pm

I got to ride with my brother all day, who hasn't ridden much in the last 3 years or so, but he's coming out more this season and remembering why it's so fun.  awesome day... super fun.  I felt on point and strong and charlie was ripping.

That's pretty rad dude, glad you got the chance. Kinda wish I got to make some turns with my brother, it's been ten years for me. Looks like you had a little bit of inversion too, which is always pretty fun. p.s. Totally diggin the music choice for this one. Top three fav. bands. Rockin..
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2013 at 11:13pm
haha yep, I'm a fan of them as well.  not to sound typical, but "I like their older stuff better," haha.  there's something about that washington alternative sound, or whatever you'd call it.

so stoked to rid with my brother!  he has been snowboarding almost as long as I have, but never went quite as much except when we were kids, especially after highschool.  I'm excited that he's going more, and remembering that yes, in fact, snowboarding is awesome and he loves to do it.  I also just love hanging out with that guy.. he's one of my best friends, but we always forget that haha.

it's not actually an inversion, it's just fog that rolled through.  it was clear when we got there, fogging for the first couple chair rides, and then it kinda rolled off to the side and opened up again.  moist land up here!  it's been a very foggy year, hovering around freezing up there.  today's visibility was awesome. we're used to wiping goggles every 10 seconds and riding by brail half the time this year, haha.  so many fog days.
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2013 at 4:35am
Gonna get day 6 in today!
weather is a little warmer than ideal might be a wet one ) =
but gonna find out in....4hours.
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2013 at 6:32am
Been hitting up Blue Mtn a lot over the past few weeks after my Jay Peak, VT trip.  Off to Killington, VT tonight with Lux.  It's sad knowing that my season is coming to a close pretty soon.  I feel like I'm just getting started!  I think I'm going to break 20 days this season, was hoping for 30.

Video from my last shred session with Lux @Blue:
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2013 at 2:09pm
day 59, charlie.  why do I not ride this guy more?  remnants of yesterday with a reported 3" new. snow was light for once, and soft everywhere even though mostly tracked out.  did a lot of turning in the tight, steep trees.  love charlie.  maneuverability of a small board when you need it, charge-ability of a big board when you need it.  dumping pretty steady all day.. hopefully it keeps up.  rode with my brother the first half, he took off, and I finished the day solo.    

had one run with max.  little powzer tree jib.

AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2013 at 4:06pm
Day 8: Wow my day count has never been this high! so we got to the mountain around 10:30 today wound up wandering around for a half hour looking for a lost pair of gloves... had to eat that one in the shorts unfortunately... but anywhom... at the beginning of the day it really sucked... i was pissed off about the gloves, and it was windy as shit, visibility was low... and compared to yesterday the snow was rock hard, icy and the mountain was completely flat all the playful natural features that they had yesterday got knocked out by the groomers...... I kinda wanted to go home... but, i stuck it out because i was with 4 buddies... the day wound up getting a lot better because it started puking around 12:30. so by 1 there was a thin layer of powder there. and by 4 when we left it was awesome. pretty windy though so all the fresh got pushed up on the edges of the trails, so thats where i was most of the day. The ride home was terrible... bumper to bumper traffic for 10 miles on i-93, due to a 5 car pile up and another fender bender ahead of it... people must have thought they were in daytona today... took 2 hours to do a ride that should take 25 mins... at least it happened on the way back... because if it happened on the way up i woulda been PISSED! Overall it was an okay day, on the grade scale.
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2013 at 4:36pm

yeah, slash's flex scale can be kinda confusing with the way they have the diagram arranged, haha.  straight is pretty firm, ATV is a hair less firm but still a stiffer board, paxson is medium, and the park is on the softer side of medium, but it's not a noodle like a horrorscope or anything (I would compare it more to a capita indoor FK maybe)

Hey Spencer,

Do you like the slash boards for riding park?  I've been riding Cam-rock on my freeride board and love it!  Milo had both the paxton and park boards but the paxton actually felt like it was a softer board.  Will be park press easily on rails? 
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2013 at 5:15pm
day 17 or 18 ive lost count. it was windy today so all the good snow was being blown off the trails. the forecast said 43f but with the wind chill it felt like 30F. whatever helps keep the snow from melting. i met up with some friends and had fun trying to work on jumps. on the baby kickers. Lit performed live at the mountain. nothing like shredding and a free concert to end it. it was a pretty awesome day except for the windchill.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2013 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by not-ewrx

Hey Spencer,

Do you like the slash boards for riding park?  I've been riding Cam-rock on my freeride board and love it!  Milo had both the paxton and park boards but the paxton actually felt like it was a softer board.  Will be park press easily on rails? 
I only have the ATV and I don't ride park. it would be a great board for booters, but it's on the stiff side so not the best board for all-around park unless you are a best and that's your preference.

the paxson is supposed to be a normal medium flex, and the park is supposed to be a little softer and has camrock which it sounds like you are into.  I think you'd like the park for a park board, or the paxson if you want something a little more solid with more edge bite since it's flat.  not sure why it would feel softer, but who knows.

the park should be quite easy to press.  it's not a noodle like a horrorscope or anything (personally I think when a board gets TOO soft, it's actually harder to lock into a press).  it's medium-soft and with camrock, it should lend its self to all things park/jibbing
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2013 at 5:31pm
day 60.  unexpected day off so I got to shred, where usually this is the one day they're open during the week that I don't get to go.  one run with jeremy and then I finished the day with phil and haden.

ashley call built a hip in one of the gullies and it's awesome!  perfect for regular foot methods, and you can go over the tree too.

ashley, back 3

bong

jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2013 at 7:11pm
That is some insane air you have there ^
I went off a small little jump and my legs were shaking lol Just look at all the snow there! quite jealous of the conditions you've got spenser
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2013 at 7:15pm
haha not really that much air, but it sure is a fun hip.

I didn't like how these shots turned out at first, but after I put them together it looked better.  Haden sending a backflip

jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2013 at 7:31pm
Maybe it's the angel of the shot but I guess you're idea of Air is my HOLY CRAP I'd shit bricks if I got that high.
but having that much pow to back you up makes it not as bad
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2013 at 7:40pm
this is the hit, not sure if it was obvious in the photos now that I think about it

shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2013 at 7:43pm
arrow definitely helped...wouldn't have guessed that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>