2013 Captain's Log (AKA Rider's Log)

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 34567 13>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2013 Captain's Log (AKA Rider's Log)
    Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Winner#1

^^^^It's Alaska man, their hills get dumped on all the time
mountains, you mean : )
thisisjoebro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 7:13pm
I get so jealous every time i visit this thread. I have never ridden anything like that. I hope someday I will. 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2012 at 7:39pm
it's a choice, so you can do it.  make it happen!

day 16 (sunday). a lot more snow, but heavier as temps warmed up. split up solo and had a run. super sick. not too wet, just kinda dense i guess. hit a pretty lofty air toward the bottom that felt great. bummer part is that we had about 3 feet of really light stuff, and now a foot or so on top of that of pretty heavy stuff, and the avy risk skyrocketed. sketchy backcountry season ahead, potentially. our local guy bill glude who is a world renowned avy expert has been saying that layer is super weak right now.

day 17, today. another solo split mission. storming out, but i love that shit. i love little breaks to catch my breath on the way up, closing my eyes, and spacing out as the snow and wind is hitting my face. good amount of new snow since sunday and it came down lighter. pretty much normal northwest pow.. real nice. took a different run and it was pretty good, although i kind of wish i stuck to my standard route. maybe tomorrow..
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 8:35am
well, that storm that was supposed to only give us up to 8" parked itself right over our resort and dumped 15"!  It went from a ride quality level of 2 to a 10 overnight.  I'm locked into this surf trip, so I can't go up (ugh).  Good news is, if this keeps up, base could get good early this season (last year, the base wasn't worth a sh*t until march).
Dukester View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dukester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 4:31pm
1st ride of the season today! Our little midwest resort opened up 2 weeks ago but only for the weekend and wasn't able to reopen until today. Only had 4 runs open though. Glad I get to go for free since I work there!

keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 5:33pm
^were you in their snow cats? Must be sick to take that instead of the lift lol
for fantastic outdoor deals, checkout:
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/KelvinChung
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 6:34pm
Spense becareful out there. its starting to sound dangerous.. esp if you're going out solo
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2012 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by spenser

it's a choice, so you can do it.  make it happen!

Yeah for sure I will make it happen maybe sooner than I think. 
chhummystar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chhummystar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 1:21am
fun day to get the snow legs back, lotta good vibes and messing around and catching up with riding buddies.
I've missed snowboarding so much.
highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 1:53am
Great weather and fun turns  on 12/13  at the shoe.
My buddy (in the pic) and I found some soft turns near the snowmakers but are really frothing for some powder turns .Good times nonetheless

jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2012 at 8:21am
Holy smokes.. just tabbed this page and and BAMB BLUEBIRD! that's a nice cool blue. looking really cold too haha
this puts a smile on my face despite the crap going on.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 1:57pm
day 19.  mark (rainery) is in town!  came over in the morning and we went up and met a few more dudes.  heavy snow, and lots of it.  kinda crappy visibility, but whatever.  good shit!

mark, method on bear trap cliff.

and the cheetah rules.

| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 2:27pm
Cheetah!  Was supposed to head down to San Diego to see People Under the Stairs but the show got cancelled so . . . got out for my day 9 with some skiiers at rubicon peak.  First time back there, it's legit.  Headed out super early because there are only two or three places to park, got a couple laps up high.  Blower pow above 7500' here's a shot of dave going after it.  Kind of a sugary pow I don't see in Tahoe too often, it was a great day. 

And here's one of me hiking, real nice morning until the storm rolled in. Totally cold for Tahoe too

Rubicon

-b

get bent
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 4:02pm
Spenser your edits are unreal. We have no snow here in Michigan. I got one day in (opening day) and then any snow we had melted. A few friends went up today (even though it's 45 and raining) but I passed to catch up on some well needed rest and work on the rail I'm building.
~2011 CAPiTA Indoor Survival FK~2011 Union Cyan Forces~2012 Burton Rulers~
milutinho View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote milutinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 4:36pm
day 1 today at devils head, wisconsin...

it was pouring all day today but i run the snowboard club at the high school i teach at and we already had the date booked...there were 6 runs open and it was rough in the morning...the afternoon was nice with the rain taking a few breaks hear and there and softening the snow up a bit. they had a rail jam some of the kids from the school were participating in so it was nice to see some midwest kids doing some pretty impressive stuff

wore my Homeschool Anvil jacket and it handled the rain like a champ...unreal. if you are looking for an awesome high tech coat...this is it.

it was just nice to be on the "snow" again...
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2012 at 4:47pm
Spent the day in Keystones rail yard....didnt eff myself up = good day!

youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2012 at 1:13pm
I hate Michigan...
~2011 CAPiTA Indoor Survival FK~2011 Union Cyan Forces~2012 Burton Rulers~
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2012 at 5:46pm
Day 1: Me my buddy and his dad headed up to cannon on saturday. (12/15) The conditions were okay in the beginning but slowly got worse as the day went on... to the point where it was a sheet of ice and just brown mud under it... The terrain up top was like nothing i've ever ridden before being from jersey and only ridden the poconos. They had 2 lifts open one went halfway up the run, the other went to about mid-mountain. Lots of moguls up top which im not a fan of... found myself just saying screw it and going down a sketchy side trail that had a few bumps was only about 15 feet wide and constantly turning making it super hard to carve... when the mountain opened up a bit it was super nice making for some nice turns. they had the guns blasting all day so some spots would get nice but they didnt reposition the tripods so some spots got super deep others were straight ice. When i did do the moguls i found myself working the board real nice, other times i just found myself launching over the top of them and eating shit on the other end hahahahaha! Over all a good first day, but i am super sore right now. Next day to get out looks like wednesday and we should have some better conditions.

Heres a couple pics.
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2012 at 6:10pm

Foggy day but soft snow in PA at Big Boulder. Rode half the day switch, the other half in the park and hit some urban hand rails for the first time this season...felt really good.

But as I type this I hear a downpour of rain...sigh.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2012 at 3:28am
video from the 8th and 9th splitting at eaglecrest with phil, jeremy, and josh.

batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2012 at 6:26am

video from the 8th and 9th splitting at eaglecrest with phil, jeremy, and josh.

Thanks for bringing the stoke. Looks like once again you are having AK problems-snows too deep. Can't even fathom that....oh, and also thanks for posting all those vids man. I keep showing them to my wife, and yesterday I found her on the computer looking at flights to AK for next year! Looks like it might actually happen this time, rather than just talking about it. She told me she already has a savings account set up for us just for an Alaska trip...WOOP!

Looks like I will see my first snow for the year this weekend. Just can't believe it's taken this long to see some. Still don't know if I'll be able to ride this weekend. We are taking our gear with us to the in-laws just in case. Crossing the fingers. I got the itch...bad.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2012 at 10:28pm
hell yeah!  that's awesome.  I'm stoked you're stoked, and hopefully that AK trip happens in the near future.  even a summer trip would be worth it.  let me know if/when it happens!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 4:03am

hell yeah!  that's awesome.  I'm stoked you're stoked, and hopefully that AK trip happens in the near future.  even a summer trip would be worth it.  let me know if/when it happens!

I will go ahead and just assume any time in AK is rad, but we are trying to plan it around the snow season so we can try and ride some of that famed deep stuff. I would guess late Jan, early Feb would be the best bet to try and catch some good conditions? Oh, and I forgot to add...that's awesome you got to ride with Mark!
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 4:10am
^ Make sure you go to Haines.  I'll check with my wife's cousin to see if she still works for a heli company.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 4:24am
Originally posted by ctoma

^ Make sure you go to Haines.  I'll check with my wife's cousin to see if she still works for a heli company.

Heli eh? That would be farking rad. Good news is I have about a year to plan this LOL I think the plan is to ride a few days, then take a few days to explore a bit.
Anyways, back to riding guys, I'll stop thread jacking now Wink
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 6:06am
Got my 1st day out yesterday, sorry no photos = no camera = not even able to upload em anyway.
Conditions were warm, my ass got wet right when I planted it to do up my bindings. Kinda feels like I'm back to square one, learning all over again. Found it pretty hard to ride down this granular stuff, close to being slush.
I have never seen the hills so barren without snow before, whole runs just bear. Guess its due to the events happening Friday, all the dry heat moving in. But at least I got one run in before that happens.
Got to finally test out the Reverse Crew it was quite poppy, really weird to ride at first for multiple reasons, first run of the season, pretty new to rocker, board is 151cm felt quite short vs what i normally ride, 156cm. but after a couple of runs I was good to go, handled the speeds I was able to go just fine. Just can't wait to go out again!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 6:42am
don't heli unless you're ready for it.

mark is my personal friend haha, I just didn't know he came back to town for a bit so it was a surprise.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2012 at 2:30pm

don't heli unless you're ready for it.

mark is my personal friend haha, I just didn't know he came back to town for a bit so it was a surprise.

Aware Mark is a friend, just remarking that it would be rad to ride with someone of that level.

As for heli, I have no avy training, and I'm not great in pow..you know, being an ice-coaster and all. I can handle the steeps, and feel comfortable at speed, but doubt I would be ready for heli riding. Who knows...but I do know it's something I've always wanted to do. At some point in my life it will happen, when? Probably not in the next few years, but who knows.. LOL
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 12:37pm
Last night I was reminded of why I hate boarding at night in southern California. ICY AS EFF. I also need to re-sharpen my edges.Disapprove
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2012 at 6:58pm
day 20 with mark and dylan.  hasn't snowed in a few days so eaglecrest is mashed down, but it was still a lot of fun.  soft enough to ride everywhere and have a good time, with a few stashes here and there.  rode charlie and remembered how much i LOVE him.  felt so good.

hiked out the ridge and filmed with mark's camera, as he and dylan did a hogsback line across the valley.  unfortunately the wind hammered that whole face and it was crap snow so the lines didn't work out, but it was fun to get out there.

mark, tailgrab

new friend from tahoe, originally a masshole, sending a stalefish.  I think he's on burton flow?  sick rider.

mark, switch back 1

dylan was trying to figure out millerflips.  didn't quite get it today, but it still ended up with a couple good shots haha.

when we got up on the ridge, the beauty of the day really came out.  sun hits the mountain from behind, so the backside is the place to be.

my little filming office for a minute.  they were riding the face directly in the background where the camera is pointing (duh)

shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
  Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2012 at 2:52pm
Day 5 at N*...started dumping around 1:00 pm.  Made for a really fun two hours of riding.  Cant wait for a big pow weekend starting tomorrow.  Not that I ever really forget how fun powder is but still when you experience it again you are almost surprised at how friggn awesome of a feeling it is.  Will try and get something posted from tomorrow and Sunday :)
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2012 at 6:54pm
^I can't wait for fresh snow and powder this weekend. Plan on going up to the mountain after the storm is over.
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2012 at 8:42pm
Wow Eaglecrest looks beautiful.
My friends just left for Heavenly this weekend to ride through the storm - so jealous!

shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
  Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2012 at 9:23pm
Day 5 at N*...started dumping around 1:00 pm.  Made for a really fun two hours of riding.  Cant wait for a big pow weekend starting tomorrow.  Not that I ever really forget how fun powder is but still when you experience it again you are almost surprised at how friggn awesome of a feeling it is.  Will try and get something posted from tomorrow and Sunday :)
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2012 at 2:35pm
12/22 /12 snowshoe   about 15 inches fell yesterday and last night..How fast do you think I started walking to the rope drop when I saw this in the parking lot ?

Couple clips of some low angle stuff , bushwacking and some low tide trees  that we're trying to pack some snow down in to establish a base for the next few storms(Hows the guy at :45 with the hardboots swinging the 165 around in the tight trees)

http://vimeo.com/56166094
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2012 at 3:37pm
^wow, good for you.  How often does West Virginia crack the top ten deepest daily snowfall in the country?...it's rare, for sure. 

damn those trees are tight...but it must be nice to ride some trees for a change 
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2012 at 4:11pm
That's some good sh!t you guys got there, great photos too. esp like the scenery one from spenser
bahaha look at the gold! all the white gold we so need a good snow pounding on our hills..damn. that looks like FUN
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 1:36am
Yep, the trees are tight . Keeps you on you toes.!They are still working on terrain expansion. Gotta stay entertained some how. . Makes one really appreciate the trips out west even more .Its going bluebird today and more storms are OTW for later in the week
richardvoyageur View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 7:56am
Day 1!  Finally LOL

And it was on the crappiest little hill you could imagine, but still nice to get out and hit the slopes.  Was a nice -15C or so and I was riding my Sierra Crew with the Rome S90s, a good combo for tearing up the groomers.  

We have a baby now so it's a lot tougher to get out than it used to be.  We're hoping to get back out to BC next year, probably Sun Peaks again.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 3:07pm
day 22?  fast carvy groomer runs on charlie.. lovin' it.  still cold and no new snow.

skiers were out in full force today.

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thisisjoebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 7:46pm

when we got up on the ridge, the beauty of the day really came out.  sun hits the mountain from behind, so the backside is the place to be.

This is such an awesome landscape shot. Did you take it with the go pro too?
Funinc158 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Funinc158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2012 at 7:49pm
 Little update...

Day 4 

Buttermilk/Aspen Highlands

Buttermilk was super fun to cruise around on. Hit some tracked out pow. Aspen Highlands was also fun to cruise around on. It was a bit more,challenging than Buttermilk or even Snowmass but I loved the windy runs. I could here any control going on, which is weird to me being from the Midwest. I tried to shoot with my gopro but it turned out it was pointing towards the ground and all you could see was my shadow.

Some phone pics.

Day 5

Mad River

I returned to the Midwest on Saturday and by Sunday my local resort had its opening day. This is the latest opening I ever remember. The conditions were super soft and most of Mad River was open. Just coming home from CO, it felt super crappy. The park had two rails and there were no jumps. However, when I met up with friends we found a whole bunch of side hits and piles of snow we could boost off of. It was super fun.

Little GoPro pic. I'm all the way at the end with the Bellevue/Camo stagger combo

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 1:13am
Originally posted by thisisjoebro

This is such an awesome landscape shot. Did you take it with the go pro too?

thank you, and yessir
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 4:36pm
Wow spenser, that looks amazing! I was riding ice all day my board kept washing out...
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 5:27pm
day 23.  rode with mark for a bit and got a shot that turned out okay, but the light in there is so dim...

MFM has a shot on this feature in one of the absinthe videos, forget which one though

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 8:53pm
here are the rest from today.  rode with mark for the first part of the day and then with my 10 year old cousin who's up from oregon for christmas.  it's his first time ever and he is seriously killing it.. we got him a full snowboard setup for christmas so he's pretty stoked.  he can't really turn yet but he's great at pointing it until he decides to fall cause he wants to stop.  he hit a tranny finder and nailed it though.  little bump with another bump about 8 feet out.. pointed it, caught air, landed perfectly on the tranny, and rode away like it was nothing.  that got me just as stoked as when we ride with the big boys and rad shit is going down.

here's the top of the zone where I took that first picture of mark

me and noah

hard to get a clear shot in the dim light at the end of the day, but we tried.  obviously he didn't land this one, but I thought it was funny

AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Quote AyChan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 10:24pm
cute kid! got a lil shaun white there
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2012 at 5:26am
Mad props to your little cousin. It's awesome that he's so unafraid!
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2012 at 9:03am
Wow, that kid rips! He's gonna be amazing after a few years.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2012 at 9:04am
HAHA if the rest of us fell that way we would be in pain.
miss being a kid, barely feel anything when you fall.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>