2013 Captain's Log (AKA Rider's Log)

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 910111213>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nautika96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2013 Captain's Log (AKA Rider's Log)
    Posted: Mar/09/2013 at 3:44pm
awesome edit Bryman. i dug your intro and music choice. is that Alt-J? it was really fitting. you werent kidding how narrow that couloir.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2013 at 7:36pm
day 69 with zoe and her friend valerie.  so fun!  got at least 5" new snow so we had a mellow pow day.  did a little bit of filming and am planning on doing a random mash of all the footage from their 10 days here, but here are some screenshots for now

max sending it (top center to the very bottom)

brian, stalefish

max, back 3

valerie gettin' her sag on after her first day of AK powzer

not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 3:04am
In Japan right now, Niseko to be specific.  Holy shtook this place is insane.  It's snowed about 2' since I got here.  I've never seen so much snow.  This is the view from our hotel room (this is right on the resort).

Got first chair and it was a ghost town. 

Also got second gondola at Hirafu.  INSANE.  Untouched, choke deep powder the whole way down.  This place lives up to everything that's ever been said about it.  They actually under-report the amount of snowfall they get significantly.  Somehow a change of 2-3 inches turned into 2-3 FEET? Holly hell.  They almost couldn't land the plane it was nuking so hard.  Go-pro edit coming soon.  Better one when I fashion something for a pole. 

My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 4:24am
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

And last night I put together this video from Terminal Cancer couloir, I hope it meets everyone's approval:

HD link if you're interested:

https://vimeo.com/61399325

-b

Yeah it's Alt-J, kinda digging that (whatever it is) right now.  And I'm bumping this to the next page . . . .  Nice Japow pics NotErwx.  And frankly I don't think you can go wrong with the parking-lot pants-off pics, Spenser, good work.  (kinda makes me miss my durango, to tell you the truth)

-b
get bent
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 8:40am
Bryman that edit was awesome, nice work!
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 11:35am
Bluebird.  There was already plenty of powder, but the 2" that fell overnight were welcome.  Temps were low 30s and the snow was excellent...no weird crust or anything.

The weekend warriors came out a day early and joined me in shredding the feces out of the rest of the untracked main areas...feel sorry for the saturday crowd (not really).  Morning was still fresh tracks for everyone, but by noon things were pretty choppy if you didn't explore the glades...so I did.  Fuuun.

not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 12:06pm
Niseko Japan Boarding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KXYh7u_p08

My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
coolz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote coolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 2:56pm
oh wow, thats amazing not-ewrx. It would totally suck if the plane didn't land. 
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 6:36pm
found these on my local resort's website.  They have a pro photographer out there every once in a while, but it appears you have to know him to get your pic taken (never taken one of me and I'm there shredding my ass off whenever there's powder).  Anyway, these are the "pro" shots from thurs, march 7th showing our conditions from a different (and sharper) perspective than my camera:

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 6:43pm
so it's basically a guy with a DSLR that calls himself a pro... ?
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 6:03am
yeah, well, he definitely gets paid to take pics and has a big expensive looking camera, but I don't think his shots are any better than an amateur. 

Borrowed "pro" shots from fri, march 8 at my local mtn:

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 7:16am
Real nice little Day 30 yesterday in the Mt. Rose backcountry (fireplug area) with my wife, and our friends carrie and cody, and my dogs!

Fireplugs

Shredded mostly north and east-facing pow in protected areas, but it's heating up so much out there that might have been the last day for blower.  Time to start getting prepared for the corn harvest I guess

-b

get bent
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 8:30am
-b I'll be at the resort this Saturday and Sunday with a few buddies. Sunday btw is a demo day hosted by Bobo's. Stoked to try out some new gear. Lemme know if you wanna hit a couple runs together.
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 10:29am

And last night I put together this video from Terminal Cancer couloir, I hope it meets everyone's approval:

HD link if you're interested:

https://vimeo.com/61399325

-b

Yeah it's Alt-J, kinda digging that (whatever it is) right now.  And I'm bumping this to the next page . . . .  Nice Japow pics NotErwx.  And frankly I don't think you can go wrong with the parking-lot pants-off pics, Spenser, good work.  (kinda makes me miss my durango, to tell you the truth)

-b

HolyCrap Bryman _ That a 500m shute _ edit was great & Alt-j does have that music : got hooked on Breezeblock so I google the lyrics _ Shocked
Fear is the Mind Killer
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 10:46am
Mark Rainery wins Ticket to Tailgate. Vimeo here
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 3:32pm
so stoked for mark!

day 70 today with zoe and the crew.  charlie party!

AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2013 at 7:21pm
Days 11 and 12.

Day 11 was friday, the snow was great! it was a little on the warmer side but still nice. pissed some people off who like to barbecue on the side of one of the trails, apparently hitting a jump that they made in the middle of the trail is unacceptable, screw them its a public trail... other than that it was a pretty usual day on the mountain.

Day 12 was sunday, super hot stripped off every layer but my jacket. but it was argueably the second best day of the year, the snow was super soft. They closed off the portion of the mountain we usually like because they had some kind of collegiate race there, watched some it was pretty cool. We rode the other side, i was delighted to see that it was very playful, lots of little bumps and moguls you could just launch yourself off. my friend took a pretty hard hit rocketing off a ledge from the trees, messed up his shoulder pretty good, hes a trooper though finished the day and even took a few laps in the park. overall great day lots and lots of fun. 
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2013 at 7:22pm
also posted in the other thread, but..

71 with zoe, val, haden, and devyn.  bluebird, super soft snow, epic day.  I like to snowboard.  juice wagon rules ass.

hiked out the ridge to show the canadians the back side

zoe and I

back side

zoe

zoe and val

and a few screenshots.  got some pretty sick footage today.

haden, flippydoo

haden, fronty

zoe sending a back 1

Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2013 at 10:46pm
Beautiful shot of the backside!....lol But seriously, great shot!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2013 at 2:00pm
day 73.. today was sick.  sun, more blower pow, and the girls got to meet lando at his home mountain.  booyah!

we ran into lando as we were hiking up for the run pictured below.  he was filming with liam gallagher for the sequel to The Mad Ones

val up top

ladies

happy dogs and lots of excitement at the end of the day

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2013 at 7:49pm
Day 31 for me at the resort, finally got a few runs in with Robnezz.  Great spring Tahoe day, I probably did more hanging in the parking lot that actually riding, which was fine by me.  I didn't get any pictures, but hopefully Rob got some gopro of me destroying the mountain.  Seems likely . . . . 

Rode my 2003 se7en 158T, great board!  Haven't been on that thing for a while, had a good time.  Looks like I'm headed to Sugar Bowl for Sierra Avalanche Center day tomorrow, anybody else up that way?

-b
get bent
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2013 at 2:03pm
And ... day 32 at Sugar Bowl with my skiier friends Brian and Cody.  Another great Tahoe corn spring day, Sugar Bowl has a lot of great terrain (which would all be better on a couple-foot pow day but at this point I'm taking what I can get).  

-b
get bent
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2013 at 2:28pm
Well over 100 days now, but here is 3 days at Baldface Lodge...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2013 at 2:59pm
Got in a hot day at big bear. 60f weather meant t shirts and slush. The park was ice until 10 am then started to soften. After 1pm though the take offs were all rutted out and the snow would just give way on a setup carve. That meant it was time to go home.
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2013 at 4:04am
My sons first chairlift ride.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2013 at 9:05am
Somewhere at Heavenly
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
adeodadus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Undaunted

Quote adeodadus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2013 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Scorer099

Well over 100 days now, but here is 3 days at Baldface Lodge...

WOw.. Clap   have also been to Retallack?  Buddy of mine just got back.  I've only been to Redresort, Big White, and Lake Louise area.  There's just so many spots I want to board and off my bucket list..(spencer's spots come to mind: backdrop scenery alone)
Fear is the Mind Killer
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2013 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by adeodadus

WOw.. Clap   have also been to Retallack?  Buddy of mine just got back.  I've only been to Redresort, Big White, and Lake Louise area.  There's just so many spots I want to board and off my bucket list..(spencer's spots come to mind: backdrop scenery alone)

No, this is the only place in BC i have been. Looking to spend some time out there next winter hitting some of the resorts and splitboarding. BC is amazing.

www.angrysnowboarder.com
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2013 at 12:30pm
Rode both Saturday and Sunday at the resort after taking a 2-month hiatus (not intentionally). Hard and fast in the a.m. quickly turned to warm, soft slush by 11:30. By closing time at 4 it was nearly rotten, but still fun. Yes, I got some footage of -b and the rest of my buddies killing it. I hope to get a chance to put something together tonight, even if its just still screen photos.
Highlights: Front 1's and Cab 1's are starting to get really fun and I'm getting pretty solid at landing them nearly everytime. Probably not much air or style, but meh that will take time. Highlight #2: My lil bro (a lifetime snowboarder) learned to ski yesterday in only 3 runs down the hill. Highlight #3: Switch 50-50 over an up-down triangle box. Super stoked about that one!! First ever switch 50-50. Highlight #4: Finally met up and rode with -b and his wife. Both are VERY solid riders. Highlight #5: Feeling super comfortable getting air off jumps & side hits now, and feeling like my indy grabs are on lock. Highlight #6: Demo'd a Sherlock FlyingV and a Nug V-rocker with Genesis bindings. All I can say about the Nug/Genesis combo is WOW. Amazing everything. And... I want.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2013 at 3:37pm
^^^ I don't know if I'm more excited to watch Scorer's baldface vid or find out his last name is Englebert !!!  It's practically Christmas up in the Captain's log today.  

-b

EDIT: Rad vid scorer, I just decided I'm taking my hovercraft out there in a couple weeks (although I don't expect conditions to be like that, damn!).  I just sent it to my wife, she will be stoked.  Do they have plenty of boards to demo in the shop if I want to ride something else?

And Rob, I'm only highlight #4, seriously?
get bent
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2013 at 4:44pm
After watching Scorer099's video I'm pretty sure I have seen him on the mountain at least a few times this season.

Great video - nicely edited, too.  Would love to head up to BC one day.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2013 at 4:46pm
They pretty much have every pow board from Burton, Capita, and Lib Tech. They have plenty! Although there is no reason why you'd want to ride anything but the hovercraft probably.

I would expect conditions to still be rad though, and even if it doesn't snow a bunch leading up to the trip that just means you will be able to ride steeper stable terrain! It's a bit of a trade off for sure!

www.angrysnowboarder.com
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2013 at 5:16pm
going through footage from zoe's trip, screenshot from yesterday of my buddy miles going over me.

AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2013 at 6:27pm
captains log is looking epic today! scorer the video was awesome! Super pumped to get back out after break. I gotta make this money so i can go though... 60 hours this week... im 19 in so far and its only monday...
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2013 at 10:28am
I forgot to mention that my Highlights were listed in no particular order.   

You're lucky you made the list -b! ahhaaha
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2013 at 10:50am
teasers from this past weekend

gotta try to redeem myself here with this one
bryman and wife

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2013 at 8:35pm
day 75 with jerms and max.  a little more snow and dumping through a lot of the day.  filmed a couple clips with max; might be making a little spring break edit for him to compliment the winter break video from december.

we lapped this run a couple times.  he didn't feel like riding it, so he took the short way down.

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2013 at 5:36am
Classic 10-second clip of my friend Brian eating shit off a rock at Sugar Bowl on Sunday, then taking what I thought was going to be a slide into a tree

If I had been a little closer with the POV this could be in the running for crash of the week on unofficial.  I may have overreacted by yelling "self arrest" but I did think he was going to injure himself.  Tele skis are dangerous

-b
get bent
bwen View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2013 at 7:22am
Nothing amazing, just my friend and I colliding together after going the same path, resulted in a broken GoPro Hero 2 case though

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2013 at 12:06pm
day 77 today.  side hit/speed laps on the east side.

we did the same thing yesterday and jerms brought his camera bag. shot of me trying to get better at methods..

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2013 at 3:45pm
^awesome
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2013 at 5:26pm
Looks rad to me!
What board is that? 
If only Queensland had snow...
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2013 at 6:55pm
it's alright, I still don't have very good methods.  they're cheater-style.

it's the burton juice wagon
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2013 at 6:56pm
^ nice!
Day 8... I think? went out to blue with FJ5 and LUX it was awesome.. had a great time, conditions were real nice to even more so for the month of march! there was snow.
FJ got some footage of us.. its in the other thread there something call amateur Sierra footage?
I was expecting to ride the whole day 9-9 but turned out there was no night riding anymore so it ended around 4 which was alright becuase I was done! rode like it was my last day of the season.. and it might very well be.. don't know how much longer things will continue to stay cold. soon things will be melting and turning in to ice and mud puddles.
Time to fly out to Alaska! lol

Amazing year for me. to many of you 8 may not be a lot of days out but for me it was quite a feat. always busy and scheduling was always tight, luckily found some peeps to ride with, so grateful. Looking forward to hopefully another fun filled season next year.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2013 at 5:34am
^^^ Get in where you fit in!  Whatever you got to do this year is good if you're stoked: that is the point of snowboarding as far as I can tell.  

I will never be able to do a method that looks as sick on camera as that shot of Spenser up there (and if I did I'd have it made into a Fathead and put it on my office wall for all time)

-b
get bent
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2013 at 6:23am
Swwweeeeeet bro! Shred ze gnar!
Duneluder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Duneluder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2013 at 11:07am
Hey all, haven't been posting much but figured I'd share my recent edits from this season.

Both are at Schweitzer Mountain in northern Idaho. Enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/62398228

https://vimeo.com/61080967

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2013 at 3:00pm
day 78 with the lady.  fun is fun

jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2013 at 4:59pm

^^^ Get in where you fit in!  Whatever you got to do this year is good if you're stoked: that is the point of snowboarding as far as I can tell.  

I will never be able to do a method that looks as sick on camera as that shot of Spenser up there (and if I did I'd have it made into a Fathead and put it on my office wall for all time)

-b
I did exactly that! it would be nice to live the life for a little bit though see how is like =p

Man need some good air time to pull off a Method like that.. I want to get to that too, in time perhaps =p lol
blow up picture too.. haha but I have no office but It would be in my room or somewhere
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2013 at 8:14pm
haha it's really not that good of a method, but I'm stoked you guys like it.  I like it too, but I am still a noob at them.  need to kick the back leg more, and I want to move my hand right behind the front binding.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>