2013 Captain's Log (AKA Rider's Log)

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 45678 13>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2013 Captain's Log (AKA Rider's Log)
    Posted: Dec/25/2012 at 9:52am
first day.  Freaking out on the drive up because the ground was dry up to about 5,000 ft and only a couple inches of fresh on the roofs at about 6k.  It wasn't even snowing when I got to the resort....but, thankfully, it started about 5 min after.

I was also happy at the natural off-piste coverage, even at base lodge.  Last year, the whole mtn was completely dry up until late Jan, except for the few man made runs.

My first run was about ankle deep.  Started dumping pretty heavy by noon and, by last chair, it was near white out and knee deep.  The trees up top were doable so I still had a blast.  My new Dragon yellow/blue ion lenses worked fine in the worst of it - great definition optics and no fog (unlike those crappy smith sensor mirrors I had last season)

Something I've never seen before was how friggin' beefy the snow crystals became by the end of the day; literally a quarter of an inch wide and a perfect 6 point star shape.

woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2012 at 10:39am
Christmas day and my first day on snow. Well worth the wait since I went out with my 2 year son and he loved it!

gunda pickle View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gunda pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2012 at 10:44am
Originally posted by woodhomie1996

Christmas day and my first day on snow. Well worth the wait since I went out with my 2 year son and he loved it!

2yo old?
He looks like he is ready to shred!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2012 at 11:23am
He will be 3 in January.

Best video i captured but my sister in law has better ones
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 5:07am
Good stuff everybody.  Tahoe is getting some.  I had days 10 and 11 on Saturday and Monday at Mt Rose.  The bc was upside down and sketch so we stayed at the resort, but had great powder turns both days.  Saturday was a whiteout blizzard and Monday was the first day they opened the backside after 4 feet of pow . . . first day on my Hovercraft and I definitely like it.  Unfortunately I twisted the hell out of my knee when I accidentally threw myself into a 10' bomb drop to flat ice (where did that come from ????) and I think I'm out of commission for a bit.  Very scard when it first happened but I don't think it's going to be a season-ender at this point. 

Yesterday I drove my wife to the resort and hung out in the lodge playing soccer mom.  At one point I walked our dogs up a cat track so she could get a couple turns with them, snapped these cheesy pics:

feelgood

And on the way to the parking lot:

feelgood dogs

Apparently she digs her new feelgood. 

Hope to be back on snow real soon, looks like we're getting some goods right now . . . .

-b
get bent
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 6:29am
Jeans, Bry? Come awn Big smile
-zakk

Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 7:42am
bluebird.  12"+ on my car by morning (shoveling out, solo, at the end of the day was not fun). 

Snow looked really good...but turned out it to be really dense "sierra cement".  Additionally, the cold night left a thick, almost crust layer that was manageable, but had a tendency to occasionally throw off your turns (only straight airs off-piste in the morning)...it's gonna make a great base, though, for sure. 

Of course, the masses b-lined it for the top spots to get their fresh tracks...even though those were all in shadow.  I headed for the best spots that were being softened by the sun.  Within the first 30 min, I got a massive frontside air off a big hip that blew my mind, then a bunch of decent backside 1s and a couple sketchy frontside 1s throughout the day...fairly happy with my performance considering only my second day/lack of "snow legs".

(my little honda, in the middle)

Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 8:11am
Originally posted by zakk

Jeans, Bry? Come awn Big smile

We're from Ohio man, I don't know what to tell you.  It was all I could to to keep her from wearing her carhart jacket out there. 

-b
get bent
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 11:53am
Day 6 last Saturday at N* in Tahoe. Day 7 (the next day was even better :) ) This was after we got back to the car after about 5 hours of riding!

the royal we

Ryan

highway12south View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 12:51pm
Im itching to get back  out there so bad, you guys are loving it 
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 1:02pm
God I can't wait to get out to Tahoe in 2 weeks. Gonna be epicccccc.
milutinho View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote milutinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 2:09pm
Day 2 Loveland...drove out to CO from Chicago with the wife and had a blast. Not a lot open but compared to midwest its great. Went under some ropes, rode pow all morning, got yelled at and went back to the hotel. All in all a great day.

mbesp View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hello

Quote mbesp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 2:16pm
dang dude, those pics re crazy.   jealousy is high.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 4:39pm
day 24.  rode the new happy hour 59 for the first time for real.  stoked to be back on it.. such a fun board.  slight bump up from the 57 is perfect as i hoped.  carves soooo good and is just about my perfect all-around board.

filmed a few laps with max.  still no fresh snow, so we were doing side hits and fun little stuff.  this kid is getting good... might film a few more days with him and then make a little edit.

method screenshot

mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2012 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by shwazy

Day 6 last Saturday at N* in Tahoe. Day 7 (the next day was even better :) ) This was after we got back to the car after about 5 hours of riding!

the royal we

Ryan

\

HOLY MOLY!!! Amazing pictures man...I'm on my way!!!
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 6:50pm
Utah has been getting pounded.  This is like two runs I did xmas day.  Best xmas ever! 
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 7:19pm
got my first day in night boarding last weekend. temps were good during the day so itwasnt too icy. the xmas crowds were out but i barely had to wait in line. they were all over the beginner runs so i just stuck to the blues and up.
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2012 at 8:58pm
Got in some post-christmas riding in!

2-3 inches of snow (-___-) and some man made snow hahah lame. Still a great day nonetheless!
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
milutinho View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote milutinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 5:05pm
Day 4 winter park...awesome day. 8+ of fresh even more in the trees. it was cold but survivable. first time at winter park and it was great.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2012 at 5:17pm
pics, or it didn't happen Wink
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2012 at 5:19pm
Day 5

Got to Jack Frost around 9:30 to some fresh snow on the ground. The glades were pretty decent today...though plenty of rocks to hit your board today. Rode all the way until last chair for the first time of the season.

Good, solid day.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2012 at 6:08pm
Its snowed 40 inches in the last ten days in WVa. Not bad for the midatlantic.

There was a power outage today on the mtn. Didnt open until after 1 Pm .
Bout 8 +inches of blower pow fell  last night .
http://youtu.be/X5IFtrDXOPg

Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2012 at 4:31am
I went out for my first real day on Saturday, it was snowing and I had a good group of friends couldn't ask for a better first day! No pictures due to having way too much fun!
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2012 at 9:12am
^^dang, looks pretty good.  Some bare spots on the landings, but the glades looked fun - kind of a west coast look.
Winner#1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Winner#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2012 at 9:56am

I want a Toy Story board. "To infinity... and BEYOND"
Instructor
Instructor

Quote highway12south Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2012 at 10:05am
Hiking for powder turns today 12/31.Contrary to belief .There is Blower pow in the mid atlantic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSVWobnQLFw
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2012 at 1:16pm
rested my knee up all week and finally got out for days 12 and 13 this weekend.  These were two of the best days I've had a Tahoe in a long time, the storm was great to us.  (Taking today off and planning a mt. rose sidecountry trip tomorrow, will see what happens).  My knee seems to feel fine when I'm hiking and riding a few lines but I'm a little concerned about what an entire day of pounding at the resort would do.  I'm considering riding only blower pow from now on . . . .

On saturday afternoon hiked with my wife at incline lake, just great conditions.  Here is a fone pic of her killing it:

Incline 2

Yesterday hiked the backside of a place called fireplug just off the tamarack parking lot.  I've been back there a few times but it was real good yesterday.  I didn't get any good action shots but my friend had a camera on me for a couple deep turns hopefully something turned out. 

From this spot you can see Mt. Houghton, which is kind of between Relay and Mt. Rose, there are some great lines up there but it seems like I never have the right combination of time and ambition to get all the way back there.  Someday:

Fireplug

Happy new year ppl.

-b
get bent
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2012 at 1:40pm
Fourth weekend so far. Spent Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at Belleayre. Lots of fresh snow in the trees and the sides of trails. Had to unstrap and climb out a few times which hasn't happened too often in the last two years. Decent conditions in the middle of most runs until Sunday afternoon, when some areas were scraped off or windswept.  Looks like we have a good season in store. 
jhoang6 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Mt. Seymour, BC

Quote jhoang6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2012 at 4:10pm
DAmn, that's a cute kid! and only 2?! and snowboarding.. hahah that's just awesome
great thing is you'll be able to see him progress and eventually be WAY better than you.
TWO! wow.. can't believe it.. 
snow's been falling and i haven't gone since it has )=!!
don't even have my snow tires on yet, nice and slippery right now.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2012 at 5:54pm
day 28, filmed with max and got some pretty sick shots.  I think I'll work on a little edit tomorrow.  real fun day.. pretty awesome conditions actually, at least on the east side.  wet "pow," but soft and fast.  shitty vis on the top half but it was rad.

anyway, I put extra preseason footage together in this little edit.  it's got me, jerms, and our friend and shop rider bri.

mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2012 at 7:46pm
^sweet video man!

It's been a slow season for me...only on day 10. Got a great day in boarding with my little siblings. We don't ask for much in CA...2-3 inches makes for a fantastic day.
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 1:13pm
I spent a couple of days in Tahoe boarding and it was awesome. The weather was nice and sunny and there was fresh powder :]
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 1:38pm
Day 14 = fun sidecountry tour at Mt. Rose to start the New Year yesterday.  Great conditions in Tahoe and a ton of awesome snow left, but the route we took made it a hell of a slog back to the parking lot and we really only got two runs before we were beat.  The terrain back there
is nice and steep and kind of perfect . . . until you have to hike back to the resort. 

Obligatory pic of my wife shredding some solar-exposed snow, a lot of what we found was mucho better:

mt rose erin

And her booting at the top of the hill with our friend carrie

Rise side3

and a gram of her hiking that I thought looked cool:

Rise side2

-b
get bent
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 1:53pm
B that's some awesome pics you got. The in-bounds stuff from yesterday was pretty fun too, and I got to test out my new GoPro, so more than likely I'll get some photos or a short vid up before long.
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 1:56pm
We're definitely going to ride sometime this year Rob.  Not sure why I left my phone in the car yesterday but I didn't see your text until we (miraculously) got back to the parking lot

-b
get bent
KINGJ4 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote KINGJ4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 2:26pm
Looks sick
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 2:41pm
Got my 6th day in today with 3 days in VT coming up later this week then a full week in Lake Tahoe a few days after. Gonna get more days in by Jan 19th than I did all of last year. What a difference a little snow and a couple fun people to ride with makes.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 6:27pm
awesome stuff bryman.  good to finally have someone else posting pictures regularly, haha.

day 29 today.  bunch of heavy new snow but the top 6+ inches were pretty soft, so it was a pretty rad day as far as I'm concerned.  rode charlie with jeremy and we filmed max.  kid is getting so good, it's weird.  we're going to film until his winter break is over from school (he's 14) and then I'll make an edit with all of it.  stoked to see what else we get in the next week....

here are a few video screenshots from today.  some other highlights.... double frontflips, weird backside millerflip on a big knob to drop off, etc.

gully gap

poked late fs 3 over the rope

method

kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 2:06pm
Day 18-22 was this long weekend at Mammoth. Sounds silly to say, but we've had mostly pow days on the weekends so it was awesome for bluebird conditions Monday and Tuesday. This season's been amazing with all the snow, but I am a park rat at heart. So when it finally stopped snowing, I was hitting the park hard. Finally throwing rotations in South Park, I got the balls to hit up Main. I was able to lap and hit the first 2 jumps there so feeling good, I went after the Showtime jump. First time hitting it so I knew I needed all the speed I could get. The problem was, off the lip, I turned my board (maybe out of habit from throwing rotations and/or being a bit sketched by the speed) I clipped my toe edge a bit and launched never having my center of gravity. Flew in the air sort of superman style with my upper body leading and not having my board underneath me. To make it worse, I could see the knuckle approaching and knew I was not gonna clear it. Idk how but at the last second I was able to pull my board underneath me and then bounced off the knuckle. I feel so lucky for not getting seriously hurt. Sorry thing is I have a trip in Feb and can't risk a big injury and won't be able to try this again until March when I get back. LOL, or at least this is the excuse I'm using Tongue

Its not fun unless its sketchy
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 4:19pm
^^Damn dude I was actually scared while reading your post! Way to build up the suspense. Glad you're okay.

youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 5:30pm
that's a big ass jump....coulda effed you up for the whole season
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 6:09pm
close call there... that stuff scares me.

day 30, happy hour.  good snow.  smooth groomers, fun little hits, and some filming/photos like jerms said.  more work with max.. got a couple more shots today.  stoked.  didn't go back for the double frontflip, but hopefully some time before the weekend is over.

couple screenshots from footage.

max, tailgrab over a gully gap.  you can see the flash from jeremy's slaves.. he got a super sick photo of this which I'm sure he will post later

and our buddy gibby who hasn't been riding long, and is from the midwest.  he's loving it here and is actually a pretty strong rider.  nice little melon over the gap...

kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Piranha

that's a big ass jump....coulda effed you up for the whole season

tell me about it. Going to sit out for 2 weeks though (aggrevated a tear I already had on PCL). And I finally got the video and when I watch it, I still have no idea how I got my board underneath me at the last second. I was just flapping my arms trying to fly! LOL. Definitely feeling lucky in 2013.  
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kirium81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 2:29pm
spenser, do you have video of the double frontflip?! I'd like to see!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 9:18pm
yeah, but we're compiling all this footage for a little video part covering his winter break from school.  he only tried once and stomped on it, but the impact made him sit down, so he didn't actually ride away.  soooo close though, might try tomorrow.

in other news.... day 31, happy hour.  snowed 3 inches of wet stuff so you got that firm compacted feel as people smashed it down, but it was still soft enough and fun.  pretty foggy up top though, but it's been worse.

filmed more with max.  didn't get a whole lot, just a couple shots, and some good bails.  the bail section will be great.

tried to hop over this big knob... didn't work out too well, hah.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 5:19pm
day 32 for me.  rode my '03 k2 parka and remembered how great a board it is.  rides awesome.  filmed more with max.  got a couple more shots, some lands and some bails.  stoked.

here's a screenshot.... stomped his trick, got knocked down while riding out, and tumbled directly at me head over heels down the steep slope into the trees where I was filming, with nowhere to move to get out of the way. I thought for sure I was getting taken out when I saw the base of his board barreling at my face just a few feet away, but somehow a collision was avoided.  clearly he was stoked on our close call, haha.

and here's the gully gap from the take off.. it's pretty much perfect like a park kicker now, after the dudes hit it a bunch this week.  not a huge gap or anything, just a rad little feature.  filmed a couple shots here that will be in the video.

nuggetuconn View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote nuggetuconn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 7:13pm
Only been once this year, heading to Mt. Southington in about 8hrs.
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 7:18pm
Got day 4 in thursday. Snow is weak here in MI but they didn't groom in the morning so I got to ride some fresh snow which was really a new experience. Nothing deeper than 5" of fresh but it was fun to ride. I would love to ride somewhere like Spensers edits. Just don't get that in MI (unless I drove forever to get to Mt. Bohemia).

Day 3 was a park day and I realized I really suck at park and don't know if I wan't to commit to learning or not. I just hate looking stupid (I know, I know I shouldn't every but has to start somewhere... but when there's 11 yr olds throwing corks you just feel like poo) 
~2011 CAPiTA Indoor Survival FK~2011 Union Cyan Forces~2012 Burton Rulers~
mluu003 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mluu003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2013 at 9:05pm
Finally on day 12 today! I'm a little slow this year...but I hope to hit 35+ days by the end of the season!
youtube.com/college4matt

^^good shizzle
mbesp View Drop Down
Local
Local
Hello

Quote mbesp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 5:54am
that gully gap pic is pretty intimidating, haha. I don't know if id be going off that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>